Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Topic Options
#1049714 - Sat Jun 21 2014 12:13 AM Missing movie scenes
ElusiveDream Offline
Participant

Loc: Victoria Australia
Sometimes I've been watching a blockbuster movie on television and I've noticed that 2 or 3 scenes have been removed. Has anyone else ever noticed this?

#1049715 - Sat Jun 21 2014 12:30 AM Re: Missing movie scenes [Re: ElusiveDream]
pyonir Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Minnesota USA
Usually because the movie is edited to remove content to fit the rating required to show on TV. I guess it would depend on how they do that in Australia, but if you watch a film on television (not a movie channel like HBO and not pay-per-view) in the US, it's always edited for content.

Now if the movie is supposed to be unedited, and there are scenes removed...that might be an issue. Depends largely on the movie but sometimes scenes are removed for the DVD/TV release.

#1049831 - Sat Jun 21 2014 01:25 PM Re: Missing movie scenes [Re: pyonir]
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
What's annoying is when something's *added* from the theatrical version. Like in Star Trek VI, there's a scene where Worf's grandfather says "This is not Klingon blood". I've watched the movie so many times that I know where it fits. But then we got the theatrical version on blu-ray and it wasn't in it. Turns out it was never in the version shown in theatres and was only added for the VHS/DVD release...

Editor for Television Category

#1049835 - Sat Jun 21 2014 02:05 PM Re: Missing movie scenes [Re: ElusiveDream]
MiraJane Online   confused
Enthusiast

Loc: New York USA
Sometimes movies are edited "to fit the time slot" as the blurb in the beginning says. At times it is only a few words of dialogue strewn throughout the movie but it is noticeable.

#1049956 - Sun Jun 22 2014 08:11 PM Re: Missing movie scenes [Re: ElusiveDream]
ElusiveDream Offline
Participant

Loc: Victoria Australia
I can understand that sometimes scenes with things like bad language may be removed, but, personally, I don't think that a scene containing no bad content should be removed.

#1052006 - Tue Jul 08 2014 06:43 PM Re: Missing movie scenes [Re: ElusiveDream]
varnish Offline
Participant

Loc: Massachusetts USA
Too bad there aren't more channels that are independent such as
IFC and the sundance channel, their disclaimer at the beginning of
Movies is that they are NOT edited for content or time.

#1052242 - Thu Jul 10 2014 12:33 PM Re: Missing movie scenes [Re: varnish]
Gheelnory Offline
Explorer

Loc: Florida USA
Originally Posted By: varnish
Too bad there aren't more channels that are independent such as
IFC and the sundance channel, their disclaimer at the beginning of
Movies is that they are NOT edited for content or time.

I agree; it's nice to know we're getting the movie as it was intended to be seen. (And getting to see the credits is a wonderful bonus.)

#1052354 - Fri Jul 11 2014 07:43 PM Re: Missing movie scenes [Re: ElusiveDream]
varnish Offline
Participant

Yeah, instead of them either scrolling by at Mach 1,
Or the type is reduced so small it could fit on a 1 inch screen!

#1052451 - Sat Jul 12 2014 12:23 PM Re: Missing movie scenes [Re: varnish]
Gheelnory Offline
Explorer

Or the type is reduced so small it could fit on a 1 inch screen!

This is a pet peeve of mine--even in movie theaters (so no television channel can be blamed), the typeface of credits seems to be getting smaller and smaller.

Granted, modern movies credit far more people than was the case even twenty years ago. Every person who worked for the catering company and every driver and every clerk back in the production offices gets named.

BUT there is no time limit for credits--so why the teensy font? Many theater-goers leave the minute they begin, so it scarcely matters whether the credits run for three minutes or eight or whatever.

(Possibly I should make a separate thread for this pet peeve, but then again perhaps I'm the only person bothered by the Shrinking Credits-Font situation...^_^)

#1052770 - Sun Jul 13 2014 01:16 PM Re: Missing movie scenes [Re: ElusiveDream]
varnish Offline
Participant

No, your not the only one., many times I will hear a song from the soundtrack of a movie that I like,
And end up not finding out who the artist is, because of this problem. It's very aggravating.

#1052774 - Sun Jul 13 2014 02:53 PM Re: Missing movie scenes [Re: Gheelnory]
DireWolf74 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Illinois USA
Originally Posted By: Gheelnory
(Possibly I should make a separate thread for this pet peeve, but then again perhaps I'm the only person bothered by the Shrinking Credits-Font situation...^_^)

No, I'm with you. Sometimes I want to see what band sang whatever song or there's always the "Hey, wasn't that so and so in that scene playing the 3rd guy to the left?" It's nice to be able to put a name with so and so's face every once in awhile.

Kind of hard to tell what's what as those credits whiz by in that microscopic font.

