Rules
Terms of Use

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#113556 - Sun Jul 28 2002 03:28 AM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
pia_fraus Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Estonia
I, too, would stay where I am - Estonia. Weather is not too hot or cold, the nature is beautiful, and people are nice. But what I love the most about my home town Tallinn is the Old Town - it really is awesome, even after all these years I've lived here. Another advantage of living in a small country is that when visiting a foreign country you have a secret language that no one understands!

#113557 - Thu Aug 01 2002 11:27 AM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
Sce Offline
Participant

Loc: Maryland,USA
Id have to say Florence, Italy....why? i love renassiance art

#113558 - Sat Aug 10 2002 02:51 AM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
sassy_suzi Offline
Participant

Loc: North West Arkansas, USA
The same island that Gillian was on..... I'd love to have the huts and wear dresses like Ginger... how original.....

#113559 - Sun Sep 01 2002 01:18 PM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
SillyLily Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Tennessee USA
Maine,on a beach,near a lifehouse. I've never even been there but I guess I have this image in my head about what it'd be like.I even wrote a story in my creative writing class about a girl and her cousin running away to Maine.

#113560 - Sat Sep 28 2002 04:23 PM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
jadranska Offline
Learning the ropes...

Jap is an insult. But I would love to live in Japan, i have my relatives. I just can't learn the language. I love beautiful accents..especially European! Maybe I'd live in Italy, I'm also part Italian. That's another language I can't learn though! It's way too hard for me. I guess I'll just have to stick to Slavic languages (and the U.S.) then.

#113561 - Sat Sep 28 2002 06:56 PM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
lefois Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kitimat BC 
Canada
I don't believe anyone mentioned Canada! However, though it's fine where I am (if you like tons of snow and freezing half the year)..........I would choose Australia. I would choose Perth, Australia! It is beautiful and clean and decent and some of the most wonderful folks I ever met in my lifetime hailed from there! I want to go! Now!

However, an elderly friend of mine once said to me, and I'll never forget it...."If you aren't happy where you are, you won't be happy anywhere."

#113562 - Tue Oct 01 2002 07:17 AM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
clematis Offline
Learning the ropes...

I would like to live in a place where the temperature is always between 15 and 30 degrees (above zero!), in a city as multicultural and multilingual as Brussels (I lived there for some time) and in a country as beautiful as Italy for instance (I lived there for a few months too)... Am I asking for too much?

#113563 - Mon Oct 07 2002 12:02 AM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
shadowhippie Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Texas USA
It would have to be a tropical island for me- untouched by man, unpoluted, totally pristine. No traffic, no cellphones, no politics...*sigh*

ShadowHippie

#113564 - Thu Apr 17 2003 01:19 PM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
glitteringgem Offline
Participant

Loc: Somewhere in Utah
If I could live anywhere in the world, I would want to live in many places. Like: *My first choice would be in England. They have really cool accents and if I went there I could use my fake accent.*My second choice would have to be Germany. Because I know a lot about the country and I am quite fluent in German.*My third choice would be New York City. Since I'm a small town girl I think it would be fun to go and live in a big city. I think the first thing I would do there is go to times square.***GlitteringGem ********************************************** ******************************** Die stadt ist wunderbar

Edited by Sue943 to correct pagewidth

Edited by sue943 (Fri Jun 20 2003 10:43 AM)

#113565 - Thu Apr 17 2003 02:32 PM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
bloomsby Offline

Loc: Norwich England UK            
Glitteringgem, how about opting for London? It combines all the advantages of your first choice with most of those of your third choice. The main disadvantage, though, is that living in Londong is horribly expensive ...

#113566 - Mon Apr 28 2003 07:31 PM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
glitteringgem Offline
Participant

Loc: Somewhere in Utah
That is actually a good idea, and London being expensive wouldn't bother me much because where I live everything is overly expensive.********GlitteringGem*************** How come everything tastes like chicken except chicken

#113567 - Thu May 01 2003 09:23 AM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
Geek Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Minnesota U.S.A.
Without a doubt, England.
I love London but I wouldn't want to live there because everything is so crowded and there is so much smoke and smog. (Compared to where I live in a small city in the American midwest.) Idealy I'd like to live in a middle sized city, within a train ride of London, in a little cottage with a huge garden.

Conversley I would HATE to live in any of the areas surrounding where I live now (in a river valley). I can't stand all that flatness as far as the eye can see, and the absence of trees. It makes me feel like I'm cut off from everything in the middle of nowhere. And the small towns give me the creeps.

#113568 - Thu May 01 2003 10:35 AM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
TabbyTom Offline

Loc: Hastings Sussex England UK    
Quote:

I love London but I wouldn't want to live there because everything is so crowded and there is so much smoke and smog.

I don't think we've had a smog in London since the 1950s. I've lived in London for more than thirty years and I can only remember three or four thick fogs, and they were quite natural ones. For a couple of years in my twenties I commuted up to London from the south coast, and in the autumn the air was often thick with fog on the coast and quite clear in London. That's not to say that the London air is clean (I believe the lead levels are pretty high), but it does look clean

On the other hand, public transport in London must be just about the worst in Europe, and it's getting worse all the time. If anything can persuade me to move out of London, it'll be the sheer aggravation of trying to get anywhere with London Transport.

#113569 - Thu May 01 2003 11:17 AM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
Geek Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Minnesota U.S.A.
I guess smog wasn't the word I was looking for, it's just that I found the car exhaust fumes/ ciggarette smoke to be very unpleasant.

