Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#1110450 - Wed Sep 30 2015 07:24 PM Interview With Dalgleish
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Colorado USA
Sue943, ozzz2002, satguru
First a pretty basic one, how did you end up at Funtrivia?

Going back to about 2001, I was a member of "Wrestling Classics" forum, and someone posted a wrestling quiz from FT. I decided to check it out a bit further, and the rest is history!

satguru
What route took you to becoming an editor?

I started submitting quizzes to Music in particular, and got to know Bruyere quite well. She encouraged me to become an Editor. I've nearly forgiven her...

satguru
I know you met your life partner on Funtrivia, how do you feel about the site as a family and social site as you have also been here a long time?

We knew of each other here, but really got to know each other elsewhere. It's a good place to get to know people with similar interests, but like anywhere else, use your discretion and common sense.

ozzz2002
We met in Sydney a few years ago in what was a great night. Have you been to any other FT meetups?

Geez, that was about 7 years ago now! The only other one I've been to was just prior to that, here in Brisbane.

ozzz2002
You have a nice variety of quizzes in your portfolio, but have not created one since 2009. Any thoughts of adding a few more?

Always running through possible quizzes in my head, but they never seem to quite make it to paper (or keyboard) these days. I promise there are more to come though.

salami_swami
Favorite quiz you've written? Favorite quiz by another author? Favorite author?

Probably my favourite quiz was a pro wrestling one dedicated to wrestlers who had passed away. Got the sunglasses for that one! Don't have one particular favourite quiz or author, but I'm quite partial to some of the stuff by Fredsixties.

satguru
When did you move to Australia, and do you ever miss the old country?

I'd have to say no, because I was actually born in Australia! My father was born in Carlisle, and we visited there last year, but that's the first time I've actually been to England.

TabbyTom
Somehow or other I tend to think of Queenslanders as rather conservatively minded by Australian standards. Is this true, or was it ever true?

The rest of Australia has always thought that Queensland is "different". A lot of it goes back to the 70s and 80s when Joh Blelke-Petersen was Qld Premier, and had some conservative ideas which he controlled the state with. Having spent a lot of time in Sydney, I'd have to say that the main difference these days is that our beer is better!

TabbyTom
Are there any natural attractions or cultural events (in the widest sense of the word) that you would advise a visitor to Queensland make a point of seeing? Is there anything you'd advise a visitor to avoid?

To be honest, nothing much springs to mind for required-viewing attractions. We have beaches, so does the rest of Australia, wehave Southbank Parklands, other cities have similar, we have our Royal National Show, it's much the same as Sydney's Royal Easter Show, perhaps snorkeling off of Townsville, on the Great Barrier Reef, would be recommended, as Leau and I did 9 years ago. As for cultural events, you've got to see a Pacific Pro Wrestling show when they are on, and I'm not at all biased , just because my son and I are the owners....

Sue943
A two part questions. Part a - What would be the perfect holiday/vacation for you if funds were unlimited? Part b - what has been the best holiday/vacation so far for you?

When I was a little feller, I had a fascination for seeing Los Angeles, but these days not so much. The best holiday was our honeymoon last year, traveling through England and Scotland. We saw a lot, but also missed a lot, so I'd have to say that would be target destination. The highlight would, of course, be seeing an Ashes Test at Lord's (only partly because Australia can always win there!).

Sue943
You can dine with six other people who must be prominent in some field, they can be alive or dead and one must assume that magically everyone could speak English so nationality is no bar. Who would you chose and why?

They can be alive or dead? Well, I'd prefer if they were all alive, for a start! Seriously though, I'd possibly go for musicians Willie Nelson and Chuck Berry, cricketers Fred Trueman and Shane Warne, and wrestlers Harley Race and Billy Robinson. We'd all get on famously as long as the alcohol kept flowing and the stories kept coming.

ozzz2002
I know you are a cricket buff. What is your prediction for the upcoming Ashes series?

Let's see, I reckon England 3-2. Oh they already did? Well, let's look forward to the next series then, 2017-18. Both teams at the moment are largely works in progress, it's just a matter of who can utilise their younger talent better. I think I'd give the slight advantage to Australia, in home conditions, based on a better bowling attack. I reckon 3-1.

TabbyTom
You're obviously a highly respected cricket umpire. What qualities do you think are needed to officiate at a match (apart from a knowledge of the increasingly complicated laws of the game)?

I've actually retired from umpiring now, but I did quite a bit of training of umpires when I was involved. Someone once said to me that those players are paying you to do a job, the very least you can do is know the Laws of the Game. You need to be laid-back, but not to the point where the players think that they can run roughshod over you. I've always said that the best umpires are the ones who exude a "presence", be it physical or just an aura. The other fundamental thing is the ability to gain the respect of the players. That part is a lot easier said than done, and is getting harder with each passing generation who more and more have little respect for any authority.

