Rules
Terms of Use

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1057579 - Fri Aug 08 2014 03:38 AM Expiring games
acilarincocugu Offline
Explorer

Loc: Cyprus
Hello, is it a common occurrence that the hourly who's the expert game expires before the given time and you retake it 4 times and it gives you the same screen, or is it some kind of bug?

#1057583 - Fri Aug 08 2014 03:59 AM Re: Expiring games [Re: acilarincocugu]
acilarincocugu Offline
Explorer

also as i gather from my unfortunate experience, the questions seem to be given new ones, so maybe everyone in the same division should be given the same questions so it's fairer rather than give someone an unfair advantage if a question is generated that is statistically easier to answer than other questions

#1057586 - Fri Aug 08 2014 04:34 AM Re: Expiring games [Re: acilarincocugu]
MiraJane Offline
Prolific

Loc: New York USA
I'm not sure what you are asking about.

Did you start an Expert game and before you finished all the questions, the game started again? And it happened more than once to you with the same topic?

Because if this is what happened, it is a glitch on your end. The only way someone can retake an Expert topic within the same hour is to use the Mulligan perk. That perk can only be used once per week and must be used to retake the same topic.

When the mulligan is used, different questions are given and are of the same difficulty level. Occasionally, you might get lucky and get one or two of the questions that are the same.

#1057588 - Fri Aug 08 2014 05:20 AM Re: Expiring games [Re: acilarincocugu]
acilarincocugu Offline
Explorer

well if someone hasnt noticed from all my bitchin on these threads is that im being picked on by some spiteful people. call it government oppression or something( also im not crazy and im not a tinfoil hat guy, im a 25 year old unemployed postgrad "student") because my timer keeps on going up, my thread keep on having glitches. even setting up a paypal account is a problem.

nevertheless,it was definitely a glitch then because i had to retake the astronomy topic on whos the expert 4 times before the game expired again and again and it said it expired and thats theres no record of the tournament. what i did notice however is that the questions i was given after the game reset were different, so that must mean that some of the questions that the whos the expert game has are different from the others, thus perhaps giving an unfair advantage to other players. of course thats the fun part of trivia learning things u didnt know, so if that doesnt happen then i must be the unluckiest person on funtrivia or something because this keeps on happening.

#1057595 - Fri Aug 08 2014 06:05 AM Re: Expiring games [Re: acilarincocugu]
MiraJane Offline
Prolific

What exactly do you mean by the game "expiring"?

If you play any of the timed games right before they end, say 2 minutes before they end, there is the possibility of you not finishing the questions before the game ends. But if you start a game ten minutes after it begins, you have fifty minutes to complete it. You can take that long to answer the questions.

Are you answering the questions, clicking submit, them getting a new set of questions? Or is your Internet connection timing out and not submitting your answers? And then you play the game again?

#1057598 - Fri Aug 08 2014 06:55 AM Re: Expiring games [Re: acilarincocugu]
acilarincocugu Offline
Explorer

no mirajane, it wasnt 2 minutes before the end because iv even done that and had my game nullified even though there was time to spare. it was the case of me playing expert game, 4 times in a row only to have the same screen come up and say that the tournament has expired and that there is no record of it or something among those lines. i restarted the game 4 times and most of the questions were different.

however i did manage to play the next whos the expert game. my internet connection has timed out, more like switched off in the past, but my timer would keep on running. but that wasnt the case this time. so now i gather that it is a case of having an unfortunate glitch. well im glad the movie character whos screen name i chose didnt live in the information age, because he'd be really frustrated when these kind of thing happen

#1057599 - Fri Aug 08 2014 06:59 AM Re: Expiring games [Re: acilarincocugu]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
Beyond the software or your personal performance, it sounds to me like you might have a mechanical type hardware failing. A mouse that double clicks on a single press because of sticky contacts in that switch can really interfere with the flow from quiz to answer page to game page. Sometimes that sort of thing will unknowingly enter you into a game but you don't know that the clock is ticking on that game. You go to a different game, play it, then go back to the first one and unknown to you that game has timed out. If you can, try switching your mouse or if you're on a touch screen, try running some pointer diagnostics. Don't give up, we haven't finished messing with you (he he he) smile

The ultimate activity is the Dream.