On my first visit to London I experienced a fair amount of trouble with getting places. Mostly with finding a bus that was going where I wanted to go. I did get to see what the Underground looks like early on a weekday morning I was very surprised to see how many people can fit in one of those compartments. Still, I found it to be easier to get around London than it is to get around Minneapolis, because having to drive around there I often get totally lost and when I do find the place I am looking for then I can't find a decent place to park... I'd probably get very frusterated if I had to get around in London every day, going to and from work and other places, but for the time I was there I thought it was way better than driving.

#113570 - Thu May 01 2003 07:01 PM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
valois Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
Being a devout Francophile, my choice would be Paris, France, on the Champs Elysees.

Or maybe a villa in Provence.

#113571 - Fri May 02 2003 05:54 AM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
x_Ashi_x Offline
Explorer

Loc: Saturn
I would love to live in Hawaii or California. Mostly Hawaii because you don't have to deal with earthquakes, but you do have to deal with volcanoes and huricanes. I would really like to learn to surf so Hawaii or California would be the best choices.

#113572 - Fri May 02 2003 06:20 AM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
Tielhard Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Blackpool UK
Of the places I have visited the place I would most like to live is on the Western Coast of Scotland somewhere between Ullapool and Cape Wrath. It is not so rugged as the Central Highlands and not as cold as the East Coast. It is sheltered from the Atlantic by the Western Isles and from the cold Siberian winds by the rest of Scotland. There are many small coves with clear blue water. They often are surrounded by steep hills that are dotted with small cottages. I should like to live in one of those. The mountains behind me, and the facing the sea, perfect. I have absolutely no idea what I would do to support myself if I ever got a place there as it is very sparsely populated with absolutely no work for Engineers. Yet another reason for needing to win the Lottery!

Of the places I have seen only in my dreams or on the telly; Arakoa or the Coromandel in New Zealand. Very similar places to Western Scotland but, at least in the case of the Coromandel a lot warmer.

#113573 - Fri May 02 2003 07:56 AM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

Loc: California USA
I kind of prefer the East Coast having lived there, this summer I visited my cottage, my village, and it was like being home...

Wherever I live, there will have to be some mountains not too far though, I grew up amongst the trees, the Sequoias, and therefore, I'd feel homesick if I were too far from mountains..

Scotland's a wonderful place.

#113574 - Fri May 02 2003 08:27 AM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
Coolupway Offline
Prolific

I would like to have a little farm, with cows, and pigs and rabbits, where ya can live off the fat of the land...

Sorry. Someone beat me to that one.

#113575 - Fri May 02 2003 09:35 AM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
draculanut31 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Waterford New Jersey USA    
I would like to go back to Verona, Italy. I went there last year and just fell in love with the city. It had the small town feel even though it's a city. I would love to be where the only language spoken is Italian--maybe I'd actually learn how to speak the language!

Jadranska, what is it about Italian that is difficult? It's just a question of curiosity--I happen to find it an easy language, but my problem is that I have no one to talk to! No one in my family speaks it (even though my dad is a thoroughbred Italian) and none of my friends took to the language the way I did. I was the only one who learned it so quickly in my Italian class. My teacher awarded me the honor of having the highest average of the entire school--I guess it's just what you take to the quickest.

#113576 - Fri May 02 2003 05:11 PM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
DieHard Offline
Prolific

Loc: Louisiana USA
Norway, the beautiful snowy mountains, the northern lights, and I'd never have to lock my doors at night...

#113577 - Sun May 25 2003 08:33 AM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
Eraserhead Offline
Prolific

Loc: Outer Sydney NSW Australia    
Quote:

What decision is that? The answer is Guinness my friend, Guinness. In fact, I'm fairly sure that it's the answer to most of life's questions!!

Quote:

Sorry to disappoint you: in fact the answer to the question about life, universe and everything is 42

Wimm and Tanzen, the problem with Douglas Adams is that sometimes he doesn't finish things. The answer to Life, The Universe And Everything is.......42 pints of Guiness.

Edited by Exit10 (Mon May 26 2003 06:56 AM)

#113578 - Tue May 27 2003 03:52 AM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
damnsuicidalroos Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Sydney
NSW Australia
In Victoria about three hours drive from Melbourne there are a group of mountains named The Grampians.In The Grampians there is a tiny town, with one main street and few others, named Halls Gap.This is my ideal place to live and I,m pretty sure that I shall retire there someday,and positive that I shall buy a holiday house there soon.From about 5pm there are kangaroos in every street and other nocturnal wildlife.The walks[and you can access most of them from your house by foot]are interesting and the views spectacular.Creeks are plentiful as is birdlife[the noise of the birds coming home to roost is deafening].There is a large lake for boating activities,though power boats are not allowed,and the four wheel driving tracks are fun.Whilst there isn`t a pub there there is a nice place to have a quiet drink[Guiness preferably].It`s not anything like Sydney and there isn`t a beach nearby but it`s as close to my ideal place to live that I,ve seen yet.

#113579 - Tue May 27 2003 05:10 AM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
Bertho Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Queensland Australia
I'd like to live in the middle of 100 golden beaches far from the troubles of the world. Where everywhere is only 15 minutes away. A place where the three-month winter helps you sleep with a cool chill in the air and the days are warm and cloudless. Where the summer brings out a million bikinis and a nine-month party. I want rainforests to the north and south, tropical reefs to the east, a bay with two hundred deserted Islands to explore, a brewery called XXXX and a blues beating footy team. Somewhere where no one is in a real hurry and everyone say's 'she'll be right - we'll do it tomorrow.'

Lucky me, I don't have far to go..

#113580 - Wed May 28 2003 12:14 AM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
tanzen Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Melbourne
VIC Australia
Kevin, of course!

It all makes sense to me now!

I wonder if you'd have to have all 42 in one sitting, or if it can be spaced out? If it's all at once, maybe I'll have to organise a couple of days off waork...

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  bloomsby