TabbyTom
There's a tendency for expensive technology to get cheaper and more widely available very quickly. If it became possible to introduce the Decision Review System used in most international cricket matches into the games in which you stand, would you welcome it or resist it?

The first thing that needs to happen is that they get the technology right, and then make sure that the guy pressing the buttons is switched on. When it was first introduced, I opposed it vehemently. All of the old adages, "Cricket is a great leveler", "Cricket is character-building", "They even out in the end", I can assure you that they are all true! The introduction of DRS erodes just about every moral core that cricket was built on. Having said that, I would welcome it in all grades, but only so that I could use it as a training tool for both umpires AND players.

salami_swami
I get the feeling you like Cricket... Any other sports you fancy?

I love my Rugby League. Leau has got me into Hockey, and I used to swim a bit when I was young. I love the Olympics and Commonwealth Games, and I try to keep abreast of the goings-on in a lot of sports. After all, you never know when a trivia question about Korfball might pop up!

salami_swami
Time to play a game. Give us three interesting facts about yourself, and one false fact. Don't tell us which one is which. We will try to guess the "fake fact".

1. I was an entertainer in clubs in my younger days.
2. I am fluent in Dutch.
3. I've visited Alice Springs twice, but never seen Uluru.
4. I have turned the hallway of my house into a "Hall of Fame"

Thank you all for participating!

Editor: Video Games, Entertainment

#1110453 - Wed Sep 30 2015 07:55 PM Re: Interview With Dalgleish
ozzz2002 Offline

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia        
Great interview, mate! Do you have any plans to come to Sydney anytime? We can organise another get-together.

And I reckon your 'fake fact' is Number 3.

Editor, Hobbies and Sports, and Forum Moderator

#1110476 - Wed Sep 30 2015 10:07 PM Re: Interview With Dalgleish
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London UK           
Ah, it's a good thing you got me to ask the questions so I could clear up any mistakes! I thought you told me you'd moved there from England, but clearly it was your father. I think in the two point questions that may have got me one, or half at least wink Good to learn so much more, we've both been knocking around these parts a long time!

#1110510 - Thu Oct 01 2015 05:37 AM Re: Interview With Dalgleish
Dalgleish Offline
Prolific

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Originally Posted By: ozzz2002
Great interview, mate! Do you have any plans to come to Sydney anytime? We can organise another get-together.

I'm actually in Sydney for Christmas with Leau, so if you want to meet up, let's just hope that the Parra River isn't flooded this time!

#1110533 - Thu Oct 01 2015 08:17 AM Re: Interview With Dalgleish
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong  Hong Kong      
I really enjoyed your interview. Thanks!( I just get the feeling that you are NOT fluent in Dutch. (Q2) am I right?)

#1110598 - Thu Oct 01 2015 02:41 PM Re: Interview With Dalgleish
ozzz2002 Offline

Originally Posted By: Dalgleish

I'm actually in Sydney for Christmas with Leau, so if you want to meet up, let's just hope that the Parra River isn't flooded this time!

Funny that you should mention that; the river has actually been drained at the Parramatta end, to clean all the muck out of it!

If you can nail down a date in December, I will try to gather the troops. Keep in touch, mate.

#1110737 - Fri Oct 02 2015 03:27 PM Re: Interview With Dalgleish
MiraJane Offline
Prolific

Loc: New York USA
After reading your answer to Sue's dinner guests question, I cannot get the image of Willie Nelson engaging in a wrestling match with the wrestlers out of my mind.

I admit I haven't "met" you here yet but it was a wonderful, fun to read interview.

#1111233 - Mon Oct 05 2015 10:52 PM Re: Interview With Dalgleish
Jakeroo Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Alberta Canada
Nice interview. And congrats on your nuptials (however belated).

If you're talking about your current residence (and not your bachelor space), I'll pick the hallway thing. As a wife, I'd have never let my husband set up a "hall of fame" until he proved that he could build himself a "man cave" to put all that stuff in (and no, I have no idea if basements are normal when it comes to building homes in Australia)

#1111439 - Wed Oct 07 2015 08:02 PM Re: Interview With Dalgleish
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

Loc: California USA
Hello! I've only just arrived to see my name mentioned! How time has flown since you first joined up here! I can't get over all the things that have happened. I also got to meet Leau and I was just thinking about that the other day.

It's good to hear that you're enjoying life. I hope you will forgive me for drafting you into your editor job here too.

I think the fake one is the Hall of Fame but then again you've got to have lots of stuff around for it. I'm not sure.
Number three could very well be true as I went about four times to Versailles and never got inside, only outside!

I'm thinking number four!

#1111457 - Thu Oct 08 2015 12:51 AM Re: Interview With Dalgleish
Dalgleish Offline
Prolific

Originally Posted By: Bruyere

It's good to hear that you're enjoying life. I hope you will forgive me for drafting you into your editor job here too.