(Now trending on twitter: "Shrinking Credits-Font situation" & "So and so's face")

#1053184 - Tue Jul 15 2014 01:11 PM Re: Missing movie scenes [Re: DireWolf74]
Gheelnory Offline
Explorer

Originally Posted By: DireWolf74
(Now trending on twitter: "Shrinking Credits-Font situation" & "So and so's face")

Really? I have to admit I don't Tweet. But if this really WERE getting a lot of attention, then perhaps filmmakers would respond with more readable credits... grin

#1053440 - Wed Jul 16 2014 05:58 PM Re: Missing movie scenes [Re: ElusiveDream]
varnish Offline
Participant

Wow, I guess we're not the only ones! You would
think the filmmakers would want to make sure you see all
the credits, boosting over-all profits.(such as soundtracks).

#1059820 - Mon Aug 18 2014 02:26 PM Re: Missing movie scenes [Re: ElusiveDream]
LBaggins Online   content
Mainstay

Loc: Georgia USA
I guess it's not just me and my aging eyes then.

Films with lots of special effects have credits that run forever, and I believe everyone should get the credit they're due--even if I'm not particularly interested. But it does make it difficult to find what you may truly be interested in! That's where the Internet, especially IMDb, comes in handy.

I went to the Atlanta premiere of "Fried Green Tomatoes". It's the only time in my experience where the audience sat through the entire credits, cheering and applauding the names of their friends and coworkers.

#1059827 - Mon Aug 18 2014 03:25 PM Re: Missing movie scenes [Re: ElusiveDream]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

For a couple of years I have been seeking my movie 'fix' by watching the DVD. I enjoy most the ones that have Director Commentary tracks. I will watch the movie a second time listening to the director's take on why the film was distributed the way it was. They seem to hate the scalpel taken to their sculptures as much as we do. But, it is out of their control. On TV the stories are chopped to fit a time window. In the theaters the same happens based on 'test panel previews' to which the marketeers decide to make the telling of the tale fit the lowest common denominator. The Directors all seem to love the DVD experience because they can add back in what was chopped, return the language to what was scripted, etc. I recently watched "Once Upon a Time in Mexico", directed by Robert Rodriguez who is one director who loves to explain why certain scenes were shot the way they were (actor availability, location and lighting considerations, weather!, set readiness, etc.). In this movie he even goes into adding the preparation of one character's favorite meals.
Another beauty of watching the DVD is that the credits scroll can be slowed, stopped or re-run according to your needs and wishes. One of my DVD players is equipped with a zoom and point function allowing the expansion of tiny credits to a legible size. My portable player cost me about $100. Many libraries are supplied with vast DVD collections. I'm sure that downloading films off the net can be just as rewarding if you have the same control as DVD format presents. It would seem the film industry moguls who fund all the big films are aware of the drawbacks of enjoying (and spending money on) the way the industry offered their product just ten short years ago. Back then they didn't have the Voice-over Descriptive commentary which I find indispensable as my eyesight begins to fade. Movies on TV? A big waste.

Edited by mehaul (Mon Aug 18 2014 03:27 PM)
Dale Peters 'Dreaming in the Country' James Gang (1971)

#1059892 - Mon Aug 18 2014 07:02 PM Re: Missing movie scenes [Re: mehaul]
Mainstay

A very interesting summary, mehaul.

I'm not trying to pimp "The Lord of the Rings", but the Extended Edition DVDs of those films are the acme of anything I've ever seen. As a trilogy it has more than TWO HOURS of extended scenes, which are put into the films in their proper place with accompanying music and editing, rather than included as "extras". They add so much to the story! Plus each film has FOUR commentaries: the writers, the actors, the design team and the production and post-production teams. Plus a multitude of documentaries on various aspects of making the films. I could ramble on and on, but anyone who's especially interested can look this info up for themselves. I'll just say that there are enough "extras" to require two additional discs for each film, beyond the movie and commentary discs.

I enjoy getting older films on DVD, but, as you suggest, it can be frustrating when they come with NO extras. Of course when they were made, no one had a crystal ball to predict that anyone would someday be interested in all this extra information. We're lucky to be living in a time when TPTB are more aware of the possibilities, and the "extras" are filmed in the first place.

#1059905 - Mon Aug 18 2014 09:32 PM Re: Missing movie scenes [Re: ElusiveDream]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
The extra that I am most interested in is close captioning or subtitles. It's getting to the point that I might not watch a movie that doesn't include them.

#1060367 - Wed Aug 20 2014 04:18 PM Re: Missing movie scenes [Re: ElusiveDream]
varnish Offline
Participant

Yeah, The Lord of the rings extended versions are
Definitely the best I have owned, with the added scenes
Truly adding to the movie. I would def. recommend getting
Them as well.-as a matter of fact, I think I'll put in ROTK
Right now!--thanks for the idea, LBaggins!!

#1060434 - Thu Aug 21 2014 01:15 AM Re: Missing movie scenes [Re: varnish]
Mainstay

Yeah, The Lord of the rings extended versions are
Definitely the best I have owned, with the added scenes
Truly adding to the movie. I would def. recommend getting
Them as well.-as a matter of fact, I think I'll put in ROTK
Right now!--thanks for the idea, LBaggins!!

Always happy to help! 8-)

The extra bits on ROTK are massive!

Moderator:  ladymacb29, SilverMoonsong