Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#113506 - Tue Dec 11 2001 01:59 PM If you could live anywhere on the planet....
Ikabud Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: New York USA
If you could live anywhere in the world, other than where you live, where would it be and why?
I'd like to live in Bermuda.
The place is absolutely impeccable...
The closest thing to paradise on Earth, I have ever seen...

#113507 - Tue Dec 11 2001 04:37 PM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
tanzen Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Melbourne
VIC Australia
I'm going to totally cop out on this one and say I'd stay where I am. The weather I can deal with, some of the people are fantastic, I have a pub, and there's always something to do (If you wanna).
If I had to move, I'd probably go UK (don't make me be any more specific than that, although I'd probably have to say Ireland was my first preference. Come on, I go to an Irish pub - where else would I pick? )
Other than that, maybe Germany. Cold weather and fantastic accents - I think that's pretty much all I'm looking for in a country (oh, yes, and somewhere where the beer is good )

#113508 - Tue Dec 11 2001 04:50 PM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
Ikabud Offline
Forum Adept

Couldn't agree more about the beer, hic!
oops... Tough deciding between Guinness and
Dinkalaker though...

#113509 - Tue Dec 11 2001 04:58 PM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
tanzen Offline
Forum Champion

VIC Australia
What decision is that? The answer is Guinness my friend, Guinness.

In fact, I'm fairly sure that it's the answer to most of life's questions!!

#113510 - Tue Dec 11 2001 05:07 PM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
TabbyTom Offline

Loc: Hastings Sussex England UK    
London!

If I really wanted to live anywhere else, I'd have found some way to get there before now.

Yes, Dublin- brewed Guinness is a great drink, but so is the London-brewed bitter of Young's and Fuller's. And you can buy just about any drink you want here, including Dublin Guinness (in bottles, of course; not on draught) and various Belgian/Flemish brews like Chimay and Duvel and Hoegaarden. And the staff at a London wine merchant like El Vino or Berry Bros & Rudd will know a damn sight more about claret and burgundy than most of their French counterparts.

I've never been to Bermuda, Ikabud, and so I can't say for certain whether it's a paradise or not. But I rarely seem to read an account of a concert or opera performance there, and I can't imagine a paradise without some kind of civilised music.

Give me London any time - even though the public transport system is falling apart before our eyes.

#113511 - Tue Dec 11 2001 06:05 PM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
tanzen Offline
Forum Champion

VIC Australia
I met an English traveller one night (as I tend to ), and he spoke to me of Guinness.

He said this:
Australian Guinness is shite (doesn't suprise me, but I don't really have anything to compare it to, so it's okay by me!!)
English Guinness is nice
Irish Guinness is addictive

...now I must find this Irish Guinness - it is my quest!!

#113512 - Tue Dec 11 2001 07:41 PM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
LindaC007 Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: North Carolina USA
Well, I guess we are all pretty satisfied with our living arrangements, right? I would not want to live there, but I do love Daytona Beach, Florida. Where else can you find a Home-made Ice Cream Parlor next to an Irish Pub? And I love the beach and the ocean. But I get to missing being surrounded by mountains if I am away from here too long. There's No Place Like Home, I guess-if you are happy there, I guess. And I would love to visit England and see everything I have always heard so much about.

#113513 - Tue Dec 11 2001 11:31 PM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
tanzen Offline
Forum Champion

VIC Australia
Am I the only one who defines the quality of their living by the quality of the pubs in the vicinity?

#113514 - Wed Dec 12 2001 01:36 AM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
Ikabud Offline
Forum Adept

Tabby, I'm a London lad myself and i agree with you...
I lived there for 38 years and loved just about every minute... As for concerts, they're great but give me a beach barbie and Bob Marley on the cd player any day.
Tanzen... I also define my living surroundings by the nearby bars/pubs... There are some great ones very close by in Garden City, Long Island... And there's always Manhattan of course... But I still say, plenty of cold beer in Bermuda, a nice lap top so as i can still do quizzes...
Paradise on Earth...

#113515 - Wed Dec 12 2001 04:40 PM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
tanzen Offline
Forum Champion

VIC Australia
Nice work, kids !!

