Rules
Terms of Use

Page 20 of 44 < 1 2 ... 18 19 20 21 22 ... 43 44 >
Topic Options
#1054947 - Thu Jul 24 2014 06:49 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
I have on my yet to watch list:

Citizen Kane

A Streetcar Named Desire

The Wild Bunch

On the Waterfront

Love Story

Breakfast at Tiffany's

The Wild One

Singing in the Rain

East of Eden

Black Beauty

All the Bruce Lee's except for: Enter the Dragon

The ultimate activity is the Dream.

#1054949 - Thu Jul 24 2014 06:52 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
I've seen most of these, and frankly would give "Breakfast at Tiffany's" a pass - it has not aged well. Hepburn of course is radiant, but you can watch her in something else twice, instead. The Mickey Rooney scenes are embarrassing, the ending is embarrassing, the whole thing just does not work anymore.

#1054950 - Thu Jul 24 2014 07:18 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: agony]
varnish Offline
Participant

Loc: Massachusetts USA
Originally Posted By: agony
I'll have to give "The Usual Suspects" another try - first time I just couldn't get into it and never finished it.
you definitely should...as long as no one gave away the plot!

#1054953 - Thu Jul 24 2014 08:30 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Part of its beauty is the way the plot changes as the film progresses toward the end. One is left wondering which, if any, of the plots is the real one. I watched a couple of times trying to keep one story in mind as the real one and... well, all I can add is that I think Hitchcock would have thought highly of this use of celluloid.

Edited by mehaul (Thu Jul 24 2014 08:38 PM)

#1055015 - Fri Jul 25 2014 08:57 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

I keep hearing it's great, and don't know any details, so yeah it seems like it should be perfect for me. Maybe today, I'll see if it's on my free downloads list from the library.

#1055040 - Fri Jul 25 2014 03:17 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

EDIT of post #1054947 above:

I also have yet to see if I appreciate "Gone with the Wind".

#1055275 - Sat Jul 26 2014 01:28 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: DireWolf74]
Chavs Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ireland
Originally Posted By: DireWolf74
Originally Posted By: Chavs
While slightly worried that I will be asked to leave this thread in shame, I have a confession to make:

I have never watched "The Godfather".

Until this week, that is. And now that I have: wow. Just wow. I am having to reshuffle my top ten favourite films of all time, one of them has to leave to make room for the new. I doubt there is anyone reading this thread that hasn't watched it but just in case: don't be a fool! Watch it, already, capiche?

And what about "The Godfather Part 2"?

If you say that you haven't seen that one either, then you should be sleeping with the fishes. smile

laugh

But you can't watch the second without seeing the first, surely that is a golden rule of movie watching?!!

I am very excited to announce I shall be watching the second one tonight. smile

Meanwhile, I find that everything I have done this week has been done with the Godfather in mind. I am turning into a female version of Michael. Be warned!

#1055279 - Sat Jul 26 2014 02:14 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
DireWolf74 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: The lost moon of Poosh
Meanwhile, I find that everything I have done this week has been done with the Godfather in mind. I am turning into a female version of Michael. Be warned!

As long as my name isn't Fredo, I should be ok. smile

Enjoy the movie tonight, I liked it even more the first one. Can't think of anyone better than De Niro to play young Vito Corleone.

Can I assume you'll be watching Part 3 tomorrow night or have you decided to skip that one?

#1055281 - Sat Jul 26 2014 02:46 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
Chavs Offline
Prolific

Thanks! But....Never tell anyone outside the family what you're thinking again! (III is for next week).

#1055283 - Sat Jul 26 2014 03:37 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

I found III a terrible disappointment. Not that it is a horrible movie or anything, but it is nothing special, and I think we go in expecting special.

#1055284 - Sat Jul 26 2014 03:39 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
DireWolf74 Offline
Forum Adept

Sorry. frown

#1055671 - Tue Jul 29 2014 01:42 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: DireWolf74]
Chavs Offline
Prolific

Originally Posted By: DireWolf74

As long as my name isn't Fredo, I should be ok. smile

Enjoy the movie tonight, I liked it even more the first one. Can't think of anyone better than De Niro to play young Vito Corleone.

