Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Topic Options
#1049088 - Mon Jun 16 2014 05:21 PM Making a change to "There's no I in Team" badge
ElusiveDream Offline
Participant

Loc: Victoria Australia
I have a team called The Frost Dragons. My team-mates and I think the "There's no I in Team" badge is causing a lot of what we like to call "Dead Wood" in our team. Why? Because people are joining our team just to get this badge, and once they get it, they don't bother to participate actively within the team. We suggest that a change be made to this badge so that it's only available to players who've been active members of their teams for six months or longer. Would this change be possible?

#1049124 - Mon Jun 16 2014 11:00 PM Re: Making a change to "There's no I in Team" badge [Re: ElusiveDream]
DireWolf74 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Illinois USA
Might as well comment on this while I'm over here. I never understood why these "dead wood" players bothered people so much. Why? Because the people who join your team just to get this badge and don't bother to participate actively within the team don't interfere with the way the rest of your team chooses to participate in any way. I suggest just ignoring them or even removing them if it bothers you that much and enjoy your time on here with the people who participate in the way that you deem to be "right".

#1049128 - Tue Jun 17 2014 12:09 AM Re: Making a change to "There's no I in Team" badge [Re: ElusiveDream]
ElusiveDream Offline
Participant

Loc: Victoria Australia
I've removed quite a few inactive players from my team and the way I see it, if you join a team, you should be prepared to contribute and work together with your team-mates. What's the point of being in a team if you're not prepared to be a team player?

#1049178 - Tue Jun 17 2014 07:05 AM Re: Making a change to "There's no I in Team" badge [Re: ElusiveDream]
DireWolf74 Offline
Forum Adept

You have to realize that things like one day players are going to happen on any kind of free to play type game site where anybody can join. Heck, Terry even let me slip through the door. There was some ritual hazing involved, but I'm not allowed to talk about it. crazy

I don't think there is much you can do to stop it. Even if you changed the badge requirements, there would still be players who join a team for a bit and decide that it just isn't for them and never come back. And I don't know why people do it either, but it's not something that I spend any time worrying about. We had somebody join our team the other week long enough to post on the team chat board that they had just scored a 1000 on a quiz, we all posted our notes of congratulations to them but they never came back. Chalk it up to being one of life's mysteries and don't let it ruin your experience on here. I have seen players that I thought would be one and done types or who didn't participate very much at first become much more active after a few months. It takes time to find your way around on here and for some people it takes time to become comfortable enough to post their thoughts on public message boards.

Like I said, these players don't prevent other people from joining your team and participating. The only reason I can see removing them is if things like this drive you so insane that you can't take it anymore or if you are trying to maintain a certain team size.

Edited by DireWolf74 (Tue Jun 17 2014 07:13 AM)
Edit Reason: Still half asleep, so just to make sure that I was coherent

#1049180 - Tue Jun 17 2014 07:13 AM Re: Making a change to "There's no I in Team" badge [Re: ElusiveDream]
WesleyCrusher Offline

Administrator

Loc: Germany
If you're running a policy of minimum required activity, you would be best served stating it in your team description and possibly also setting your team to invite only. While the "invite" setting is not a barrier to anyone determined to join your team, it does remove the immediate "join now" button that attracts newbies who are interested only in the award.

#1049182 - Tue Jun 17 2014 07:16 AM Re: Making a change to "There's no I in Team" badge [Re: ElusiveDream]
DireWolf74 Offline
Forum Adept

Great advice, that's something I didn't even think about. Leave it to Wesley...

#1050260 - Wed Jun 25 2014 11:23 AM Re: Making a change to "There's no I in Team" badge [Re: ElusiveDream]
shuehorn Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Lawrenceville Georgia USA     
I find that people's participation is often cyclic. Sometimes I have a lot of time and energy to take part in FT, and I do. Other times life gets in the way and I can be absent for weeks and sometimes months. Luckily, there is an understanding that not everyone has the same circumstances all the time. I do wish my team were more active, as it once was, but there is an ebb and flow to team activity as well.

#1050262 - Wed Jun 25 2014 11:47 AM Re: Making a change to "There's no I in Team" badge [Re: ElusiveDream]
Christinap Offline
Prolific

Loc: Essex UK
I agree. We all have times when "real life" gets in the way and we are here less or not at all. As for team activity, well some people like to play but not chat, some like to chat but not play that much, some do both but in small amounts, others do both in large amounts. It doesn't bother me over much. If someone hasn't even logged into FT for over a year I will probably remove them from the team if someone else wants to join and I want to keep the numbers at a certain size, otherwise, either live and let live or pursue a ruthless dead wood policy but make it clear on the team blurb that is what you do.

#1050266 - Wed Jun 25 2014 12:59 PM Re: Making a change to "There's no I in Team" badge [Re: ElusiveDream]
DireWolf74 Offline
Forum Adept

Not that I'm trying to do any recruiting, but our team has a complete open door policy. No requirement to play any of the team games. No chatting if you don't want to. No automatic boot if you don't log on for a year. I think we have one player who maybe played Team Heroes once or twice, but mainly I think he plays nothing but "Who's the Expert?". The only rule is to try to get along with everyone. And like the others said the amount of chatting varies greatly, depending on how busy everybody is.

#1050269 - Wed Jun 25 2014 02:20 PM Re: Making a change to "There's no I in Team" badge [Re: ElusiveDream]
kyleisalive Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Toronto, Canada, eh!
Originally Posted By: ElusiveDream
I've removed quite a few inactive players from my team and the way I see it, if you join a team, you should be prepared to contribute and work together with your team-mates. What's the point of being in a team if you're not prepared to be a team player?

One thing that most team leaders end up learning (on this site, or in the real world) is that peoples' free will will never cease. wink

Expecting a ton of participation out of team members on a site with no real obligation may be fruitless if that's what you're going for. In my opinion, Wes' option is likely the best one, though it'll never guarantee that anyone invited in won't just log out for a while and be inactive.

You're always going to have, as you call it, 'dead wood' unless you continuously remove and admit new people. Of course, then it's a revolving door. wink

Edited by kyleisalive (Wed Jun 25 2014 02:20 PM)

#1050914 - Mon Jun 30 2014 01:35 PM Re: Making a change to "There's no I in Team" badge [Re: ElusiveDream]
mcsurfie Offline
Participant

Loc: Kent United Kingdom         
Perhaps it could also be added as a requirement to the "There is no "I" in Team" badge that a member must also score 100,000 team points to qualify. That may stop some joining a team, making lots of posts just to get a badge.

Either that or a minimum points score to join a team to stop those who become a member of Funtriva, only to play a short time, never to be seen again.

But really a team leader might be better off explaining what they require from a prospective team member when they join a team in the first place as to what is expected of them.

Moderator:  Terry