#113516 - Thu Dec 13 2001 12:27 AM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
Tanzen, nope I can put my hand up, pubs are an important part of anywhere that I've lived. I once took a summer job for a SECOND summer in a row just because of the pub nearby, the job wasn't so crash hot but, man, that pub was. I actually got where I am now because my friend's father bought the local pub so I came out for a good looooong look, eight years ago. But that was in my young days (I'm all of 30)and now it's not so important, but I'm not sure what has replaced it but whatever it is we don't have it!

Now Guinness, what can I say... I was in Ireland for eight months and partook in the odd bevvy or two. It takes a little getting used to but once you get the taste that's the end of it... you're hooked! But it does lead to nasty hangovers and a smell that a couple of showers has trouble getting rid of.

As for where I would like to live... I love the station (farm/ranch) where we are but would like it to be nearer a civilised town and in a cooler environment.

#113517 - Thu Dec 13 2001 07:06 AM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
LindaC007 Offline
Multiloquent

Ah, Ikabud? Is it OK to pick out two places, because I would not only love to have a Big house on Daytona Beach, I think a nice townhouse on Peachtree Street (near Elton John's) would be great. It is a lovely street, carriages going past, the Fox Theater is there. I am very sorry I cannot offer an opinion on the Atlanta pubs, I have only been down to go to the theater-But, I do know where you can get a great plate of pasta, well, if anybody gets hungry. And, while I am accumlating houses here, I think I may as well get a Condo in Orlando-next door to Disney World since I am down there so much Mickey knows my first name.

#113518 - Thu Dec 13 2001 11:25 AM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
thejazzkickazz Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Utah USA
I'm pretty happy here in Berkeley, I think I'll stay...now, only if the housing prices weren't so damned high! I suppose I could also live in San Francisco itself if someone twisted my arm. I'd also be willing to in Florence, near all the art...and Paris, if I could live *in* the Louvre...

As for where I wouldn't want to live...that would be Salt Lake City. You'll just have to go and live there to understand...

#113519 - Fri Dec 14 2001 12:39 AM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

Loc: California
Funny someone just asked me this about three hours ago...I couldn't really say. I know where I don't want to live, but as I've lived in 20 places (literally) in my life, I'm pretty sure the sort of things I'd like and dislike and it doesn't matter what country I find them in. Strange huh?
I'm rarely a stranger in a strange land somehow.
I've lived in a seventeenth century Scottish fisherman's cottage in Crail (Scotland's most photographed village) with a ghost. I've lived in Hawaii. I've lived in several places in California and the climate is one of the things I like in the North. I like mountains not too far and valley too. I like the foothills of California as well.
I've lived in the South of France, the Alsace Lorraine region and the Alps. I'm not fond of snow.
I've lived in the South, in Memphis Tennessee, the climate doesn't really suit me but there were some great things about it. I've lived in on the East Coast too, in Pennsylvania. I've lived in the Midwest in Indiana. I've traveled extensively through most regions of the country, I'm only missing a few States.
If I said that it would not matter as long as it wasn't too too cold (my body tends to go into hyperdrive and wants to eat sweets and carbohydrates like my pioneer ancestors in North Dakota) and I hate driving on snow. I did it for years and hated it. Even with a four by four, you can't trust the others to be as careful.
The sea shouldn't be too far. Or the ocean.
I've also lived in Oregon and Montana, I forgot!
So here in France I feel at home with the wind in my hair around Avignon, and in the Sacramento Valley or San Joaquin where I was born, with nature around me.
I like cities but medium size.
I would like a stone village here if possible, with a medium size town not too far.
I'm hard to please you think?

#113520 - Thu Dec 13 2001 06:40 PM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
tanzen Offline
Forum Champion

VIC Australia
Send me somewhere where the weather is constantly 17 degrees (celsius), the beer is cold, the pool tables are free, the music is good and the folks are open-minded. And you thought you were difficult to please, Heather!
PS - A place with accents wouldn't go astray either - any suggestions?

#113521 - Fri Dec 14 2001 07:50 PM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
LindaC007 Offline
Multiloquent

Jazz, I see that you used to live in Salt Lake and you sound very happy in Berkley. Heather has lived many places. It would be interesting to see how many people still lived in the area they were born in, wouldn't it?