Can I assume you'll be watching Part 3 tomorrow night or have you decided to skip that one?

Well, my friend, you were right about De Niro - the right man to take it on. I enjoyed the film, some bits more than others, but there were some brilliant scenes, and with both films they manage to get so much into them. I'd like to say more: things along the line of "I can't believe xyz...." and "mamma mia, I was so upsst when xyz...." But in case anyone reads this later I don't want to give those things away.

I loved the very start of the film, and the ending. The first film needed a sequel because we needed to know! But I really preferred the first, if I had to choose. It's like Heidi v Heidi Grows Up v Heidi's Children. You have to keep reading but the sequels never have the same impact on you. smile

I'll watch the third, because how can I not? But I won't expect too much from it. And what am I going to do after that?!! Sob.

Edited by Chavs (Tue Jul 29 2014 01:45 PM)

#1055687 - Tue Jul 29 2014 03:08 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

I agree, I love the first one best too - it's close to a perfect movie. Wonderful study of corruption.

Just watched "A Place in the Sun" (1951). Wow.

I've been watching a lot of Elizabeth Taylor lately, but with this one filmed when she was 19 I can finally see why she was called "The most beautiful woman in the world". She's flawless, and does a perfect job with the role. She's obviously never had to spend one second of her life worrying about the things that Shelley Winters' character worries about all the time, but she's not arrogant with it - she's just oblivious. Can't comprehend desperately wanting something that is out of reach. It's a difficult part to play without seeming an entitled spoiled brat, but she pulls it off.

Shelley Winters is wonderful in the part she played so often in her career - the woman the man doesn't really love, just uses. And she knows it. Really an under-appreciated actress - I've been impressed with everything I've seen her in.

Montgomery Clift - anyone who has ever been awkward and lonely and out of place and desirous of something different will fall hard for his performance here. I found his character totally sympathetic, which is pretty good when you consider he's a cheating SOB and a murderous one to boot.

#1055711 - Tue Jul 29 2014 06:35 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
varnish Offline
Participant

If you watch the third one not expecting much, that may make it a better movie for you. For me, it was like one of those part three sequels with no original cast, and an unknown director, made just for the money.(which Coppola was in fact quoted saying he only agreed to do the third because of financial problems). It certainly is not a bad film in its own right, just doesn't measure up to the first two. But when you think about it, that's a pretty tall order to begin with!

#1055719 - Tue Jul 29 2014 07:12 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
DireWolf74 Offline
Forum Adept

That's right, the third movie is not awful...just not up to the standard of the first two. Which is weird since Coppola has made some good movies since those early Godfather ones. I liked his take on "Bram Stoker's Dracula".

(Yes, even with Keanu "Whoa, Dude!" Reeves playing the part of Jonathan Harker)

Edited by DireWolf74 (Tue Jul 29 2014 07:14 PM)
Edit Reason: I need a reason to edit?

#1055852 - Wed Jul 30 2014 03:29 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
varnish Offline
Participant

You must be psychic direwolf!, I was either going to put "Dracula" or "the good, the bad, and the ugly" here next. (Dracula because of coppola, and G,B,U. because of eli wallach, he was excellent as tuccho), so that made my decision easy. I thought coppola's version is the best of the modern versions, and can stand up to the classics as well. He was definitely in top form when he made Dracula, which may show to some extent his heart wasn't into making the third godfather., and yeah, I agree with you about Keanu reeves, he was pretty good in it, maybe even a better casting choice than Winona Ryder as Mina. Gary oldman,(one of my favorite actors) was phenomenal.

Edited by varnish (Wed Jul 30 2014 03:31 PM)
Edit Reason: Because the "spellcheck" spells poorer than I do!!

