Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 14 of 19 < 1 2 ... 12 13 14 15 16 18 19 >
Topic Options
#646745 - Thu Aug 11 2011 08:45 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: goofyfoot009]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Briar Hill Victoria Australia 
On the Home Screen, click the link (upper right area of the screen) that says Create Quiz. this takes you to Author Central, wheere you will find all kinds of useful information. On the left screen scroll down and you will see a link for Rough queue sizes. Click on the other links on the left screen to explore all the other goodies available there.

I'm not sure what 'other information about submitted quizzes' you want. You can't see any details of what has been submitted by others. You can see the quizzes you have submitted, and those already online, by going to Me > My Quizzes:Edit. You cannot see whether or not an editor has looked at a submitted quiz. I would strongly recommend against openig your quiz once it has been submitted - if you have it open when an editor tries tolook at it, they will get a warning and go away. They may not have a chance to look at it again for quite a while.

#658472 - Tue Oct 04 2011 10:41 AM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: looney_tunes]
goofyfoot009 Offline
Explorer

Loc: Oregon USA
I guess the editor responsible for Medical has passed away...........My quiz on hearts and transplantation has been submitted for nigh on a month........I wonder how some folks can have several hundred quizzes to their credit, when it takes that long to OK an offering.....

#658491 - Tue Oct 04 2011 12:00 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: goofyfoot009]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

The editor in that category has been very busy in their personal life for a couple of weeks,but business should be back to normal soon.

#658685 - Wed Oct 05 2011 05:19 AM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: goofyfoot009]
shuehorn Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Lawrenceville Georgia USA     
Originally Posted By: goofyfoot009
I guess the editor responsible for Medical has passed away...........My quiz on hearts and transplantation has been submitted for nigh on a month........I wonder how some folks can have several hundred quizzes to their credit, when it takes that long to OK an offering.....

I see your quiz got online, goofyfoot. Though the queue times for that category are long, yours made it online within the stated time frame. It helps to remember that all of the editors here are volunteers who do this out of the goodness of their hearts. A little patience goes a long way.

#812999 - Sun Aug 05 2012 10:19 AM Show quiz queue number...
ShadowStar889 Offline
Participant

Loc: Oklahoma USA
Whenever you're waiting for a quiz to come in, why don't we have a counter that says: Your quiz is #XXXX in the current Sci/Tech queue? That way FunTrivia will get fewer complaints about quizzes not getting anywhere as people can actually see their quiz move through the line.

#813002 - Sun Aug 05 2012 11:43 AM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: ShadowStar889]
dg_dave Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Dallas, TX USA              
It may not be that number depending on several factors. An editor can give more insight, but the queue isn't exactly like that.

#813004 - Sun Aug 05 2012 11:53 AM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: dg_dave]
ShadowStar889 Offline
Participant

So how does the quiz queue work then, if not by order of submission?

#813008 - Sun Aug 05 2012 12:57 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: ShadowStar889]
shuehorn Offline
Multiloquent

A gap from October 2011 to August 2012 in this thread doesn't seem to indicate a very pressing need for such a counter. As has been explained in different threads, authors with a proven track record are often handled more quickly. Quizzes from authors who have require more input and corrections are sometimes put off a bit longer. This is why there is no particular counter. Every time an author looks at their quiz again and edits it, it gets pushed to the end of the queue. As dgdave said, the editors in each queue can give you further insight as to how each one is operating at any particular time.

Edited by shuehorn (Sun Aug 05 2012 03:50 PM)

#813010 - Sun Aug 05 2012 01:13 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: shuehorn]
ShadowStar889 Offline
Participant

Ok thanks and by the way, my topic was lumped into this one by a moderator. I just created this as a new topic today.

#813011 - Sun Aug 05 2012 01:18 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: ShadowStar889]
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
Shadowstar, it's a good idea in theory but in practice the queues don't work like that. The editors do try the first-come, first-served approach but we do skip items in the queue for several reasons, including:
- Having already edited a quiz and knowing that it will be a quick edit
- Leaving a quiz on an unfamiliar topic to an editor with more experience in the topic
- Leaving a quiz that, upon first glance, is going to require a lot of time to edit in order to get other quizzes out of the queue quickly (this is where it's better that you have created a well-written quiz, have read the guidelines, etc. before submitting)

In addition, quizzes are also submitted to the queue by a quality rating. Authors who require little or no editing have a quicker wait and those whose quizzes continually need a lot of effort editing-wise and/or have previously plagiarised will have to wait longer.

