Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 10 of 19 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 18 19 >
Topic Options
#106369 - Wed Jan 28 2009 01:20 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: funnytrivianna]
guitargoddess Offline

Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada         
If you don't make a significant change, the date that you see doesn't change. Same as when you are editing a quiz that you have not yet submitted. The 'quiz history' at the top of every quiz only updates if you change the title or the category, it doesn't create a new entry every time you write a new question or add interesting info or whatever. So if, for an example an editor starts editing your quiz and fixes a typo or two and re-saves, you wouldn't see in the quiz history that that happened. It could be that you submitted your quiz on the 8th, an editor started looking at it on the 26th, only got halfway through and is coming back to it at another time. (Though I'm not saying that is what happened, because I believe if an editor starts editing a quiz and has to leave it for a day or two, they mark it with their name, or do let the other editors know in some way that they started on it).

#106370 - Wed Jan 28 2009 01:27 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: funnytrivianna]
darthrevan89 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Texas USA
Quote:

If things are that sensitive, that the quiz can be sent back to the end of the queue if you "It's worth noting that the save button can sometimes be clicked accidentally, by hitting the ENTER key at the wrong point." do this, then shouldn't that be fixed? I really don't think this is what has happened, in this case, but wonder who it has happened to. If this is happening, it needs to be fixed, I would think.

I think CellarDoor was just mentioning the fact that, on virtually any site, "Enter" will activate the 'big gray button' (I'm not sure what else to call it). Like on Google: you type something in the search box and hit "Enter" to activate the search button. If you were in the habit of using Backspace to return to the previous page, you might press "Enter" by mistake and your page gets saved. It's not really a problem with the page.

#106371 - Wed Jan 28 2009 02:12 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: darthrevan89]
funnytrivianna Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Ontario Canada
Thank you guitargoddess! Your reply has made a lot of sense. I had not thought about that possibility either.

I do know that quiz authors are anxious to see their creations appear on line, and many wonder why there are delays that seem endless from the author's perspective. Two weeks is not a long time waiting at all. I had wondered about the time stamping and your response makes sense. I am happy that I was given some form of a straightforward response.

Thanks!

Darthrevan89, that reply makes sense as well, but I did not press enter at any time either, but I imagine many do without realizing it.

Thanks for your nice reply too!

#106372 - Wed Jan 28 2009 03:22 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: darthrevan89]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
It is possible that the quiz was moved to the correct category by an editor who did not have time to edit further just then. This would have reset the quiz.

Note - I don't know that this happened, just that it could be one explanation. The first thing that I do when looking at a quiz is to categorize it properly. If I then see that there are other problems that maybe need more time, the category change would be enough to send the quiz to the back of the queue. In my own categories, I try to be aware of this, and get back to that particular quiz quickly. However, we are only human beings, and mistakes happen.

#106373 - Wed Jan 28 2009 04:26 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: guitargoddess]
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
Quote:

If you don't make a significant change, the date that you see doesn't change. Same as when you are editing a quiz that you have not yet submitted. The 'quiz history' at the top of every quiz only updates if you change the title or the category, it doesn't create a new entry every time you write a new question or add interesting info or whatever. So if, for an example an editor starts editing your quiz and fixes a typo or two and re-saves, you wouldn't see in the quiz history that that happened. It could be that you submitted your quiz on the 8th, an editor started looking at it on the 26th, only got halfway through and is coming back to it at another time. (Though I'm not saying that is what happened, because I believe if an editor starts editing a quiz and has to leave it for a day or two, they mark it with their name, or do let the other editors know in some way that they started on it).

It doesn't matter if the change is significant or not... or even if you make a change. As long as you hit the 'save' button on the quiz edit screen, you get a new 'submitted' date.

This is because the computer doesn't know how to distinguish between a quiz that is newly submitted to the queue or one that is being saved.

If an editor does go into your quiz and does some edits, they will not wait for it to come back to the top of the queue to edit as that wouldn't be fair.

Editor for Television Category

#106374 - Wed Jan 28 2009 04:33 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: ladymacb29]
funnytrivianna Offline
Forum Adept

Quote:

If an editor does go into your quiz and does some edits, they will not wait for it to come back to the top of the queue to edit as that wouldn't be fair.

If this is the case, shouldn't that show up in the author's page, so the author knows that an editor has done something to their quiz? Shouldn't it show which changes the editor may have done, so the author is aware of what is going on? If an editor makes changes, are they not doing the editing? Shouldn't they be completing the editing, once they start it?

#106375 - Wed Jan 28 2009 04:38 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: funnytrivianna]
Leau Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Nijmegen/Brisbane
Quote:

Shouldn't they be completing the editing, once they start it?

It's not a question of what the editors should or should not do. Fact is, editors have lives. Kids might need attention, the phone might ring and this might happen right in the middle of editing a quiz. Better to save whatever editing has been done up to that point than to back out of the quiz for the sake of the time stamp.

