Rules
Terms of Use

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#1054858 - Thu Jul 24 2014 12:42 PM Re: July's One per week Theme is Froot and Flars
martin_cube Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Bristol England†UK††††††††
Originally Posted By: DivineMsDRL
It is a petunia, an annual that comes in all colours.

Oh, thank you. I'll try to remember that. smile

#1054952 - Thu Jul 24 2014 07:52 PM Re: July's One per week Theme is Froot and Flars
Jakeroo Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Alberta Canada
definitely a petunia.

Speaking of chocolate and pets? Our Irish Setter had a hayday every Christmas, because people who came to our open houses invariably brought boxes of chocolates. The dog devoured them all, including the cardboard boxes and foil wrappers. She lived til she was 14. Lucky her, she ate more Purdy's chocolates than I ever have lol.

I think it has more to do with the weight of the dog vs the amount of chocolate. Perhaps something smaller than a pug might succumb, but an Irish? Nah. She was never fat either.

Not many cats are allergic to pollen either. Yes it can be extreme with CERTAIN cats (just as it is with humans), but not the general populace as a whole. If that were so, then feral cats would not be so prevalent around the world. Trust me, they're a problem, just ask Scandinavia. It's possible, I suppose, that lilies in Australia are more toxic than those on the rest of the planet (rather like their bugs and snakes lol), but I'd rather consult a horticulturist for verification. And you really don't want me to get into a discussion about poinsettias lol.

This sort of reminds me of the "Swiffer Scandal" where emails were rampant that floors cleaned with swiffer cleaning fluid were toxic to animals if they licked their paws after walking on the floors. Turned out to be a slam campaign by a rival company in an attempt to discredit the company.

Potato leaves are highly toxic (to humans, as well as animals). But I don't think many people will stop planting potatoes on the off-chance that someone or some animal will eat the leaves instead of the potato itself. Besides, Darwin's Law and all that lol.

Edited by Jakeroo (Fri Jul 25 2014 08:09 AM)

#1055021 - Fri Jul 25 2014 10:03 AM Re: July's One per week Theme is Froot and Flars
MotherGoose Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Western Australia
Quote:
Jeesh folks, stop believing everything you receive in your emails (either from "trusted" friends or from junk mail). We're supposed to be smart people here. Do your own research - THOROUGHLY, not just from one source. Think objectively.

Pardon me, but I find the remarks quoted above (and the obvious inference that those who disagree with you are gullible, and not "smart" or "objective") quite offensive.

You seem to expect people to accept your singular and anecdotal "evidence" about your dog and cat ("No cat in my house has ever even attempted to eat anything growing in the house"..."Our Irish Setter had a heyday every Christmas") but don't extend the same courtesy to other forum members who have actually had first-hand experience with an affected animal.

The toxicity of lilies with regard to cats is well documented. What we don't yet understand is why the toxicity is selective (i.e. not all cats are affected by the toxin whereas it is fatal to others); the same applies to chocolate toxicity in dogs.

I don't understand why you feel the need to keep arguing about this when you haven't offered a shred of evidence for any of your assertions. Just exactly what scientific evidence do you have to back up your claims that "very few animals (or people for that matter) have a problem with plants" or that "Not many cats are allergic to pollen"?

If you did your own research, as per your own advice, it would only take you a few minutes using Google to find plenty of evidence about the danger of lilies to cats from well recognised and reputable publications/organisations such as the Merck Veterinary Manual, the Journal of American Veterinary Medical Association, the ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Centre, and the University of California Dept of Veterinary Medicine.

Renís brief initial warning about the toxicity of lilies really did not warrant your lengthy responses which involved all sorts of irrelevancies including mention of other plants and animals, chocolate toxicity, poinsettias, feral cats, Scandinavia, Swiffer and Darwinís law.

Now can we please return the focus to photography!?

#1055029 - Fri Jul 25 2014 10:31 AM Re: July's One per week Theme is Froot and Flars
Chavs Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ireland
I am sure no offence was meant by anyone. I thought we were all just chatting!! frown
I was enjoying it! smile

#1055037 - Fri Jul 25 2014 02:31 PM Re: July's One per week Theme is Froot and Flars
Jakeroo Offline
Multiloquent

Actually I removed those comments that I thought some of you might find offensive long before you responded, MG. I'd be happy to return to photography. I was going to post a picture of my cat sleeping in a bed of lilies, but decided some people might not like that either lol.

