I can see from the "Started more than once - never finished" thread, that many of us have made more than one attempt before getting into a book, and wondered just how often the second (or subsequent) attempt has lead to success and real enjoyment of the novel.

I admit this is something that has happened to me on more than one occasion.

The first time was around 1980-ish. I had received a glorious red-leather-and-gold-inlay bound copy of Jane Eyre. Beautiful tissue-paper pages, gold trim, the works. I was about ten, and had received it as a present for Christmas and boy I absolutely loved the book, the feel of it in my hands, the look of it. I imagined it as the start of a noble collection of beautiful bound books. BUT I couldn't get past the first few pages. It was frightfully dull and just didn't "speak" to me at all. Such disappointment, I can tell you.

With the benefit of hindsight, I now understand that I was just not quite ready for it at that time. However, twelve months later I came across my beautiful book again when tidying my room, opened the cover and fell headlong in love with it, I couldn't put it down. I read that book hundreds of times, it was almost an obsession, and I loved it more with each read.

So how often have you had to start a book more than once before succumbing to its charms?