Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#113531 - Thu Jan 03 2002 11:51 AM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
wimm Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Houtvenne Belgium            
quote:
What decision is that? The answer is Guinness my friend, Guinness.
In fact, I'm fairly sure that it's the answer to most of life's questions!!

Sorry to disappoint you: in fact the answer to the question about life, universe and everything is 42

If beer is your only concern, why not move to Belgium? We have over 500 different beers inhere, and I can assure you they're much better then Guiness.

For me, I would like to stay here, if you don't mind. I'm happy where I am, so no need to change the environment for me

#113532 - Thu Jan 03 2002 01:47 PM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
flem-ish Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Belgium
Hint to Wimm : why not lay out a special Beer Route for Fun Trivia Visitors to Belgium? I recommend Trappist Beer from the Westvleteren Abbey (to be bought from the Abbey itself, not available in shops).May be you could draw up an Antwerp
Bolleke Route??A Gouden Carolus Tour of Mechelen?A Duvel Trip ? A Forbidden Fruit Night Walk?
As to the merits of Guinness I think you should not overlook that the Guinness you can get in Belgium is not quite the same as what you get in Dublin. I for one would certainly not dare to underestimate the real Guinness stuff.
In England "Barley Wine Gold Label" seems to be the nearest to Belgian trappist.
And what about Flemish Stew in Brown Beer??Some chap from Watou wrote a brilliant "beer cookery book".

#113533 - Thu Jan 03 2002 01:59 PM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
flem-ish Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Belgium
By the way I agree with Wimm's choice of location , though
I would not mind staying abroad for "half years".Dublin would be first on my list.Six months New York does not sound like a punishment either. Yet,I guess that travelling in a motorhome probably comes closest to my real dreams..

#113534 - Thu Jan 03 2002 06:14 PM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
tanzen Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Melbourne
VIC Australia
Wimm - Nice One !! Every time I think about that book I feel this moving pity for the poor little robot - we have so much in common!

...Maybe someone should name a beer 42? Actually, the most clever thing to do would to start a company, call it "42", and just make everything. I can see it now: "The answer is......42!"

Anyway, I digress. Give me the name of a beer that your pretty sure you guys export to us guys, I'll check it out and give you an opinion. Anyone out there, actually. If you think you can better Guiness, drop me a PM (Or maybe we should start a thread ?) and I will continue my quest for the perfect ale....

#113535 - Thu Jan 03 2002 07:23 PM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
LordAndry Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Los Angeles California USA
I'm going to Disneyland!!!!

Heck, I love LA!!

'nough said!

#113536 - Thu Jan 03 2002 09:50 PM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
Exit10 Offline

Loc: Brisbane Queensland Australia
No you just love Lord Andry. I can see it now, Mickey and Minnie kneeling before you, Pluto chasing after you, Goofy trying to imitate you. You've never had so much bowing and scraping.

We have what are called 'The Grey Nomads' here, people who have retired, jumped in a campervan and decided they want to drive around Australia taking as long as they want. Most of them take around 12 months. That would be a pretty cool thing to do.

Where would I like to live? Somewhere that has the best restaurants in the world, great beaches, hot weather, bit o' culture, good music and then I will be happy. The non-negotiable is a power point or an inexhaustable supply of batteries for this beastie that I am typing on.

So if you can find me a place that has all that please let me know.

...and don't forget the beer.

Cheers

#113537 - Fri Jan 04 2002 06:20 AM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
DakotaNorth Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Philadelphia Pennsylvania USA
I'm going to have to pick two places. The first is Australia (Western Australia to be exact) and the second place is Kenya (Elsamere, Meru, Kora, or near Lake Victoria).

#113538 - Fri Jan 04 2002 03:58 PM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
LordAndry Offline
Multiloquent

Exit10, LA is the place for you...we got all that.
in spite of all the negative press, we are pretty cool.

Disney should bow to me.
They have most of my money.
The park annual pass...the souvenirs, pins, apparel.
movies and stuff...

#113539 - Sat Jan 05 2002 12:17 AM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
Exit10 Offline

Loc: Brisbane Queensland Australia
Dakota,

The top bit or the bottom bit? I lived in Perth for a while, a beautiful spot and got to see most of the south but I have no idea about the north. I expect it is something like the Territory.

I agree though, it is a lovely place. I just found that it was a bit difficult to get to see my folks on the eastern seaboard regularly without spending an arm and a leg.

Andry, I will gladly come to LA. If *you* live there then it can't be so bad. So long as I don't have to bow and scrape to you. You have to take pity on a poor antipodean such as myself.

Cheers

#113540 - Sat Jan 05 2002 08:34 AM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
DakotaNorth Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Philadelphia Pennsylvania USA
Exit10,

I would like to live in Perth, Melbourne, or Alice Springs. I also want to visit the Outback. Have you ever been to the Outback?

#113541 - Sat Jan 05 2002 08:37 AM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

Loc: California USA
I think Perth is my favorite city in Australia too. It's so charming and a liveable place to me. We spent a week there and went to Freemantle and other places around town.

#113542 - Sat Jan 05 2002 11:31 AM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
Anonymous
No longer registered

Bimini island is also a wonderful place; I would not mind staying there for a few years...

#113543 - Sat Jan 05 2002 02:34 PM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

Oh I hadn't seen my Belgian friends waxing poetic and Belgium is the only place I think I've ever enjoyed the beer so much. I have fond memories of Ghent and eating in the pubs with the kids. Seemed much friendlier to kids than French restaurants, they'd rather accept dogs than children anyhow!

