Rules
Terms of Use

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#1100922 - Wed Jul 01 2015 08:44 PM Re: Good Teachers
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong† Hong†Kong††††††
He had to leave to get home to China before the exams. I said what a shame to miss them as he was doing so well.
He suggested I could email him the English exam and he would send it back. I jokingly suggested it might not be a good idea as he would be able to look up the answers, in the grammar section at least.
"Well, yes, and now you spoiled my plan" he said, " but I expect you would know that it was really me in the writing part?"
Oh yes, Felix, indeed yes!

#1107768 - Thu Sep 03 2015 08:45 PM Re: Good Teachers
ren33 Offline

We are back to school today. Felix has grown about 3 inches, has had a good summer break and is raring to go in his new class. As an ice breaker I asked them to play a sort of getting to know you game. He sat in the hot seat , thinking. Then he said
"Mrs R can you hold on a while while I think what to say? There is a party going on in my head at the moment!"
He is back!

#1107779 - Thu Sep 03 2015 10:43 PM Re: Good Teachers
dg_dave Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: near Stafford, Virginia†USA††
Originally Posted By: ren33
Then he said, "Mrs R can you hold on a while while I think what to say? There is a party going on in my head at the moment!"

From the mouths of "little sprouts"...here's hoping his head had a good party! smilee

#1107794 - Fri Sep 04 2015 04:44 AM Re: Good Teachers
ren33 Offline

I have no doubt!

#1107864 - Fri Sep 04 2015 05:07 PM Re: Good Teachers
Jakeroo Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Alberta Canada
Children have lots of things going on in their heads. Some things are good, but sometimes good/creative thoughts don't have good consequences. Like my friend's son, who, at the age of 5 took a hammer and banged 23 dents along one entire side of their brand new RV (almost perfectly 1 foot apart - I predicted he'd become an architect or a carpenter lol). When asked by his father why he did it, he said "I had a song in my head". His father, showing remarkable restraint, said "well, let's try listening to quiet songs in your head from now on". smile

Which is an example that not all parents are bad teachers and not all teachers are good at either parenting or teaching. But we're lucky when we get one who is, either way.

Edited by Jakeroo (Fri Sep 04 2015 11:14 PM)

#1107905 - Sat Sep 05 2015 03:47 AM Re: Good Teachers
ren33 Offline

Teaching Asian students for so long I think I may have a theory. We once had a workman come to do some work on our car repair shop. He immediately asked for a ladder. We had none, so instead of going to fetch , or buy one, he collected some bamboo branches from the ground , found some string, sawed up some small rungs , cut notches in the long poles and tied the rungs on. It took him about 30 minutes.
. In the same way, I think, Felix uses what he has, in the way of words, to express what he wants to say. I think a Brit would rush for a dictionary, and indeed many of our students do, but not Felix!. I once had a small pupil who wanted to take a photo. She had forgotten "camera" so said " I will fetch my picture taker" instead.
It is this "using what you have, making do" that separates our nationalities maybe.
Felix makes me gasp with his ingenuity!

#1107972 - Sun Sep 06 2015 12:29 AM Re: Good Teachers
Jakeroo Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Alberta Canada
I think you're a good teacher ren because you allow them to think outside the box that many school systems in other parts of the world put people in.

#1111443 - Wed Oct 07 2015 09:18 PM Re: Good Teachers
ren33 Offline

I now find that Felix needs a little vocabulary practice, but he is nothing if not honest.
"My Mother.
My mother is a good person , to my mind. I don't know what kind of person she is to others, so I can only say what I think. She has black curly hair and a friendly face. She is very kind, but, you know, nobody is perfect . She is very forgetful and stupid about some small things. Sometimes she is like a little girl, talking with her cat a lot, and then she becomes the cat, lying on the sofa watching TV.
That's my mum, a bit silly, a bit lazy but most kind . And then, of course, her and my father made me become me at least."

Well , you can't ask more can you?

#1111475 - Thu Oct 08 2015 06:25 AM Re: Good Teachers
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel†Islands††††
Aw, what a sweetie.

#1111482 - Thu Oct 08 2015 08:40 AM Re: Good Teachers
zorba_scank Offline
Prolific

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Thanks for sharing, Ren. It made me smile.

The 'making do with what you have' seems like an Asian trait. It's definitely pretty common in my country. Probably has to do with us having been a relatively poor country.

#1113071 - Fri Oct 23 2015 01:38 AM Re: Good Teachers
ren33 Offline

Had a great one today (NOT Felix this time)
On the subject of whether celebrities should have details of their private lives reported on by the media. One girl said:
".....by celebrities I mean filmstars, singers, actors and swan."
Get it?

#1113231 - Sat Oct 24 2015 01:28 AM Re: Good Teachers
Santana2002 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: France
love it!

#1113254 - Sat Oct 24 2015 05:07 AM Re: Good Teachers
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel†Islands††††
I didn't get it until Sara explained. smile

#1118016 - Mon Nov 30 2015 01:39 AM Re: Good Teachers
ren33 Offline

Back to Felix and his latest. He really had no idea what he did wrong when I asked.
We all went to the local theme park on Friday. He was writing his version of this , his "funny day".
It began with breakfast with his mates.
"When we had finished our breakfast at Mcdownloads, we went to wait for the bus."
How to keep a straight face, as usual, is a problem.

