Terms of Use

Page 13 of 19 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 18 19 >
Topic Options
#556981 - Mon Oct 11 2010 12:28 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: JanIQ]
kyleisalive Online   FT-cool
Forum Champion

Loc: Toronto, Canada, eh!
Originally Posted By: JanIQ
I'm not an editor, so I should give a little caveat: maybe I'm totally wrong. But sometimes editors feel the need to confer with each other, and then it might be the first editor is waiting on input from his/her colleagues.

This does happen.

#557002 - Mon Oct 11 2010 01:56 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: agony]
funnytrivianna Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Ontario Canada
Thank you agony! That is really great information. As a team leader I do get asked things sometimes and aren't quite sure how to reply. I don't like to make a guess, preferring to get a more clear picture from an editor, in this case.

A lot of the time quiz authors, especially new ones, feel so anxious and excited about their submission and it helps for them to know that the editors are doing the best they can to handle things.

I think you've done an awesome job of explaining some of the process that you editors do deal with.

I want to say thanks again for your feedback. It's valuable and interesting information that can be quite helpful when trying to explain how things are for editors. I do appreciate that you replied.

Hugsss
Giz

#557004 - Mon Oct 11 2010 01:59 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: kyleisalive]
funnytrivianna Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Ontario Canada
Makes total sense to me too, that the editors need some input from other editors before proceeding with the editing. It's a huge job to maintain the quality of the quizzes on line.

I can't say I don't get frustrated waiting, because I do and to hear things from any editor's point of view really helps to put things more into perspective.

Kudos to the fine editing jobs that our volunteer editors work hard to accomplish!

Hugsss
Giz

#557008 - Mon Oct 11 2010 02:38 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: funnytrivianna]
Forum Champion

Quote:
I can't say I don't get frustrated waiting, because I do and to hear things from any editor's point of view really helps to put things more into perspective.

When a quiz goes into the queue, any sense of patience is thrown out the window. Just ask the authors in the Lounge.

Some harbour addictions to chocolate.
Some start twitching.
Some ask for consolation.
Some hoard titles.

It's rough work, but someone has to do it. wink

#557014 - Mon Oct 11 2010 03:12 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: kyleisalive]
rossian Online   content
Prolific

Loc: Merseyside UK 
Only 'some' Kyle? I thought we all suffered from those afflictions (especially the chocolate).

#557023 - Mon Oct 11 2010 05:11 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: rossian]
Lones78 Offline
Prolific

Loc: Forrestfield Western Australia
Did somebody mention chocolate? grin

#557042 - Mon Oct 11 2010 07:23 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: Lones78]
Nightmare Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Texas USA
Quote:
I dreamt of spending a day riding a stallion. It was a nightmare.

Huh?

#557047 - Mon Oct 11 2010 08:01 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: Nightmare]
Forum Champion

Originally Posted By: Nightmare
Quote:
I dreamt of spending a day riding a stallion. It was a nightmare.

Huh?

Take the compliment. wink

#557066 - Tue Oct 12 2010 04:08 AM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: kyleisalive]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Briar Hill Victoria Australia 
Twitching is universal, even of some of us aren't chocaholics. There's nothing for it but to wait. It's not only new authors who check the queue lengths at regular intervals, and are dismayed to see them blowing out by a day each day! Writing quizzes gives you plenty of chances to practice 'patiently' - clasp your hands and recite after me "I will be patient. It hasn't been as long as it seems. I will be patient." Then try to believe it!

#557080 - Tue Oct 12 2010 09:41 AM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: looney_tunes]
skunkee Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Burlington Ontario Canada  
The best advice I can give, and I will repeat it even though it's been mentioned before, is to leave your quiz alone after it's been submitted.
Every time you make a change and hit that save button, you change the submission date to that time and start your wait time all over again. Editors will not know that you've been waiting several days if you keep going into the quiz and make changes.

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

#557101 - Tue Oct 12 2010 12:01 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: skunkee]
JanIQ Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Antwerp<br>Belgium
Nightmare, take a close look to my avatar and you'll understand what my signature is about.

#557127 - Tue Oct 12 2010 02:33 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: JanIQ]
salami_swami Offline

Loc: Colorado USA
I like the famous twitching chocolate who hoards consolation titles.

Editor: Video Games, Entertainment

#565359 - Fri Nov 12 2010 05:20 AM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: Linda1]
Jomarion Offline
Participant

Loc: Villeneuve Aveyron France    
I submitted a quiz on the 6th Nov. As far as I know ,there isn't any thing wrong with it but it is still in the queue. I have 11 quizzes on line and have never waited so long before to have a quiz accepted. - I wonder if someone could tell me what the hold-up is PLEASE. :-)

#565382 - Fri Nov 12 2010 08:04 AM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: Jomarion]
Forum Champion

The Religion category (where your quiz is housed) is being attended to regularly and you're on your way to the top of the queue- 6 days isn't an uncommon wait time and it should be taken care of within the next couple of days. smile

#565529 - Fri Nov 12 2010 01:23 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: kyleisalive]
CellarDoor Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Seattle<br>  Washington USA...
Hi Jomarion,

As luck would have it, your quiz just went online before I checked this forum! Religion has been backed up since I was out of town for work all last week; neither of us Religion editors has a whole lot of free time, so when one of us is absent for a while, it takes a long time for us to recover! We usually try to handle quizzes more quickly, but given that the editors are all volunteers and have busy lives, it is (as Kyle says) not uncommon to see wait times that are a bit longer.

