Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Topic Options
#1046201 - Fri May 16 2014 11:13 AM Quiz/Game Shows
Abby_91 Offline
Participant

Loc: Singapore
I've been obsessed with Game shows since I was a boy. A love affair that started with fun, crazy games before trivia became the top draw for me.

Yeah my love for these shows started with oldies like Supermarket Sweep and $1,000,000 Chance of a Lifetime, but ever since I was a boy, it was JEOPARDY! that got me excited for Questions and Answers. I've been locked in a craze need for knowledge for that show since young, and though the TV Station stopped airing the show almost 18 years ago, it left a mark on me like nothing else. While solving puzzles by a wheel and guessing prices of grocery items dominated the airwaves, I was craving for more and more of JEOPARDY! Thankfully, there's Youtube laugh Which saved my life and my fix for the show. It's a very Rain Man quality of me lol. Back then, I could barely answer a thing. Now, I average score between $8000 to about $15,000. Highest score I amassed was $20,600 of pure questions. I would love to play...but I'm not an American citizen frown

Other shows that caught my fancy over the years, ranking 2nd would be Hollywood Squares for it's humor, while the old Regis hosted Who Wants to be a Millionaire would be 3rd. Simple times with those shows, and all were fun.

Honorable Mentions:
1 vs. 100: Questions were easy as heck, but the psychology of facing 100 people always attracted me.
Duel: Short, but underrated. Like a game of Poker with trivia. It had great potential overall.

So let's share, whats your opinion on quiz shows and what was your favourite?

#1046294 - Sat May 17 2014 06:41 PM Re: Quiz/Game Shows [Re: Abby_91]
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
I LOVED Supermarket Sweep - I always wanted to be on that one! There was also one with a mall-type setting I liked.

Editor for Television Category

#1046298 - Sat May 17 2014 07:59 PM Re: Quiz/Game Shows [Re: ladymacb29]
dg_dave Online   crying
Star Poster

Loc: Dallas, TX USA              
Originally Posted By: ladymacb29
There was also one with a mall-type setting I liked.

That was Shop til You Drop, and it is on GSN on occasion again. I remember when Supermarket Sweep was on Lifetime, Shop til You Drop immediately followed it.

#1046347 - Sun May 18 2014 10:22 AM Re: Quiz/Game Shows [Re: Abby_91]
Abby_91 Offline
Participant

I watched Shop till You Drop too, I just didn't really catch on to it. Nice set, but I didn't dig the gameplay.

#1046374 - Sun May 18 2014 02:33 PM Re: Quiz/Game Shows [Re: Abby_91]
guitargoddess Offline

Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada         
I don't get Game Show Network in my cable package any more but I get Game TV which has some game shows from the '80s on it. I really like Talkabout, it was a Canadian show I think.

Jeopardy is definitely my favourite though. It's an enduring classic.

#1046390 - Sun May 18 2014 06:19 PM Re: Quiz/Game Shows [Re: guitargoddess]
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
Yes, Shop Til You Drop was the show...

Anyone remember Fun House? I always wanted to be on that or Double Dare when I was growing up.

Editor for Television Category

#1046393 - Sun May 18 2014 07:14 PM Re: Quiz/Game Shows [Re: Abby_91]
dg_dave Online   crying
Star Poster

I don't remember Fun House, but wish they hadn't dropped Nick GaS as a channel, as I liked Legends of the Hidden Temple and Nick Arcade.

#1046395 - Sun May 18 2014 08:31 PM Re: Quiz/Game Shows [Re: Abby_91]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
I never really liked the shopping shows, but "Jeopardy" is the only thing I miss from having a TV.

#1046450 - Mon May 19 2014 10:44 AM Re: Quiz/Game Shows [Re: dg_dave]
Abby_91 Offline
Participant

Originally Posted By: dg_dave
I don't remember Fun House, but wish they hadn't dropped Nick GaS as a channel, as I liked Legends of the Hidden Temple and Nick Arcade.

OOHH Legends was such a big hit for me. Left a big big patch on my heart. It was such a fun show, and that time there was also Masters of the Maze, which was alright but Mario Lopez's hosting capabilities was a little rough on the edges.

#1046453 - Mon May 19 2014 11:17 AM Re: Quiz/Game Shows [Re: Abby_91]
dg_dave Online   crying
Star Poster

I remember Masters of the Maze, but never watched it.

Another one I remember watching, and it has been on GSN again somewhat recently, was $ale of the Century. About any of the game shows from the 80's, with the exception of The Newlywed Game (Bob Eubanks was a great host, as I used to watch Card Sharks and other ones he hosted, but I didn't care for the show itself).

A series my mother liked watching, but now can't unless you can find a few episodes on YouTube was Dream House from 1983.

Originally Posted By: wikipedia
Episode Status

In 2013, the studio master tapes, which were in the possession of series creator Don Reid, were destroyed by a flood.

One I wish they'd replay again that I haven't seen in quite some time is Scrabble.

#1050494 - Fri Jun 27 2014 07:19 PM Re: Quiz/Game Shows [Re: Abby_91]
TriviaFan22 Offline
Explorer

Loc: Texas USA
i can't name all the ones i liked, it would take too long. but Match Game with Gene Rayburn was quite hilarious at times, they had a great panel. I liked Family Feud with Richard Dawson (Richard Karn was okay too). But Jeopardy is the only one I watch now. Game shows have gotten so dumb in recent years, they have nothing to do with trivia, which made game shows in the old days good. Oh yeah, and the American Bible Challenge with Jeff Foxworthy

#1050495 - Fri Jun 27 2014 07:20 PM Re: Quiz/Game Shows [Re: Abby_91]
TriviaFan22 Offline
Explorer

Loc: Texas USA
Masters.. That was a great one.. It seemed like I never saw it on much. I was only born in '88.

#1050635 - Sat Jun 28 2014 08:38 PM Re: Quiz/Game Shows [Re: Abby_91]
ren33 Offline

Loc: Fanling
  Hong Kong      
Can I mention the British ones?
I used to LOVE "15 to 1" It is now back with Sandy whatsit and not good.
At the moment I love "Pointless" , mainly because of Alexander and Richard(such fun)
I love University Challenge best and always have.
We have a dreadful thing called "Deal or no Deal". To me it is mindless tosh but lots of people love it. Mastermind and The Chase are favourites with me.
Game shows are amazingly popular in UK.

#1051703 - Sun Jul 06 2014 06:04 PM Re: Quiz/Game Shows [Re: ren33]
dg_dave Online   crying
Star Poster

Originally Posted By: ren33
We have a dreadful thing called "Deal or no Deal".

We had one as well...I never really got into it.

Is the Chaser the same in yours as in ours? I know the host/ess is different, as ours is Brooke Burns. Our Chaser is a 6'7" 370 pound man...cannot remember his name though.

Moderator:  ladymacb29, SilverMoonsong