Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#1071106 - Wed Oct 29 2014 02:47 PM Google Chrome help please
guitargoddess Offline

Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada         
I usually leave my browser open all the time, and just put my laptop in sleep mode when I walk away from it, so every so often, Chrome advises me to relaunch it so it can apply an update. Well I just did that a little while ago, now it won't open. It tries to launch, but crashes immediately. I get "Google Chrome has stopped working" message windows.

I tried a suggestion I found online to disable automatic updating of Chrome (which I'm not sure what good it would do, since updating it was what caused the problem), and uninstalled and reinstalled it, same thing still happens.

Help?

#1071114 - Wed Oct 29 2014 03:20 PM Re: Google Chrome help please
pyonir Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Minnesota USA
I found the suggestion of trying a "clean boot". You can find instructions on how to do it here - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

You may need to write some of it down/print it out in order to do everything they ask. Make sure you also read all of the sections, including "What is next..." and "How to reset the computer..." sections.

If that doesn't work, you should uninstall Chrome and make sure you delete all of the Chrome folders and files. That would include your profile, so you might want to back that up along with any bookmarks you want to backup. Then reboot and reinstall Chrome.

Try the clean boot first...see if that works though. Good luck.

#1071127 - Wed Oct 29 2014 04:18 PM Re: Google Chrome help please
guitargoddess Offline

The clean boot instructions sound clear enough, but I'm not sure I follow how to figure where the problem is and solve it. I guess I want to gradually add items back to start up and see where it crashes?

#1071131 - Wed Oct 29 2014 04:32 PM Re: Google Chrome help please
guitargoddess Offline

Well on second thought, it doesn't really matter because clean boot didn't work frown

I've already uninstalled it... how would I go about it differently to make sure all folders and files are deleted?

#1071137 - Wed Oct 29 2014 05:21 PM Re: Google Chrome help please
guitargoddess Offline

well, problem solved! I had to update Cyberlink YouCam, of all things... but Chrome works again.

Thanks for your suggestions smile

#1071146 - Wed Oct 29 2014 06:23 PM Re: Google Chrome help please
flopsymopsy Offline

Administrator

Loc: Northampton England UK
May I just say that leaving a laptop on for long periods of time isn't a good idea for all sorts of reasons? I know you can do that but just because you can doesn't mean you should - they are just bits of hardware and they do overheat/wear out/get damaged more easily when left switched on.

I've just had a telephone conversation with a friend of mine who, despite my nagging, persists in leaving her laptop on for weeks and months on end. And now she wonders why she has more viruses (she never reboots so updates aren't enabled), why the fan is noisy (it's working too hard), and why the machine is hot (aaaaaaaargh, turn it off before your house catches fire!).

#1071147 - Wed Oct 29 2014 06:26 PM Re: Google Chrome help please
guitargoddess Offline

Well I do shut down at least every couple of weeks, anyway. I guess that's still a long period of time. And it does get very hot. Maybe I'll stop being too lazy to do a full start up every day, and shut down every night.

#1071179 - Thu Oct 30 2014 01:03 AM Re: Google Chrome help please
pyonir Offline
Mainstay

Sorry, didn't check back in until now. Glad you got it working.

As for shutting down the laptop...windows updates usually update once a week and a lot of times require a reboot to complete the installation. Might want to at least reboot then. If you never update windows (don't have it on automatically) you might want to run that at least once a month at the very least, but once a week is recommended by Microsoft.

#1071188 - Thu Oct 30 2014 01:53 AM Re: Google Chrome help please
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: South of England
As said, there is the update reason for the computer and the browser needing restarts. Also, some computer problems can be cleared up by purely rebooting or turning the computer off and back on again. Always worth trying that before going further.

#1071267 - Thu Oct 30 2014 11:56 AM Re: Google Chrome help please
guitargoddess Offline

Thanks all for the advice. I don't have updates on automatic (because some updates to some things like Java mess up the portal I use to remote-access for work), so I should do it manually more often.

#1071285 - Thu Oct 30 2014 01:14 PM Re: Google Chrome help please
pyonir Offline
Mainstay

Windows update doesn't update java. You can still have java automatic update turned off, but use windows update. Depends on your version of windows, but you should be able to right click "My Computer" and choose "Properties". From there you click on the automatic updates tab and set it how you like. It'll only update windows files.

#1071339 - Thu Oct 30 2014 05:24 PM Re: Google Chrome help please
MarchHare007 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Jilliby NSW Australia         

Oh yes - overheating .....
Recently a co-worker left his work laptop 'sleeping' over the weekend.
Feeling neglected it decided to set fire to itself. although fortunately only imploded as a result.

We are still trying to remove the smell!

#1071351 - Thu Oct 30 2014 07:51 PM Re: Google Chrome help please
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
You should never leave a device that has a trickle charger charging a battery unattended (trickle charge is what happens in sleep mode). I would even go so far as to add that you shouldn't sleep while a trickle is going on. If a battery fire does start (and that has been shown to happen with a significant value for occurrences for lithium cells) the fumes could suffocate you before you could do anything to stop the fire.
That goes for other equipment with charged battery power supplies though the biggest risk due to the large battery size is with laptops. A good way to handle them is to have them or their charger plugged into a wall switch to turn them off when you leave the room or go to sleep.

The ultimate activity is the Dream.

#1145548 - Fri Sep 23 2016 04:47 PM Re: Google Chrome help please
ssabreman Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ontario and Arizona
I have noticed in the last day that when I click the (i) in the address line it declares "Your connection to this site is not private." Never noticed that before. I don't know what I did to get that. My other tabs all show private.

#1145564 - Fri Sep 23 2016 06:44 PM Re: Google Chrome help please
DireWolf74 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Illinois USA
Read Terry's and Flopsy's replies in this chat board thread, reply #9 and #10. They might have useful information.

http://www.funtrivia.com/bb.cfm?action=details&qnid=29368&boardid=13

#1145571 - Fri Sep 23 2016 07:42 PM Re: Google Chrome help please
ssabreman Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ontario and Arizona
Originally Posted By: DireWolf74
Read Terry's and Flopsy's replies in this chat board thread, reply #9 and #10. They might have useful information.

http://www.funtrivia.com/bb.cfm?action=details&qnid=29368&boardid=13

Thanks. It appears to be a recent update on Chrome so everything is copacetic.

#1145574 - Fri Sep 23 2016 08:21 PM Re: Google Chrome help please
flopsymopsy Offline

Administrator

Loc: Northampton England UK
It's also happening with Firefox. As Wesley said on that thread, browser developers seem to be highlighting the possibility of fraud to the extent that every web activity which isn't protected by security measures designed to protect personal/financial information is now marked as insecure - which ignores the fact that most web interactions, from reading a news report, checking the weather, searching for a raincoat, and doing a quiz on cloud formations, don't need to be secure in the first place.

And thanks for the new word. smile

#1145799 - Mon Sep 26 2016 08:44 PM Re: Google Chrome help please
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong  Hong Kong      
Now now Flopsy, you know you should steer clear of newfangled words, especially those from America in the early 20th Century. Where is your sense of the value of the archaic?

#1146443 - Mon Oct 03 2016 06:47 AM Re: Google Chrome help please
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
How come the British don't use sence instead of sense? smile

The ultimate activity is the Dream.

Moderator:  flopsymopsy, ladymacb29