Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 17 of 19 < 1 2 ... 15 16 17 18 19 >
Topic Options
#965892 - Thu Feb 07 2013 12:42 AM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: TonyTheDad]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Briar Hill Victoria Australia 
You can see the editors in any category from the home page by selecting Quizzes, then Browse Quizzes form the dropdown menu, then the category in which you are interested. You will see a welcome message, and a list of the various subcategories available to select at the next level. Under that, and above a sample of some quizzes in the category, is a list of the editors for that category. In the case of Television, they are shown as ladymacb29, Gamemaster1967, kyleisalive, guitargoddess. If you wish to contact one of them, you can do so by clicking their name there - when you see their profile, click on the option to Send a Note, and then do so.

#965896 - Thu Feb 07 2013 01:14 AM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: Linda1]
gracious1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New York USA
Originally Posted By: Linda1
Moving this up for "macquiz." Also take a look at Terry's thread, "Tips for Quiz Creation."

Here's Terry's thread-click here to go to it

[ link updated ]

That link took me to an error page.

#965897 - Thu Feb 07 2013 01:15 AM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: looney_tunes]
scorpion1960 Offline
Participant

Loc: Texas USA
Thank you very much.

#965898 - Thu Feb 07 2013 01:21 AM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: gracious1]
Snowman Offline
Prolific

Loc: London England UK            
Originally Posted By: gracious1
Originally Posted By: Linda1
Moving this up for "macquiz." Also take a look at Terry's thread, "Tips for Quiz Creation."

Here's Terry's thread-click here to go to it

[ link updated ]

That link took me to an error page.

Well it was posted 13 years ago.

#980657 - Thu Apr 25 2013 09:41 AM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: TonyTheDad]
paa2isback Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Durgapur West Bengal India
Well I have posted a quiz in General catagory 6 days ago. At that time the queue size was about 2-7 days. Well I know that I have a bad rating and least priority but then also it has not been touched even once since submitted.

#980658 - Thu Apr 25 2013 09:46 AM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: TonyTheDad]
Mariamir Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Ontario Canada
Hey, I've been in General for 9 days, untouched. Don't worry, it'll be your turn, soon. smile

#980660 - Thu Apr 25 2013 10:01 AM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: TonyTheDad]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
Please don't pay a lot of attention to that number. Here's a discussion that gives a slightly clearer picture of how the queues actually work. http://www.funtrivia.com/bb.cfm?action=details&qnid=27853&boardid=2222222 Kyle especially has a long post there that might put it in perspective for you.

#989449 - Wed Jun 19 2013 05:11 AM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: Terry]
Irishrosy Offline
Participant

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
Hi Terry and all,

The rules for Time Dependency make good sense. However, I am not clear on some aspects. Ten days ago, I submitted a quiz which in the Introduction to it, I stated it would involve questions from the 1940-1955 era. Not new to submitting quizzes (13 online I think), and basically getting them quickly there with little or no editing, I am surprised that this new quiz, just recently submitted, has not found its way to be reviewed and replied to re going on line or corrections.

I know that the General category takes longer and that this time of year is vacation time so if that is the reason, I do understand the delay.

My thought though is, have I accidentally made a mistake re Time Dependency causing the delay?

The amount of work for Editors I know is enormous, and I appreciate all the time and effort that goes into editing submitted quizzes, but I wish, if it will take longer than a week for a quiz to have some reaction either placed on line or suggestions from editors, that after 1 week a note be sent to the author of the quiz to say why. Even if it is to say an overwhelming number of quizzes submitted this month, etc etc etc

I think most of us understand and appreciate all that is involved in this matter, but just a nod to an author after a time lapse might be able to occur?

I thank you for listening.
Very sincerely,
Irishrosy

#989458 - Wed Jun 19 2013 05:36 AM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: Irishrosy]
LadyCaitriona Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada         
Hi Irishrosy, and thank you for your patience in waiting for an editor to review your quiz.

I think writing to authors to let them know that their quiz will be seen to in its proper turn would be counter-productive. Most authors on the site know that the editors are volunteers and that while we are here because we enjoy what we do and we like to spend as much time editing as possible, we all have "real" lives and jobs and other things that require our attention, and sometimes tackling a quiz in the queue that's been there for a few days takes a back seat. If we spent time messaging all the authors who are waiting whose quizzes we don't have time to edit at the moment, that's less time that we can spend editing said quizzes.

