Rules
Terms of Use

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#113506 - Tue Dec 11 2001 01:59 PM If you could live anywhere on the planet....
Ikabud Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: New York USA
If you could live anywhere in the world, other than where you live, where would it be and why?
I'd like to live in Bermuda.
The place is absolutely impeccable...
The closest thing to paradise on Earth, I have ever seen...

#113507 - Tue Dec 11 2001 04:37 PM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
tanzen Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Melbourne
VIC Australia
I'm going to totally cop out on this one and say I'd stay where I am. The weather I can deal with, some of the people are fantastic, I have a pub, and there's always something to do (If you wanna).
If I had to move, I'd probably go UK (don't make me be any more specific than that, although I'd probably have to say Ireland was my first preference. Come on, I go to an Irish pub - where else would I pick? )
Other than that, maybe Germany. Cold weather and fantastic accents - I think that's pretty much all I'm looking for in a country (oh, yes, and somewhere where the beer is good )

#113508 - Tue Dec 11 2001 04:50 PM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
Ikabud Offline
Forum Adept

Couldn't agree more about the beer, hic!
oops... Tough deciding between Guinness and
Dinkalaker though...

#113509 - Tue Dec 11 2001 04:58 PM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
tanzen Offline
Forum Champion

VIC Australia
What decision is that? The answer is Guinness my friend, Guinness.

In fact, I'm fairly sure that it's the answer to most of life's questions!!

#113510 - Tue Dec 11 2001 05:07 PM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
TabbyTom Offline

Loc: Hastings Sussex England UK    
London!

If I really wanted to live anywhere else, I'd have found some way to get there before now.

Yes, Dublin- brewed Guinness is a great drink, but so is the London-brewed bitter of Young's and Fuller's. And you can buy just about any drink you want here, including Dublin Guinness (in bottles, of course; not on draught) and various Belgian/Flemish brews like Chimay and Duvel and Hoegaarden. And the staff at a London wine merchant like El Vino or Berry Bros & Rudd will know a damn sight more about claret and burgundy than most of their French counterparts.

I've never been to Bermuda, Ikabud, and so I can't say for certain whether it's a paradise or not. But I rarely seem to read an account of a concert or opera performance there, and I can't imagine a paradise without some kind of civilised music.

Give me London any time - even though the public transport system is falling apart before our eyes.

#113511 - Tue Dec 11 2001 06:05 PM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
tanzen Offline
Forum Champion

VIC Australia
I met an English traveller one night (as I tend to ), and he spoke to me of Guinness.

He said this:
Australian Guinness is shite (doesn't suprise me, but I don't really have anything to compare it to, so it's okay by me!!)
English Guinness is nice
Irish Guinness is addictive

...now I must find this Irish Guinness - it is my quest!!

#113512 - Tue Dec 11 2001 07:41 PM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
LindaC007 Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: North Carolina USA
Well, I guess we are all pretty satisfied with our living arrangements, right? I would not want to live there, but I do love Daytona Beach, Florida. Where else can you find a Home-made Ice Cream Parlor next to an Irish Pub? And I love the beach and the ocean. But I get to missing being surrounded by mountains if I am away from here too long. There's No Place Like Home, I guess-if you are happy there, I guess. And I would love to visit England and see everything I have always heard so much about.

#113513 - Tue Dec 11 2001 11:31 PM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
tanzen Offline
Forum Champion

VIC Australia
Am I the only one who defines the quality of their living by the quality of the pubs in the vicinity?

#113514 - Wed Dec 12 2001 01:36 AM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
Ikabud Offline
Forum Adept

Tabby, I'm a London lad myself and i agree with you...
I lived there for 38 years and loved just about every minute... As for concerts, they're great but give me a beach barbie and Bob Marley on the cd player any day.
Tanzen... I also define my living surroundings by the nearby bars/pubs... There are some great ones very close by in Garden City, Long Island... And there's always Manhattan of course... But I still say, plenty of cold beer in Bermuda, a nice lap top so as i can still do quizzes...
Paradise on Earth...