#1055059 - Fri Jul 25 2014 05:34 PM Re: July's One per week Theme is Froot and Flars
MotherGoose Offline
Multiloquent

Quote:
Actually I removed those comments that I thought some of you might find offensive long before you responded, MG.

Actually, I replied immediately but I stored my answer on my computer for a few hours because I had to go out and while I pondered whether or not to post it. I posted it when I got home, not realising that, in the meantime, you edited your post. I'm glad you agree your comments were offensive.

Edited by MotherGoose (Fri Jul 25 2014 05:48 PM)

#1055060 - Fri Jul 25 2014 05:46 PM Re: July's One per week Theme is Froot and Flars
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong† Hong†Kong††††††
No they wouldnt. Now, the fact remains that
1. some animals are affected, therefore it is well to heed warnings(thanks MG for your information on the various experts on this)
2 We WERE 'just chatting'.
3 We don't need to get aerated , leave that for other areas of the internet
4 This is a Photo forum, so please leave all this other stuff out if you can't be objective.

#1055062 - Fri Jul 25 2014 06:16 PM Re: July's One per week Theme is Froot and Flars
Jakeroo Offline
Multiloquent

I thought we were "just chatting" as well. Apparently, three of you didn't. Apologies. I did not deny that SOME animals can be affected by pretty much anything. It's hardly an epidemic, although some of you have seemed to imply that that is so.

And here's the thing, while I attacked exactly NO one personally, one of the moderators here did, to me, PERSONALLY and in PUBLIC. An email would have sufficed, but no. Hardly proper behaviour, even for a moderator methinks

Here's my take on moderators. a) they need to leave familial and friendship alliances aside when they come down with the gavel and b) unless the language is offensive, then no topic should be considered off topic and c) it is not up to moderators to decide what is or is not relevant to a conversation that didn't involve them in the first place and d) psst everybody you're not allowed to post any comments whatsoever here, you're just allowed to post pics (seriously? I WANT to know where/when/why the pic was taken, so please please allow people to comment as much as they wish!)

Somebody's cat might be stupid enough to eat a mushroom, does that mean we can't post a pic of one without someone commenting on the fact that it might be poisonous to a cat? Really, the person at fault in all this was the lily comment in the first place - how was THAT "relevant" or ON topic or whatever and why was THAT comment allowed, but none of the others following were deemed acceptable? Honestly, if there was an epidemic of cats dying from lily pollen inhaling, I'm sure we'd all be frantic about it by now. Personally, I'm more concerned that over 2 billion people on the planet are starving to death and don't have fresh drinking water, but hey, let's not look at the BIG picture.

This current attitude is not becoming in any way whatsoever and I must admit that I thought better of some of you previously.

Peace out.

Edited by Jakeroo (Sat Jul 26 2014 09:11 AM)

#1055070 - Fri Jul 25 2014 06:52 PM Re: July's One per week Theme is Froot and Flars
Jakeroo Offline
Multiloquent

btw, very nice pic of the lupin, flopsy. I used to grow them and LOVED all the colours, but the aphids (and the ants who farmed their honeydew) pretty much killed that option so I dug them up. I'm quite jealous.

#1055072 - Fri Jul 25 2014 07:01 PM Re: July's One per week Theme is Froot and Flars
ren33 Offline

Please, look again at what I said and how I worded it "They are just gorgeous Liz, but do check if they are harmful to cats. Many lilies are."
As I have already asked
this is a primarily a photo forum, so please leave all this other stuff out if you can't be objective, no one is suggesting we cannot discuss subjects that arise..
On my part it is nothing personal, but I have to protect the well-being of the forum and everyone in it. So no more , thanks.

Edited by ren33 (Fri Jul 25 2014 07:09 PM)

#1055073 - Fri Jul 25 2014 07:02 PM Re: July's One per week Theme is Froot and Flars
MotherGoose Offline
Multiloquent

I hang my head in shame, as an Australian and as a biologist, that I can't tell you what kind of eucalypt this is. When I did my biology degree, I avoided Botany like the plague (due to my extreme hayfever and plant allergies) and focused on Zoology and Veterinary units instead. However, I saw this lovely specimen in a park recently and couldn't resist getting up close to it. The bees were just loving it too - I was lucky I didn't get stung!

Edited by MotherGoose (Fri Jul 25 2014 07:03 PM)

#1055096 - Fri Jul 25 2014 09:54 PM Re: July's One per week Theme is Froot and Flars
ozzz2002 Online   FT-cool

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia
MG, I think that is an Ironbark, but not sure of which one.