#113544 - Sat Jan 05 2002 09:40 PM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
IndieQueen Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Pittsburgh Pennsylvania USA
I'd move to Ireland, no doubt about it. I'm half Irish and I'd just love to live there once in my life. I'd also love to live in Berkley for a while and go to college. Then I'd move to L.A. it's been my dream to live there since I was a kid. So, I guess I'll have to become a gypsy and just move around.

I guess I'm the only on here who doesn't like Guiness. The smell doesn't apeal to me too much.

[ 01-05-2002: Message edited by: IndieQueen ]

#113545 - Mon Jan 07 2002 01:45 PM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
LordAndry Offline
Multiloquent

if you want y'all are welcome to crash at my place if you wanna visit LA...or la la land, as I like to call it.

it's a place I would like to retire to someday.

#113546 - Tue Jan 08 2002 10:01 AM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
TemplarLLM Offline
Prolific

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I think you're already there LA, now settle down, it's time for your shots.

#113547 - Tue Jan 08 2002 01:46 PM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
LordAndry Offline
Multiloquent

Temp, I have no idea what you are talking about.

<The Lord heads for the hills!>

#113548 - Tue Jan 08 2002 04:03 PM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
blackmaggot Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Aberdeen-Scotland
There are some other places than the USA. Have anybody of you been in Greece? It's a nice place, not because it's my birthplace I would prefer Atlantis, I heard it was a heaven on earth. What? It's sunk? Oh well, then I have to accept the next best place. That's Edinburgh I love this city!

#113549 - Tue Jan 08 2002 07:17 PM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
gtho4 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Sydney oz downunder           
ela, milas ellinika?

#113550 - Tue Jan 15 2002 10:46 AM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
H-D Billder Offline
Participant

Loc: Suck Creek, Tennessee
I live in paradise.On the banks of the Tennessee River in the Gorge.There is a mountain directly across the river from me.Some of the best corn liquor made is made in these hills around me.I don't need a pub just a mason jar!There is a moritorium in place against any further building in the gorge.It will remain in effect till the next century.I have friends tell me "You live in a postcard" or "I vacation in places like where you live."
I lived in Oregon loved it but this here is where I want to be for the duration!

Bruyere,When and where did you live in Oregon?

[ 01-15-2002: Message edited by: H-D Billder ]

#113551 - Sat Jan 19 2002 09:45 AM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
LindaC007 Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: North Carolina USA
If I had all the money I've spent at Walt Diisney World, transportation to, hotel rooms, food, Mickey souvenirs, and Passes-why, I could probably have had a townhouse next to Elton John in Atlanta And a house on Daytona Beach!! I've Always wanted to visit Disneyland. I know someone who lives in a Castle in LA. I'll just show up with All my family including brothers, sister, in-laws, first, second third cousins, child, and husband. He'll be Glad to see us. Oh, and I'll bring my fish. It can swim in the moat.

#113552 - Mon Jan 21 2002 04:54 AM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

I've been pretty lucky to have lived in several of the places people dream about and others that people have mentioned here.
Tennessee is a great place really. For me America is best for its natural beauty, and I'm a mountain girl at heart. After all my first baby was born there during Elvis week, so if she's not a musician, it's not my fault. I have a fondness in my heart for the South, as the people who welcomed us were very kind. Southern hospitality is no joke!

Oregon? Newport mainly and then down by the border.
I could dig some of the clam chowder in Mo's right now!
Or banana cream pie. Or huckleberries if you can avoid the snakes slithering around under your boots.
Or up Depot Bay? Of course the problem with Oregon is you're either spotted owl or lumber industry up there, you have to choose your camp, seems to me.
And it rains quite a lot up there too!

Edinburgh is a lovely place, more pristeen than Glasgow, but Glasgow seems more real somehow. I lived there too but up on the firth of Forth in Crail a fishing village.

Greece. Yes I've been there too. Spent two weeks touring around with my husband and little girl. We were welcomed there too. Arahova was my favorite place near Delphi. It's just up high enough in the mountains for me.
I had to coax my daughter around museums and temples with the Little Mermaid stuff to interest her though. Not easy for a three year old. "Oh my, look Neptune is there. Wasn't that Ariel?"

#113553 - Wed Jan 23 2002 08:34 PM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
janie_eva02 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: British Columbia Canada
Japan! who would not want to live there?? advanced technology, anime!!!, and best of all--Jap food everywhere@!!!!!

#113554 - Thu Jan 24 2002 12:06 AM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
lincolnvailknowles Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Joplin, Missouri, USA
I think about this quite often. Okay, in the US I like Savannah, Georgia; St. Louis, Missouri; and Portland, Oregon. In Europe I like Amsterdam, Luxemburg City, and Whitby, England. In Asia I like Seoul. I'm watching the Australian Open, and Melbourne looks lovely.

As far as beer is concerned, the Belgians win hands down. But give be good old Budweiser, and you'll hear no complaints.

#113555 - Wed Jun 26 2002 09:00 AM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
Carolle Offline
Participant

I'd love to live in Juneau, Alaska. It's so beautiful, like a small town. And the weather is great, so cold, I love snow. A more conventional place..maybe Tijuana, Mexico. I'd be eating tacos and drinking Coronas and tequila all day long.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  bloomsby