#113515 - Wed Dec 12 2001 04:40 PM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
tanzen Offline
Forum Champion

VIC Australia
Nice work, kids !!

#113516 - Thu Dec 13 2001 12:27 AM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
Tanzen, nope I can put my hand up, pubs are an important part of anywhere that I've lived. I once took a summer job for a SECOND summer in a row just because of the pub nearby, the job wasn't so crash hot but, man, that pub was. I actually got where I am now because my friend's father bought the local pub so I came out for a good looooong look, eight years ago. But that was in my young days (I'm all of 30)and now it's not so important, but I'm not sure what has replaced it but whatever it is we don't have it!

Now Guinness, what can I say... I was in Ireland for eight months and partook in the odd bevvy or two. It takes a little getting used to but once you get the taste that's the end of it... you're hooked! But it does lead to nasty hangovers and a smell that a couple of showers has trouble getting rid of.

As for where I would like to live... I love the station (farm/ranch) where we are but would like it to be nearer a civilised town and in a cooler environment.

#113517 - Thu Dec 13 2001 07:06 AM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
LindaC007 Offline
Multiloquent

Ah, Ikabud? Is it OK to pick out two places, because I would not only love to have a Big house on Daytona Beach, I think a nice townhouse on Peachtree Street (near Elton John's) would be great. It is a lovely street, carriages going past, the Fox Theater is there. I am very sorry I cannot offer an opinion on the Atlanta pubs, I have only been down to go to the theater-But, I do know where you can get a great plate of pasta, well, if anybody gets hungry. And, while I am accumlating houses here, I think I may as well get a Condo in Orlando-next door to Disney World since I am down there so much Mickey knows my first name.

#113518 - Thu Dec 13 2001 11:25 AM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
thejazzkickazz Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Utah USA
I'm pretty happy here in Berkeley, I think I'll stay...now, only if the housing prices weren't so damned high! I suppose I could also live in San Francisco itself if someone twisted my arm. I'd also be willing to in Florence, near all the art...and Paris, if I could live *in* the Louvre...

As for where I wouldn't want to live...that would be Salt Lake City. You'll just have to go and live there to understand...

#113519 - Fri Dec 14 2001 12:39 AM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

Loc: California USA
Funny someone just asked me this about three hours ago...I couldn't really say. I know where I don't want to live, but as I've lived in 20 places (literally) in my life, I'm pretty sure the sort of things I'd like and dislike and it doesn't matter what country I find them in. Strange huh?
I'm rarely a stranger in a strange land somehow.
I've lived in a seventeenth century Scottish fisherman's cottage in Crail (Scotland's most photographed village) with a ghost. I've lived in Hawaii. I've lived in several places in California and the climate is one of the things I like in the North. I like mountains not too far and valley too. I like the foothills of California as well.
I've lived in the South of France, the Alsace Lorraine region and the Alps. I'm not fond of snow.
I've lived in the South, in Memphis Tennessee, the climate doesn't really suit me but there were some great things about it. I've lived in on the East Coast too, in Pennsylvania. I've lived in the Midwest in Indiana. I've traveled extensively through most regions of the country, I'm only missing a few States.
If I said that it would not matter as long as it wasn't too too cold (my body tends to go into hyperdrive and wants to eat sweets and carbohydrates like my pioneer ancestors in North Dakota) and I hate driving on snow. I did it for years and hated it. Even with a four by four, you can't trust the others to be as careful.
The sea shouldn't be too far. Or the ocean.
I've also lived in Oregon and Montana, I forgot!
So here in France I feel at home with the wind in my hair around Avignon, and in the Sacramento Valley or San Joaquin where I was born, with nature around me.
I like cities but medium size.
I would like a stone village here if possible, with a medium size town not too far.
I'm hard to please you think?

#113520 - Thu Dec 13 2001 06:40 PM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
tanzen Offline
Forum Champion

VIC Australia
Send me somewhere where the weather is constantly 17 degrees (celsius), the beer is cold, the pool tables are free, the music is good and the folks are open-minded. And you thought you were difficult to please, Heather!
PS - A place with accents wouldn't go astray either - any suggestions?

