Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#1091556 - Mon Apr 13 2015 05:41 PM Game of Thrones - Season 5
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
Ok, rules for this thread are no spoilers until after the episode airs. (I know a bunch of episodes were leaked, so if you watched them please don't spoil it for anyone else.) Also, if you're going to talk about spoilers from the book, please say so at the top of your post.

So what did everyone think of the premier? I thought it was a little slow, but that's typical for the first episode of a season. I don't like Danaerys, so I'm a little upset Varys/Tyrion are going to see her, but was amused her dragons don't like her. wink

When Sansa's carriage when right by Brienne I almost screamed. Poor Brienne - I wonder if she's ever going to be able to fulfill her promise to Catelyn?

Editor for Television Category

#1091566 - Tue Apr 14 2015 12:29 AM Re: Game of Thrones - Season 5
Santana2002 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: France
I am so happy that season five has finally started, it feels like way too long since we had a good old rip-roaring session from all our favourite characters!

I enjoyed episode 1. It did feel very "technical" in the sense that there is a definite air of setting up storylines for the future, which I guess is normal for the first episode of the series.

I have read the books, so am looking forward to discovering the deviations from the original.

Even so I agree with ladymacb, that scene with Brienne when Sansa passed so close to her was very well done.

Personally I was a fan of Danaerys, but feel she has lost her way (or the author has lost his way). I'm really hoping that she'll be drawn back in when Tryion and Varys get to her. Tyrion is one of the strongest characters, in my opinion. Likewise his plotline got a bit lost in the book, so it'll be interesting to see how the TV series will develop it.

Wasn't Cersei just as horrible as a teen as she is an adult?

Roll on episode 2 grin

#1091692 - Tue Apr 14 2015 05:37 PM Re: Game of Thrones - Season 5
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
I'm still in book 2 (Robb just got to Riverrun), and am glad I started watching the show first. I think there would be too much for me to remember/keep track of had I read the books without any background. And then it's nice because the books have so much more expansive storylines.

What do you think of season 5 deviating from the books? Do you think that will be more enjoyable for those who have read the books or annoying?

Editor for Television Category

#1091724 - Tue Apr 14 2015 11:57 PM Re: Game of Thrones - Season 5
Santana2002 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: France
My own attitude is to watch episode five as a something apart, without comparing it to the book at all. That way I get to indulge in a little escapism in front of the TV AND I got to enjoy the author's original version. That makes for two enjoyable experiences, not one. No need to get all hot and bothered about things, eh?

I find both complement each other : the books fill in missing information for the tv series and give a more detailed, rich experience of the saga, whereas the TV series brings other dimensions to the characters and scenes which equal or even in some cases surpass what my imagination was able to come up with. As the TV show simplifies some of the storylines it actually helps complete or clarify my understanding of the books, that can't be a bad thing, can it?

Moderator:  ladymacb29, SilverMoonsong