Editor for Television Category

#813037 - Sun Aug 05 2012 02:42 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: ladymacb29]
skunkee Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Burlington Ontario Canada  
To add to what LadyMacb29 has said, familiarity with the subject matter plays a large part. In Movies, for example, we prefer taking on quizzes about films we've already seen, although that isn't always possible. For movies that we know are going to generate a lot of quizzes, like the upcoming 'Twilight' conclusion for example, we may ask one editor to take on all quizzes about the film for consistency's sake.

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

#813075 - Sun Aug 05 2012 03:52 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: ShadowStar889]
shuehorn Offline
Multiloquent

Originally Posted By: ShadowStar889
Ok thanks and by the way, my topic was lumped into this one by a moderator. I just created this as a new topic today.

How strange. I've never heard of topics being lumped together. Sorry for the wrong assumption.

#813076 - Sun Aug 05 2012 04:03 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: shuehorn]
dg_dave Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Dallas, TX USA              
I've seen it a few times, but not often, and it does have to do with queues and waiting time, so that may be why.

#813087 - Sun Aug 05 2012 04:32 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: dg_dave]
ShadowStar889 Offline
Participant

Okay then, thanks to all for the feedback smile

#813088 - Sun Aug 05 2012 04:40 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: ShadowStar889]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
Originally Posted By: ladymacb29
Shadowstar, it's a good idea in theory but in practice the queues don't work like that. The editors do try the first-come, first-served approach but we do skip items in the queue for several reasons, including:
- Having already edited a quiz and knowing that it will be a quick edit
- Leaving a quiz on an unfamiliar topic to an editor with more experience in the topic
- Leaving a quiz that, upon first glance, is going to require a lot of time to edit in order to get other quizzes out of the queue quickly (this is where it's better that you have created a well-written quiz, have read the guidelines, etc. before submitting)

In addition, quizzes are also submitted to the queue by a quality rating. Authors who require little or no editing have a quicker wait and those whose quizzes continually need a lot of effort editing-wise and/or have previously plagiarised will have to wait longer.

Aren't there also quizzes that jump to the front of the line for quiz races and such? I also don't think I've ever heard of the 'quality rating' you mention in the last paragraph. Is there some way an author can find out this rating? Are Single Questions included into the rating calculation?

Edited by mehaul (Sun Aug 05 2012 04:46 PM)

#813089 - Sun Aug 05 2012 04:42 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: mehaul]
ShadowStar889 Offline
Participant

I didn't know about that. confused
But you ask about the "quality rating." From what I've read in some other posts, editors will skip over quizzes that will take a while, saving them for last. I don't think there is actually any official rating of submitters.

Edited by ShadowStar889 (Sun Aug 05 2012 04:56 PM)

#813095 - Sun Aug 05 2012 05:00 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: mehaul]
Lones78 Offline
Prolific

Loc: Forrestfield Western Australia
Mehaul, we have always been told for quiz races that our quizzes are in the queue just like everyone else's. They aren't hurried through - although an editor in that category may get a 'heads up' a couple of days beforehand and will clear their category queue in preparation for a bucket-load of quiz racers. This is the way it was explained to us in the Author Lounge when it was questioned a few months ago.

#813100 - Sun Aug 05 2012 05:12 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: Lones78]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

Originally Posted By: Lones78
Mehaul, we have always been told for quiz races that our quizzes are in the queue just like everyone else's. They aren't hurried through - although an editor in that category may get a 'heads up' a couple of days beforehand and will clear their category queue in preparation for a bucket-load of quiz racers. This is the way it was explained to us in the Author Lounge when it was questioned a few months ago.

Of course, many of the participants in the races are established authors familiar to the editors, who will expect them to be a fairly quick edit, and may take them ahead of quizzes from new writers, who often need a lot more time to help them understand what is required in writing a good quiz.

#813101 - Sun Aug 05 2012 05:33 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: looney_tunes]
kyleisalive Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Toronto, Canada, eh!
Quote:
Aren't there also quizzes that jump to the front of the line for quiz races and such?

No.

Quote:
I also don't think I've ever heard of the 'quality rating' you mention in the last paragraph. Is there some way an author can find out this rating?

How you're received in the queue should be apparent if your quizzes are being looked at quickly or if your quizzes have been plagiarized in the past. You're not going to take longer to get edited for no reason. If you're concerned as to why your quizzes keep taking longer and longer to get checked it may be a case of choosing busy categories or it may be a case of consistent issues. If you're making the same mistakes over and over and over despite editors asking you to be aware and make fixes accordingly, we'll know about it and your quiz will take longer to look at because we expect the same issues to keep cropping up. If you show the effort and work constructively to improve your submissions, then we'll give the same in return. In other words, there is no way to tell you a 'quality rating'; you should know your own submissions better than we do because you should be taking past corrections into account.

