Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 9 of 19 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 18 19 >
Topic Options
#106344 - Wed Dec 31 2008 11:06 AM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: scalar]
skunkee Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Burlington Ontario Canada  
That glitch just might be the fact that editors are volunteers and the last 8 days have been over Christmas holidays.

Edited to add - we must have been posting at the same time Liz!

Edited by skunkee (Wed Dec 31 2008 11:07 AM)

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

#106345 - Wed Dec 31 2008 11:29 AM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: spanishliz]
Bruyere Online   content
Star Poster

Loc: California USA
Hello neighbor up there in Mendocino County!
Indeed, it's the holidays that have slowed us down a bit.

As to the former quick turnaround though, it is probably because your quiz did not require a lot of editing and while looking through the queue, an editor said 'oh, let's have a quick look' and released it if it looked like it was ready.

Although I do go on a first come first serve basis in principal when I edit, if the quiz on the top of the list requires a major overhaul or more than a few corrections, I'll try to quickly scan the list for quizzes that are ready to free up the time for the ones that require more work for one reason or another.

So if you've got a good reputation for submitting work that doesn't require much attention, you stand to pass through more easily.

Right now however, it's the holidays playing havoc with my attention! And I've been working throughout at my 'day job'.

Heather aka Bruyere

#106346 - Wed Dec 31 2008 12:11 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: Bruyere]
Pagiedamon Offline

Loc: North Carolina USA
All of you editors do an amazing job! I hope you enjoyed your holidays!

#106347 - Wed Dec 31 2008 01:32 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: Bruyere]
scalar Offline
Participant

Thanks for the replies. I was just feeling like my most recent quiz had fallen in a black hole.
I think I did get a good reputation for "quizzes ready to go" and maybe a year off affected that.
I would like to point out the the "Edit" page for each quiz (non-archived) says "Save often." What it doesn't say, but Spanish Liz does, it that clicking on that button puts that quiz back at the end of the line. I guess it only takes once to learn that lesson!

#106348 - Wed Dec 31 2008 02:20 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: scalar]
SilverMoonsong Offline

Loc: Morrisville North Carolina USA
Saving often is very important, however, it won't affect your submit date until you've submitted the quiz to the editors. Once you submit it for approval, if you make any changes at all it will make that the new save/submit date and bump it down the queue.

Do all your editing and changing and saving before submitting to the editors, then wait until you get a response back.

#106349 - Wed Dec 31 2008 06:03 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: SilverMoonsong]
jordandog Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Sandusky Ohio USA         
scalar,
Considering the fact I have played 23 of your quizzes and really enjoyed them, would it make you feel a little better to know I can't wait for the next one?!

#106350 - Fri Jan 02 2009 04:07 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: jordandog]
scalar Offline
Participant

Well, it's up and running. Thanks Bruyere!
Happy New Year, all.

#106351 - Wed Jan 07 2009 05:47 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: scalar]
guitargoddess Offline

Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada         
Just curious about something, regarding queue length:

When the message comes up that says there are currently too many submissions in this category, try again soon or choose a different topic, does the number that it gives refer to crosswords only if you get that message in the create a crossword section?

For example, I recently got this message when trying to create a Television crossword. It said that there were currently 87 (or somewhere around there) submissions in that category. Does that mean 87 total crosswords, or 87 crosswords and quizzes in the TV category? It seemed like a really high number for just crossword submissions...

#106352 - Wed Jan 07 2009 06:32 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: funnybuni]
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
There currently aren't any TV crosswords submitted.

Editor for Television Category

#106353 - Wed Jan 07 2009 07:08 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: ladymacb29]
guitargoddess Offline

Oh.. I guess that means that there a lot of TV quizzes submitted then, because the system wouldn't allow me to create a crossword in the Television category.

#106354 - Thu Jan 08 2009 03:55 AM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: guitargoddess]
SilverMoonsong Offline

Loc: Morrisville North Carolina USA
gg,

That was a bug which Terry says has now been fixed. Try again.

SM

#106355 - Thu Jan 08 2009 03:46 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: SilverMoonsong]
clarod Offline
Learning the ropes...

Loc: Essex UK
hope this works. im new here.

i have submitted a quiz on the 19th dec, and have had nothing at all from the editors. i did edit it once around the same time, but i have had no anowledgement of receipt of the quiz.
this is showing on the edit quiz tab
"Dec 19 08 [12:37 PM] : clarod : Quiz Submitted for Editor Review! (quiz never played before)

i have one note for this quiz telling me i couldnt submit until my other quiz was online. this is now online.

also wondering, i have six quizzes waiting to be online, but cannot submit more than 1 at a time, so am getting slightly annoyed.