This seems like a good time for a reminder: when you re-save a quiz that has been submitted, it sends the quiz to the back of the queue (even if you didn't make any changes -- hitting the "Save" button is all that's needed). Your quiz was submitted on November 6, but in the queue it looked like it had been submitted November 9, so it wound up sitting behind some quizzes that had been submitted later. Before I opened the quiz up to take a look, I had no way of knowing that its wait time was actually double what it appeared to be! If you realize you've made some major error, it's always best to fix it and re-save the quiz even if it's already in the queue, but if you're just checking on your work, remember to back out without hitting "Save" so that you don't inadvertently put it at a disadvantage.

#586754 - Fri Jan 14 2011 09:33 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: CellarDoor]
eauhomme Offline
Learning the ropes...

Loc: Lynnwood Washington USA       
How are things going in the "QuizMaker Tuneups" currently? I posted a quiz Christmas Eve and it has not gone online or had a correction notice yet. I have never had anywhere close to this long a wait before and I want to make sure there isn't anything I need to do.

#586761 - Fri Jan 14 2011 10:30 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: eauhomme]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
I see it tagged as Jan 4. Did you happen to save it sometime since?

#586767 - Sat Jan 15 2011 12:28 AM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: agony]
eauhomme Offline
Learning the ropes...

Loc: Lynnwood Washington USA       
I saved it 12/24, then noticed a typo when I took a look at it a couple weeks later (probably January 4). No saves before or since. Quite a change from the eight minutes it took one of my quizzes to go online.

#586770 - Sat Jan 15 2011 01:30 AM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: eauhomme]
Forum Champion

If I recall you had a specific editor tagged to your quiz, so the editing would rely on that editor's schedule.

#593448 - Tue Feb 08 2011 10:56 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: kyleisalive]
Rimrunner Offline
Participant

Loc: South Africa
I have just read - no, scratch that, - waded through all 11 pages of the same 5 questions and (mostly very patient) answers, just to make sure that what I want to know hasn't already been asked and answered. I trust SOMEONE will give me credit for that. Someone BETTER give me credit for that. Ugh! *scraping farmyard debris off boots*
(Sorry, I just had to get that off my chest!)

Wouldn't it be a good idea to just post a summary of the most common questions and answers somewhere in this forum? (Some of them are in the FAQs, but not covered in anything like the detail that this forum topic has supplied.)

Why I'm posting: Author prioritization and quiz categories
I copied this from the 'Rough Queue Sizes' page:
UPDATE: Our new editing system has been modified to give queue precedence to players who consistently submit well written quizzes and place to the END of the queue players who in the past have submitted poorly written/error filled quizzes. Please read the quiz guidelines and become familiar with our requirements before submitting quizzes. Players who consistently do NOT follow guidelines will find that their wait time after submission will slowly get longer, and longer, and l o n g e r . . .

My question is this:
Is the prioritizing approach described above category based (applied differently within each category, according to how the author has done only within that category), or does it apply across the board on FT?
(For example, I believe I'm fairly well thought of in the Religion category, but I'm not too sure of what the editors' opinion of me is in the Brain Teasers category: I've submitted one quiz in the latter which needed extensive revision!)
Or is it something in between - such as, for example, the case might be where an editor in one category, not sure what to make of a quiz author new to him/her, might well consult an editor in another category who, through experience, knows the author better?

Ok, over to the editors. When you have a spare moment, that is!

#593454 - Tue Feb 08 2011 11:17 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: Rimrunner]
Pagiedamon Offline

Loc: North Carolina USA
The prioritizing approach generally applies across the board. Don't look to quiz wait times, however, as the only indication of whether or not you're considered to have consistently submitted well-written quizzes. Some categories just get backed up for various reasons which have nothing at all to do with you personally. In other words, a longer wait time doesn't necessarily mean that your quiz was pushed to the end of the queue. smile

#593463 - Tue Feb 08 2011 11:43 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: Pagiedamon]
Rimrunner Offline
Participant

Thanks Paige!

#593948 - Thu Feb 10 2011 09:12 AM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: Rimrunner]
skunkee Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Burlington Ontario Canada  
Posting a list of the most commonly asked questions would be not only difficult to compile, but unbelievable difficult to wade through.
By consistently well-written questions, we look more at how well the quiz is written (free of spelling and grammatical errors) and whether it follows the requirements for the individual category.
You are much more likely to be viewed a poor writer, for example, if the only effort you put into your Interesting Information sections are to say things like, 'Yup, the answer is Elizabeth Taylor.' or 'It's one of my favourite movies.', than if you repeat a question.
To ensure originality, one of the best things to do is scan through the quizzes already online (or play them if you haven`t already) in the topic you wish to write in. That will give you an idea of what's already out there and you can avoid the questions that have been overdone!

Edited to correct a spelling mistake blush

Edited by skunkee (Thu Feb 10 2011 01:45 PM)

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

#594013 - Thu Feb 10 2011 01:05 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: skunkee]
Rimrunner Offline
Participant

Oh yeah, I know what you mean. No, I really do.

For example, I have to do a quiz on Jonah, so I just finished looking at (and making notes on what was asked) the four previous quizzes on the Biblical Jonah...

(Just had to smile - I only just learned to do that, and here you are telling me just that!) laugh

#646743 - Thu Aug 11 2011 08:29 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: JanIQ]
goofyfoot009 Offline
Explorer

Loc: Oregon USA
Where can one find out about quiz queues and other info about submitted quizzes?

Page 13 of 19 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 18 19 >

Moderator:  agony, gtho4