I notice in the queue that your quiz says it was submitted (or modified) four days ago. Did you happen to access your quiz after it was submitted, and save (changes or no) when exiting? Every time you save a quiz when it is in the queue changes its date-submitted stamp and pushes it further to the bottom of the queue. Also, when you access a quiz (whether you save or not) and for a length of time after you leave it will display to any editor accessing your quiz that you are currently working in it. An editor will not edit your quiz while this is the case, lest we overwrite each other's changes.

Edited by LadyCaitriona (Wed Jun 19 2013 05:39 AM)

Editor for Humanities and Movies

#989473 - Wed Jun 19 2013 06:59 AM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: LadyCaitriona]
Irishrosy Offline
Participant

I changed a typo after I submitted the quiz, perhaps that is what happened? How do rectify this situation if I have unwittingly sent my quiz to the bottom of the barrel? Thank you for you quick reply and advice. I do appreciate it.

#989474 - Wed Jun 19 2013 07:10 AM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: Irishrosy]
LadyCaitriona Offline
Forum Champion

There's nothing that can be done if you've gone in and saved a change while the quiz is in a queue.

It's best to submit your quiz after a thorough proofreading and then just leave it be. If you're accessing your quiz even just to review, without saving changes, it's still going to notify the editors that you're in the quiz template possibly making changes, and your quiz will be skipped in favour of the next one in the queue to avoid overwriting each other.

As long as you've done a good job proofreading before you submit, your quiz is not going to be sent back to you for a typo; the editor will fix it as part of the editing process. It takes a lot more time to send back and then re-edit a quiz when it is resubmitted than to fix a typo or two.

#989476 - Wed Jun 19 2013 07:28 AM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: Terry]
JanIQ Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Antwerp
Belgium
Rosy,

although I'm not an editor I want to clarify a point. Time dependency in questions WILL provoke a reaction of the editor reviewing your quiz. The fact that you didn't have a reply yet, is not because you suspect one of your questions being time dependent.

#989487 - Wed Jun 19 2013 08:34 AM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: LadyCaitriona]
Irishrosy Offline
Participant

OH sigh!!!!! and I did so love writing this quiz, boohoo.:o((( Maybe some day I shall see it online.:o)) I thought I saw you could edit so I did. Then I saw if you did it went to the end of the line, next time I shall know better...Thank you for taking the time to reply to me. I sincerely appreciate it.

Edited by Irishrosy (Wed Jun 19 2013 08:39 AM)
Edit Reason: spelling

#989494 - Wed Jun 19 2013 09:20 AM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: Terry]
guitargoddess Online   FT-cool

The standard message after you submit does say you can modify your quiz at any time. And you can, nothing stops you. It's just not necessarily the greatest idea because, as said, it changes it's place in the queue. Now if you realize you've made a huge glaring error, it may be worth going in and correcting it and pushing your quiz to the end of the queue as it could actually save time versus having the quiz sent back to you and resubmitting. But for the most part it's best to leave it alone after you submit, even though you CAN make a change to it after it has been submitted

#989498 - Wed Jun 19 2013 09:29 AM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: Terry]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
Don't worry, it'll be edited! As long as it's in the queue, someone will get to it in time.

You might find this discussion useful http://www.funtrivia.com/bb.cfm?action=details&qnid=27853&boardid=2222222

And I'd like to enlarge on Jan's point - a couple of errors, such as time dependency, won't really affect when the quiz is edited, much. If the editors can see that a quiz will need major work - half the introduction is misspelled, say - they might wait to work on that quiz until they have the time or strength of will, but a basically decent quiz with a few issues is not really a problem.

The things an author can do to affect wait time are:

- Leave the quiz alone once submitted
- Do your best to follow guidelines and proofread
- Don't plagiarize
- Establish a good working relationship with the editors. A past history of totally disregarding instructions and fighting with the editors will result in longer wait times. A history of co operation and honest willingness to learn will not, even if there are some problems with the quizzes.

All that said, a long wait is more likely to be because of something on this side of the fence, and out of the author's control. Especially in the busier categories, it's probably not something you did, but just the realities of a volunteer workforce.

#989518 - Wed Jun 19 2013 10:53 AM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: Terry]
Irishrosy Offline
Participant

Thank you all for your replies. I seldom have any problem submitting a quiz and if so, it is a small one and resolved just about immediately. I do go about this site and read the rules to an nth degree. This was just one of those times that I think I was too hasty. Trying to be a perfectionist as it is asked when submitting a quiz makes me think and try too hard. This is a reminder to me, that a typo is just that...relax, and let things go when not grossly incorrect. In the future, so be it. I shall remember. I shall return. Smiling to you all.

