Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#1134592 - Mon May 02 2016 03:15 PM Leicester City
wwe84 Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: New South Wales Australia
The fairytale of Leicester City 2015/2016 season is complete after Tottenham drew 2-2 all with Chelsea this morning to hand the Premier League Title to Leicester City

#1134613 - Tue May 03 2016 01:17 AM Re: Leicester City
C30 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Lancashire England UK         
Biggest "upset" in Premiership/1st Division since 1961-62 season IMO, when newly promoted Ipswich Town won it in their first ever season there. A huge and richly deserved success for Leicester City.

#1134620 - Tue May 03 2016 04:27 AM Re: Leicester City
rossian Offline

Loc: Merseyside UK 
Well done Leicester. I'm not really a football fan, but even I grasp the magnitude of the achievement and am glad about it.

#1134623 - Tue May 03 2016 05:47 AM Re: Leicester City
pmarney Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Norfolk England UK            
I love it when the underdog turns the cart upside down. Fighting against relegation last season, Champions this season.

A good day for Leicester all around with Mark Selby (from Leicester) winning the World Snooker championships as well.

#1134654 - Tue May 03 2016 04:16 PM Re: Leicester City
TabbyTom Offline

Loc: Hastings Sussex England UK    
I don't follow football. Indeed, I find it hard to take much interest in any professional game these days, since it is all so obviously a matter of "money going to money". For twenty years or so, millionaires and billionaires have been buying clubs and players, and the market has been dominated by Manchester United, Arsenal and Chelsea, with Manchester City muscling in during the last few years. That's why I find Leicester's achievement so welcome: it shows that, in an area where money seemed to reign unchallenged, the super-rich don't always prevail.

It would be nice to think that the power of money will be challenged in other areas as well, but we mustn't hope for too much, must we?

#1134680 - Wed May 04 2016 12:41 AM Re: Leicester City
dg_dave Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: near Stafford, Virginia USA  
Originally Posted By: TabbyTom
I don't follow football. Indeed, I find it hard to take much interest in any professional game these days, since it is all so obviously a matter of "money going to money". For twenty years or so, millionaires and billionaires have been buying clubs and players, and the market has been dominated by Manchester United, Arsenal and Chelsea, with Manchester City muscling in during the last few years. That's why I find Leicester's achievement so welcome: it shows that, in an area where money seemed to reign unchallenged, the super-rich don't always prevail.

It would be nice to think that the power of money will be challenged in other areas as well, but we mustn't hope for too much, must we?

It reminds me of the Yankees in baseball years ago. They'd buy the best players and win championship after championship. I love the fact that this year they are in the cellar and doing very poorly, despite having one of the highest payrolls out there!

Edited by dg_dave (Sat May 21 2016 07:51 PM)

#1158928 - Thu Feb 23 2017 05:17 PM Re: Leicester City
wwe84 Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: New South Wales Australia
Poor Claudio Ranieri 9 months ago he coached Leicester City to their first ever EPL title and now he has been sacked by Leicester City.

Moderator:  ozzz2002