#113521 - Fri Dec 14 2001 07:50 PM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
LindaC007 Offline
Multiloquent

Jazz, I see that you used to live in Salt Lake and you sound very happy in Berkley. Heather has lived many places. It would be interesting to see how many people still lived in the area they were born in, wouldn't it?

#113522 - Fri Dec 14 2001 09:33 PM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
thejazzkickazz Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Utah USA
Interesting question Linda...I would personally recommend that everyone at least try to live in another place other than their birthplace for at least a couple years! If you really love that birthplace, by all means move back eventually...but you only have one life...sample a little.

I've lived in Salt Lake, St. George Utah (southern), San Diego, Berkeley, NYC, New Jersey and Taiwan...I think that's a decent sampling, but I probably will sample a little more before my time expires...

#113523 - Sat Dec 15 2001 02:51 AM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

In France most people live in the place they were born. If they have to look for work even an hour away they flip out!

I remember saying that we'd come back to France to be a bit closer to my in laws, and we'd been in Indiana prior to that, and the French people there in Strasbourg said, "yes but you're still 9 hours away!"

When Templar gets back we'll see what he thinks, I think he and I have a record for moving.

Linda, I suppose it's like what I once said, you sometimes wish you could click your ruby slippers together and go home. For me California is pretty much home, and anything that resembles it a bit in terrain and climate appeals to me. Mountains and sea close together.
And if I find the same things in another place, I'm fine.

The one thing that makes a difference to me in any place I'm in, is LIGHT!
I can find good people anywhere on the face of the Earth, but in general I think I'd be uncomfortable in a place or climate where people were closed in or worse yet, snobs!

#113524 - Sat Dec 15 2001 02:52 AM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

In France most people live in the place they were born. If they have to look for work even an hour away they flip out!

I remember saying that we'd come back to France to be a bit closer to my in laws, and we'd been in Indiana prior to that, and the French people there in Strasbourg said, "yes but you're still 9 hours away!"

When Templar gets back we'll see what he thinks, I think he and I have a record for moving.

Linda, I suppose it's like what I once said, you sometimes wish you could click your ruby slippers together and go home. For me California is pretty much home, and anything that resembles it a bit in terrain and climate appeals to me. Mountains and sea close together.
And if I find the same things in another place, I'm fine.

The one thing that makes a difference to me in any place I'm in, is LIGHT!
I can find good people anywhere on the face of the Earth, but in general I think I'd be uncomfortable in a place or climate where people were closed in or worse yet, snobs!

#113525 - Mon Dec 31 2001 04:55 PM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
LilSpikey Offline
Mainstay

I would want to live in England.

#113526 - Mon Dec 31 2001 08:15 PM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
Anonymous
No longer registered

What about a private island- like Molokai?

#113527 - Tue Jan 01 2002 10:35 AM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

Molokai isn't private, it's Lanai, but Molokai is a lovely island. I think that when I went island hopping during my stay (if you had a state ID, it was dirt cheap then off season) I found they all had their own flavor. Molokai was kind of country style. There are only about three restaurants and a couple of luxury hotels and one or two normal places. It's quiet! Proffy if that doesn't bother you, you'd be fine there.
Lanai is privately owned and only people born there or working for the company can go there.

#113528 - Wed Jan 02 2002 10:58 AM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
gillyharold Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Michigan USA
Bermuda the most beautiful place in the world. Fell in love when we layed over for a day on our way to Lybia back in 1957 when I was in the air force. The place is absoutley beautiful. My second choice would have to be right where I'm at right now and that is Michigan, you get up in the top half of the lower peninsular and it doesn't get any better.

#113529 - Wed Jan 02 2002 02:15 PM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
FallAir Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Denver Colorado USA          
I would like to live in some country village in England. The British accent drives me crazy. I could listen to Brits talk all day long and never grow tired of it. But I dont know if I could live there forever I think after awhile I would have to move back to Colorado. No matter where I go I always find myself wanting to return to Colorado at some point. In my short time on earth so far I have been to quite a few places but home will always be Denver Colorado.