Quote:

Shouldn't it show which changes the editor may have done, so the author is aware of what is going on?

What does it matter if you know the editor fixed a certain typo? If your quiz's category or its title has been changed, you can see it in the quiz log. All other things are either too insignificant to mention, or they'll be specified in the rejection/acceptance note once the editing is complete.

Quote:

It doesn't matter if the change is significant or not... or even if you make a change. As long as you hit the 'save' button on the quiz edit screen, you get a new 'submitted' date.

I think GG meant to say that only those big changes show up in the quiz log so that the quiz author can see what date the quiz was submitted, when the title was changed, etc. It won't show up in the log if a quiz is re-saved.

Edited by Leau (Wed Jan 28 2009 04:41 PM)

#106376 - Wed Jan 28 2009 05:28 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: Leau]
funnytrivianna Offline
Forum Adept

Of course I know these hard working editors have private lives and they also want to play trivia, not just edit. Gosh, of course I know this. There is no way that I have ever thought otherwise!

Okay, I think I am getting the understanding of this now. That once the editor begins the editing process, even if they are called to the phone, have an emergency, become ill, whatever, that quiz remains at the front of the queue line, until such time the editor can finish the editing, with the quiz either going on line, or receiving a correction notice.

I was misunderstanding it to mean, that if an editor changed anything, not able to finish editing that day, that would send the quiz to the back of the queue line as though it had just been submitted. My misunderstanding, for sure, but reading over this again, it makes sense, obviously for me and for others who wonder the same things.

So, back to the original question: if my quiz, has a time stamp of January 26, as stated earlier in this discussion, and I am not responsible for this time stamping change, because I did not change, correct or click anything, then this would mean that the editor most likely has been editing the quiz, but is not yet finished with the editing, for whatever personal or private reason? This would be why nothing is in my log about it?

I do want to say, it is great to be able to have these discussions in order to be able to understand how these things work. I appreciate this a lot.

#106377 - Wed Jan 28 2009 07:09 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: Leau]
guitargoddess Offline

Quote:

Quote:

I think GG meant to say that only those big changes show up in the quiz log so that the quiz author can see what date the quiz was submitted, when the title was changed, etc. It won't show up in the log if a quiz is re-saved.

Right
It was in response to the 'shouldn't I be able to see if an editor did something' part of the original question.

#106378 - Wed Jan 28 2009 08:54 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: guitargoddess]
bloomsby Offline

Loc: Norwich England UK            
If possible, please submit to the correct category. It can make quite a difference.

What's more, if an editor moves your quiz from one category to another - for example, a quiz on a British prime minister or a U.S. president from People to World - please don't move it back to the wrong category again.

FT Editor, History and People

Edited by bloomsby (Wed Jan 28 2009 08:57 PM)

#106379 - Thu Jan 29 2009 01:24 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: bloomsby]
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

Loc: California USA
More often than not, a quiz is held up by some concern an editor has about sources, or the way it's written. Sometimes I will edit a quiz then think, 'great, I think this one's ready to go.' and ooops, I come across something I know will be a correction note magnet.
I cannot in all honesty release it by fixing that myself as the person won't know what's been done. This will hold up the process on a quiz.

Sometimes the entire queue is full of quizzes that have one or two iffy questions and that's when things get blocked.

I think I've probably said it several times over the years, but, if your writing is very consistent across the subject areas and you improve it steadily with the help of the editors or on your own, an editor can pluck it out and get it online very quickly. If there are things preventing its dispatch, then, it will take longer.

that's the bottom line for me as an editor.

Heather aka Bruyere

#106380 - Fri Jan 30 2009 10:10 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: Bruyere]
funnytrivianna Offline
Forum Adept

Heya Heather,

That reply was really nicely written and very helpful. Thanks for your input.

When you editors let we authors know these things, in such a pleasant way, it makes it so much easier to accept the waiting times and to understand why the waiting times are long some of the time.

Thanks again!
Giz

#106381 - Mon Feb 16 2009 12:39 AM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: funnytrivianna]
Midget40 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Perth Western Australia       
May I ask someone to check if something similar has happened to my "Paris Landmarks" Quiz? I've been trying to be very patient but I did submit it on the 18th of Jan and I haven't received any correction notes or anything. I'm just wondering now if something has gone wrong somewhere? It would be appreciated

Thanks

#106382 - Mon Feb 16 2009 09:39 AM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: Midget40]
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
Quote:

May I ask someone to check if something similar has happened to my "Paris Landmarks" Quiz? I've been trying to be very patient but I did submit it on the 18th of Jan and I haven't received any correction notes or anything. I'm just wondering now if something has gone wrong somewhere? It would be appreciated

Thanks

Midget, you last submitted your quiz on Feb 09 09. Please remember that each time you save your quiz, the computer doesn't understand your quiz had already been submitted and treats it like a new submission.

