Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Topic Options
#1053526 - Thu Jul 17 2014 06:16 AM Sub categories under more than one major category
MargW Offline
Participant

Loc: Ontario Canada
Is there a way in which sub-categories which appear under more than one category (specific example Name Game which is found both under the General Category and People) can score for a daily challenge? Today I'm required to score 150 points under the General category and its sub-categories. So I was playing Name Game (which I got to from the General category menu) quizzes only to find my points were not being counted.

So I checked, and sure enough, Name Game is listed as a sub-category of BOTH General and People. I'm sure there are other examples of this as well, but this is the most obvious

#1053528 - Thu Jul 17 2014 07:49 AM Re: Sub categories under more than one major category [Re: MargW]
eburge Online   sleepy
Enthusiast

Loc: Worthing Sussex UK            
Name Game is only in People. The link in General is a shortcut to the People category (indicated by an arrow icon rather than a folder icon). These shortcuts exist as a way of pointing you towards where quizzes of a particular topic are actually kept, if you might be looking in a place where you think they would be (if that makes any sense).

The Names subcat in General is more centred on the names themselves (like meanings, origins, etc.), while the Name Game in People tends to deal more with people with that name.

I'm sure another editor will jump in soon and give a more succinct and authoritative response.

#1053602 - Thu Jul 17 2014 04:32 PM Re: Sub categories under more than one major category [Re: MargW]
MargW Offline
Participant

Loc: Ontario Canada
Thanks for the answer - I was completely unaware that there was a difference. To my way of thinking a sub-category should be listed only under the appropriate heading, and there should be no link in another category. I'm sure I'm not the first person to play a group of quizzes only to find they don't count.

#1053638 - Thu Jul 17 2014 06:11 PM Re: Sub categories under more than one major category [Re: MargW]
kyleisalive Online   FT-cool
Forum Champion

Loc: Toronto, Canada, eh!
Quote:
Thanks for the answer - I was completely unaware that there was a difference. To my way of thinking a sub-category should be listed only under the appropriate heading, and there should be no link in another category. I'm sure I'm not the first person to play a group of quizzes only to find they don't count.

The links are there to encourage people to find more quizzes on a similar topic they're already looking into. Someone playing quizzes about Disney, for instance, can then be linked to Disney Movies, Disney video games, or Walt Disney himself, all from one spot depending on what they fancy in that moment.

The main page for any quiz should list the specific category (it's under the introduction on the opening page of a quiz). For instance, one in 'The Amazing Race' section would say

Quote:
Category: Fun Trivia: Quizzes: Television: Television A-C: Amazing Race, The

The third field will always be the specific category.

#1053650 - Thu Jul 17 2014 07:12 PM Re: Sub categories under more than one major category [Re: MargW]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
It helps if you keep in mind that the core of the site, and its genesis, are the quizzes. The games that have sprung from us having so many quizzes and questions to play with are secondary when it comes to how the place is arranged. In many ways this place is like Topsy - it just growed. When it was being set up, no one had any idea that it would grow into this.

So the system of links and folders and subcategories was in place probably a decade before games like the daily challenge were thought of.

I suppose it would be theoretically possible to sort it all out so there aren't odd corners and inconsistencies, but that would be an enormous amount of work during which no new quizzes would go online, and, speaking very frankly, none of the people who would have to do the work are very interested in doing it - we'd rather put new quizzes online and think up fun games and challenges.

#1053675 - Fri Jul 18 2014 01:04 AM Re: Sub categories under more than one major category [Re: MargW]
rossian Online   content
Prolific

Loc: Merseyside UK 
Quote:
I'm sure I'm not the first person to play a group of quizzes only to find they don't count.

I can certainly relate to that. It's easy to start in Literature and inadvertently find yourself in For Children, for example. The points still count, though, even if the quizzes don't.

#1054341 - Mon Jul 21 2014 03:21 AM Re: Sub categories under more than one major category [Re: rossian]
lonely-lady Offline
Prolific

Loc: England UK
Originally Posted By: rossian
Quote:
I'm sure I'm not the first person to play a group of quizzes only to find they don't count.

I can certainly relate to that. It's easy to start in Literature and inadvertently find yourself in For Children, for example. The points still count, though, even if the quizzes don't.

only if you are a Gold Member though

Moderator:  Terry