#113530 - Thu Jan 03 2002 10:14 AM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
LindaC007 Offline
Multiloquent

FallAir, I was lined-up at Disney World one day and realized the guy ahead of me was from London, the family behind me was from Australia, and the couple behind them was from Scotland. I just asked if they were all having a good time over here. We just all chatted away and the line seemed so move really fast. There are always a lot of Brits down there when I've been there. I always ask how they're doing because I really want people coming over here to have a good time. I think my accent is somthng new to them, being a Southen-Mountain verison of English.

#113531 - Thu Jan 03 2002 11:51 AM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
wimm Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Houtvenne Belgium            
quote:
What decision is that? The answer is Guinness my friend, Guinness.
In fact, I'm fairly sure that it's the answer to most of life's questions!!

Sorry to disappoint you: in fact the answer to the question about life, universe and everything is 42

If beer is your only concern, why not move to Belgium? We have over 500 different beers inhere, and I can assure you they're much better then Guiness.

For me, I would like to stay here, if you don't mind. I'm happy where I am, so no need to change the environment for me

#113532 - Thu Jan 03 2002 01:47 PM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
flem-ish Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Belgium
Hint to Wimm : why not lay out a special Beer Route for Fun Trivia Visitors to Belgium? I recommend Trappist Beer from the Westvleteren Abbey (to be bought from the Abbey itself, not available in shops).May be you could draw up an Antwerp
Bolleke Route??A Gouden Carolus Tour of Mechelen?A Duvel Trip ? A Forbidden Fruit Night Walk?
As to the merits of Guinness I think you should not overlook that the Guinness you can get in Belgium is not quite the same as what you get in Dublin. I for one would certainly not dare to underestimate the real Guinness stuff.
In England "Barley Wine Gold Label" seems to be the nearest to Belgian trappist.
And what about Flemish Stew in Brown Beer??Some chap from Watou wrote a brilliant "beer cookery book".

#113533 - Thu Jan 03 2002 01:59 PM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
flem-ish Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Belgium
By the way I agree with Wimm's choice of location , though
I would not mind staying abroad for "half years".Dublin would be first on my list.Six months New York does not sound like a punishment either. Yet,I guess that travelling in a motorhome probably comes closest to my real dreams..

#113534 - Thu Jan 03 2002 06:14 PM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
tanzen Offline
Forum Champion

VIC Australia
Wimm - Nice One !! Every time I think about that book I feel this moving pity for the poor little robot - we have so much in common!

...Maybe someone should name a beer 42? Actually, the most clever thing to do would to start a company, call it "42", and just make everything. I can see it now: "The answer is......42!"

Anyway, I digress. Give me the name of a beer that your pretty sure you guys export to us guys, I'll check it out and give you an opinion. Anyone out there, actually. If you think you can better Guiness, drop me a PM (Or maybe we should start a thread ?) and I will continue my quest for the perfect ale....

#113535 - Thu Jan 03 2002 07:23 PM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
LordAndry Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Los Angeles
California USA
I'm going to Disneyland!!!!

Heck, I love LA!!

'nough said!

#113536 - Thu Jan 03 2002 09:50 PM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
Exit10 Offline

Loc: Brisbane Queensland Australia
No you just love Lord Andry. I can see it now, Mickey and Minnie kneeling before you, Pluto chasing after you, Goofy trying to imitate you. You've never had so much bowing and scraping.

We have what are called 'The Grey Nomads' here, people who have retired, jumped in a campervan and decided they want to drive around Australia taking as long as they want. Most of them take around 12 months. That would be a pretty cool thing to do.

Where would I like to live? Somewhere that has the best restaurants in the world, great beaches, hot weather, bit o' culture, good music and then I will be happy. The non-negotiable is a power point or an inexhaustable supply of batteries for this beastie that I am typing on.

So if you can find me a place that has all that please let me know.

...and don't forget the beer.

Cheers

#113537 - Fri Jan 04 2002 06:20 AM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
DakotaNorth Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Philadelphia Pennsylvania USA
I'm going to have to pick two places. The first is Australia (Western Australia to be exact) and the second place is Kenya (Elsamere, Meru, Kora, or near Lake Victoria).

