Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#810820 - Wed Jul 25 2012 10:42 PM Why has the serial killers section been closed?
Detharriman Offline
Learning the ropes...

I submitted a single quiz question and was rejected because the section on serial killers in the "people" category has been closed. I am wondering-why is it closed?

#810829 - Wed Jul 25 2012 11:32 PM Re: Why has the serial killers section been closed? [Re: Detharriman]
underscored Offline
Explorer

Loc: Bendigo Victoria Australia   
My personal opinion would be that I would rather have a question or a quiz that recognizes a person who has in some way contributed to the world in a positive way -even though they may have been through more hardship in their life, they have chosen to respond in a manner which enhances not only their own existence but that of others - instead of exhibiting an attitude that the world must owe them, they have chosen to overcome extreme pain through positive action.
They truly empower themselves without harming others.
Negating any need to show any statement of affirmation to someone who has chosen to construct a life that involves injuring and/or depriving others of the right to choose an existence of non-harm. Serial killers deserve nothing more than morbid fascination for the brainless existence of their wasted lives.
Those that choose to kill over and over may seem to come from a position of power but in burning their bridges to humanity they are weak and alone.
As are the people who have chosen to ignore their conditioning. Serial killers are unimportant - their contribution is negative and uninteresting they show such extremes of weak will that knowledge of them advances no positive knowledge. Strength does not express itself in having the ability and/or the means to kill some one or others strength is having this ability and choosing not to use these opportunities.
Shallow and in-sightless people who choose to kill other people are boring.
The people we choose to study or emulate are people who have mastered themselves - contributors e.g. Shakespeare, Chopin, Salk, Pasteur, Mandela, Gandhi all of these had the capacity to see the foibles of humanity and to sometimes experience the worst treatment but they chose to build, to enhance, to employ, to engage in goodness non-harm and emancipation of the true spirit of the advancement of the human race insofar as each was able.

#810830 - Wed Jul 25 2012 11:37 PM Re: Why has the serial killers section been closed? [Re: underscored]
kyleisalive Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Toronto, Canada, eh!
If I recall they were closed out of courtesy for the victims and their families.

#810835 - Thu Jul 26 2012 12:48 AM Re: Why has the serial killers section been closed? [Re: kyleisalive]
gtho4 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Sydney oz downunder           
Complaints/discussions about serial killers started 11 years ago e.g. this post by the webmaster back in Jan 2001). On one occasion a survivor of a serial killer's attack wrote direct to Terry (off the boards); and on another it was the brother or sister of a victim. Both quizzes/questions were removed from the database. The sub-category was finally closed three years ago, in July or August 2009.

#810848 - Thu Jul 26 2012 02:17 AM Re: Why has the serial killers section been closed? [Re: gtho4]
sisterseagull Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Torquay Devon England UK      
It seems strange that 'serial' killer questions are no longer accepted and yet there are many, many questions here regarding Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot, Sadaam Hussein et al.

Many of their victims are still alive or have family members that are still alive. Indeed, I don't doubt that there are members here from the middle east that may well consider George W Bush and Tony Blair as mass murderers or at least responsible for many deaths... Where is the distinction drawn?

#810849 - Thu Jul 26 2012 02:35 AM Re: Why has the serial killers section been closed? [Re: gtho4]
Detharriman Offline
Learning the ropes...

thanks

#1061082 - Sun Aug 24 2014 01:34 AM Closed categories
Bheth Offline
Learning the ropes...

Loc: California USA
Hiya folks!

I am working on Adventures in Authoring, and I have to write a quiz with "Up" or "Down" in the title. I decided to write a quiz about Australian serial killers called "Killers DOWN Under" (Ok, I have been bingeing on "Criminal Minds" on Netflix, I admit it!) In one area, FT Guidelines says the category, and all sub-categories, is closed to new admissions. But FT accepted my entry, in the serial killer category, and when I brought up the special instructions at the top of the quiz creation form, it said there are no special instructions for the serial killer category.

Can I write this quiz or not? Not all of the people I wanted to write about are serial killers, strictly speaking. Some are spree killers. (Stop looking at me like that, I told you, "Criminal Minds" on Netflix!)

Is FT so very family-oriented that the entire category of serial killers is off-limits? I noticed that most of the quizzes in the Serial Killers category are pretty popular, some with thousands of plays. So what's up? Do I need to come up with another idea?

#1061097 - Sun Aug 24 2014 07:10 AM Re: Closed categories [Re: Bheth]
kaddarsgirl Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ohio USA
See post #1059926 from kyleisalive in this thread re: quizzes about serial killers: http://www.funtrivia.com/forums/ubbthrea...ers#Post1051118

There's a thread somewhere else, too, but I don't have the time to look for it.

Edited by kaddarsgirl (Sun Aug 24 2014 07:11 AM)

#1061104 - Sun Aug 24 2014 07:50 AM Re: Closed categories [Re: Bheth]
kyleisalive Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Toronto, Canada, eh!
Correcto.

It's not so much that we're so family-oriented as we've outright had requests from family members of victims asking us to remove the content. The decision was made by Terry; the editorial staff is in support of it.

I totally understand the validity behind the fact that it is trivia and there are interesting facts out there about serial killers (heck, we accept fictionalized accounts like 'Silence of the Lambs' and episodes of 'Criminal Minds'), but considering the track record we've had for such quizzes and the requests that have been sent our way, we decided a long time ago that this was one subject we no longer wanted to pursue.

PS-- I'm glad that Adventures in Authoring is stretching your mind with quiz ideas. Something as vague as the word 'down' can spur on so many possibilities!

Edited by kyleisalive (Sun Aug 24 2014 07:52 AM)

#1061158 - Sun Aug 24 2014 06:43 PM Re: Closed categories [Re: Detharriman]
gtho4 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Sydney oz downunder           
linking this to the previous thread

Moderator:  agony, gtho4