Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Topic Options
#1038348 - Tue Mar 18 2014 06:08 PM Team Heroes scoring scale
nautilator Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
In today's fairly obscure topic, a lot of people are playing the team heroes game in over 200 seconds. Quite a few are over 300 seconds. Is there any chance of the Expert scoring scale being applied to Team Heroes as well?

#1038359 - Tue Mar 18 2014 09:54 PM Re: Team Heroes scoring scale [Re: nautilator]
sb22705 Offline
Participant

Loc: Colorado USA
Several of us were talking on our team board on how this quiz felt like an Obscurity Quiz - it was tough.

#1038414 - Wed Mar 19 2014 09:12 AM Re: Team Heroes scoring scale [Re: nautilator]
salami_swami Offline

Loc: Colorado USA
Can we not open this can again?

I agree, a scoring system similar to expert would be nice to have for team heroes as well.

#1038417 - Wed Mar 19 2014 11:35 AM Re: Team Heroes scoring scale [Re: nautilator]
WesleyCrusher Offline

Administrator

Loc: Germany
Accusations against specific players, whether open or implied, are not permissible. This goes for everyone. If I see another one in the thread, it will be locked.

To get to the actual issue raised by the original poster, I would also support an Expert style threshold timing on the game (as well as on TvT), although the team games are supposed to be a bit more casual than the individual competitions, so I could imagine a softcap at 150 seconds (10 per question - a nice round number) rather than the 130 used by Expert and the GC.

Edited by WesleyCrusher (Wed Mar 19 2014 11:39 AM)

#1038439 - Wed Mar 19 2014 02:43 PM Re: Team Heroes scoring scale [Re: nautilator]
dg_dave Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Dallas TX USA                 
What about doing 180 seconds? That's a full three minutes, which should be plenty of time, or 12 seconds per question, and still *somewhat* even.

#1038441 - Wed Mar 19 2014 02:55 PM Re: Team Heroes scoring scale [Re: nautilator]
MiraJane Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New York USA
One day the topic os difficult and people want the scoring changed. Other days almost entire teams get 15/15 or 14/15 and no one has a thing to say.

It was a rough topic. Today's another day.

edited because I didn't catch autocorrect's correction.

Edited by MiraJane (Wed Mar 19 2014 02:56 PM)

#1038445 - Wed Mar 19 2014 03:55 PM Re: Team Heroes scoring scale [Re: MiraJane]
CmdrK Online   content
Mainstay

Loc: Nevada USA
I think it's fine as is. Take the easy with the difficult and let the scores fall where they may. The only complaints I ever hear from my teammates are when the questions are so verbose that people's attention wanders before we find out what's really being asked!

Edited by CmdrK (Wed Mar 19 2014 04:01 PM)

#1038833 - Sat Mar 22 2014 01:21 PM Re: Team Heroes scoring scale [Re: nautilator]
JanIQ Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Antwerp<br>Belgium
I've once had a question with such foolish red herrings I lost almost a full minute trying to survive the laughing hiccups.

#1038947 - Sun Mar 23 2014 12:20 PM Re: Team Heroes scoring scale [Re: nautilator]
HairyBear Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Florida USA
I would oppose any change in the scoring system to make it even MORE difficult to do well in tough categories, just because I find it so hard now to get my teammates to play the tough ones.

I enjoy the questions with funny answers.

Part of the reason for the verbosity is funtrivia's requirement that you phrase a question in an interesting way. Yesterday I had a six or seven word question about King Henry VIII. The lead up was about Anne Boleyn and had nothing to do with the question, but was included to make the whole thing more interesting. Instead it was just distracting and burned up time I could have been using to read the next question. I wouldn't mind shorter questions and lengthier extra info. Funtrivia might even add in a question length filter, keep timed quizzes' questions to 30 words or fewer.

#1038952 - Sun Mar 23 2014 01:33 PM Re: Team Heroes scoring scale [Re: HairyBear]
Emma058 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ontario Canada
I agree. I think timed quiz questions should be a reasonable length not short stories.
Originally Posted By: HairyBear
I would oppose any change in the scoring system to make it even MORE difficult to do well in tough categories, just because I find it so hard now to get my teammates to play the tough ones.

I enjoy the questions with funny answers.

Part of the reason for the verbosity is funtrivia's requirement that you phrase a question in an interesting way. Yesterday I had a six or seven word question about King Henry VIII. The lead up was about Anne Boleyn and had nothing to do with the question, but was included to make the whole thing more interesting. Instead it was just distracting and burned up time I could have been using to read the next question. I wouldn't mind shorter questions and lengthier extra info. Funtrivia might even add in a question length filter, keep timed quizzes' questions to 30 words or fewer.

#1038955 - Sun Mar 23 2014 02:20 PM Re: Team Heroes scoring scale [Re: nautilator]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Briar Hill Victoria Australia 
Single questions, designed for use in timed games, do have a definite length limit. The lengthy questions that come up are questions that were originally written for quizzes, a setting in which the length may actually be part of the pleasurable experience of the extended quiz. They can be removed from the timed games pool if you send a correction note when you encounter it in a timed game.

#1038965 - Sun Mar 23 2014 04:56 PM Re: Team Heroes scoring scale [Re: looney_tunes]
CmdrK Online   content
Mainstay

Loc: Nevada USA
Originally Posted By: looney_tunes
They can be removed from the timed games pool if you send a correction note when you encounter it in a timed game.

Be careful what you ask for, l_t! smile

#1038975 - Sun Mar 23 2014 07:28 PM Re: Team Heroes scoring scale [Re: nautilator]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

You can ask - an editor may or may not agree with you. I know how irritating it is to encounter lengthy questions, but the post above that referred to a six or seven word question that was not as direct as it could have been. As an editor, I would let that pass when the CN came in, as it is really not an unreasonable length, even if somewhat indirect. A question which actually requires that six or seven sentences be read, and which cannot be answered if you just skip to the end and see what they ask, however, would possibly be a candidate for removal. Possibly. I personally just take them as part of the varied flavor of the games that result when thousands of people make their own contributions, over a period fo more than ten years (during which time expectations have changed dramatically). But I wouldn't mind seeing the questions that ask me to multiply two 8-digit binary numbers together and then give the answer as a decimal number disappear. wink

#1039014 - Mon Mar 24 2014 02:49 AM Re: Team Heroes scoring scale [Re: looney_tunes]
HairyBear Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Florida USA
"They can be removed from the timed games pool if you send a correction note when you encounter it in a timed game."

News to me.

Just to clarify, the six or seven word question was straightforward and answerable by someone with a general knowledge of King Henry VIII. It was the two or three sentence lead up to the question that was confusing and pointless since it had nothing to do with the question. But six or seven word straightforward questions standing alone generally don't pass muster in funtrivia.

#1039016 - Mon Mar 24 2014 03:42 AM Re: Team Heroes scoring scale [Re: nautilator]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

Short questions are very welcome in the single question pool, as long as they haven't been asked before. Players may or may not rate them as interesting, but that is another matter that is out of editors' hands. In a quiz, something more is generally needed to make the quiz be more than just a string of random questions.

Moderator:  Terry