Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#105924 - Wed Apr 12 2000 09:01 AM Okay, here's an interesting one for you...
xterminal Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Parma Ohio USA           
Trying to create a quiz, and I got a fun, new, interesting error message. "Please make sure your question ends with a question mark." Which is all well and good, except for two things:

1. Only one of the "questions" (actually, taglines from movie posters) actually ends in a question mark, and none of the others come up with this error.

2. When I change the last punctuation mark in that question to a question mark and hit save changes... well, you know what happens. (If you don't: the error doesn't go away.)

Is there some kind of odd control character that might be causing this? Is the Quizzyland Witch haunting my quiz? Heeeeeeelp!

R

------------------
http://www.geocities.com/xterminalx

#105925 - Thu Apr 13 2000 05:41 AM Re: Okay, here's an interesting one for you...
Gunslinger Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Somerville New Jersey USA     
x-term, check with my daughter (SilverMoonsong) about witches and hauntings and stuff like that. She may know about the Quizzyland Witch (she may BE the Quizzyland Witch for all I know.)

That's not it, however. I have to say 'apparently', 'cause I didn't code the thing, but 'apparently' the quiz-creator controller/editor robot was ordered to monitor for interrogatory words (who, what, when, where, why, how) and respond to those which are not completed with a ? with a stock response. It's also somewhat ignorant of many punctuation marks, since our robot has a minor stroke if you try to introduce /, &, %, @, or other ordinary stuff into questions.

Actually, it's good that it calls your attention to lack of question marks; it also points out when you fail to capitalize the beginning of a sentence. (It's only a young robot, born last fall. It'll get better as it matures.)

Your number 2 is odd. If you go back and place the question mark, it should cure the hiccup. Don't know why it doesn't. I think, though, that you can ignore the admonition and move ahead. Try it; let me know how you make out.

------------------
Gunslinger
'Slipping the surly bonds of earth, to dance the skies on laughter-silvered wings'

#105926 - Thu Apr 13 2000 09:23 AM Re: Okay, here's an interesting one for you...
xterminal Offline
Mainstay

Thanks, I'll give it a shot...

R

------------------

#105927 - Thu Apr 13 2000 09:58 AM Re: Okay, here's an interesting one for you...
Terry Offline

Head Honcho

Loc: USA
If the first word of a question is a question word (who, what, etc), then the last character of the line MUST be a question mark. Make sure you don't have a space AFTER the question mark (although it should take care of that).

If all else fails, try to reword that one question so that the first word isnt a question word

Terry

#105928 - Thu Apr 13 2000 02:57 PM Re: Okay, here's an interesting one for you...
xterminal Offline
Mainstay

It worked... muhahahahaha... the ellipsis isn't a part of the actual movie tagline, but it got me past the censors.

R

------------------

#105929 - Fri Apr 14 2000 07:50 AM Re: Okay, here's an interesting one for you...
gtho4 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Sydney oz downunder           
hey JJ, there's that laugh again!

#105930 - Mon Apr 17 2000 10:04 AM Re: Okay, here's an interesting one for you...
xterminal Offline
Mainstay

I got it from one of you downunder lot, a number of years ago... you've only yourself to blame for it!

R

------------------

#105931 - Wed Apr 19 2000 08:49 PM Re: Okay, here's an interesting one for you...
SilverMoonsong Offline

Loc: Morrisville North Carolina USA
*reads dad's post*

*roflmao!!!!*

Yes!! I AM the Quizzyland Witch! *cackles maniacally*

------------------
Silver Moonsong
Man did not weave the web of life, he is merely a strand in it, whatever he does to the web, he does to himself.
---Chief Seattle

#105932 - Thu Apr 20 2000 01:53 AM Re: Okay, here's an interesting one for you...
Gunslinger Offline
Multiloquent

Told y'all she's over the edge. Doughnuts aren't fully glazed.

#105933 - Thu Apr 20 2000 01:57 AM Re: Okay, here's an interesting one for you...
Gunslinger Offline
Multiloquent

I did forget to mention, x-term, (thank you, Terry) to make sure that the end character on your question isn't a space. If you can cursor out any spaces beyond the question mark, the controller will read the space and not the '?'. Just back-space up to the ? so that it is the final character in the question.

------------------
Gunslinger
'Slipping the surly bonds of earth, to dance the skies on laughter-silvered wings'

Moderator:  agony, gtho4