#1118022 - Mon Nov 30 2015 03:34 AM Re: Good Teachers
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel†Islands††††
Free wifi?

#1124404 - Fri Jan 29 2016 04:25 AM Re: Good Teachers
ren33 Offline

Today we were discussing punishment, and with a straight (as possible) face I told them I had never ever been put in detention.
Felix: Is that really true Mrs R?
Me: O course, would I lie to you?
Felix : Hm . I see, well maybe that is because it hadn't been invented yet.!! (This with as straight a face as he could manage.
They say that if you can crack a joke in another language, you are learning well.I pretended to be very offended, but he didn't bat an eyelid at that either. I am pleased with his progress.

#1124413 - Fri Jan 29 2016 07:30 AM Re: Good Teachers
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel†Islands††††
That is brilliant. smile

#1128449 - Thu Mar 03 2016 03:40 PM Re: Good Teachers
ren33 Offline

Things were going really well with the book we are all making in class. Everyone is writing up interviews with class members.
Leon tells us that Andy is a "Travelling lover". Somehow he isn't quite the type, yet.He seems to have visited many countries though.

#1128684 - Sat Mar 05 2016 02:36 AM Re: Good Teachers
ren33 Offline

Here is an interview which pleased me.
Interviewee: Felix Interviewer: Janam
It was a privilege for me to interview Felix. Iíve known him for a year and a half. Heís tall (180cm) and a handsome mainlander with a 2mm beard. He is the only person in IG (2016-IG class) who is very calm and sure that no matter what happens in his life, he would be a successful person. Not only from my point of view but from most of the other students point of view, heís really a professional debater. No one usually wins when going against him during a debate. He has indirectly taught me how to come up with different ideas and Iím really thankful for that.
I always wanted to ask him few questions related to his life but I thought it would be awkward but now when I got the chance to ask him all those questions, Iíve got some astonishing answers.
Firstly, I started with some normal questions by asking him why and what made him come to Hong Kong as China would be better for him. He said that the education he got over there was not very decent comparing to the education he would get in HK. He also likes small class learning. I was able to predict one of the things he was going to say which was the girls were more talkative in HK. That surely is a good sign for boys. The main reason he came to HK was to learn English because the teacher who teaches English back there in China had a Chinese accent and thatís what Felix hated the most. He also didnít like living with his parents because they were annoying (Good excuse Felix).
Felix likes reading Chinese comic books. One day I asked him why doesnít he read English books as he would be enhancing his English skills, he said that he would love to read English books but he doesnít like its story line comparing to what he reads.
His favourite sport is football. He also likes playing badminton but unfortunately does not have anyone to play with. I said to him that Iím always ready for sports which brought a smile in his face. We then forgot about the interview and started making plans for the Easter holidays. (It took me 15 minutes to realize that I havenít finished my interview.)
He still hasnít thought of what he would want to be in the future but what knows is that he would not marry a woman (or a man). The only reason he doesnít want to marry is that it would be time consuming to spend time with his wife/husband and it would waste his money. (Iím pretty sure he would be married and to a woman for sure.)
From his point of view, heís a little shy to interact with new people from different countries but Iím pretty sure that he will overcome that problem.
I had an absolutely amazing time interviewing an open-minded person like him. It was really great knowing more about him and I would always be there for you Felix. And donít be so desperate to grow taller. It would not be easy to kiss a girl.

#1129022 - Tue Mar 08 2016 04:26 AM Re: Good Teachers
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel†Islands††††
No problem with being taught by a teacher with West Country accent then. Runs for cover. smile

#1129129 - Tue Mar 08 2016 10:51 PM Re: Good Teachers
ren33 Offline

Thanks , dear.(If you havent met or spoken to our dear Sue, you should know that 'er talks real posh, jest like the BBC and the Queen.)
I must say I have been noticing the odd rolled 'r' in my discussions with students recently . However, they can be understood quite easily. I remember a girl in my class in Gloucester, on being asked why she had been absent the day before.
She said
'Oi sarry I neve cam ter schoo' , but ower Mam were baad.'( I am sorry I didnt come to school but my Mother was ill.). We have not quite reached that, but I am working on it.

#1129145 - Wed Mar 09 2016 04:17 AM Re: Good Teachers
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel†Islands††††
Having just spent a number of days with women from Bristol, Bath, Devon etc then that makes you sound almost BBC dear.

#1132340 - Fri Apr 08 2016 06:51 AM Re: Good Teachers
ren33 Offline

I have been marking papers from our outreach school. Had a great one:
Exam Q (comprehension) : What can the robot do when the battery runs down?
Answer: It can turn around and take itself to the jiajia.
I roared! (and of course marked it correct)

#1132347 - Fri Apr 08 2016 09:33 AM Re: Good Teachers
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel†Islands††††
I don't understand. frown

#1132351 - Fri Apr 08 2016 10:52 AM Re: Good Teachers
dg_dave Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: near Stafford, Virginia†USA††
This is the closest thing I can come up with...take itself to its family.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ren33, sue943