Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Topic Options
#1042484 - Fri Apr 18 2014 12:20 AM R.I.P. Gabriel García Márquez
TabbyTom Online   content

Loc: Hastings Sussex England UK    
Gabriel García Márquez, the author of One Hundred Years of Solitude and Love in the Time of the Cholera, has died in Mexico City at the age of 87.

A number of obituaries have already been posted on the web, including these from the BBC and The Guardian.

#1043085 - Thu Apr 24 2014 03:55 AM Re: R.I.P. Gabriel García Márquez [Re: TabbyTom]
ren33 Offline

Loc: Fanling
  Hong Kong      
I am ashamed to say I have not read One Hundred Years of Solitude, I really do not know why. I have reserved it at the library. What am to expect from it? Someone help!

#1043548 - Sun Apr 27 2014 09:41 AM Re: R.I.P. Gabriel García Márquez [Re: TabbyTom]
TabbyTom Online   content

Loc: Hastings Sussex England UK    
I have to admit that I'm also utterly unacquainted with his work, so I can't really say what we can expect from him.

I picked up a copy of "Love in the Time of the Cholera" in a charity shop the other day, but it's just one of a great many books that I've bought and have still to read. Since it's a German translation, I'll probably concentrate fairly hard on the text when I get round to it.

I suspect that the reason why I've ignored Latin American literature generally is the rumours I hear about the "magical realism" or mixture of the everyday and the fantastic that allegedly runs through it. I've always been rather averse to fantasy works, but I can see that I shouldn't judge what I haven't read simply because of its reputed content; so I'll try to start on García Márquez soon.

#1043606 - Sun Apr 27 2014 05:15 PM Re: R.I.P. Gabriel García Márquez [Re: TabbyTom]
dsimpy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Belfast Ireland
I've read "One Hundred Years of Solitude", "Love in the Time of Cholera" and a more recent (1994) novella "Of Love and Other Demons" - and thoroughly recommend all of them. The 'magic realism' is pretty seamless overall and doesn't grate or get in the way of reading the books.

Coincidentally the last book I read is also within that South American theme of magic realism - "The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao" by the US-Dominican Republic author Junot Díaz (won the Pulitzer a few years back). The heavy use of DR Spanish argot gets a little bit in the way, but other than that I'd thoroughly recommend it after (or before, or during(!)) dipping into Garcia Marquez. It's an incredibly moving and well-written novel.

#1043607 - Sun Apr 27 2014 05:44 PM Re: R.I.P. Gabriel García Márquez [Re: TabbyTom]
ren33 Offline

Loc: Fanling
  Hong Kong      
Thanks. Could you count Isabelle Allende in the "magical realism" genre? I suppose you could, and I have read most of her work. No that didn't interfere with enjoying the books.

Moderator:  LeoDaVinci, ren33, TabbyTom