Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 2 of 19 < 1 2 3 4 ... 18 19 >
Topic Options
#106169 - Mon Jun 03 2002 06:40 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time
Sprink1234 Offline
Participant

Loc: North Carolina USA
Linda, or anyone else that can answer my question...

Do quizzes in creation status get deleted after a period of time if they are not completed and submitted?

Thanks in advance.

#106170 - Mon Jun 03 2002 07:35 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time
crisw Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Jamul
California USA
No. The only time that this can happen is if you create (but never finish/submit) a quiz in a category that is then deleted or moved. If that happens, your quiz goes into a "twilight zone" limbo where an editor will eventually see it and restore it (if it's obvious that it was being worked on.)

I know that I have 2 quizzes I started a year ago and haven't yet finished!

[ June 03, 2002, 08:36 PM: Message edited by: crisw ]

#106171 - Sat Aug 24 2002 07:03 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time
Linda1 Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Munchkinland
Up again.

(I'm going to "sticky" this to the top of the forum for a while, so it doesn't drop down so quickly.)

#106172 - Fri Sep 20 2002 05:04 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time
BenjiSim Offline
Learning the ropes...

Loc: Houston Texas USA            
Where can I see how busy different sections are, and how long the average quiz takes to be placed online for that section?

#106173 - Fri Sep 20 2002 05:09 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time
ozzz2002 Offline

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia        
BenjiSim, on the main quiz page, there is a link called 'Queue Status'. It lists all the main categories and the approximate waiting times. I stress the word 'approximate'- there are many factors that could change these figures upwards or downwards.

Editor, Hobbies and Sports, and Forum Moderator

#106174 - Thu Sep 26 2002 05:01 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time
snowomen Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Cameron North Carolina USA   
I created a 'Jeff Hardy' quiz on September 21 and now it is the 26 and I dying if it is online or not, but it's not online and I'm hoping someone checks it really soon. Thanks!

#106175 - Thu Sep 26 2002 06:00 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time
DakotaNorth Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Philadelphia Pennsylvania USA
Snowomen, your quiz is in the queue. However, there are other quizzes that are ahead of your quiz. When your quiz is next up, it will be edited. I can't say if it will be placed online, though.

#106176 - Fri Sep 27 2002 08:24 AM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time
snowomen Offline
Enthusiast

Post deleted by snowomen

Edited by DakotaNorth (Fri Sep 27 2002 10:44 PM)

#106177 - Sun Oct 20 2002 11:52 AM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time
snowomen Offline
Enthusiast

I recently made a quiz on 'SoulBlade' and a editor helped me with my errors I had. I corrected the errors like he said then sumitted the quiz. A couple days later an other editor checks it then tells me to change my question to multiple choice. Now my quiz has to wait again until it goes online because one editor tells me to change my question to multiple choice when the other didn't tell me to change anything but errors!

#106178 - Sun Oct 20 2002 12:09 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time
DakotaNorth Offline
Forum Champion

Snowomen, as mentioned before, if you have any questions regarding your quiz, the proper thing to do is hit reply on the correction and ask the editor why you have to change it to multiple choice.

Since I am the one who told you to change it to multiple choice, here is my reason. The name in the fill in the blank is of a foreign nature and players would have difficulty getting the spelling right. Then you would have numerous correction notes from players who would say that they spelled it right, but that you had it wrong. So multiple choice for that question is better than fill in the blank.

I hope this answered your question.

#106179 - Tue Mar 25 2003 06:51 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time
Mile-O-Phile Offline
Learning the ropes...

Quote:

Future quizzes by you will be noticed and approved more quickly, just because we know that yours is going to be easy to do.

In what respect do you mean "easy to do"? Is this easy to scan and allow for publication, or allows someone of limited intelligence a genuine chance at scoring points?

I have had a quiz written, rejected, and resubmitted and have now waited weeks while it remains static in the 'awaiting approval' limbo. I am aware that there is a waiting list but I feel that the time I have waited to date has thus far exceeded the virtual management of my expectations.

I replied to the editors and have thus far received no reply to my grievances over the rejection of my quiz.

So, for the moderators/editors of the general section, I quote my reply:

"I find the notion that my quiz was rejected on the grounds that it doesn't contain any multiple choice questions is ridiculous. The use of multiple choice questions is a recommendation and as an author I feel that I can accept the "recommendation" and use my better judgement to bypass this option altogether. I think that the sheer number of multiple choices on the site indicate a sway toward dumbing down - what's wrong with a question where the specific answer is required? It's general knowledge: sometimes you know the answer, and sometimes you don't and can take an educated guess - that's the fun of a quiz. In all questions I have written where there may be a different answer (i.e full name) I have endeavoured to add a second answer that can also be accepted. Thankyou."

Please can someone inform me if there is a genuine problem with respect to the delay on the General section of the site, or if it is just a personal dislike on behalf of the moderator/editor that reviewed my quiz for acceptance?