Does it look like this?
http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/...ed-Ironbark.pdf

Ex-Editor, Hobbies and Sports, and Forum Moderator

#1055106 - Sat Jul 26 2014 01:11 AM Re: July's One per week Theme is Froot and Flars
MotherGoose Offline
Multiloquent

I am not sure, Ozzz. Ironbark doesn't grow naturally in WA but it was planted in a park so it could have been introduced. Also, the tree was quite small compared to the one in the picture you posted. At the time I took the photo, I wasn't focused on trying to identify it so I didn't take notice of details like the bark, leaves, etc.

#1055164 - Sat Jul 26 2014 07:48 AM Re: July's One per week Theme is Froot and Flars
zorba_scank Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Sydney, Australia
MG, I've seen similar flowers here in India. At least, I think they look similar. smile

Taken in Ketchikan, Alaska

#1055170 - Sat Jul 26 2014 08:12 AM Re: July's One per week Theme is Froot and Flars
ren33 Offline

Who would have thought that pansies would survive in Alaska!

#1055192 - Sat Jul 26 2014 09:25 AM Re: July's One per week Theme is Froot and Flars
Jakeroo Offline
Multiloquent

Zorba: did you take that picture while on a cruise? And did you get to go salmon fishing? It's quite a famous place for that sort of thing.

#1055266 - Sat Jul 26 2014 11:30 AM Re: July's One per week Theme is Froot and Flars
DivineMsDRL Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Okotoks Alberta†Canada†††††††
Petunias and pansies are beautiful flowers. But, they require so much dead heading. I've not planted them in my garden for some years now.

#1055278 - Sat Jul 26 2014 01:52 PM Re: July's One per week Theme is Froot and Flars
flopsymopsy Offline

Administrator

Loc: Northampton England UK
Psst! Come over here, I need to whisper so the slugs don't hear. My lupin is having a baby! On a side stalk. Annnnd *pause for drum roll* another lupin plant has got a flower stalk and it's pink! grin

I've just been outside spreading slug repellent. Oh well, into every life a little rain must fall. Which would be fine, we need rain!

#1055286 - Sat Jul 26 2014 04:13 PM Re: July's One per week Theme is Froot and Flars
Christinap Offline
Prolific

Loc: Essex UK
Originally Posted By: DivineMsDRL
Petunias and pansies are beautiful flowers. But, they require so much dead heading. I've not planted them in my garden for some years now.

I don't bother dead heading petunias and they seem to go all summer thriving on blissful neglect. Pansies, I agree you need to dead head, but if you wait until there are quite a lot and the plant is getting a bit straggly if you cut one side of it back with shears, wait a few days, then do the other side, the whole plant shoots out again with a mass of flowers within a very short space of time.

Flopsy, the news on your lupins is exciting. Hope those slugs leave it alone or die in the process of trying to get at it.

#1055295 - Sat Jul 26 2014 05:45 PM Re: July's One per week Theme is Froot and Flars
ren33 Offline

We need to have a Lupinfest. Brilliant news!

#1055308 - Sat Jul 26 2014 06:43 PM Re: July's One per week Theme is Froot and Flars
martin_cube Offline
Multiloquent

And look out for Dennis Moore too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbtVaTWs6II

#1055310 - Sat Jul 26 2014 06:53 PM Re: July's One per week Theme is Froot and Flars
flopsymopsy Offline

Administrator

Loc: Northampton England UK
Well, at least the Spanish Inquisition won't turn up.

Or will they?

#1055312 - Sat Jul 26 2014 07:09 PM Re: July's One per week Theme is Froot and Flars
martin_cube Offline
Multiloquent

Well, while I'm in a silly mood (which is nearly always), the name Petunia always reminds me of the TV advert from the 60s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6x236Q82_A

(Edited because I got the decade wrong! :))

Edited by martin_cube (Sat Jul 26 2014 07:22 PM)

#1055314 - Sat Jul 26 2014 08:35 PM Re: July's One per week Theme is Froot and Flars
CmdrK Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Nevada†USA
No one ever expects the Spanish Inquisition!

#1055323 - Sat Jul 26 2014 09:24 PM Re: July's One per week Theme is Froot and Flars
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
How about a Deadhead fest?

The ultimate activity is the Dream.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  flopsymopsy