#1057612 - Fri Aug 08 2014 07:15 AM Re: Expiring games [Re: acilarincocugu]
kyleisalive Online   FT-cool
Forum Champion

Loc: Toronto, Canada, eh!
Speaking as someone who doesn't know the mechanics behind the scenes of the daily and hourly games, but who works here, I'm going to speak against Mehaul's last comment. We're not here to intentionally mess with you. Terry tries to make the games unbiased to keep things fair; questions are randomized for players in that specific game.

As for the issue, it sounds to me like your end of things, not FT's, since no one else has posted any issues here. That being said, I don't know if the admins have received further feedback elsewhere.

THAT being said, the only people who can address your bug issue completely is the admins; please take everything that the other players say in regards to this topic with a grain of salt; I'm not going to blame your computer hardware without any thorough knowledge. Mirajane, however, is correct that the likely case is the time turnaround between games.

My suggestion is to be as thorough as possible. Track the times you start each game session and the times you click submit. Perhaps that'll help the admins get a better gauge of the situation when they respond. Hopefully it's a quick fix. smile

No need to change your system settings for a single game.

#1057614 - Fri Aug 08 2014 07:25 AM Re: Expiring games [Re: acilarincocugu]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
Yes, hard information is what's needed, if the problem is on our end. Exactly what game at what time, a screenshot of the page that told you you had timed out, that kind of thing.

As for the difference in the question, yes, different players get different questions. The difficulty is determined by the percentage of players who get a question correct. One 65% correct question can substitute for another 65% correct question. It's the luck of the draw, of course, as to whether YOU happen to know one question as opposed to the other.

#1057618 - Fri Aug 08 2014 07:50 AM Re: Expiring games [Re: acilarincocugu]
acilarincocugu Offline
Explorer

well unless you're the cypriot or israeli secret service, who are actually messing with me, not just through trivia websites, then by all means mess with me.( hehehe) smirk

thing is i dont like being THAT guy that has to keep on complaining on an online forum, because im sure its not intentional on behalf of the staff. what im trying to determine is what kind of bugs exist. iv been so tired of getting the timer "bug" or "hardware" malfunction that i've even put the time to shown in seconds. also its unfortunate that the timer seems not to stop when you press submit even though it's been programmed to stop when you press enter or click on it. thats why i get 20-30 seconds in easy game when im paying attention to the timer and then randomly get 100 seconds when iv played at the same speed.

i use a macbook and dont even have a mouse.

#1057631 - Fri Aug 08 2014 08:28 AM Re: Expiring games [Re: acilarincocugu]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Ergo, the reference to a pointer diagnostic.
And I think you can see or infer that I'm not messing with you but trying to help. Is that wrong? Interuptions to your ISP can also simulate erroneous pointer inputs.

#1057634 - Fri Aug 08 2014 08:33 AM Re: Expiring games [Re: acilarincocugu]
kaddarsgirl Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ohio USA
Originally Posted By: acilarincocugu
thats why i get 20-30 seconds in easy game when im paying attention to the timer and then randomly get 100 seconds when iv played at the same speed.

Do you mean that you play through it once, see your score and time, and then click the "Play Now!" link again in the same hour?

#1057640 - Fri Aug 08 2014 09:05 AM Re: Expiring games [Re: kaddarsgirl]
acilarincocugu Offline
Explorer

Originally Posted By: kaddarsgirl
thats why i get 20-30 seconds in easy game when im paying attention to the timer and then randomly get 100 seconds when iv played at the same speed.

Do you mean that you play through it once, see your score and time, and then click the "Play Now!" link again in the same hour?

no it was giving me an expired game screen, but then i could see that more players were playing. it was the astronomy topic on whos the expert and it was in the 41-200 lvl category. i kept on replaying it 4 different times and most of the questions were different questions. i could however see that there were more players playing because the amount of scores was going up so it clearly wasnt a site glitch but something wrong with my funtrivia experience.

then i wrote this topic and then i could play the next whos the expert topic.

Also, on another note I took extra care of the timer today when I played mind melt today and looked at the exact time I pressed start game and the exact time I pressed enter but the timer was off, even by a few seconds which is refreshing compared to previous experiences.

