Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 18 of 19 < 1 2 ... 16 17 18 19 >
Topic Options
#1000030 - Fri Aug 02 2013 10:33 AM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: TonyTheDad]
Ellabear Offline
Learning the ropes...

Loc: Richmond BC Canada           
Thank you.
What do you mean by being tagged for another editor? Was my quiz in the wrong category?

#1000041 - Fri Aug 02 2013 10:45 AM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: TonyTheDad]
dg_dave Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Dallas, TX USA              
No, what Kyle is saying is a specific editor is assigned to your quiz. The editor assigned may be more proficient in what your quiz is asking about than the other category editors.

It will be looked at in due time and the staff is all volunteers.

Edited by dg_dave (Fri Aug 02 2013 10:47 AM)

#1000044 - Fri Aug 02 2013 10:49 AM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: TonyTheDad]
Ellabear Offline
Learning the ropes...

Thank you.
So my understanding Is that the quiz is too specific? is there anything that I should be careful about on my side, or is this just an administration decision?

I really appreciate the time the editors put into editing the quizzes. I guess I am just a bit too excited about getting my quizzes on line and is getting a little impatient.

Edited by Ellabear (Fri Aug 02 2013 10:55 AM)

#1000050 - Fri Aug 02 2013 11:01 AM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: TonyTheDad]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Colorado USA
There could be a number of reasons a quiz is tagged. Some editors have different categories of expertise than others within a category, so one editor may be the sole editor for a particular subcategory and others will let that editor edit it. The first thing that comes to mind as an example is that NatalieW edits For Children, as does Looney_Tunes. However, Natalie will save Kids Literature quizzes for Looney_Tunes to edit, as it's Looney's quiz, so it may be tagged for Looney to look at.

Alternately, if an editor has already worked with you on a quiz, edited it and talked about it with you, typically the quiz will only be dealt with that editor, and others will not do anything with it, allowing only that editor to work with the quiz. smile

#1000059 - Fri Aug 02 2013 11:46 AM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: TonyTheDad]
kyleisalive Online   FT-cool
Forum Champion

Loc: Toronto, Canada, eh!
Your quiz is being looked at by an editor in Canada, which is suitable considering the subject matter. wink

#1000064 - Fri Aug 02 2013 12:35 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: TonyTheDad]
guitargoddess Offline

Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada         
A big number of submitted quizzes get tagged for a specific editor, it's not because it's too specific or anything the author did wrong. The reason most often is that the editor has already worked on it, like salami said, so if you get a correction notice on your quiz from editor A, when you resubmit it will wait until editor A can look at it again. Unfortunately it may happen that you resubmit, for example, just as editor A is going away for a long weekend, so it'll be a few days until it is looked at again. During this time, even if editor B is available to edit, they won't touch yours because editor A is already working on it.

This could happen even if you didn't get a rejection and resubmit in the interim. An editor may start editing your quiz, get halfway through and - oh no, the washing machine is flooding the house! So they stop editing, tag the quiz with their name and go off to deal with real life. It may be another day or two before they come back to finish with your quiz, but again in the meantime other editors won't review your quiz because someone else has already been working on it and we generally leave it to them to finish it. There can be exceptions; if the editor is going to be away for three months, well someone will take over the editing of the quizzes they were working on. But generally it waits for the person who already started it

#1000077 - Fri Aug 02 2013 01:48 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: TonyTheDad]
maninmidohio Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Newark Ohio USA               
In the author's lounge located here you will find many discussions that are helpful to authors. The first thread (Editors discussing quizzes) includes links to several topics including an in depth discussion of the queues.

#1000119 - Fri Aug 02 2013 04:54 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: TonyTheDad]
Ellabear Offline
Learning the ropes...

Thank you all for your explanations. I did not receive a rejection so I must assume my editor is taking his/her time to review my quiz.

As I said I was just getting a little impatient because I am not allowed to submit any more quizzes until this one is online. I have an Author Challenge one and another Adventures in Authoring one ready to go but am not able to submit them. When would I be able to submit more than one quiz at a time?

Thanks again for your replies.

#1000128 - Fri Aug 02 2013 05:21 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: TonyTheDad]
Buddy1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Arkansas USA
It varies from author to author, with no fixed number or list of qualifications.

#1000131 - Fri Aug 02 2013 05:48 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: Buddy1]
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
As long as your quiz has a status of 'submitted' your quiz is in the queue waiting to be see by an editor. smile

Editor for Television Category

#1000132 - Fri Aug 02 2013 06:00 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: ladymacb29]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
Quote:
When would I be able to submit more than one quiz at a time?

If you read some of those articles linked to, you'll get some idea. It's based on the quality of your submissions, and the tone of your interactions with the editors. A reasonable person with good writing skills who is easy to discuss issues with will get it faster, a person who fights the staff every step of the way and can't write an English sentence may never get it at all.

