Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#1102912 - Wed Jul 22 2015 05:31 PM Which movie character am I?
ElusiveDream Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Victoria Australia
This is my first chain game on the forums. Let's see who can guess the movie character that I'm thinking of. Whoever guesses correctly gets to choose the next character. Here's your first clue: this character is an animal.

#1103240 - Fri Jul 24 2015 05:54 PM Re: Which movie character am I?
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
Wouldn't this be more appropriately placed in the "Chain Games" Forum? How are we to be sure what the answer is? You might originally think Donkey from "Shrek" and once someone guesses that, the answer might be switched to Puss-in-Boots. There is no way to be sure unless a second person or machine verifies a response as right or wrong. Have you thought of using the Spoiler UBB option and figure some other way of deciding who goes next?

There is a possibility that the winning guesser has to tell their choice to the previous winner. That way two people know the correct answer. Then when someone guesses it, they have to tell you their choice of a correct answer.

Are you going to have rules about subsequent clues? After each guess? Upon request? Each hour? Day?

Any rules about a delay in telling guessers if they're right or wrong? Such as, if two days goes by can someone issue a new Name to guess (in that case who do they tell what the correct reply would be?)

Edited by mehaul (Fri Jul 24 2015 05:55 PM)

The ultimate activity is the Dream.

#1103255 - Fri Jul 24 2015 10:10 PM Re: Which movie character am I?
ElusiveDream Offline
Forum Adept

I originally put this thread on the Chain Games forum, but because it's a guessing game, it's been moved to the Games & Challenges forum. As for clues in this game, a new one will be given after each guess.

#1103256 - Fri Jul 24 2015 10:13 PM Re: Which movie character am I?
ElusiveDream Offline
Forum Adept

Also, if you're playing & you want the chance to choose the next character, you have to be the player who correctly guessed the previous character.

#1103283 - Sat Jul 25 2015 10:41 AM Re: Which movie character am I?
Tryst Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Mu Mu Land
Rocket Raccoon

#1103292 - Sat Jul 25 2015 01:17 PM Re: Which movie character am I?
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

I named two movie animals, no new clue. Two hours have passed and no new clue after this last guess. It shows that the poser needs to be available 24/7.

This thread also takes a spot on the ten most recent Forum's postings which Chain Games are excluded from because of their nature (hopefully) of having continuous guesses being made. That is the very reason the chains are excluded.

You've said this is a chain game and it was rejected from that forum. Chain games belong in the Chain Forum.

This the same as a number guessing game. "I'm thinking of a number between 1 and a thousand" (though the possible answers to movie characters is closer to 500,000). It could take weeks for a correct answer to be posted and as stated before and not defined yet, how are we to be sure what the correct answer is? This forum states a premise and then all the following posts fit that premise. There are no clues given to what the reply should be for the number 804 as an example. And it takes no one person to decide what a correct reply would be. That whole thread is completely independent of whether a reply is correct or not, it just has to follow the initial posted concept of a challenge.

The following is the "ABC..." of chain games. Does this thread need to have it too? )Note that it requires that the initiator is to give the first answer as an example of how the game is to be played.):
Quote:
"ABC" for YOU and ME

Your humble hosts, the moderators of the Chain Games Forum, would be thrilled to know you offer us a few minutes of your time and read this topic.
We tried to gather in one place, some of the guidelines scattered around the place in various threads/games and thus make them more available to newcomers and to old addicted players too.

So here are some General Guidelines for having a smooth and ordered roll of these games...

- All players are kindly asked to carefully read the guidelines for each game they wish to play.
As a general rule, the poster who starts a new game, or "Part xyz" of an older game, gives a very clear example of how the game has to be played by posting the first answer for it.
Please respect the given format.

**The Chain Games can be our garden, easily noticed by everybody and admired for it's state, or it can be a junkyard where everybody throws away useless stuff and then all we have is a pile of undefined garbage nobody wants to see or have. It's up to us all to decide which one we want to 'live' in when playing in here.

- Badges or Bonus points are NOT awarded, no matter how quick or slow one posts their answer. It doesn't take ages to pay a bit of attention to small things like the page you're on, which is the last answer in the current game and even to check if the answer you have in mind has already been posted.