#1057646 - Fri Aug 08 2014 09:22 AM Re: Expiring games [Re: mehaul]
acilarincocugu Offline
Explorer

Originally Posted By: mehaul
Ergo, the reference to a pointer diagnostic.
And I think you can see or infer that I'm not messing with you but trying to help. Is that wrong? Interuptions to your ISP can also simulate erroneous pointer inputs.

of course it's not wrong. i used to be into humouri don't have any delusions of being victimized or something, because they aren't delusions. and contrary to how i sound by posting all time on the feedback forum, i'm not a high strung prick who complains about everything in life. And there aren't interruptions to my ISP though on occasion there are interruptions to my wireless network but that has nothing to do with the timer or the question set, this is clearly a case of I don't even know what to call it, my funtrivia experience along with everything else.

#1057659 - Fri Aug 08 2014 10:43 AM Re: Expiring games [Re: acilarincocugu]
DireWolf74 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: The lost moon of Poosh
How is it even possible to play the same "Who's the Expert?" topic 4 times within the hour?

Shouldn't the "Not yet! You have already played in this hour's game. Try again when it resets!" message come up when someone attempts this?

That's what happened to me just now when I tried playing the "Mixed" game twice in a row.

#1057661 - Fri Aug 08 2014 11:08 AM Re: Expiring games [Re: DireWolf74]
acilarincocugu Offline
Explorer

Originally Posted By: DireWolf74
How is it even possible to play the same "Who's the Expert?" topic 4 times within the hour?

Shouldn't the "Not yet! You have already played in this hour's game. Try again when it resets!" message come up when someone attempts this?

That's what happened to me just now when I tried playing the "Mixed" game twice in a row.

it didnt register a score. it just gave me the expired game screen, and then i restarted 4 times with various different questions

#1057664 - Fri Aug 08 2014 11:35 AM Re: Expiring games [Re: acilarincocugu]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

How are you accomplishing the replays? Are you using a browser back key, a link button or some other method? Browser back takes you to a point in time that existed before and doesn't reflect what the current game time status is. Games also are assigned database record numbers (or some similar tracking device). If you're calling for a game that's run its course, you'll get the expiry screen.
In the hourly timed games you shouldn't be able to play the game more than once. When you do, you should get the screen DireWolf spoke of. If you play a game and hit the goback button to the original question page, you'll see the same game (with your selections depicted) and you can even change a selection. But when you hit the submit quiz button, that second go round will be ignored.
I do not envy your situation. Not many, as you note, have these types of problems and, I speculate, the number of Apple users are rare to help troubleshoot if it is a software glitch bugging your enjoyment of FT.

Edited by mehaul (Fri Aug 08 2014 11:50 AM)

#1057666 - Fri Aug 08 2014 11:53 AM Re: Expiring games [Re: acilarincocugu]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Colorado USA
During exactly which minutes of the day did you play, according to the FunTrivia clock?

Was it between 3:00am and 3:20am, FT time?

I imagine that what happened was this: during the regular scheduled maintenance period, you tried playing the expert game. So, when you submitted, it would not register because of this. The reason you could play multiple times was because it was during this maintenance period and it would never submit an actual score, as it doesn't register as anyone being able to do anything during this period.

With that being said, I imagine there is a browser issue, and you are seeing old cached pages. This is what allows you to still click on "play" during the time that it doesn't actually register as you playing. So, in affect, you're playing in a 'void' that shouldn't exist, somehow.

I also imagine that this is what happens in other games from time to time, because this maintenance takes place at a time you probably play often, living in Cyprus.

Mind you, this is just a theory of mine, so like Kyle said, since I'm only a player, take my note with a grain of salt. But my theory is that this is only a caching issue with your browser, allowing you to play a game multiple times during this period. It also explains the long times in the easy game; if you play at 3:18, take 30 seconds to play, and submit, it will show you submitted on your cached page but not register until 3:20, when maintenance is over, and consider your time to be 100 seconds or more.

Editor: Video Games, Entertainment

#1057674 - Fri Aug 08 2014 12:09 PM Re: Expiring games [Re: acilarincocugu]
acilarincocugu Offline
Explorer

i play all day because im usually in front of the computer screen. i know when the maintanenance times are, when the games reset and even what time i have to play if i want to play in the triathlon.

i wasnt accomplishing the reset times many times, only during that one time where it happened four times. it simply didnt score the game and i replayed it 4 times and it said it expired. this was during the same time i started this thread.

