Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 ... 18 19 >
Topic Options
#106144 - Sat Aug 24 2002 07:03 PM Quiz Queues .. waiting time
TonyTheDad Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Upper Marlboro Maryland USA
How come one of my quizzes has been in "will be online soon" limbo for a week? Two other quizzes of mine have been put online since I posted it.

[Editing to make the title stand out more for our members who are waiting for a quiz to be put online.]
[ May 29, 2002, 03:47 PM: Message edited by: Linda1 ]

Edited by gtho4 (Mon Aug 11 2003 10:47 PM)

#106145 - Wed Jun 07 2000 12:09 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time
Linda1 Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Munchkinland
TonyTheDad, simply because you're dealing with human beings who cannot be on call 24 hours a day to review/approve quizzes. Please be patient with our editors - they are doing a wonderful job at getting the quizzes online as soon as possible. But, they do have lives outside of Quizzyland.

I know people are anxious to get their quizzes up and running. But, the process is not always as quick as we'd like. There is a certain procedure that all quizzes go through. And, if an editor happens to be sick or have pressing outside committments or something, they may not be able to review quizzes as quickly as we think they "should."

Some of the categories are HUGE, and I have to commend each of our editors for doing a bang-up job at getting them done as quickly as they do.

So, if a quiz is not approved as quickly as you'd like, just be a bit patient. It's not been forgotten. It will get done.

#106146 - Wed Jun 07 2000 12:27 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time
TonyTheDad Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Upper Marlboro Maryland USA
Thank you for your response.

I didn't mean to sound impatient. It's just fun to created quizzes; I'm anxious to see how they're received.

#106147 - Wed Jun 07 2000 12:40 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time
Linda1 Offline
Star Poster

I know it's fun to create quizzes and see how people like them!

Here's a hint, though, for anyone who is waiting for a quiz to be approved. If the editors do not have to correct spelling, grammar, factual, etc errors in your quiz before approving it, it may get online sooner! When they are forced to muddle through a quiz, it takes them longer. ALSO, by having a quiz that's done correctly, you establish a reputation for yourself as being a good quiz creator. Future quizzes by you will be noticed and approved more quickly, just because we know that yours is going to be easy to do. I know that, when I've edited quizzes in the past, the ones that I recognize as being people who have good spelling and grammar will always be the ones that I choose first to approve. It's that simple!

So, word to the wise! Check, double-check, and triple-check your quiz for errors. And, after you do that, have another person proofread it for you. Only then should you submit the quiz. You might be surprised at how this helps get your quizzes online more quickly!

#106148 - Thu Jun 08 2000 04:14 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time
crisw Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Jamul
California USA
Amen to what Linda said! There are certain names that I smile when I see in my queue because I know that they'll turn in a well-written, unique, fun quiz. Others make me cringe because I know I am going to be dealing with grammar, spelling, punctuation and factual issues. In addition, some people write quizzes that sparkle, while others predictably turn in quizzes that I'll approve (because they have no obvious errors), but they are just run-of-the-mill, nothing-special, pretty boring stuff.

I tend to be a more patient editor that many, especially if I figure that the writer is a kid. Actually, that is probably a great way to impress me- if you are a high-school or younger kid, see if you can turn in quizzes that wouldn't be recognizable as the work of a student! I hate to stereotype, but most of the really error-riddled quizzes I get are turned in by students.

------------------
Cris Waller
CrisW@ix.netcom.com

[This message has been edited by crisw (edited 06-08-2000).]

#106149 - Mon Jun 12 2000 09:21 AM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time
Brainz Offline
Learning the ropes...

Loc: Rogersville Tennessee USA
I have a quiz that I've been waiting to come online for a little over three weeks so I must have had a lot of grammical errors!

------------------
None will hear if none will tell them.

#106150 - Mon Jun 12 2000 09:59 AM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time
Linda1 Offline
Star Poster

Maybe even some grammatical ones, too! (Joshing with ya!)