#113538 - Fri Jan 04 2002 03:58 PM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
LordAndry Offline
Multiloquent

California USA
Exit10, LA is the place for you...we got all that.
in spite of all the negative press, we are pretty cool.

Disney should bow to me.
They have most of my money.
The park annual pass...the souvenirs, pins, apparel.
movies and stuff...

#113539 - Sat Jan 05 2002 12:17 AM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
Exit10 Offline

Dakota,

The top bit or the bottom bit? I lived in Perth for a while, a beautiful spot and got to see most of the south but I have no idea about the north. I expect it is something like the Territory.

I agree though, it is a lovely place. I just found that it was a bit difficult to get to see my folks on the eastern seaboard regularly without spending an arm and a leg.

Andry, I will gladly come to LA. If *you* live there then it can't be so bad. So long as I don't have to bow and scrape to you. You have to take pity on a poor antipodean such as myself.

Cheers

#113540 - Sat Jan 05 2002 08:34 AM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
DakotaNorth Offline
Forum Champion

Exit10,

I would like to live in Perth, Melbourne, or Alice Springs. I also want to visit the Outback. Have you ever been to the Outback?

#113541 - Sat Jan 05 2002 08:37 AM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

I think Perth is my favorite city in Australia too. It's so charming and a liveable place to me. We spent a week there and went to Freemantle and other places around town.

#113542 - Sat Jan 05 2002 11:31 AM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
Anonymous
No longer registered

Bimini island is also a wonderful place; I would not mind staying there for a few years...

#113543 - Sat Jan 05 2002 02:34 PM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

Oh I hadn't seen my Belgian friends waxing poetic and Belgium is the only place I think I've ever enjoyed the beer so much. I have fond memories of Ghent and eating in the pubs with the kids. Seemed much friendlier to kids than French restaurants, they'd rather accept dogs than children anyhow!

#113544 - Sat Jan 05 2002 09:40 PM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
IndieQueen Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania USA
I'd move to Ireland, no doubt about it. I'm half Irish and I'd just love to live there once in my life. I'd also love to live in Berkley for a while and go to college. Then I'd move to L.A. it's been my dream to live there since I was a kid. So, I guess I'll have to become a gypsy and just move around.

I guess I'm the only on here who doesn't like Guiness. The smell doesn't apeal to me too much.

[ 01-05-2002: Message edited by: IndieQueen ]

#113545 - Mon Jan 07 2002 01:45 PM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
LordAndry Offline
Multiloquent

California USA
if you want y'all are welcome to crash at my place if you wanna visit LA...or la la land, as I like to call it.

it's a place I would like to retire to someday.

#113546 - Tue Jan 08 2002 10:01 AM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
TemplarLLM Offline
Prolific

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I think you're already there LA, now settle down, it's time for your shots.

#113547 - Tue Jan 08 2002 01:46 PM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
LordAndry Offline
Multiloquent

California USA
Temp, I have no idea what you are talking about.

<The Lord heads for the hills!>

#113548 - Tue Jan 08 2002 04:03 PM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
blackmaggot Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Aberdeen-Scotland
There are some other places than the USA. Have anybody of you been in Greece? It's a nice place, not because it's my birthplace I would prefer Atlantis, I heard it was a heaven on earth. What? It's sunk? Oh well, then I have to accept the next best place. That's Edinburgh I love this city!

#113549 - Tue Jan 08 2002 07:17 PM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
gtho4 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Sydney oz downunder           
ela, milas ellinika?

#113550 - Tue Jan 15 2002 10:46 AM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
H-D Billder Offline
Participant

Loc: Suck Creek, Tennessee
I live in paradise.On the banks of the Tennessee River in the Gorge.There is a mountain directly across the river from me.Some of the best corn liquor made is made in these hills around me.I don't need a pub just a mason jar!There is a moritorium in place against any further building in the gorge.It will remain in effect till the next century.I have friends tell me "You live in a postcard" or "I vacation in places like where you live."
I lived in Oregon loved it but this here is where I want to be for the duration!