#113522 - Fri Dec 14 2001 09:33 PM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
thejazzkickazz Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Utah USA
Interesting question Linda...I would personally recommend that everyone at least try to live in another place other than their birthplace for at least a couple years! If you really love that birthplace, by all means move back eventually...but you only have one life...sample a little.

I've lived in Salt Lake, St. George Utah (southern), San Diego, Berkeley, NYC, New Jersey and Taiwan...I think that's a decent sampling, but I probably will sample a little more before my time expires...

#113523 - Sat Dec 15 2001 02:51 AM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

In France most people live in the place they were born. If they have to look for work even an hour away they flip out!

I remember saying that we'd come back to France to be a bit closer to my in laws, and we'd been in Indiana prior to that, and the French people there in Strasbourg said, "yes but you're still 9 hours away!"

When Templar gets back we'll see what he thinks, I think he and I have a record for moving.

Linda, I suppose it's like what I once said, you sometimes wish you could click your ruby slippers together and go home. For me California is pretty much home, and anything that resembles it a bit in terrain and climate appeals to me. Mountains and sea close together.
And if I find the same things in another place, I'm fine.

The one thing that makes a difference to me in any place I'm in, is LIGHT!
I can find good people anywhere on the face of the Earth, but in general I think I'd be uncomfortable in a place or climate where people were closed in or worse yet, snobs!

#113524 - Sat Dec 15 2001 02:52 AM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

In France most people live in the place they were born. If they have to look for work even an hour away they flip out!

I remember saying that we'd come back to France to be a bit closer to my in laws, and we'd been in Indiana prior to that, and the French people there in Strasbourg said, "yes but you're still 9 hours away!"

When Templar gets back we'll see what he thinks, I think he and I have a record for moving.

Linda, I suppose it's like what I once said, you sometimes wish you could click your ruby slippers together and go home. For me California is pretty much home, and anything that resembles it a bit in terrain and climate appeals to me. Mountains and sea close together.
And if I find the same things in another place, I'm fine.

The one thing that makes a difference to me in any place I'm in, is LIGHT!
I can find good people anywhere on the face of the Earth, but in general I think I'd be uncomfortable in a place or climate where people were closed in or worse yet, snobs!

#113525 - Mon Dec 31 2001 04:55 PM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
LilSpikey Offline
Mainstay

I would want to live in England.

#113526 - Mon Dec 31 2001 08:15 PM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
Anonymous
No longer registered

What about a private island- like Molokai?

#113527 - Tue Jan 01 2002 10:35 AM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

Molokai isn't private, it's Lanai, but Molokai is a lovely island. I think that when I went island hopping during my stay (if you had a state ID, it was dirt cheap then off season) I found they all had their own flavor. Molokai was kind of country style. There are only about three restaurants and a couple of luxury hotels and one or two normal places. It's quiet! Proffy if that doesn't bother you, you'd be fine there.
Lanai is privately owned and only people born there or working for the company can go there.

#113528 - Wed Jan 02 2002 10:58 AM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
gillyharold Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Davison Michigan USA          
Bermuda the most beautiful place in the world. Fell in love when we layed over for a day on our way to Lybia back in 1957 when I was in the air force. The place is absoutley beautiful. My second choice would have to be right where I'm at right now and that is Michigan, you get up in the top half of the lower peninsular and it doesn't get any better.

#113529 - Wed Jan 02 2002 02:15 PM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
FallAir Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Denver Colorado USA          
I would like to live in some country village in England. The British accent drives me crazy. I could listen to Brits talk all day long and never grow tired of it. But I dont know if I could live there forever I think after awhile I would have to move back to Colorado. No matter where I go I always find myself wanting to return to Colorado at some point. In my short time on earth so far I have been to quite a few places but home will always be Denver Colorado.

#113530 - Thu Jan 03 2002 10:14 AM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
LindaC007 Offline
Multiloquent

FallAir, I was lined-up at Disney World one day and realized the guy ahead of me was from London, the family behind me was from Australia, and the couple behind them was from Scotland. I just asked if they were all having a good time over here. We just all chatted away and the line seemed so move really fast. There are always a lot of Brits down there when I've been there. I always ask how they're doing because I really want people coming over here to have a good time. I think my accent is somthng new to them, being a Southen-Mountain verison of English.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  bloomsby