#106151 - Mon Jun 12 2000 11:43 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time
crisw Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Jamul
California USA
Brainz-

What category is your quiz in?

BTW, a quiz won't sit in limbo for three weeks because of grammatical errors. It will either be corrected by the editor or returned to the author. Right now, the editing is slow in a few categories.

------------------
Cris Waller
CrisW@ix.netcom.com

#106152 - Tue Jul 11 2000 10:29 AM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time
Linda1 Offline
Star Poster

Moving this up.

#106153 - Fri Aug 04 2000 02:23 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time
Linda1 Offline
Star Poster

Moving this thread up again for IcyWolf (and anyone else who's waiting for a quiz to go online.)

#106154 - Fri Aug 04 2000 05:39 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time
Kooz Offline
Explorer

Loc: San Jose California USA  

------------------
Wolves agree the chicken came first but only after the egg

#106155 - Mon Aug 14 2000 04:56 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time
Linda1 Offline
Star Poster

Sending the thread up to the top again.

(This might be one we need to send back up on a more regular basis, as we get a lot of questions about when quizzes will be put online.)

#106156 - Mon Sep 11 2000 12:22 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time
Linda1 Offline
Star Poster

Someone just asked me about this, so I thought I'd move it back up to the top for ease. Here it is!

#106157 - Sun Sep 17 2000 02:30 AM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time
Ruma Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Alexandria Egypt      
Linda,

I've often wondered, how do you choose an editor for a category? And how many per category? How on earth do they verify their answers to all the ziilions of sometimes obscure topics? How many hours do they have to spend online everyday? Do they ever take a holiday? Do they apply for the job?
Just curious! :-)

More so, cos I really admire all the work done.Ditto the doers.

Cheers!;-)

#106158 - Sun Sep 17 2000 05:18 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
Since I'm one of the newer editors, I thought I would answer your question!

Editors are chosen because they have created a lot of consistenly good quizzes, have good English skills, and have done well on the 'Quizzyland tune-ups' quizzes.

How many per category depends on how active that category is. A category like records needs only one person, and that person is also an editor of other categories.

We don't verify the answers. Editors mainly look at how well the quiz is constructed and if the content is something new/original. If there is a wrong answer in a quiz, the players let us know by correction notices (you can send in a compliment/suggestion or correction about a quiz once you have played it). The editors can see the corrections and can fix the quizzes there or send a message to the author and have them fix it.

How many hours depends on two things: how active the category is and how many editors there are. Normally, I spend no more than an hour a day on the television and entertainment categories because I hare those categories with other people so it cuts down on the work!

If one of us will be away, the category gets looked after by the other editors.

Some people 'apply' for the job when they see that Terry is looking for another editor in the Quizzyland forum and other people are asked to join based on the quizzes they have created.

------------------
"Never have so many suffered so much so so few could
be so happy." -Major Frank Burns

Editor for Television Category

#106159 - Thu Sep 28 2000 03:14 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time
Linda1 Offline
Star Poster

Moving this up for "macquiz." Also take a look at Terry's thread, "Tips for Quiz Creation."

Here's Terry's thread-click here to go to it

[ link updated ]

Edited by gtho4 (Sun Dec 03 2006 08:22 PM)

#106160 - Mon Jun 25 2001 03:02 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time
Linda1 Offline
Star Poster

Moving this up to the top for people who have quizzes waiting to go online. It's a helpful thread that I think we need to bring up to the top more often!

Be sure to see Terry's thread in the link mentioned above, as well.

#106161 - Tue Mar 12 2002 11:29 AM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time
Linda1 Offline
Star Poster

Bringing this up - we've had some questions lately, and this thread hasn't been up at the top for a while!

#106162 - Thu Mar 21 2002 01:15 AM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time
Wallos Offline
Learning the ropes...