Bruyere,When and where did you live in Oregon?

[ 01-15-2002: Message edited by: H-D Billder ]

#113551 - Sat Jan 19 2002 09:45 AM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
LindaC007 Offline
Multiloquent

If I had all the money I've spent at Walt Diisney World, transportation to, hotel rooms, food, Mickey souvenirs, and Passes-why, I could probably have had a townhouse next to Elton John in Atlanta And a house on Daytona Beach!! I've Always wanted to visit Disneyland. I know someone who lives in a Castle in LA. I'll just show up with All my family including brothers, sister, in-laws, first, second third cousins, child, and husband. He'll be Glad to see us. Oh, and I'll bring my fish. It can swim in the moat.

#113552 - Mon Jan 21 2002 04:54 AM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

I've been pretty lucky to have lived in several of the places people dream about and others that people have mentioned here.
Tennessee is a great place really. For me America is best for its natural beauty, and I'm a mountain girl at heart. After all my first baby was born there during Elvis week, so if she's not a musician, it's not my fault. I have a fondness in my heart for the South, as the people who welcomed us were very kind. Southern hospitality is no joke!

Oregon? Newport mainly and then down by the border.
I could dig some of the clam chowder in Mo's right now!
Or banana cream pie. Or huckleberries if you can avoid the snakes slithering around under your boots.
Or up Depot Bay? Of course the problem with Oregon is you're either spotted owl or lumber industry up there, you have to choose your camp, seems to me.
And it rains quite a lot up there too!

Edinburgh is a lovely place, more pristeen than Glasgow, but Glasgow seems more real somehow. I lived there too but up on the firth of Forth in Crail a fishing village.

Greece. Yes I've been there too. Spent two weeks touring around with my husband and little girl. We were welcomed there too. Arahova was my favorite place near Delphi. It's just up high enough in the mountains for me.
I had to coax my daughter around museums and temples with the Little Mermaid stuff to interest her though. Not easy for a three year old. "Oh my, look Neptune is there. Wasn't that Ariel?"

#113553 - Wed Jan 23 2002 08:34 PM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
janie_eva02 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: British Columbia Canada
Japan! who would not want to live there?? advanced technology, anime!!!, and best of all--Jap food everywhere@!!!!!

#113554 - Thu Jan 24 2002 12:06 AM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
lincolnvailknowles Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Joplin, Missouri, USA
I think about this quite often. Okay, in the US I like Savannah, Georgia; St. Louis, Missouri; and Portland, Oregon. In Europe I like Amsterdam, Luxemburg City, and Whitby, England. In Asia I like Seoul. I'm watching the Australian Open, and Melbourne looks lovely.

As far as beer is concerned, the Belgians win hands down. But give be good old Budweiser, and you'll hear no complaints.

#113555 - Wed Jun 26 2002 09:00 AM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
Carolle Offline
Participant

I'd love to live in Juneau, Alaska. It's so beautiful, like a small town. And the weather is great, so cold, I love snow. A more conventional place..maybe Tijuana, Mexico. I'd be eating tacos and drinking Coronas and tequila all day long.

#113556 - Sun Jul 28 2002 03:28 AM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
pia_fraus Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Estonia
I, too, would stay where I am - Estonia. Weather is not too hot or cold, the nature is beautiful, and people are nice. But what I love the most about my home town Tallinn is the Old Town - it really is awesome, even after all these years I've lived here. Another advantage of living in a small country is that when visiting a foreign country you have a secret language that no one understands!

#113557 - Thu Aug 01 2002 11:27 AM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
Sce Offline
Participant

Loc: Maryland,USA
Id have to say Florence, Italy....why? i love renassiance art

#113558 - Sat Aug 10 2002 02:51 AM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
sassy_suzi Offline
Participant

Loc: North West Arkansas, USA
The same island that Gillian was on..... I'd love to have the huts and wear dresses like Ginger... how original.....

#113559 - Sun Sep 01 2002 01:18 PM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
SillyLily Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Tennessee USA
Maine,on a beach,near a lifehouse. I've never even been there but I guess I have this image in my head about what it'd be like.I even wrote a story in my creative writing class about a girl and her cousin running away to Maine.