Edited to change topic title back to original

Edited by sue943 (Thu Jan 08 2009 03:50 PM)

#106356 - Thu Jan 08 2009 03:59 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: clarod]
Leau Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Nijmegen/Brisbane
Hi Clare, welcome to the forums.

If your quiz shows that it has been submitted, as you quoted in your post, it means it is in the queue. The system isn't set up to acknowledge the receipt of quizzes in any other way than through that little note. And there are simply too many quizzes submitted every day for the editors to manually send out receipts. Rest assured though that your quiz is in the queue waiting to be seen by an editor.

You might not have realised that all editors here at Funtrivia are volunteers, which means that, especially when there are holidays, their real lives take precedence over their editing tasks. Many of the editors have been away over Christmas. Also, because of the summer holidays in the southern hemisphere and the Christmas holidays in the northern hemisphere there have been many more quiz submissions than usual. This also leads to a longer wait.

While you're waiting for your music quiz to get reviewed by an editor, why not go over the other quizzes you have lined up to double check that they're error-free? That way they'll be extra ready by the time your music quiz gets online.

Leau, editor

Edited by Leau (Thu Jan 08 2009 04:00 PM)

#106357 - Thu Jan 08 2009 04:31 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: Leau]
Nightmare Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Texas USA
Great suggestion by Leau too! I took at peek at your quiz, and it shows that it was submitted 31Dec, not the 19th. This may be the typical issue because an author goes into their quiz while being submitted, and makes one little tiny change. When the author saves their "new change", the system recognizes it as a new quiz submitted, thus bumping the quiz to the bottom of the list. One way to alleviate this is to make absolutely sure that a quiz is ready for submission, with no second-guessing, then let the editors have it. Be patient and let the editors work with you.

Also, and as Leau mentioned, while you're waiting for a quiz in submission, you can go through your others to be sure you won't second-guess yourself after you submit those. Good luck with your quizzes. :-)

--Nightmare, Sports Editor

#106358 - Thu Jan 08 2009 07:23 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: SilverMoonsong]
guitargoddess Offline

Quote:

gg,

That was a bug which Terry says has now been fixed. Try again.

SM

Thanks, works now!

#106359 - Tue Jan 27 2009 08:57 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: spanishliz]
funnytrivianna Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Ontario Canada
I just wanted to say thanks to the editors for their hard work and for putting up with so many "sad" mistakes I've made when constructing quizzes. Because of errors and such, I do have to wait longer for my quizzes to be looked at, before they eventually go on line. My own understanding is that, when an author makes repeated errors then that author's quizzes take longer to be looked at.

My question is, how long does the "waiting longer" period of time last? I know that my quizzes take a lower priority, due to errors in the past, but how many error free quizzes do I need to submit so that my waiting time returns to a more normal length of time?

I did submit a quiz to Hobbies, on January 8th. I have heard no feedback from the editor on this one.

Thanks, in advance, if you can answer my question.

#106360 - Wed Jan 28 2009 01:39 AM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: funnytrivianna]
Leau Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Nijmegen/Brisbane
Your quiz shows up in the queue with a date stamp of 26 January. I can see in the quiz log that you did submit it on the 8th though. Every time you go into the edit screen of your quiz and re-save it while it's in the queue, it gets a new date stamp and drops to the bottom of the queue. This also happens when an editor changes the category of your quiz or makes any other changes and then saves the quiz.

#106361 - Wed Jan 28 2009 06:06 AM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: Leau]
funnytrivianna Offline
Forum Adept

Quote:

Your quiz shows up in the queue with a date stamp of 26 January. I can see in the quiz log that you did submit it on the 8th though. Every time you go into the edit screen of your quiz and re-save it while it's in the queue, it gets a new date stamp and drops to the bottom of the queue. This also happens when an editor changes the category of your quiz or makes any other changes and then saves the quiz.

I have not re-saved this quiz at all. I go check the status, but do not touch anything, especially not buttons of saving, etc, because I do know about that. I have been simply waiting since January 8th. Is it possible that if I click edit to go check the status, that this is having an effect on the quiz as well? I have gone and edited a different quiz, does that have an effect on all quizzes?]

Now I am leery of going back to check again, in case just looking sends the quiz back to the back of the queue. I assure you, I have not clicked on anything at all. Could there be a different problem happening?