Was just kidding. After all, if you hadn't got me involved, Leau and I may never have met!

#1111811 - Sat Oct 10 2015 04:35 AM Re: Interview With Dalgleish
Santana2002 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: France
Hey there, bud! I may not be around anything like in the "old days", but it's nice to keep track of what you've been up to.

As for your little game, I'm tossing up between either the hall of fame or the fluency in Dutch being the porky-pie. I have to make a choice? I'll opt for you not quite being fluent in nederlands (shame on you) grin

#1111841 - Sat Oct 10 2015 10:41 AM Re: Interview With Dalgleish
Lottie1001 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Westmorland UK
Since it's a long way from the Alice to Uluru, my vote goes to number three being the "fake fact".

#1111925 - Sun Oct 11 2015 05:22 AM Re: Interview With Dalgleish
Dalgleish Offline
Prolific

I'll give it two more days, and then I'll reveal all (well, as far as the 'false fact' is, anyway!)

#1112096 - Tue Oct 13 2015 12:44 AM Re: Interview With Dalgleish
Dalgleish Offline
Prolific

Ok. The moment of truth....

1. I was an entertainer in clubs in my younger days.
This is true. I was in a band when I was 12-13, then many years later, played guitar and sang in clubs and restauranrs for a few years.

3. I've visited Alice Springs twice, but never seen Uluru.
True as well. In 2009 and 2010, I was selected to umpire at the National Indigenous cricket championships (the Imparja Cup) in Alice Springs. I was there for a week each year, but because I was umpiring every day, I didn't get the chance to travel the 300km to view Uluru.

4. I have turned the hallway of my house into a "Hall of Fame".
Once again, true. As I mentioned, my son and I run Pacific Pro Wrestling. He had the bright idea to hang every show's poster on one side of the hallway, so I decided to hang some classic wrestlers and cards on the other side! It's still a work in progress, but I think it qualifies as a HOF!

2. I am fluent in Dutch.
Unfortunately, I'm not even ADEQUATE in Dutch! As most know, my darling wife is Dutch, and has been trying to get me to learn more. I even did a course at Uni for a year, but I just don't grasp languages like I did in my younger days. I am, however proficient at a few vital words, such as "bier"....

#1112110 - Tue Oct 13 2015 04:48 AM Re: Interview With Dalgleish
Santana2002 Offline
Forum Champion

Not even a blushing smiley or the slightest bit of embarrassment at being unable to converse with the in-laws of the Dutch friends??? grin Then again, they all are so good at English, and love practicing or perfecting it on us, that it makes it hard to tough it out and insist on Dutch...

#1112939 - Wed Oct 21 2015 08:48 PM Re: Interview With Dalgleish
Jakeroo Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Alberta Canada
Santana wins! smile

#1113006 - Thu Oct 22 2015 10:33 AM Re: Interview With Dalgleish
Santana2002 Offline
Forum Champion

Ren got there before me laugh

#1115227 - Sat Nov 07 2015 01:22 AM Re: Interview With Dalgleish
underscored Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Bendigo Victoria Australia   
I would not consider a "basement" to be any consideration when building a house in Australia. I do not know the reason, it sounds like a good idea to have an extra level in the house, especially underground.

#1115856 - Wed Nov 11 2015 10:27 PM Re: Interview With Dalgleish
Lones78 Offline
Prolific

Loc: Forrestfield Western Australia
Originally Posted By: underscored
I would not consider a "basement" to be any consideration when building a house in Australia. I do not know the reason, it sounds like a good idea to have an extra level in the house, especially underground.

And especially in the heat we have to deal with in some areas of Australia. I could do with a nice cool basement right about now...

#1121551 - Sun Jan 03 2016 06:22 AM Re: Interview With Dalgleish
Dalgleish Offline
Prolific

Good to get together with Ozzz on NYE. Sunk a few too many beers, did a trivia night badly, and regaled the assembled masses with our Karaoke skills (!). Should do it more often.

#1121616 - Sun Jan 03 2016 02:38 PM Re: Interview With Dalgleish
ozzz2002 Offline

Was a great night! Good to see you and Leau again after so many years...

#1128087 - Tue Mar 01 2016 05:23 AM Re: Interview With Dalgleish
Dalgleish Offline
Prolific

Originally Posted By: Santana2002
Not even a blushing smiley or the slightest bit of embarrassment at being unable to converse with the in-laws of the Dutch friends??? grin Then again, they all are so good at English, and love practicing or perfecting it on us, that it makes it hard to tough it out and insist on Dutch...

My father-in-law is always keen to try out his English, but my mother-in-law has no confidence in her English capabilities so conversations can be a little stilted at times. That said, you would struggle to find two nicer people.

Moderator:  rossian, sue943