#989620 - Thu Jun 20 2013 12:27 AM nmerr's quiz 'How Sweet It Is"
nmerr Offline
Participant

Loc: Salt Lake City Utah USA      
I submitted my latest quiz "How Sweet It Is" on June 8. It is now the 20th and still it has not been checked. I realize editors are busy but 12 days is a little long to wait. Any takers?

#989637 - Thu Jun 20 2013 03:47 AM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: nmerr]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Briar Hill Victoria Australia 
Your quiz is submitted to a category which currently shows an average waiting time of 5-7 days. An average, of course, is a middling value - some will be longer, some shorter (especially if it is a resubmission that only needs a few things checked, rather than a full edit).

There is really no point posting a complaint about the wait - your quiz will be edited when an editor in that category reaches it in the queue. (Remember, each category has its own queue, there is not just one large queue for all quizzes.)

I recommend you read this thread about dealing with the queue and the editing process. (edited to remove a duplicated process0

http://www.funtrivia.com/bb.cfm?action=details&qnid=27853&boardid=2222222

Edited by looney_tunes (Thu Jun 20 2013 03:48 AM)

#989655 - Thu Jun 20 2013 05:40 AM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: looney_tunes]
LadyCaitriona Offline
Forum Champion

Also, your quiz in the queue says it was submitted June 12. Any time you go into your quiz and save changes, it puts a new submission date on the quiz and puts it to the back of the line.

#989671 - Thu Jun 20 2013 06:09 AM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: nmerr]
rossian Offline
Prolific

Loc: Merseyside UK 
Comment removed.

Edited by rossian (Thu Jun 20 2013 07:28 AM)

#994112 - Tue Jul 02 2013 03:25 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: TonyTheDad]
zippolover Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Norfolk UK
Is there any way of looking to see if an Editor is actually looking at a quiz WITHOUT clicking on edit to see, please?

#994113 - Tue Jul 02 2013 03:36 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: TonyTheDad]
guitargoddess Online   FT-cool

No, there isn't. Once you've hit submit, an editor could be looking at it at any time. Another thing to note too is that even if an editor does look at it, that doesn't mean it's being edited and accepted/rejected at that time. An editor might open a quiz, scan it, realize they don't have time for it right now, and back out.

#994114 - Tue Jul 02 2013 03:37 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: TonyTheDad]
Buddy1 Online   content
Mainstay

Loc: Arkansas USA
Is that possible? I'm no editor, but I'd think that if they look at someone else's quiz, they are clicking on edit to see.

EDIT: guitargoddess answered before me, so I guess there is a way.

Edited by Buddy1 (Tue Jul 02 2013 03:38 PM)

#1000007 - Fri Aug 02 2013 09:41 AM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: TonyTheDad]
Ellabear Offline
Learning the ropes...

Loc: Richmond BC Canada           
Hello I am a new author and I have some questions.

When I submitted my quiz a week ago it said the wait time is 2 days, then it changed to 3-4 days, then 5-7 days and now it's back to 2 days, so what should I go by? The wait time when I submit the quiz or the updates? I know the wait times are approximate but I am a bit confused. My quiz is still in the queue (I hope). I really like this site and I have a couple more quizzes waiting to go but it says I cannot because I am new and had to wait till my quiz is online first?

Is it possible to order the submissions so that I know, for example, that my quiz is 10th in line In Hobbies category for review? Would that be easier than just giving an approximate time frame?

Lastly, does clicking on the edit button accidentally put it back at the end of the line? I didn't change anything just clicked by mistake. So now I don't know where I am in line?

Thank you for answering my questions. I really enjoy this site and it is such a good learning experience whether I am playing the quizzes or making one up myself.

#1000011 - Fri Aug 02 2013 09:53 AM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: TonyTheDad]
kyleisalive Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Toronto, Canada, eh!
Quote:
Lastly, does clicking on the edit button accidentally put it back at the end of the line?

Clicking to save any changes to your quiz puts it at the end of the queue.

The queue wait time list has to be taken with a grain of salt; editors will try to edit quizzes in a timely fashion and in order, but are not obligated to do so. If they have a limited amount of time in a day they may choose a reliable author because they know they can place it online faster; they may choose someone they've already started working with because the changes might be made already; the quiz may simply be tagged for another editor (which I think is your case).

This is why we can't really give your position in line or a specific time. There are a number of factors at hand.

Page 17 of 19 < 1 2 ... 15 16 17 18 19 >

Moderator:  agony, gtho4