- Certain games require for the first letter of the answer to be bolded, in order to make the chain more easy to follow for everyone. Other games need to have an entire word in bold to keep the link between posts visible. Respecting this, helps with having less (hopefully none ) wrong answers, for example two or three posts in a row beginning with the same letter, an "O" after an "F" and so on.

**Neither of us knew how to "bold, italic, underline" when we first landed here and we asked older members how to do it or read the instructions in the FAQ section - HERE

- Deleting posts, even entire threads is easy for us but we would prefer not being forced to do it - Thank you!

- Elementary grammar rules are a must - proper capitalization of names, movies/books titles, first word of a sentence/phrase, using quotes (" ") when quoting [see the 'garden' I mentioned above ].
Mistyping won't be amended unless it's too repetitive.

- Failing to comply with the CGG 2007-CDG Quality System, will lead to having your posts deleted and, who knows, maybe even being restricted from accessing the Chain Games. Feel free to take your risks.

**Don't know what "CGG 2007-CDG" is? That's easy - Chain Games Guidelines compiled in 2007 by Cinnam0n-Denni19-Gatsby722. We're a funny bunch, aren't we ?

- Games in here are really nice to play, so we won't take up more of your time by using the entire alphabet for instructions. [Aren’t you relieved?]

Please don't think of us as “monsters” for coming up with so many little rules, we are doing it out of respect for you - members who came up with so many good games, and for you - members who share a part of your life with those games and with us.

We are hoping you'll have lots of fun with the Chain Games.

Yours truly,
Cinnam0n, Denni, Gatsby

I would say your game needs some refinements and that then it should be in the chain games.

Edited by mehaul (Sat Jul 25 2015 01:36 PM)

#1103296 - Sat Jul 25 2015 01:30 PM Re: Which movie character am I?
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

From the Games and Challenge I read that for single question challenges the thread ends when a correct answer is given (meaning no "correct answerer goes next" ('chain'))

Originally Posted By: Challenges Guidelines 9-Dec-02
Hello and welcome to the Challenge section of the Fun Trivia Forums. This is where you can try to stump us all with a challenge or two. If you are just after the answer to a question head over to the Why is the Sky Blue? forum. If the challenge does not have a finite end, such as a challenge chain, it belongs in the Chain Games forum.

If you are setting a challenge for everybody please remember to come back in and tell us that the answers are correct ... or even tell us the answers on the single question challenges. More importantly, if you are setting a challenge that isn't your original work, give credit to those whose work it is or a link to the website you got it from. It's only fair.

There are different sorts of challenges in this forum and we ask that you take care in reading the challenge before replying as the challenge setter usually stipulates how they want the answers to come. In the challenges that are multi questioned you are normally asked to answer one at a time and wait for others to answer so that people from all the time zones can have a go. There are also the single question challenges in which the challenge setter usually asks that the answer be sent to them via private message so, once again, everybody can have a crack at the answer. (You can send a private message by clicking on the name of the person , bringing up their profile and then following the private message link.) There are also the Trivia Challenge Threads =C= - Please read the first post of the thread which explains the rules of the challenge - this is not a Chain Game- only one trivia challenge thread will run at any one time - if you respond correctly to the challenge you must be prepared to set the next question in the thread.

On saying all of this, some challenges may be different again so read how the challenge setter wants the answers.

Like the rest of the Fun Trivia Forums there are a few other guidelines that apply to all sections. Please don't use capitals for all your words, don't use Internet abbreviations such as 'u' for 'you' or '2' for 'to' / 'too' and try to use proper spelling and grammar so it is easy for everyone, especially the non-English speaking members, to read.

Thanks
your Challenge Moderators.

#1103308 - Sat Jul 25 2015 02:07 PM Re: Which movie character am I?
MiraJane Offline
Prolific

Loc: New York USA
Mehaul, the first post made states it's a chain game because that is where the thread started. It was moved by a moderator to this forum.