#1055861 - Wed Jul 30 2014 04:22 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
DireWolf74 Offline
Forum Adept

If I were psychic, I'd be sitting on some beach in Belize watching the waves roll in and living off of my Powerball winnings. smile

I'm with you on Gary Oldman, he's been one of my favorite actors since I saw him in "Sid & Nancy". I'll watch almost anything he's in.

What I like most about Coppola's "Dracula" is the cinematography and the dreamlike transitions he uses to tie the scenes together.

#1055877 - Wed Jul 30 2014 05:44 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
Chavs Offline
Prolific

Another Oldman fan here. I'd forgotten about "Sid and Nancy" but that must be where I first saw him too. I remember loving that film.
I must watch it again though, maybe I wouldn't love it now.
John Lydon slated it at one stage, he hated everything about it it seems, but he still liked Gary Oldman!!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sid_and_Nancy#John_Lydon.27s_reaction

Edited by Chavs (Wed Jul 30 2014 05:47 PM)
Edit Reason: I just wanted to be part of the edit gang.

#1055882 - Wed Jul 30 2014 06:29 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
DireWolf74 Offline
Forum Adept

Seems like his main beef is that the director didn't talk to him before making the movie. Considering his reaction afterwards, I don't blame Alex Cox one bit. And who's to say that he would have got the truth from Johnny even if he did. Lydon is not really known for being a calm and reasonable person to talk to, in fact he's quite famous for letting the slightest thing get to him and blowing up over nothing during interviews. Lydon says the movie is not entirely accurate, but what bio-pic is? They can't fit every little exact detail into a two hour movie.

All this John Lydon talk has me itching to dig out my Public Image Limited cds, so I think I will. First up..."(This is Not a) Love Song".

#1055886 - Wed Jul 30 2014 07:49 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: DireWolf74]
varnish Offline
Participant

Yeah, Sid and nancy was a great movie, it's been a long time since I seen it, so ill have to probably get it on DVD, that's one of those real good movies that's on TV once every two years, on a monday night at 2:00 A.M. And I'm with you that I'd watch anything Gary oldman's in, he makes every movie he's in that much better, even "the fifth element"!(it seems like he had a lot of fun playing that character).

I like that edit chavs, maybe someday we could start a fun trivia team and name it the
"Gary Oldman edit gang"!

#1056819 - Mon Aug 04 2014 09:28 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
acilarincocugu Offline
Explorer

Loc: Cyprus
the shawshank redemption

#1056881 - Mon Aug 04 2014 07:37 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

Just watched "The Usual Suspects" and yeah, you were all right, it's great.

I knew it, though - I just KNEW. All the way through I kept thinking - it's him, I know it's him, don't know how but it's gotta be him.

And I find that the movie I watched part way through that I thought was this one wasn't. It was one where there was a home invasion and the bad guys were actually kinda funny... wonder what movie I'm thinking of.

#1056883 - Mon Aug 04 2014 07:49 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

"The Ref", that's what I'm thinking of, that I never finished.

#1056988 - Tue Aug 05 2014 01:53 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
varnish Offline
Participant

Now you you have another movie you have to finish! "The Ref" isn't on the same level as usual suspects, but still a very good movie, I think Denis learys best movies.(not that he has a lot of them, thought he was good in suicide kings as well).

#1058162 - Sun Aug 10 2014 04:04 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Snowman]
LBaggins Offline
Prolific

Loc: Georgia USA
I recently re-watched "Inception", as I was introducing a friend to it. We both loved it. The first time I saw it, I was fascinated but knew I'd have to see it again to get an adequate understanding of what was happening. The second viewing was a tremendous help! Having seen it several times now, I'm aware of several "Hey, wait a minute..." points that could use some besplaining, but it's certainly a novel story concept and I'm willing to suspend disbelief for the sake of the entertainment.

Page 20 of 44 < 1 2 ... 18 19 20 21 22 ... 43 44 >

Moderator:  ladymacb29, SilverMoonsong