Editor for Television Category

#106383 - Mon Feb 16 2009 10:44 AM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: ladymacb29]
supersal1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Essex UK
I got caught like this when I first started making quizzes. It is a bit misleading because it does say, after you've submitted the quiz, that you can go in and edit it at any time.

Perhaps it would be an idea to add to that note something along the lines of "However, please be aware that editing your quiz once it has been submitted will send it to the back of the queue".

#106384 - Mon Feb 16 2009 01:35 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: ladymacb29]
Midget40 Offline
Forum Champion

Thanks for checking for me Ladymach - its appreciated but you've just about made me cry

I really didn't go back into it and save it again.

I never touch them once I've submitted them (Until an editor tells me I have to that is LOL)

Is it possible there is a bug in the system?

#106385 - Mon Feb 16 2009 02:56 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: Midget40]
jonnowales Offline
Prolific

Loc: Swansea,UK
It looks like your quiz has gone online Midget -- Fine one it is too!

Edited by jonnowales (Mon Feb 16 2009 02:57 PM)

#106386 - Tue Feb 17 2009 06:53 AM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: jonnowales]
Midget40 Offline
Forum Champion

gtho4 put it online for me so I've stopped stressing.

Thanks for your help and thankyou for the compliment Jon

#106387 - Tue Feb 17 2009 08:17 AM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: Midget40]
adawaz Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Guildford Western Australia   
I would like to thank the editors for their help to a relatively new author. You only learn by making mistakes (despite how often quiz creation guidelines are read!) They have made quiz creating much easier for me by constructive input so thanks again

#106388 - Sun Feb 22 2009 08:15 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: adawaz]
Triviaballer Offline
Explorer

Loc: Florida USA       
Is there any way that the one quiz submission at a time rule can be removed? When you submit a quiz in some categories you're waiting for two or three weeks for a response and if you've already got other quizzes ready to go online (in categories that you know will have a short wait time for getting the quiz online) you have to wait until that one passes the system. I know that some authors have the capability of doing this but for some reason it was removed for me. Why is it that at one point I was able to submit multiple quizzes at a time but now I can only submit one at a time?

#106389 - Mon Feb 23 2009 12:31 AM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: Triviaballer]
crisw Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Jamul
California USA
"Is there any way that the one quiz submission at a time rule can be removed?"

As you already note, it is removed for exceptional authors. People get this capacity for writing consistently good quizzes that require little editing. It can be removed if quizwriting gets sloppy. If you see the "green screen" on your quizzes, you won't get to submit more than one.

In your case, it looks like you were able to submit multiple quizzes in the past before we had the "one quiz per author" rule.

I don't expect to see the rule removed, nor would I want it to be. If an author produces good quizzes that require little work for the editor, they do get the privilege. This should be a reason to work on writing better quizzes. If quizzes need to be returned constantly for plagiarism, grammar problems, spelling errors, not reading Guidelines, etc., then there really isn't any good reason for that person to be submitting more than one quiz at a time.

#106390 - Wed Feb 25 2009 05:42 AM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: crisw]
Midget40 Offline
Forum Champion

The only thing I could see as a possible exception to this would be with the Brain Teasers. They are so uniquely different than the other quizs would there not be a rationale to be able to have one submitted in the usual quizs while being able to submit a brain teaser as well? Or would this not be easible from a programming point of view?

#106391 - Wed Feb 25 2009 10:58 AM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: Midget40]
guitargoddess Offline

That really depends on the nature of the Brain Teaser quiz. Some are quite straight-forward and would rarely, if ever, need correcting. But there are other types that are less straight-forward than, say, the Drop-A-Letter quizzes. Other forms of 'brain teaser' and would need more work between author and editor, so I don't think you could really say that Brain Teasers are easy, therefore you can submit another one at the same time as any Brain Teaser.

#106392 - Wed Feb 25 2009 01:13 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: guitargoddess]
Midget40 Offline
Forum Champion

Sorry GG, didn't mean that they were easy just totally different.

I imagine that most of the problems with usual quizs that people need to work on until they're good enough to be able to submit more than one are appilcable to all the other quiz catagories.

Brain teasers seem totally different. Apart from the obvious spelling and grammer it's a different skillset. You could be able to write a perfect quiz but not be able to do a Brain Teaser (and visa versa)

There's also the fact that Brain Teasers don't require interesing info which is where I imagine a lot of editing comes in.

I have no idea if this is true but it appears that way.

#106393 - Wed Feb 25 2009 02:10 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: Midget40]
guitargoddess Offline

That's true, I suppose not requiring interesting info helps. But again, that depends on the nature of the brain teaser. If it's logic puzzles or something, those kinda DO require interesting info, because you have to explain to the quiz player how to arrive at the answer. I still think there are some types of brain teasers that would require a fair amount of editing work.

Perhaps we should wait for crisw to come along and tell us

Page 10 of 19 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 18 19 >

Moderator:  agony, gtho4