Rules
Terms of Use

Page 7 of 20 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 19 20 >
Topic Options
#106294 - Wed Sep 10 2008 09:22 AM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: funnytrivianna]
guitargoddess Offline

Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada         
Just in response to it saying somewhere that you shouldn't contact the editors, I think what you're referring to is where it is suggested not to pester the editors about your quiz in the queue, i.e. do not submit a quiz and then every day for a week send a note saying "Is my quiz being looked at yet??"

I think, if you truly feel you have been waiting too long, no one would mind one polite note inquiring about your quiz.

And also, I would say in the case where more than one editor handled your quiz, if you have a question about it, ask the one who was last dealing with it. If necessary, he or she would refer you to someone else.

#106295 - Wed Sep 10 2008 04:37 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: guitargoddess]
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
http://www.plagiarism.org/

It's a good site I've referred several authors to before.

Editor for Television Category

#106296 - Wed Sep 10 2008 05:37 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: funnytrivianna]
Leau Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Nijmegen/Brisbane
Quote:

Now that I know how to check, submission date etc. without affecting the quiz, it was submitted July 17. I apologize for thinking it was June 30th. It was returned for repairs, also was switched around from categories, at one point, by one editor. I think three or four different editors have handled this quiz, so who do I ask about it then? It has been a real problem quiz, that's for sure!

The point is that your quiz was originally submitted on 16 July, but has been in and out of the queue since then. It was returned for corrections AND resubmitted by you on the 19th, returned again for corrections AND once more resubmitted by you on the 20th. The latest rejection on your quiz was on 25 August, after which you resubmitted on 27 August.
As I tried to explain before, it does NOT matter what the original submission date of your quiz was. The latest date determines the position in the queue. Say you go to the shop, buy your groceries, go home and realise you forgot to buy milk. So you go back to the store. Nobody is going to let you jump to the front of the queue just because you were already in that store earlier in the day. The same goes for quizzes.

So to summarise, your quiz has been waiting since 27 August.

#106297 - Thu Sep 11 2008 08:47 AM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: funnytrivianna]
Willow_Willow Offline
Participant

Quote:

Without authors, FT would not exist. I think that maybe this important point has been forgotten. It would be a lot better for an author to be given an idea as to where in the queue their quiz sits, something like 22nd out of 38 quizzes. Why are authors treated like we have no right to know where our quizzes stand? We are letting the site use our creations. Treating authors without enough concern and with too much omission of consideration is like a crack in the structure.

Too true, it seems, from the many posts I have read on the forums and chats over the past year. Another reason why I'm way too hot-headed to attempt to write a quiz here.

However, I would like to add, just as an observer, that it would be nice if editors occasionally treated frustrated authors with kinder, gentler words. A little kindness goes a long way in easing frustration. Remember the old catching more flies with honey adage?

Regardless of all of this, this site is awesome, and I absolutely love it. Thank you, Terry!

#106298 - Thu Sep 11 2008 09:21 AM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: Willow_Willow]
BxBarracuda Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Bronx
New York USA     
I thought that once an editor reviewed a quiz that it came out of the queue and was then assigned to that editor.

Every quiz I have had corrections on, which have been more then a few times for a single quiz, the same editor has always been the one to do any reviewing of the quiz, not mulitiple editors.

I am sure each editor to some degree has thier own style and things they look for in a quiz. As well as ideas in terms of what might make a quiz better.

It could get a bit confusing with multiple editors working on the same quiz with different points of view.

#106299 - Thu Sep 11 2008 10:10 AM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: BxBarracuda]
skunkee Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Burlington Ontario Canada  
Quote:

However, I would like to add, just as an observer, that it would be nice if editors occasionally treated frustrated authors with kinder, gentler words. A little kindness goes a long way in easing frustration. Remember the old catching more flies with honey adage?

Since you, by your own admission, have never attempted a quiz, how do you know how editors treat quiz writers? You are going simply on the basis of what a few disconcerted people have told you, without substantiated proof or any knowledge of how rude that person might have been to the editor first.
You would be surprised at how wound up some people get when you ask them to make changes to their quizzes, no matter how politely you ask. Some immediately go off on a tear about how their quiz is so much better than lots of quizzes they have played and they have no idea why we are picking on them. If you listen only to their side of the story, you have no grasp of the real dynamics of quiz editing.

Perception is such an interesting thing. I can send a Correction Note to one writer and be thanked for my thoroughness and what I have taught them about quiz writing. I can send almost the identical note to another quiz writer and get accused of being rude and picky and demanding too much.

