Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#1051118 - Wed Jul 02 2014 05:12 AM Quizzes on celebrity abusers
dsimpy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Belfast Ireland
I was wondering if there's any FT policy or practice concerning existing quizzes on individuals who've subsequently been convicted of appalling sex abuse offences, including those against children?

Are they (should they be?) deleted from the site, or are they checked in order to edit out any particularly fulsome praiseworthy references? Or are they just left, for reasons of historical integrity, since the offences weren't known of when they were written?

I've just done a quick (partial) trawl of potential quizzes involved, and found only one about Rolf Harris - not surprisingly it's quite complimentary about him in places! The only quiz I found about 'Top of the Pops' didn't reference Jimmy Savile - (surprisingly. Edited already?). I also didn't find any quizzes on Gary Glitter.

However there are three quizzes about the Lostprophets band referencing lead singer Ian Watkins who was jailed for 35 years for appalling paedophile crimes.

#1051126 - Wed Jul 02 2014 06:59 AM Re: Quizzes on celebrity abusers [Re: dsimpy]
supersal1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Essex UK
Thanks for bringing this up. I was wondering the same thing. The Rolf Harris quiz is mine. I wrote it with a great deal of fondness at the time! I think you need a certain affection for the subject if you're doing a celebs quiz. It's fine by me if it's deleted, but a compromise could be to add at the end 'please note this quiz was written some years before Rolf Harris's conviction for indecent assault.

Pity my daughter's friend, who has a tattoo of Ian Watkins.

I've a quiz on Hattie Jacques as well - I do hope nobody digs the dirt on her.

#1051128 - Wed Jul 02 2014 07:44 AM Re: Quizzes on celebrity abusers [Re: supersal1]
skunkee Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Burlington Ontario Canada  
Celebrities has always tried to stay away from tabloid-like, sensational quizzes and questions exposing bad celebrity behaviours. However we have not made it a policy to go back and remove quizzes on persons who have later fallen from grace. Periodically someone will send a Correction Note and we deal with those on an individual basis.

Should you wish to go back and alter your own quiz, I don't expect that any editor would have an issue with that (and if it's in Celebrities I would be happy to help with this), providing the quiz didn't evolve into a sensationalised attack on the celeb in question. Toning down any admiration and mentioning the subsequent conviction would be accepted.
Some pretty disgusting qualities of Rolph Harris (as the latest example) have been revealed, but that does not change the fact that he did many wonderful things.

The exception I would be inclined to make is if someone who was praised for work with children then was convicted of molesting children. Then I would have no problem taking that quiz offline or at least removing any references of work with children.

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

#1052046 - Wed Jul 09 2014 09:10 AM Re: Quizzes on celebrity abusers [Re: dsimpy]
stedman Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: London England UK         
I must confess I'd be inclined to take a harder line, and remove these quizzes entirely. I would also (with respect) disagree strongly with Skunkee's line that:

"Some pretty disgusting qualities of Rolf Harris (as the latest example) have been revealed, but that does not change the fact that he did many wonderful things."

Many of the "wonderful things" that he (and Jimmy Savile) did were designed to gain them access to young people and children, who they then abused, taking ruthless advantage of their celebrity status. That's like saying Hitler wasn't all bad because he loved his dog! OK, slight exaggeration, but you see what I mean.

We take a strong line with quizzes about serial killers and the like, to protect the feelings of relatives of their victims who might inadvertently stumble across them. I think we should do the same here - given the extent of Harris's crimes, I'd have thought there would be a lot of people who will have been affected by them, directly or indirectly.

I would like to thank Supersal1 for offering to take her Rolf Harris quiz down - I think we should take her up on her offer.

#1052238 - Thu Jul 10 2014 12:02 PM Re: Quizzes on celebrity abusers [Re: stedman]
skunkee Offline
Forum Champion

I repeat, if anyone wants a quiz removed or altered I will be happy to help them do so. If complaints are received, I will deal with them on an individual basis.
What I hear you suggesting is that I make it a mission to be aware of any celebrity accused of sexual misconduct (and I don't read the scandal sheets) and then make sure that any quiz about them is deleted and I'm not in agreement that this is the correct approach.

In regards to quizzes about serial killers, I understand that you are moving forward with a greater sensitivity to the families of victims, but are you going back and removing existing quizzes?
Not to belittle the victims of sexual misconduct, because I would never want to do that, but I think it would be more devastating to read the name of a loved one as having been a victim of a killer. This is something that we would not accept either.

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

#1052288 - Thu Jul 10 2014 06:12 PM Re: Quizzes on celebrity abusers [Re: skunkee]
skunkee Offline
Forum Champion

I find myself unable to edit my previous post, although I wish to.
My apologies for anything I said that was insensitive.

#1052317 - Fri Jul 11 2014 04:05 AM Re: Quizzes on celebrity abusers [Re: dsimpy]
supersal1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Essex UK
Skunkee, I've PM'd you on the subject. I've had a quick look through the quiz, and there aren't really any references to him as specifically being a children's entertainer and it doesn't mention his daughter. The quiz is factual and anyone playing it for titillation or with a view to being offended will be disappointed.

#1059923 - Tue Aug 19 2014 01:08 AM Re: Quizzes on celebrity abusers [Re: stedman]
gracious1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New York USA
Originally Posted By: stedman
That's like saying Hitler wasn't all bad because he loved his dog! OK, slight exaggeration, but you see what I mean.

But there are lots of quizzes about Hitler on this site. And quizzes about other famous monsters in history. I'm not sure why sex offendors, including child molestors, would need to be removed when mass murderers can stay.

#1059926 - Tue Aug 19 2014 01:30 AM Re: Quizzes on celebrity abusers [Re: gracious1]
kyleisalive Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Toronto, Canada, eh!
Originally Posted By: gracious1
Originally Posted By: stedman
That's like saying Hitler wasn't all bad because he loved his dog! OK, slight exaggeration, but you see what I mean.

But there are lots of quizzes about Hitler on this site. And quizzes about other famous monsters in history. I'm not sure why sex offendors, including child molestors, would need to be removed when mass murderers can stay.

I'm not going to get too deep into detail on this one, but quizzes are approached on a case-by-case basis, and if a submission were to come in solely about Adolf Hitler's tally of murders or, worse, flagrantly promoted the Holocaust, it would be different from taking a historical perspective to events occurring seven decades ago, just as authors have done for quizzes on Genghis Khan, 9/11, and other similar topics.

As we've said before, quizzes about kidnapping and serial killers have been met with responses from the victims' families, and we've made a stance against posting them. Obviously we have to draw a line somewhere; for now, that's just where it's been chosen.

#1059947 - Tue Aug 19 2014 07:15 AM Re: Quizzes on celebrity abusers [Re: dsimpy]
gtho4 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Sydney oz downunder           
This thread is now closed.

Moderator:  agony, gtho4