#1057675 - Fri Aug 08 2014 12:13 PM Re: Expiring games [Re: acilarincocugu]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Colorado USA
The first post of this thread was only a few minutes after maintenance.

Editor: Video Games, Entertainment

#1057680 - Fri Aug 08 2014 12:35 PM Re: Expiring games [Re: acilarincocugu]
kyleisalive Online   FT-cool
Forum Champion

Loc: Toronto, Canada, eh!
Quote:
I do not envy your situation. Not many, as you note, have these types of problems and, I speculate, the number of Apple users are rare to help troubleshoot if it is a software glitch bugging your enjoyment of FT.

Neither my MacBook not my iPhone have had problems with the games on the site.

#1057681 - Fri Aug 08 2014 12:37 PM Re: Expiring games [Re: kyleisalive]
kaddarsgirl Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ohio USA
Originally Posted By: kyleisalive
Quote:

Neither my MacBook not my iPhone have had problems with the games on the site.

I haven't had any problems as an Apple user either. My Macbook Pro, iPhone, and iPad all work fine.

#1057686 - Fri Aug 08 2014 01:15 PM Re: Expiring games [Re: acilarincocugu]
MiraJane Offline
Prolific

And there aren't interruptions to my ISP though on occasion there are interruptions to my wireless network but that has nothing to do with the timer or the question set, this is clearly a case of I don't even know what to call it, my funtrivia experience along with everything else.

Aha! A clue! The clue being "... interruptions to my wireless network ..."
My wifi cuts out on me all the time. I mean, several times a hour and every single hour of the day. Of course my ISP says it's my fault.

There have been times I have played timed games, click to hit submit and ... Nothing. The screen will sit there for a few seconds, for a few minutes, once for four hours. And one time, it happened during an Expert game. No, it wasn't the fault of the game, I was playing every Expert topic at the time. The answers wouldn't submit so I wandered away, came back half an hour later, hit submit, got a new question set. Played that, got "game has ended" screen. But then I saw the first one had somehow gone through with a lovely time of 38 minutes.

The only times I see the words "expired" on this site is when the timed game has ended before I have submitted my questions or my connection has timed out.

As Kyle mentioned, only an admin can really help you if the problem is from the site's side. And I'm not one of those helpful admins.

#1057687 - Fri Aug 08 2014 01:37 PM Re: Expiring games [Re: acilarincocugu]
lonely-lady Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: England UK
Just a player here, but something similar happened to me a little while back and when I sorted it out IE got a terrible, but published score - I went to put the kettle on and discovered that the clock on the microwave had reset. Sometimes, during the daytime, that is the only sign that we have had a "blip" in the electricity supply. I live in a rural location and at the extent of broadband. Full blown power outages are not common, but tiny blips are.

#1057690 - Fri Aug 08 2014 01:42 PM Re: Expiring games [Re: MiraJane]
acilarincocugu Offline
Explorer

Originally Posted By: MiraJane

And there aren't interruptions to my ISP though on occasion there are interruptions to my wireless network but that has nothing to do with the timer or the question set, this is clearly a case of I don't even know what to call it, my funtrivia experience along with everything else.

Aha! A clue! The clue being "... interruptions to my wireless network ..."
My wifi cuts out on me all the time. I mean, several times a hour and every single hour of the day. Of course my ISP says it's my fault.

There have been times I have played timed games, click to hit submit and ... Nothing. The screen will sit there for a few seconds, for a few minutes, once for four hours. And one time, it happened during an Expert game. No, it wasn't the fault of the game, I was playing every Expert topic at the time. The answers wouldn't submit so I wandered away, came back half an hour later, hit submit, got a new question set. Played that, got "game has ended" screen. But then I saw the first one had somehow gone through with a lovely time of 38 minutes.

The only times I see the words "expired" on this site is when the timed game has ended before I have submitted my questions or my connection has timed out.

As Kyle mentioned, only an admin can really help you if the problem is from the site's side. And I'm not one of those helpful admins.

this was not a wireless network issue. and maybe the site admins can help me so i can take off my tin foil hat, but they cant. so i dont even know why i bother to even ask questions like this anymore. everything is fruitless

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Terry