BxBarracuda not every category at FunTrivia edits the same way. Some indeed do have an editor do an exclusive edit of the quizzes they start, while others do not. In Movies if an editor does what we refer to as a general edit, then the next time the quiz is submitted anyone else can pick it up. A general edit would be one in which we might tell you that questions requiring a numeric answer are not allowed, or explain to you the requirements for Interesting Information sections, for example. However once an editor begins a detailed edit of a quiz, then it is usually left for them to complete unless they are away on holidays, are ill or have otherwise requested that someone else take the quiz on.

Edited to add;
Even when it is assigned to a specific editor, it still has to go through the queue and that editor still has a number of other quizzes also assigned to them, as well as having to work with the new quizzes submitted.

Edited by skunkee (Thu Sep 11 2008 10:12 AM)

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

#106300 - Thu Sep 11 2008 10:15 AM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: skunkee]
BxBarracuda Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Bronx
New York USA     
That makes sense, Thanks

#106301 - Thu Sep 11 2008 04:24 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: BxBarracuda]
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
For Television (where I know you recently submitted a quiz), we try to let the first editor who saw your quiz continue editing it when it comes back in the queues. In my opinion, it's easier as you don't need to go through the entire quiz again generally and we all edit differently.

However, if something happened where an editor wanted to go out of town or wanted another editor's opinion, anyone can edit the quiz.

Editor for Television Category

#106302 - Thu Sep 11 2008 07:34 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: Willow_Willow]
darthrevan89 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Texas USA
Quote:

Too true, it seems, from the many posts I have read on the forums and chats over the past year. Another reason why I'm way too hot-headed to attempt to write a quiz here.

Willow_Willow, I don't know whose posts you have been reading but I'd like to share some positive experiences with quizmaking. I have seven quizzes online, placed by four different editors, and each time it's been a breeze. Everyone (on both sides, meaning editor & myself) has been very nice. My first quiz was placed online without a hitch by LeoDaVinci, from whom I received a very nice compliment about the quiz. The one time I received a correction notice (from Agony), I promptly fixed the problem and my quiz was submittedly in a timely manner.

So basically, I'd have to say that if you remember that the editors are only human and treat them as such, and especially if you do a decent job editing your own quiz before submitting, "hot-headedness" should not stop you from submitting a quiz. From my (albeit limited) experience, the FT editors are nice, helpful people. Thank you all for doing such a great job.

p.s. It might, however, be a nice improvement to see where your quizzes stand in the queue ...

Edited by darthrevan89 (Thu Sep 11 2008 07:36 PM)

#106303 - Thu Sep 11 2008 08:40 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: darthrevan89]
Leau Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Nijmegen/Brisbane
Quote:

p.s. It might, however, be a nice improvement to see where your quizzes stand in the queue ...

From a quizmaker's point of view, I can see how this would be nice. It's not as straightforward as it seems though, due to certain editors having certain specialties. Let me give you an example.

I edit in the World category, which houses the language quizzes. As I am the only native Dutch speaker among the editing staff, quizzes about the Dutch language are generally left for me to edit. So even if one of those quizzes would be at the top of the queue, other editors will look at other quizzes first and leave the Dutch one untouched. So then, if you knew your quiz was number one in the queue, it wouldn't mean anything, because other quizzes could be dealt with first, for reasons that you would be unaware of. And you can just imagine the notes we editors would receive if an author saw another quiz in the same category go online when their quiz was said to be number one in the queue!

Edited to fix rather embarrassing typo

Edited by Leau (Thu Sep 11 2008 09:51 PM)

#106304 - Thu Sep 11 2008 09:16 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: Leau]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
Other issues come into play, too. Most of the editors are working people with families. This means that we seldom get a good solid block of time in which to work here. Instead, we often grab 15 minutes here and 10 there. Say I only have five more minutes to do some editing, before I have to leave for work. I look in the queue, and see a quiz near the top that I have sent back once already, with many issues to be dealt with - the correction note I sent was 6 inches long. Halfway down the queue I see a quiz that also had been sent back by me, that was perfect except for one minor change. Which one do you think I'll grab?

Sometimes editors need to discuss a quiz - the subject is controversial, say, and the original editor wonders if it should be accepted. Or it's a difficult-to-categorize subject. It might take several days for everyone concerned to get a chance to weigh in.

We do try to follow a rough 'first come first served' system, but we can't promise to edit in strict order - too many other factors come into play.

#106305 - Fri Sep 12 2008 01:56 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: agony]
Quiz_Beagle Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Gloucestershire UK
I agree with darthrevan89 Dealing with editors and getting quizzes published is nearly always a great experience. I made mistakes in the early days and once there was a failure in communication (which was probably my fault) but 99.9% of the time I have had nothing but help and encouragement. Yay to editors is what I say!

