Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#105897 - Fri Apr 07 2000 10:51 PM Vintage trivia
msgene Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Tinley Park, Illinois USA
I would love to see a category for vintage trivia (movies, television, etc.) I am a nostalgia junkie and would be willing to help you with this category in any way. Would anyone else like a category like this?

#105898 - Sat Apr 08 2000 08:53 AM Re: Vintage trivia
floridian38 Offline
Participant

Loc: Tinley Park,Il.USA
YES... i would love to see a catagory where i would stand a chance of knowing some answers. i hope that your suggestion works out.

------------------

floridian38

#105899 - Sat Apr 08 2000 11:07 PM Re: Vintage trivia
Terry Offline

Head Honcho

Loc: USA
How about a "Nostalgia" cagegory?

#105900 - Sat Apr 08 2000 12:41 PM Re: Vintage trivia
crisw Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: California USA
You just might have to define "nostalgia", so the kids don't think it means "from the 70's

------------------
Cris Waller
CrisW@ix.netcom.com

[This message has been edited by crisw (edited 04-09-2000).]

#105901 - Tue Apr 11 2000 04:49 AM Re: Vintage trivia
Gunslinger Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Somerville New Jersey USA     
All relative, ain't it? One person's 'nostalgia' could be another person's 'just yesterday.' Or as ancient as the pharoahs to another. Might have to label as '50's nostalgia,' '30's nostalgia' or something definitive of an era; "The Old West", "The Gay Nineties (gotta watch that word now)", "The Roaring Twenties", "World War II" or like that.

Interesting. We have quite quite a cross-section of the ages (well, some of them). Could work well. There's a million ideas out there.

------------------
Gunslinger
'Slipping the surly bonds of earth, to dance the skies on laughter-silvered wings'

#105902 - Tue Apr 11 2000 11:24 PM Re: Vintage trivia
msgene Offline
Forum Adept

Good point. By nostalgia I mean 40s & 50s (because Im crazy about old films), but to my kids, the 70s were nostalgic times. I suppose it would be tough to define the category. Im just so happy to have found this site and love it when there are questions about the older films & TV shows.

#105903 - Wed Apr 12 2000 12:21 AM Re: Vintage trivia
Gunslinger Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Somerville New Jersey USA     
Nostalgia, by definition, is "a wistful or excessively sentimental yearning for return to, or of, some past period or irrecoverable condition."

Ptooie on the dictionary - excessively, indeed! Nothing wrong with nostalgia.

It's one of those things that is whatever you think it is. Whatever you feel nostalgic about is what it is to you. It can be a star-crossed love affair of last year, or years ago, or the events of a time before you even lived that impress themselves on you. If you like reading about the days of Camelot (the original, not the Kennedy Administration - or that, too, if you like), then that's nostalgia to you.

Why not? Should we try it out?

------------------
Gunslinger
'Slipping the surly bonds of earth, to dance the skies on laughter-silvered wings'

#105904 - Wed Apr 19 2000 08:42 AM Re: Vintage trivia
msgene Offline
Forum Adept

Yes, try it out! I will be glad to edit, although I am only a Junior Member.

#105905 - Thu Apr 20 2000 02:36 AM Re: Vintage trivia
gtho4 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Sydney oz downunder           
.. and I support her nominationas an editor
(can we do that?)

Moderator:  agony, gtho4