Again, thankyou.

#106180 - Tue Mar 25 2003 07:12 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time
Linda1 Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Munchkinland
As far as "easy to do", it refers to the difficulty that the editors have in editing a quiz. There are some quizzes that take a mere moment to review and approve (actually, a very rare occurrence). Some take much longer and require extensive editing and guidance. If we see a quiz in the queue from someone that we know we've never had a problem with - be it that they are very good in crafting their quizzes AS WELL AS they are polite when conversing with their fellow players and with the editors, it does affect our view of the quiz in question.

As for multiple choice vs fill-in-the-blank, Quizzyland is not a rapid-fire test; this isn't school where you're graded over your knowledge. Over the years, we have discovered that all fill-in-the-blanks (in categories such as General and many others) are not as widely accepted by the players. Frankly, they just aren't liked, and they're not played as often. We encourage quizmakers to use multiple choice whenever possible. We've learned that these are the kinds of quizzes that people want to play. Quizmakers tend to get grumpy when they realize that their quizzes aren't being played when they've spent quite a bit of time crafting them. This is one reason why we, having had the experience of seeing what gets played often and what doesn't, suggest certain things regarding the creation of quizzes. Plus, we strongly encourage new quizmakers to use multiple choice only, because, fill-in-the-blank quizzes require quizmakers to understand how the format works. The general policy in Quizzyland is that newcomers start out with a multiple choice only quiz.

I looked at your quiz, but I can't remember if the editor who reviewed your quiz mentioned this or not. You have no trivia in the Interesting Info boxes. Please refer to the Category Quiz Creation Guidelines for the requirements regarding these sections. Quizzes can't be put online until the Guidelines are followed.

In terms of the particular editor who first looked at your quiz, I haven't spoken with her to see what her perspective on the quiz is.

I can tell you one reason your quiz may still be in the queue, though. You haven't ever asked the editor for clarification or help IMPORTANT NOTE (and this applies to everyone), if you get a rejection notice, DO NOT use the "This is not an error" to respond to it. This method does not accomplish what you are trying to do, as it often does not reach the editor who sent the notice. As we've said multiple times, please use the "Reply to Person Who Sent This Note" button to respond to any rejection notices.

Hope this answers some of your questions!

#106181 - Tue Mar 25 2003 07:52 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
Also, about waiting 'weeks' - your quiz was resubmitted only 10 days ago. Because all of the editors are volunteers, we do have other priorities in our lives than this site. Sometimes editors will 'skip over' a quiz if they see another editor has already become familiar (through something like a previous rejection) with the quiz or because it's a topic that one of the editors is an 'expert' on.

So what I'm trying to say in the midst of my rambling is that sometimes editors go on (gasp!) vacation and in categories like General, they tend to leave quizzes for the editor who first rejected it.

Editor for Television Category

#106182 - Tue Mar 25 2003 10:57 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time
lddfsu Offline
Participant

Loc: Virginia
Quote:

IMPORTANT NOTE (and this applies to everyone), if you get a rejection notice, DO NOT use the "This is not an error" to respond to it. This method does not accomplish what you are trying to do, as it often does not reach the editor who sent the notice. As we've said multiple times, please use the "Reply to Person Who Sent This Note" button to respond to any rejection notices.

If the "This is not an error" key doesn't seem to work with these kinds of problems, why is it there? It's been a long time since I've created a quiz, but I don't remember it ever being too clear which button you should hit. The instructions might have been changed in the past few months, but I don't remember anywhere that it told me to reply to the person who sent the note.

Hopefully, that made sense.

#106183 - Wed Mar 26 2003 09:46 AM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time
crisw Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Jamul
California USA
Quote:

If the "This is not an error" key doesn't seem to work with these kinds of problems, why is it there?

It's for explaining why a correction sent by a player (as opposed to an editor) is in error.

#106184 - Wed Mar 26 2003 11:54 AM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time
Mile-O-Phile Offline
Learning the ropes...

Thankyou.

#106185 - Wed Mar 26 2003 04:00 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time
skylarb Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Virginia USA
Quote:

IMPORTANT NOTE (and this applies to everyone), if you get a rejection notice, DO NOT use the "This is not an error" to respond to it. This method does not accomplish what you are trying to do, as it often does not reach the editor who sent the notice. As we've said multiple times, please use the "Reply to Person Who Sent This Note" button to respond to any rejection notices.
Hope this answers some of your questions!

As an aside--I'm glad you emphasized this, because it is not obvious to first time visitors. The natural inclination is to think that the editor will see what you write in that box, since the box is there under "This is not an error" option as if inviting comments for the editor to see. This is a suggesiton which may not be possible given your format or system, but if it is, I think it would be a good idea to simply eliminate the comment box altogether, and have only the two dots, with a note following istructing the quizmaker to respond directly to the editor.

