Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#1068319 - Thu Oct 09 2014 07:28 PM Interview with CAGuy0206
Pagiedamon Offline

Loc: North Carolina USA
Pagiedamon
Please tell us a little about yourself and your family.

I come from a very extended family on my mother's side. My great grandmother had 20 children, 8 of whom were twins (hence it's not shocking I ended up an identical twin myself). How she managed to put up with a rigorous condition like pregnancy time and again, I have no idea. We sadly don't have any transcripts back then where she uttered "being pregnant is a walk in the park" or, if detesting it, "I'd rather be guillotined than burp out another taco!" (sorry if this visual's weird). Odds are, given how boring her upbringing was, the only excitement was maximizing off the menstrual cycle (plus, during her time, it was common for women to have numerous children).

My grandmother on my mom's side (to describe that grandma, think of the mom from "Carrie" but take away the religious zealotry. Then combine her with Nurse Ratched) had six kids: four girls, two boys. The fourth one in line so happens to be my mother, who is both the craziest and most awesome person I know. Funny story about one of my mother's relatives: he literally died with his derriere in the air.

Most my relatives on my father's side I don't talk to since they're either A) Twits or B) Psychotic.

Then with my family, there are three total kids: one identical twin and a brother who is 10.5 years older. In fact, some of my classmates for the longest time thought I only had one sibling, as the older guy graduated high school far before us.

As for me, I have many passions like law (I'm pursuing a legal career), politics, music, movies, traveling, comedy.

Pagiedamon
What is your real-life occupation?

Right now I just got hired as a Records Clerk for a major law firm. My ambition is to become a paralegal (I obtained my certificate last June).

golfmom08
A personal question: how old are you? And how old do you feel? wink

My birth date is June 1983. I'll let you calculate it. wink My mental age depends usually with phone calls. If I receive correspondence from a friend or lovely relative (like my FL cousins), I feel quite young. If it's a phone call with Comcast or an insurance representative, I'd feel like I'm at a senior citizen's home soiling a diaper every hour!

Pagiedamon
Are you a native Californian or a transplant? What do you like and dislike about living in California?

Native. I was born in Concord, CA (same hospital as famed thespian Tom Hanks) and currently reside in Martinez, CA (per my profile).

Like most: It's highly multicultural and very entertaining. There's always excitement around the corners. People tend to be friendly, laid back and eclectic.

Dislike most: Traffic! It's a nightmare at various hours and really increases stress levels. Other aspects I dislike: the Los Angeles Dodgers and Oakland A's, high cost of living (while the Bay Area is not as expensive as some allude to, it's still fairly exorbitant), extreme heat during Summer and that my evil Sister in Law resides here (oh as well as pukes like Paris Hilton, Kim Kardashian, etc.).

golfmom08
I know you've done some traveling with your family. What was your favorite place to go?

Without a doubt, London and Paris. This was in August/1999 and an absolute blast. Lots of tourist sites, amiable people (including the French. I have no qualms dispelling the "French are rude" stereotype...they were outstandingly cordial with us) and a joyful experience. You gain a neat perspective from international tourism, especially locales as storied as those aforementioned destinations.

Favorite London attraction: Madame Tussaud's.
Favorite Paris attraction: Eiffel Tower (seeing it up close and in person is akin to a soothing bubble bath).

TAKROM
Bucket list question: If you had the funds and could travel safely, what three places on this planet do you hope to visit in person and why?

Traveling safely...that can be a challenge for me with that darn metal detector always ringing off for some inexplicable reason!

1. Rome. Everyone I know who has been there raves about its exquisite beauty, rich culture and overall ambiance.

2. Athens. I'm passionate about learning philosophy so visiting that ancient city where some of our earliest thinkers generated their worldly contributions seems like an ambitious pursuit.

3. Boston. Given its history as a bedrock of civil justice, it upholds scintillating virtues and renowned venues where daring events transpired.

golfmom08
How or why did you get interested in writing quizzes about TV shows?

I enjoy trivia so it came naturally for me to provide questions on various categories. It's a unique process where one offers nuanced inquiries about the nooks/crannies of a program. As I enjoyed drafting quizzes early on, it just became a consistent hobby in finding as many themes possible to explore, be it TV family relationships, storylines connecting to history, analyzing character depth, etc. It's a nice investment to see how many puzzlers you can launch...it both challenges your creativity and memory.