Loc: Nowra NSW Australia   
Terry has some valid points and his explanation of the reasons behind delays experienced is well expressed. However, as with some others I have had a quiz in the music section now for over 10 days 'waiting to go online'. It is quite frustrating especially when I have other quizzes ready to go online and I was recently told the backlog was being rectified. Is there a need for more editors?

#106163 - Thu Mar 21 2002 01:23 AM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time
CellarDoor Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Seattle
  Washington USA   
If I (as a Music editor) may ...

First of all, our apologies for the length of the queue. We're working on it. We actually do have a good number of editors in there - the problem is that this particular time of year happens to be very busy for all of us. Some of us (including me) are either on spring break or doing all the work leading up to spring break. Some of us (again including me) are ill. Others are changing jobs, going back and forth between conferences, etc. So it should quiet down soon, when our lives do. [Smile]

We can blame Spring Break for something else too - there are always a lot more quizzes submitted when students are on vacation from school anywhere in the world, but especially in the Northern Hemisphere. So we've got many more quizzes than usual submitted just now; we'll also be very busy in the summer.

We're trying to work through the quizzes based on who's been waiting the longest, though, so we should get to yours soon - I think our backlog is currently about 11 days. I'd do it now, but I need to get some sleep. [Smile]

#106164 - Thu Mar 21 2002 02:17 AM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

Loc: California
Here's another Music Editor chiming in, my esteemed co-editor Cellar Door is right, the fluctuation in the music dept is rather like the tides, school holidays tend to bring in more quizzes and unfortunately, music is one of the categories to which there are more submissions that require extra special TLC as many people are younger and still in school. As we wish to give everyone an equal chance to get online, we try to handle this with the utmost care. This is one of the categories to which people feel most comfortable submitting a very first quiz and they often have a passion for their particular artist.
Also, just imagine that many people who submit quizzes will simply say, "lyrics" or something for a title, little thinking that we have 20 with the same name in line, and 20 online with slight variations.
We have also found that in music, as many younger people are passionate about their subject, we receive many quizzes that are too time dependent on current stars and it takes time to explain why we are reluctant to accept these quizzes on the stars' personal lives etc.
So this is the major reason the turnaround is longer in music, it's the nature of the game in music.
If you compare it to literature, where by the very nature of the category you have people willing to take a bit more time on their quizzes or who are used to writing more often, you normally do not have to spend quite as much time.
(Barring the Tolkien book quizzes as a result of the film!)

#106165 - Thu Mar 21 2002 05:21 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time
Linda1 Offline
Star Poster

quote:
We can blame Spring Break for something else too - there are always a lot more quizzes submitted when students are on vacation from school anywhere in the world, but especially in the Northern Hemisphere.
YES! Please, please, please everyone! Realize this fact and be patient during the busy times of the year! Whenever school's out for some reason, the quizmaking goes WILD! [Big Grin]

#106166 - Fri Mar 22 2002 10:47 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
If you want your quiz online faster, while you're waiting for your quiz to be looked at (preferrably you should do this BEFORE You click 'ready to go online', but better late than never) - go to the main pageof the category that you submitted your quiz to. Click on 'Quiz Creation Notes" - this is where you find category-specific informaiton about how your quiz should be forumulated. For example, in Music you MUST put titles of songs, lyrics and albums in quotations. I just took a quick look at the Music queue and about HALF of the quizzes do NOT do this. Also, I rejected about 10 just because they had major spelling problems in the introduction of the quiz! This is why it takes so long to get your quiz looked at. If everyone would do their part and make sure all the 'big things' are taken care of, we can put quizzes online faster because we don't have to reject them and re-check them when they're resubmitted.

Editor for Television Category

#106167 - Mon May 13 2002 02:52 AM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time
Linda1 Offline
Star Poster

Up again.

#106168 - Wed May 29 2002 01:38 PM Re: Quiz Queues .. waiting time
Linda1 Offline
Star Poster

Up for DangerMouse (and anyone else who has a quiz waiting to go online).

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 ... 18 19 >

Moderator:  agony, gtho4