#106186 - Mon Jun 02 2003 04:29 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time
OldOne Offline
Learning the ropes...

Loc: Northern California
Quote:

Over the years, we have discovered that all fill-in-the-blanks (in categories such as General and many others) are not as widely accepted by the players. Frankly, they just aren't liked, and they're not played as often. We encourage quizmakers to use multiple choice whenever possible.

I like fill-in-the-blank quizzes a lot, because they enable certain types of questions that would be too obvious otherwise. An obvious example are riddles, most of which would be trivial, and no fun, if they were multiple choice. In other areas, recalling a unique and distinctive name for something is a good challenge. Granted, a good fill-in is more difficult to construct, and I think that common spelling errors should be in the list of acceptable answers, so every quiz is not a spelling bee. Careful guidelines would help. It seems to me that with a zillion tastes in quizzes being catered to, drawing the line at fill-in-the-blanks is a strange limitation. However, if that is the rule, I think it ought to be put into the subject guidelines category by category, rather than leaving it to be discovered as an unwritten rule only after the quiz is submitted and then rejected on the grounds it is multiple choice.

#106187 - Tue Jun 03 2003 11:13 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time
Flibberdgibbit Offline
Learning the ropes...

I submitted a quiz in the movie category about 10 days ago and am patiently awaiting a response on that one. I already have another movie quiz ready for submission. My question is, do I have to wait for the other one to be approved before I can submit this one? I know that it said don't submit a truckload at once, that the number varied by category, but I really didn't find any specific numbers pertaining to the movie category. Would like to get it in, but didn't want to break any rules!
Thanks!

#106188 - Tue Jun 03 2003 11:23 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time
gtho4 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Sydney oz downunder           
Movies has a limit of one
on any page of the Movies category, click on the link Special Instructions: READ ME
(the link is in the middle, alongside Options: Create a Quiz)

#106189 - Tue Jun 03 2003 11:26 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time
Flibberdgibbit Offline
Learning the ropes...

Thanks for the prompt response! I looked under movies, but probably looked everywhere except where you're talking about! Thanks again!

#106190 - Wed Jun 04 2003 12:28 AM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

Loc: California USA
Re: the wait. Occasionally in the categories I help out in, there will be a few quizzes that have queries that hold up the others..as we need to hear from the quizmaker about his or her sources or something functional. This may influence the queues list that you view. Just wanted you to know that when a quiz is in the queue without a problem having been solved, that in my sections we give people a day or so to respond. Once again, I often tell people, please take your time before resubmitting, it makes the wait shorter for everyone.

Now, sigh, FITBS..OldOne, not everyone is as good at using the FITB as a rare color on their palette, to give an additional challenge to their work...without making it impossible to type in and, in fact, as we discourage and/or disallow the misspelling thing in most categories, it isn't an option. I know from personal experience on my own work and I am very careful when I do them, and then, editing others' work and also, manning the quality control where the correction notices end up, and the FITB really isn't the appropriate choice here in QL for the majority of quiz creators.
If this were a pencil and paper test, then you'd be fine asking for an FITB..it isn't.
Few creators use it as well as someone like Jazz for example..his FITBS are never unfair and always enhance his work.
IN the past they were allowed more often as we had no idea of all the types of problems they generated, and it proved to be a source of trouble.
And no, it isn't "dumbing down" a quiz to restrict these.
The invisible effect of too many ambiguous FITBS is not making your quiz succeed in the ratings, and rating it very difficult, which discourages people from trying it. Some people will not bother sending you a note to tell you, they'll just give up in midstream..
So though I feel for those of you who submit reasonably good FITBS then have us advise against them..but, the quiz that is smoothly constructed does much better.

By the way, I recently had a quiz rejected by my colleagues as being too hard as it was cartoon characters and had a few FITBS..I converted it and it's one of my best performing ones..so I'm convinced!

#106191 - Tue Aug 12 2003 08:35 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time
Free_will Offline
Explorer

Loc: Burnley, England
I had a quiz sent back to me because the editor said clear up other quiz correction notices, I did, then resubmited but it was still sent back to me, why?

#106192 - Tue Aug 12 2003 08:49 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time
gtho4 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Sydney oz downunder           
mate, don't ask the same question in two threads, expecting or hoping to get two different answers.

as per the other thread - discuss it with the editor working on your quiz, by using the "reply to" button at the bottom of the message. Editors are not the big bad ogre!

#106193 - Tue Aug 12 2003 09:24 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time
DakotaNorth Offline
Forum Champion

Will,

If you have a problem with the correction note I sent you, the proper thing to do is to send me a message in private.

By bringing out to the open forums, all it's going to do is embarass you if I state why I sent you the correction note.

Now, I'm sure you don't want that to happen...right?

Page 2 of 19 < 1 2 3 4 ... 18 19 >

Moderator:  agony, gtho4