TAKROM
As a quiz writer, you often embrace television series. What 'criteria' does a show have to meet to inspire you to start the quiz writing process?

1. Have a quality script. If you lack a reasoned dialogue or fresh approach, there's no purpose investing in a derivative entertainment product.

2. Make characters multilayered and diverse. One note cardboard cut outs and too many similar people infusing a landscape becomes tedious. Have different types of roles (i.e. a jock, nerd, erudite, sophisticated villain, naive but relatable hero/heroine, empowered women, etc).

3. Never underestimate an audience. If you implement predictable twists, have treasured favorites behave out of character or rely upon tawdry plot driven crud, your show ain't worth the page it's printed upon.

golfmom08
It seems like you have two or three quizzes a day go online sometimes and then none for awhile. Do you have to be in a certain state of mind to write?

The quiz uploads depend upon an editor's availability. I actually have some written from over a year ago that are still on my MS Word! Sometimes I'll go binge writing and get at least five quizzes in a day, then stop for a while. If another series catches my eye, I'll get the DVDs for each season and commence quizzes on that one.

Usually any state of mind pumps out those writing juices, unless I'm inebriated (that happens as rarely as Nicki Minaj belting out a credible hit) or asleep (a common response to watching Honey Boo Boo).

ladymacb29
How do you do so many quizzes on specific episodes? Do you sit at your TV with a pad of paper to make notes?

It's easy to boost the numbers through episodic quizzes. As for writing them, yes I'd put on a DVD and just type them up. Usually I get in a couple during the first ten minutes, lie down, then after 20 minutes finish off the quiz. It's important to ask questions for an entire show, not the immediate minutes coloring an episode.

ladymacb29
With the number of quizzes you have, do you do anything besides write quizzes? smile

Yes, one CAN have a social life aside from being a prolific quiz writer! wink My usual hobbies are exercise, music, attending the cinema, travel, food, sleep, Dodgers bashing, etc.

TAKROM
We met on FunTrivia through our mutual fondness of the soap opera "All My Children"--you wrote great quizzes about the show that I loved taking. Together we watched the demise, short resurrection and eventual final passing of a well-loved soap. Do you think the soap opera still has its place in our culture?

Absolutely. "All My Children" left an indelible mark on the TV landscape. It's a well revered serial that combined realistic approaches in storytelling to understanding the world around them (i.e. simultaneously fleshing out arcs through recent current events, be it Erica's abortion just following the Roe V. Wade decision or a story about racism mere months after Rodney King's traumatic ordeal). It's possessing that notable name of Erica Kane/Susan Lucci (the lone household name soap character/actress) also renders it a timeless, unforgettable show. AMC's tradition of risk taking, engaging storytelling proffers as a useful model for other TV executives to emulate.

golfmom08 and ladymacb29
You seem to like a wide variety of TV shows. What is your favorite show, either now or in the past?

Overall it has to be "All My Children". I followed the trials and tribulations of those residents for just over 20 years. Right now, my favorite is "Castle". I also just watched "Breaking Bad" over the Summer (that will be the next show I quiz on after I complete "Party of Five").

Gamemaster1967
Do you use any social networking sites like Facebook, Myspace, or Twitter? If you do use Twitter, do you follow any celebs?

I only use Facebook (my MySpace account remains inactive). There are no immediate plans to join Twitter.

Pagiedamon
What are three things that FunTrivia players would be surprised to learn about you?

1. I once told someone I wanted to be a snowman when I grew up.
2. I've been inside the famed prison San Quentin (two private tours. First one was June/2013 and then another this past June).
3. I detest the movie "The Matrix". It's popular with many cinematic aficionados...just not this guy.

Gamemaster1967
If you could meet any famous person, in any field, alive or dead, who would it be?

Do the Fun Trivia TV editors crew count? wink I'd say Franklin D. Roosevelt. Hearing his political thought process would fascinate me (after all, my Bachelor's Degree is in Political Science).

Thanks to all participants.

#1068329 - Thu Oct 09 2014 10:54 PM Re: Interview with CAGuy0206
trident Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Wisconsin USA
Interesting! Though, I am one of those "aficionados" that do like The Matrix! The sequels were quite terrible, however.