#106362 - Wed Jan 28 2009 10:06 AM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: funnytrivianna]
kyleisalive Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Toronto, Canada, eh!
As far as I know, you can go back and look at the quiz template. The queue timer only resets if you hit 'save'.

#106363 - Wed Jan 28 2009 11:53 AM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: kyleisalive]
funnytrivianna Offline
Forum Adept

Thanks, Kyle. Then I do not understand how a date stamp of Jan. 26 is attached to this quiz, when I have not done anything, or clicked the save button for this quiz. I guess I just keep waiting then!

#106364 - Wed Jan 28 2009 11:55 AM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: funnytrivianna]
funnytrivianna Offline
Forum Adept

I dared to go and look, taking the risk, and there is no date stamp on this quiz, after January 8, that is visible to me. I do not understand what is being said about a January 26 date stamp then.

Somebody please explain this. Thanks!

#106365 - Wed Jan 28 2009 12:02 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: Leau]
funnytrivianna Offline
Forum Adept

Quote:

This also happens when an editor changes the category of your quiz or makes any other changes and then saves the quiz.

Does this mean that an editor can look at a quiz, see who the creator is, decide that they just don't want to check that particular quiz yet, because they assume, from past quizzes, that this creator probably has a lot of errors again, so THEY date stamp it and send it to the end of the queue line? The creator never knows this is happening, because it does not show in our log, when we go to see if anything is happening with the quiz?

I do hope I am wrong about thinking like this, but I am wanting to know why my quiz has a date stamp of Jan. 26, when I have not done this and it does not show in my quiz log.

#106366 - Wed Jan 28 2009 12:02 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: funnytrivianna]
CellarDoor Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Seattle<br>  Washington USA...
The January 26 date stamp probably wouldn't be visible to you. The quizzes in the queue (which is only visible to editors) are roughly sorted by the date on which the last change was made, which is displayed (to editors) as part of the quiz information. That's the date Leau mentioned.

#106367 - Wed Jan 28 2009 12:09 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: CellarDoor]
CellarDoor Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Seattle<br>  Washington USA...
Quote:

Does this mean that an editor can look at a quiz, see who the creator is, decide that they just don't want to check that particular quiz yet, because they assume, from past quizzes, that this creator probably has a lot of errors again, so THEY date stamp it and send it to the end of the queue line? The creator never knows this is happening, because it does not show in our log, when we go to see if anything is happening with the quiz?

I'd be extremely surprised if that happened, ever. For one thing, an editor doesn't need to open a quiz to see who created it -- we can see that information without opening the quiz. Editors will often change their minds about editing a quiz after taking a quick look (maybe they need another editor's expert opinion, or that particular quiz takes more time than they have available at the moment) but it makes no sense to go through and maliciously save the quiz again; it's much easier to close the window or back out.

There's also no point in sending a quiz to the back of the queue for punishment. When a QM is having problems (as shown by the appearance of the green screen), the delay in having a quiz looked it is automatic -- the editors aren't involved with it at all. Sending a quiz to the back of the queue again doesn't accomplish anything; the eds will still have to look at it at some point!

We may be volunteers but we do try to do our job in a professional way.

It's worth noting that the save button can sometimes be clicked accidentally, by hitting the ENTER key at the wrong point.

CellarDoor
Editor -- Music, Humanities, Religion

#106368 - Wed Jan 28 2009 12:47 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time [Re: CellarDoor]
funnytrivianna Offline
Forum Adept

I am not making accusations or implying malicious intent has taken place at all. My apologies if it was taken as such.

I am wanting to know why this quiz has a date stamp of January 26th, when I have not touched it to make a change since I submitted it on January 8th. I have clicked the edit button, to go and see if there were any notes after the submission date, and upon seeing none, have left that page without ever clicking save, submit or anything.

If an editor time stamps the quiz, for some reason, shouldn't the creator be informed, somehow, as to when and why?

If things are that sensitive, that the quiz can be sent back to the end of the queue if you "It's worth noting that the save button can sometimes be clicked accidentally, by hitting the ENTER key at the wrong point." do this, then shouldn't that be fixed? I really don't think this is what has happened, in this case, but wonder who it has happened to. If this is happening, it needs to be fixed, I would think.

Anyway, I am off working on another interesting quiz, with a lot of research to be had. Thanks for your input.

Page 9 of 19 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 18 19 >

Moderator:  agony, gtho4