Your two guesses for what the answer might be are not listed. There is one guess from three and a half hours ago. Give Elusive Dream to get back here to give the next clue. As for the answer possibly changing mid guesses, you need to have a bit of trust that once the person giving the clues says "I've got the answer" won't suddenly change the answer. That's the same for any guessing game.

#1103309 - Sat Jul 25 2015 02:10 PM Re: Which movie character am I?
Tryst Offline
Star Poster

I'll move my guess in case it gets missed

Rocket Raccoon

#1103316 - Sat Jul 25 2015 02:47 PM Re: Which movie character am I?
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Donkey from "Shrek"

#1103317 - Sat Jul 25 2015 02:48 PM Re: Which movie character am I?
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Puss-in-Boots from "Shrek"

#1103319 - Sat Jul 25 2015 02:58 PM Re: Which movie character am I?
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Mira Jane,
The requirement to provide the first answer as an example of how the game works has still not been made. Is giving the movie the character is from required? And see the confusion with Tryst. Are we supposed to wait to find out if that guess is right before continuing? This could be a good CHAIN Game if the wrinkles were ironed out. I don't think the moderators should have just tossed it into a different Forum. Or did they really? ElusiveDream's first post here was by him(er) with no statement from the moderators as to why it was decided to put it here. Like I said, this is a "What number am I thinking of" game with no rules. If the correct guesser gets to decide the next number, it is a Chain Game by definition.

Sorry for posting after you Tryst. Let me try to correct that wrong:
Originally Posted By: Tryst
I'll move my guess in case it gets missed

Rocket Raccoon

Edited by mehaul (Sat Jul 25 2015 03:09 PM)

#1103372 - Sun Jul 26 2015 01:14 AM Re: Which movie character am I?
ElusiveDream Offline
Forum Adept

Sorry, all those guesses are incorrect. Here's your next clue: this character has green eyes.

#1103381 - Sun Jul 26 2015 06:50 AM Re: Which movie character am I?
Tryst Offline
Star Poster

Caesar - Planet of the Apes

#1103448 - Sun Jul 26 2015 05:05 PM Re: Which movie character am I?
ElusiveDream Offline
Forum Adept

Sorry, wrong again. Here's your next clue: this character is a Disney villain.

#1103450 - Sun Jul 26 2015 06:30 PM Re: Which movie character am I?
jabb5076 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Georgia USA
Maleficent?

#1103468 - Sun Jul 26 2015 11:27 PM Re: Which movie character am I?
ElusiveDream Offline
Forum Adept

Sorry, wrong again. Next clue: The movie I'm featured in first hit cinemas in the mid 90's.

#1103470 - Mon Jul 27 2015 12:09 AM Re: Which movie character am I?
MiraJane Offline
Prolific

Loc: New York USA
Ursula the Sea Witch.

Edited by MiraJane (Mon Jul 27 2015 12:10 AM)
Edit Reason: No earth shattering reason.

#1103473 - Mon Jul 27 2015 12:30 AM Re: Which movie character am I?
david1975 Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Winnipeg Manitoba Canada     
Scar

#1103479 - Mon Jul 27 2015 01:03 AM Re: Which movie character am I?
ElusiveDream Offline
Forum Adept

Well done, david1975, you are correct! smilee smilee smilee Now it's your turn to choose a movie character.

#1103747 - Wed Jul 29 2015 02:43 AM Re: Which movie character am I?
david1975 Offline
Star Poster

This character is a teenager.

#1163374 - Mon Apr 17 2017 02:53 AM Re: Which movie character am I?
rhosyn Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Carmarthenshire Wales
Ferris Bueller

#1163527 - Wed Apr 19 2017 12:34 AM Re: Which movie character am I?
david1975 Offline
Star Poster

Sorry, wrong guess. Here's your next clue: this character is in a film trilogy.

#1164262 - Fri Apr 28 2017 10:20 PM Re: Which movie character am I?
dg_dave Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: near Stafford, Virginia USA  
Only one I can think of for those two clues is Marty McFly.

#1164274 - Sat Apr 29 2017 12:30 AM Re: Which movie character am I?
david1975 Offline
Star Poster

That is correct, dg_dave. Now it is your turn to choose a movie character.

Moderator:  ozzz2002