#1000137 - Fri Aug 02 2013 06:38 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: TonyTheDad]
guitargoddess Offline

And there are many authors who never get the ability. It's not a certainty.

#1019700 - Thu Nov 07 2013 06:51 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: TonyTheDad]
pent2go Offline
Participant

Loc: Ontario Canada
I submitted a crossword approximately 6 weeks ago, and I haven't received any sort of notice regarding its progress. My other crosswords have taken 2 days-2 weeks to be processed, so I'm curious whether there's some sort of glitch here, or my other crosswords just got processed in record time.

#1019982 - Sat Nov 09 2013 10:50 AM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: TonyTheDad]
SilverMoonsong Offline

Loc: Morrisville North Carolina USA
Sorry about that. Real life kicked me in the tail. It's online now.

#1026633 - Thu Dec 19 2013 06:59 AM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: TonyTheDad]
zippolover Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Norfolk UK
I really wish that there was no quiz waiting time button! I look before submitting and it is an empty category. Next look and it is within 2 days. Then it is 2 - 3 days!

#1026637 - Thu Dec 19 2013 08:06 AM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: TonyTheDad]
agony Offline

Administrator

I'd advise not looking!

#1026641 - Thu Dec 19 2013 09:31 AM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: TonyTheDad]
zippolover Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Norfolk UK
I agree, but it a kind of compulsion. You go through such self doubts while waiting. If only there was some way to know the quiz was not being picked over by stampeding herd of heffalumps.

Edited by zippolover (Thu Dec 19 2013 09:32 AM)
Edit Reason: Not that I am suggesting the editors are heffalumps

#1026686 - Thu Dec 19 2013 03:51 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: TonyTheDad]
agony Offline

Administrator

More likely it's not being picked over at all - that the particular hefflump who might normally look at it is in a honey trap.

#1026687 - Thu Dec 19 2013 03:57 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: TonyTheDad]
guitargoddess Offline

I agree it's difficult not too obsessively wonder about your submitted quizzes, but those wait times are very inaccurate, for many reasons. Often it works the opposite way too, like it might say 5 days waiting time but your quiz will actually only wait 1 or 2 days.

#1026791 - Fri Dec 20 2013 08:58 AM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: TonyTheDad]
kyleisalive Online   FT-cool
Forum Champion

Loc: Toronto, Canada, eh!
If a quiz sits for five days in the queue and two more are submitted on day five before the editor gets to them in one fell swoop, the average is really quite stilted. Not to mention any quizzes sitting for certain editors or being held for later dates (like the Advent quizzes).

#1026810 - Fri Dec 20 2013 11:34 AM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: TonyTheDad]
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London UK           
Actually I didn't know there was a waiting time button, but knew there was a category waiting list, although I couldn't find the link and had to search for it externally. I don't normally mention it but as it's been raised now it says the hobbies queue is about a week but I'm now well over two. That in itself isn't unusual but my point being it does not reflect what the queue is saying, which isn't much help if it's over 100% out.

UN IPCC

#1026830 - Fri Dec 20 2013 02:03 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: TonyTheDad]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Briar Hill Victoria Australia 
The number really isn't much help, for a variety of reasons which have already been mentioned. I haven't checked it for years now. When I did, I only used it on submission to get an idea of how long I could expect as a minimum, to keep myself from compulsively checking every ten minutes to see if there was a message in my mail yet. One of my earliest quizzes went to a category that then had a single editor who went on holidays (outrageous! :D),so the initial 1-2 days got a day longer each day, a very frustrating experience.

Sometimes it is off in the other direction, too. If a quiz is sitting there for two weeks waiting for a particular editor to get to it, but the other quizzes are being processed quickly, most quizzes will actually be taking less time than is indicated by the average. The one that is waiting will take longer than the average - that is the nature of an average.

#1038592 - Thu Mar 20 2014 08:56 PM More than one Quiz under review
Giniw Offline
Participant

Loc: New York USA
What is the criteria to be able to submit more than one quiz for review? I'd like to be able to, especially if one of my quizzes is in a lengthy queue.

#1038594 - Thu Mar 20 2014 09:09 PM Re: More than one Quiz under review [Re: Giniw]
dg_dave Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Dallas, TX USA              
That is up to the editing staff. There are no "set" criteria, other than just follow the rules of the category, working well with the editors, and having quality work submitted.

#1038601 - Fri Mar 21 2014 12:00 AM Re: More than one Quiz under review [Re: TonyTheDad]
gtho4 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Sydney oz downunder           
Scroll back through this thread and you'll find the answer.

Page 18 of 19 < 1 2 ... 16 17 18 19 >

Moderator:  agony, gtho4