Note: These comments aren't aimed at any specific person.

Quote:
Are Single Questions included into the rating calculation?

Single questions and full quizzes are not submitted to the same queue, but authors are the same across the board. If you've plagiarized in one, we know about it. If you're banned from one, we know about it.

Edited to respond:
Quote:

Editors do get a heads up; for the race they knew weeks ahead to plan accordingly, especially towards the end when the tasks were issued so close together. Editors were recommended to work on them in the order they were submitted for the race but it was not required whatsoever. For those wondering, all categories did edit them in the order they were submitted.

Editors are aware of all active challenges in the Author's Lounge. Authors need to be aware that the status of 'Lounge Quiz' does not grant special privileges. You are still your own authors with your own quiz histories. If you've had issues in the past you still need to ensure they're dealt with. No exceptions.

Edited by kyleisalive (Sun Aug 05 2012 08:09 PM)

#813156 - Mon Aug 06 2012 06:22 AM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: ShadowStar889]
gtho4 Online   FT-blank

Administrator

Loc: Sydney oz downunder           
The queue is sorted by date submitted. It shows quiz title, author, and date submitted (if an author resaves a quiz while it's in the queue, the date stamp is updated and goes to the back of the queue). Editors can see the entire queue for a category on one page.

All editors in this place will usually edit by date-sequence, but there are exceptions - some examples of exceptions:
  • if there's a quiz about rugby league in the Sports queue, I will probably look at that
    one first (as it's a topic I am familiar with), before going to the top of the queue.
  • ditto a quiz on UK football.
  • if there's a quiz by an author who has built-up a favourable submission history, I will
    probably look at that one first; before going to the top of the queue.
The system tracks an author's submission/rejection/acceptance history, and every editor can view that history across all categories, not just the category in which they edit. For the record, the system also tracks/records abuse thrown at editors by authors, authors who comply with reject notes sent to authors, and authors who ignore reject notes etc.

a reminder for non-editors:

Please re-read the message in blue at the top of the this forum:
If you do not know the answer to a question, please leave it for an editor to reply.

Please do not post I believe it's such and such or I think it's such and such. That is mere speculation and is completely unhelpful for your fellow authors. In other words, don't answer a question posted in this forum unless you are 100% sure the answer is correct.

#813208 - Mon Aug 06 2012 08:56 AM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: gtho4]
agony Online   content

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
Another reason that a quiz might have a longer wait than simple "first in, first edited" is if it could possibly fit better in a different category, or if there is some other unusual aspect of it. Editors will discuss the quiz privately, and since we are all in different time zones, a discussion can easily take several days.

#951459 - Sun Nov 25 2012 06:04 AM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: agony]
zippolover Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Norfolk UK
I have a quiz "in the queue".

I clicked on the "edit" button a couple of days ago and the top line said that it was being edited by *****. I clicked again just now and there is nothing there.

As the quiz has already been seen by three editors, one of whom changed the category to the one that they chose five days ago, it does seem rather strange.

Note to self: Avoid November for writing quizzes in future.

#951460 - Sun Nov 25 2012 06:29 AM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: zippolover]
kyleisalive Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Toronto, Canada, eh!
Quote:
As the quiz has already been seen by three editors, one of whom changed the category to the one that they chose five days ago, it does seem rather strange.

Not particularly; there are many reasons as to why an editor could be in your quiz before you get a note of some sort. For instance, if they only have time to edit a portion of it and plan to come back.

Quote:
Note to self: Avoid November for writing quizzes in future.

The only category currently experiencing longer-than-usual waits is General, partly because of the popularity of AinA. This has nothing to do with Quiz-Writing Month (during which there seems to be an even spread around all categories). Once authors move on from the early rounds of the game and spread out over the different tasks, the wait in General will smooth out. In the meantime, the General eds. are doing what they can to make the wait as short as possible. smile

#951464 - Sun Nov 25 2012 06:53 AM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: kyleisalive]
zippolover Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Norfolk UK
I will go back to writing my next quiz in the meantime then frown

#951485 - Sun Nov 25 2012 10:20 AM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: zippolover]
agony Online   content

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
Sometimes an editor will enter a quiz just to see if it is one of theirs, if the name sounds familiar. This doesn't really qualify as having "seen" the quiz. Nor does changing categories - this is something that takes a couple of seconds and is the kind of housekeeping task that is akin to you bringing your empty coffee cup with you when you pass through the kitchen.

Page 14 of 19 < 1 2 ... 12 13 14 15 16 18 19 >

Moderator:  agony, gtho4