pyonir Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Minnesota USA
Apparently of suicide. frown

#1058380 - Mon Aug 11 2014 05:37 PM Re: Robin Williams Died [Re: ladymacb29]
Tizzabelle Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia         
I always pictured his brain as little cogs whirring at a million miles an hour, much faster than anyone else's. He could be so genuinely funny about almost anything. What a sad loss. frown Thanks for all the laughs, Robin.

#1058381 - Mon Aug 11 2014 05:58 PM Re: Robin Williams Died [Re: ladymacb29]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
The Bicentennial Man has had his wish granted to discover What Dreams May Come.

The ultimate activity is the Dream.

#1058392 - Mon Aug 11 2014 06:37 PM Re: Robin Williams Died [Re: ladymacb29]
ozzz2002 Online   FT-cool

Terrible, terrible news. A very talented man, and one of my favourite actors and funnymen.

Editor, Hobbies and Sports, and Forum Moderator

#1058395 - Mon Aug 11 2014 06:54 PM Re: Robin Williams Died [Re: ladymacb29]
dg_dave Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: near Stafford, Virginia USA  
Such a funny man. RIP O Captain My Captain. (from Dead Poets Society)

#1058399 - Mon Aug 11 2014 07:06 PM Re: Robin Williams Died [Re: ladymacb29]
stuthehistoryguy Offline
Prolific

Loc: Omaha Nebraska USA      
Rest in peace, Robin.

#1058420 - Tue Aug 12 2014 12:18 AM Re: Robin Williams Died [Re: ladymacb29]
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
Very sad. His brain certainly worked in amazing ways.
frown

#1058444 - Tue Aug 12 2014 05:08 AM Re: Robin Williams Died [Re: ladymacb29]
Santana2002 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: France
I missed this post when I checked in earlier,so my other thread can be deleted, sorry.

As I said, am sad to read of his death, he was my favourite actor/comedian.

#1058869 - Wed Aug 13 2014 05:21 PM Robin Williams
Jakeroo Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Alberta Canada
Odd, that no one has posted about this wonderful man. He may not have been happy in his own little world, but he sure made a lot of other people smile/laugh in 40+ years. Sigh. Hope he's found peace.

#1058870 - Wed Aug 13 2014 05:27 PM Re: Robin Williams [Re: Jakeroo]
ozzz2002 Online   FT-cool

There is a thread under Movies and Television.

Editor, Hobbies and Sports, and Forum Moderator

#1059046 - Thu Aug 14 2014 06:37 PM Re: Robin Williams [Re: ladymacb29]
Jakeroo Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Alberta Canada
oops sorry, didn't expect to find it there/here, but glad people posted . I need a kleenex every time I see his pic anywhere on the web/tv

Edited by Jakeroo (Thu Aug 14 2014 06:39 PM)

#1059418 - Sat Aug 16 2014 03:25 PM Re: Robin Williams [Re: ladymacb29]
nmerr Offline
Participant

Loc: Salt Lake City Utah USA      
I read that Robin Williams was in the early stages of Parkinson's Disease. Michael J Fox has been afflicted with that disease for years yet he chose to live in spite of it and be with his family. While I don't want to dismiss Robin's contributions to film and comedy, he did choose to end his life, leaving his wife a widow and his children without a father. I know I will catch flack for saying this but I'm putting it all in perspective. The use of drugs was his decision. Also, the death of actress Lauren Bacall a day or two later will always be overshadowed and take a back seat to Robin Williams. The same thing happened when Michael Jackson and Farrah Fawcett died on the same day. Who got top billing then?

#1059458 - Sat Aug 16 2014 09:49 PM Re: Robin Williams [Re: nmerr]
MiraJane Offline
Prolific

Loc: New York USA
Originally Posted By: nmerr
I read that Robin Williams was in the early stages of Parkinson's Disease. Michael J Fox has been afflicted with that disease for years yet he chose to live in spite of it and be with his family. While I don't want to dismiss Robin's contributions to film and comedy, he did choose to end his life, leaving his wife a widow and his children without a father. I know I will catch flack for saying this but I'm putting it all in perspective. The use of drugs was his decision.

It is not uncommon for people with depression to self medicate with alcohol and other drugs. They may be undiagnosed, face familial prejudice against having an emotional disturbance, along with societal and, sometimes, religious stigmas. They may also not have access to medical care for medication that can help them.

Even with medication, it can take years to find a correct mix and dosage. Unfortunately, even after a correct mix and dosage is found, the medications can lose effectiveness over the years. So people may "choose" to use alcohol or other drugs to cope.

Robin Williams had open heart surgery a few years ago. Cardiac surgery often causes severe depression. Parkinson's disease is a neurological condition that also cause emotional turmoil. Some website have been reporting that it too can cause depression.

Robin Williams, and others that attempt or succeed suicide, was in crippling emotional pain so severe it is physical. It is hole so deep no ladder can reach the bottom, no voices of love and hope can be heard and where a shining light of rescue is inconceivable.

#1059459 - Sat Aug 16 2014 10:16 PM Re: Robin Williams [Re: ladymacb29]
sally0malley Offline
Forum Adept

I've just read three very moving statements from his children and the beautiful things they said about their father brought tears to my eyes. However troubled he was in life, whether physical or emotional, he certainly loved and was loved by three amazing kids!

#1059460 - Sat Aug 16 2014 10:34 PM Re: Robin Williams [Re: ladymacb29]
Marshame Offline
Participant

Loc: Texas USA
Remember when Christopher Reeve was thrown from his horse and broke his neck, resulting (after days in a coma) in his being totally paralyzed? Among the stories I read about it, one was about his family's concern for how they would pay for all the medical expenses, as he and his wife weren't that wealthy, etc. Then Robin Williams came to visit him, and told Reeves that he, Robin Williams, would pay for all his medical expenses.

Now that is an act of generosity beyond description! Reeves lived another ten years, and I am sure that Robin Williams made good on his pledge. Acts of extreme generosity like this might be the explanation for rumored financial problems. But in any case, that is the thing I will remember about Robin Williams.

#1059466 - Sun Aug 17 2014 12:22 AM Re: Robin Williams [Re: ladymacb29]
MiraJane Offline
Prolific

Robin Williams himself said he was having financial issues due to two divorces. It was given as a reason why he had returned to TV in a regular series.

Robin visited Christopher Reeves about a week after he (Reeves) woke from the coma. He dressed in scrubs and a face mask & spoke with a heavy Russian accent, impersonating a doctor. When he took off the face mask, Christopher Reeves laughed, the first time since his accident. ( Christopher Reeves told the story.)

Moderator:  ladymacb29, SilverMoonsong