Editor: World and General

#1068415 - Fri Oct 10 2014 09:29 AM Re: Interview with CAGuy0206
MadMartha Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Georgia USA
Interesting interview CAGuy. I hope you do get to travel abroad more. It's something I have only been able to do rather late in life, but better late than never!

#1068606 - Sat Oct 11 2014 04:56 PM Re: Interview with CAGuy0206
kyleisalive Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Toronto, Canada, eh!
Interesting interview. Definitely an author I wanted to know more about. smile

#1068730 - Sun Oct 12 2014 05:51 AM Re: Interview with CAGuy0206
Pagiedamon Offline

Loc: North Carolina USA
Originally Posted By: kyleisalive
Definitely an author I wanted to know more about. smile

Me, too! I'm sure many of us have played his quizzes, since he's written 1,447!

#1068901 - Mon Oct 13 2014 12:00 AM Re: Interview with CAGuy0206
CAGuy0206 Offline
Participant

Loc: California USA
Thanks so much everyone for the praise on my interview! I realize that my answers are shorter than from other participants. The reason for that is, as I commenced my job last week (questions were submitted Wednesday evening. I completed them within a half hour), I was VERY tired and just wanted to get this up ASAP since I figured it would generate interest. So that fatigue explains my sometimes quick, prompt responses (now I'm thankfully energized! This is what happens when the terminated employee you replace leaves plenty of backlogged work to complete!)

Thanks a bunch to everyone who asked these varied, exciting questions (I appreciate a nice mix) as well as to Pagie for inviting me into completing this fun activity.

Take care

-Jason

P.S. as for my quiz writing, my aim is to complete the Party of Five series episodes, do all Breaking Bad episode quizzes and continue with Castle as well for that same type of quiz. After Castle's done broadcasting new material (hopefully that doesn't occur for several years), I'll officially enter "quiz writing retirement" (sorry to be the bearer of some bad news. However, it's been an incredible ride so far so my objective is maintaining that feeling)

Edited by CAGuy0206 (Mon Oct 13 2014 12:04 AM)

#1069022 - Mon Oct 13 2014 02:34 PM Re: Interview with CAGuy0206
kyleisalive Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Toronto, Canada, eh!
Quote:
I'll officially enter "quiz writing retirement".

I've been saying that to myself for years. Whether or not it'll ever happen is a bit iffy.

#1071987 - Mon Nov 03 2014 10:10 AM Re: Interview with CAGuy0206
dg_dave Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: near Stafford, Virginia USA  
Originally Posted By: kyleisalive
Quote:
I'll officially enter "quiz writing retirement".

I've been saying that to myself for years. Whether or not it'll ever happen is a bit iffy.

You won't do it until you hit that masterful 5,000, Kyle. wink

#1092984 - Sat Apr 25 2015 10:48 PM Re: Interview with CAGuy0206
CAGuy0206 Offline
Participant

Just a quick update. So I mentioned in my interview that I would like to go to Rome, Athens and Boston

Well I've got one of those three now crossed off..or will have it crossed off come August (Boston) wink

I'll be booking my airfare and hotel in a few weeks to Bean Town! VERY EXCITED!!

#1093036 - Sun Apr 26 2015 09:40 AM Re: Interview with CAGuy0206
shuehorn Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Lawrenceville Georgia USA     
Thanks for the lively and interesting interview. I'm going to have to take some of your quizzes and learn to do episodic quizzes. I haven't done any of those and it would round out my writing. I love CA, but I've been there only to visit family. If I could move there, I would! I'm a twin myself, though my sister died shortly after we were born. I wonder how many twins are on FT? Enjoy Boston!

#1093976 - Sat May 02 2015 02:30 PM Re: Interview with CAGuy0206
CAGuy0206 Offline
Participant

Thanks shuehorn! I'm also going to New Orleans after Boston.

I find the episodic ones to be fun. Sometimes I could ask detailed answers but, if it's on Castle or Breaking Bad, I usually go for stuff that was meaningful in the show.

CA is great but it's becoming way too crowded, at least in my area (San Francisco Bay Area. The developers have gone hog wild with the residential angle for years now. I'd prefer they do more commercial development...so long as it's sensible, of course).

Ahh another twin! I'm sorry about what happened to your sister...it's always devastating when that happens

Thanks for the kudos on my interview!

Moderator:  rossian, sue943