#106306 - Mon Sep 15 2008 04:08 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: Quiz_Beagle]
jp1991 Offline
Explorer

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
Quick question. I have been marked as having quizzes that are not up to standards. Does that mean that when I submit a quiz it will go all the way to the back of the queue and other quiz-writer's quizzes that are submitted after that can be placed in front of it?

#106307 - Mon Sep 15 2008 05:46 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: jp1991]
jordandog Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Ohio USA         
jp,
Leau's response above, #1020630, covers that very clearly.

#106308 - Mon Sep 15 2008 06:03 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: jordandog]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
It is possible that repeated submission of substandard quizzes can result in longer delays.

#106309 - Thu Sep 25 2008 03:43 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: agony]
jp1991 Offline
Explorer

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
Quick question. If I create a second quiz while I still have a quiz in the ques, should I put "Please do not delete" in the title just in case it takes a while for the first quiz to go online?

#106310 - Thu Sep 25 2008 05:20 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: jp1991]
CellarDoor Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Seattle<br>  Washington USA...
"Please do not delete" in the title is insurance against a quiz being deleted after it has sat untouched for several months. If you're actively working on it (touching up a question here, filling in an info section there), there's no problem -- it won't be deleted. Although an individual quiz might take months to go online (depending on how extensive the corrections are and how thoroughly the quizmaker revises the quiz), it'll never spend months in the queue on a single go-round.

So the short answer is: no, it's not necessary, unless you're planning to leave the second quiz alone for a long time. But it doesn't hurt anything, either, so feel free to do it if it gives you more confidence that your quiz will be safe. (Just make sure that you change the title back at submission time!)

#106311 - Mon Sep 29 2008 10:28 AM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: agony]
Hermit007 Offline
Participant

Loc: Iron Bridge Ontario Canada   
Post deleted by Hermit007

#106312 - Thu Oct 02 2008 01:21 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: Hermit007]
funnytrivianna Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Ontario Canada
Hahahahahahaha! Hermit, that is funny! You lightened up an often times hot topic. Thanks! That was sweet!

#106313 - Sat Oct 04 2008 03:00 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: funnytrivianna]
Triviaballer Offline
Explorer

Loc: Florida USA       
So hypothetically, what should an author do if he/she submitted a quiz on the Azores three weeks ago that hasn't been edited or received any response and he/she has sent a nice message to an editor in the category about the quiz?

#106314 - Sat Oct 04 2008 03:10 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: Triviaballer]
spanishliz Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: Ontario Canada
Hypothetically, one should be patient, because the nice editor might have been away

#106315 - Sat Oct 04 2008 05:50 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: spanishliz]
watergirlcutie Offline
Learning the ropes...

Wow...authors can hypothetically be made to wait 3 weeks for a *response* b/c one editor is away? (Shakes head)

#106316 - Sun Oct 05 2008 07:03 AM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: watergirlcutie]
dg_dave Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: near Stafford, Virginia USA  
Quote:

Wow...authors can hypothetically be made to wait 3 weeks for a *response* b/c one editor is away? (Shakes head)

If the editor who has the most knowledge on a subject is away that long, then yes, it could take that long. The editing staff knows who is most knowledgeable on certain subjects, and said editor edits those type quizzes.

#106317 - Sun Oct 05 2008 01:27 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: dg_dave]
JuniorTheJaws Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: South Philadelphia PA USA    
Quote:

Quote:

If the editor who has the most knowledge on a subject is away that long, then yes, it could take that long. The editing staff knows who is most knowledgeable on certain subjects, and said editor edits those type quizzes.

Dave, I know you are trying to help, but you are not an editor on the staff, and by giving sometimes incorrect information, it only confuses the quiz authors.The editing staff respectfully ask that you allow us to respond to these types of questions.

The editing staff, in most cases will not let an author wait that long. However, with the notes that we do, another editor can step in to edit the quiz if necessary.

Edited by JuniorTheJaws (Sun Oct 05 2008 01:35 PM)

#106318 - Sun Oct 05 2008 03:42 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: JuniorTheJaws]
Rowena8482 Offline
Prolific

Loc: Hartlepool Durham England UK
Plus, the editors are all Volunteers, they do the editing because they WANT to, not because they get paid, or get anything at all out of it, other than headaches and the satisfaction of seeing the site successful - and hopefully a word of thanks every so often....
I did actually ask if sending a "thank you" was OK to an editor who has put one of my quizzes online as I was worried about adding to the sheer volume of messages they must get every day, and was reassured that it is always welcome for them to know their efforts are appreciated.
Frankly I don't know how they do it, when you look at how many quizzes go online, and how few "errors" make it past their eagle eyes it is just amazing.

Page 7 of 20 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 19 20 >

Moderator:  agony