#113560 - Sat Sep 28 2002 04:23 PM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
jadranska Offline
Learning the ropes...

Jap is an insult. But I would love to live in Japan, i have my relatives. I just can't learn the language. I love beautiful accents..especially European! Maybe I'd live in Italy, I'm also part Italian. That's another language I can't learn though! It's way too hard for me. I guess I'll just have to stick to Slavic languages (and the U.S.) then.

#113561 - Sat Sep 28 2002 06:56 PM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
lefois Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kitimat BritishColumbia Canada
I don't believe anyone mentioned Canada! However, though it's fine where I am (if you like tons of snow and freezing half the year)..........I would choose Australia. I would choose Perth, Australia! It is beautiful and clean and decent and some of the most wonderful folks I ever met in my lifetime hailed from there! I want to go! Now!

However, an elderly friend of mine once said to me, and I'll never forget it...."If you aren't happy where you are, you won't be happy anywhere."

#113562 - Tue Oct 01 2002 07:17 AM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
clematis Offline
Learning the ropes...

I would like to live in a place where the temperature is always between 15 and 30 degrees (above zero!), in a city as multicultural and multilingual as Brussels (I lived there for some time) and in a country as beautiful as Italy for instance (I lived there for a few months too)... Am I asking for too much?

#113563 - Mon Oct 07 2002 12:02 AM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
shadowhippie Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Texas USA
It would have to be a tropical island for me- untouched by man, unpoluted, totally pristine. No traffic, no cellphones, no politics...*sigh*

ShadowHippie

#113564 - Thu Apr 17 2003 01:19 PM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
glitteringgem Offline
Participant

Loc: Somewhere in Utah
If I could live anywhere in the world, I would want to live in many places. Like: *My first choice would be in England. They have really cool accents and if I went there I could use my fake accent.*My second choice would have to be Germany. Because I know a lot about the country and I am quite fluent in German.*My third choice would be New York City. Since I'm a small town girl I think it would be fun to go and live in a big city. I think the first thing I would do there is go to times square.***GlitteringGem ********************************************** ******************************** Die stadt ist wunderbar

Edited by Sue943 to correct pagewidth

Edited by sue943 (Fri Jun 20 2003 10:43 AM)

#113565 - Thu Apr 17 2003 02:32 PM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
bloomsby Offline

Loc: Norwich England UK            
Glitteringgem, how about opting for London? It combines all the advantages of your first choice with most of those of your third choice. The main disadvantage, though, is that living in Londong is horribly expensive ...

#113566 - Mon Apr 28 2003 07:31 PM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
glitteringgem Offline
Participant

Loc: Somewhere in Utah
That is actually a good idea, and London being expensive wouldn't bother me much because where I live everything is overly expensive.********GlitteringGem*************** How come everything tastes like chicken except chicken

#113567 - Thu May 01 2003 09:23 AM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
Geek Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Minnesota U.S.A.
Without a doubt, England.
I love London but I wouldn't want to live there because everything is so crowded and there is so much smoke and smog. (Compared to where I live in a small city in the American midwest.) Idealy I'd like to live in a middle sized city, within a train ride of London, in a little cottage with a huge garden.

Conversley I would HATE to live in any of the areas surrounding where I live now (in a river valley). I can't stand all that flatness as far as the eye can see, and the absence of trees. It makes me feel like I'm cut off from everything in the middle of nowhere. And the small towns give me the creeps.

#113568 - Thu May 01 2003 10:35 AM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
TabbyTom Offline

Loc: Hastings Sussex England UK    
Quote:

I love London but I wouldn't want to live there because everything is so crowded and there is so much smoke and smog.

I don't think we've had a smog in London since the 1950s. I've lived in London for more than thirty years and I can only remember three or four thick fogs, and they were quite natural ones. For a couple of years in my twenties I commuted up to London from the south coast, and in the autumn the air was often thick with fog on the coast and quite clear in London. That's not to say that the London air is clean (I believe the lead levels are pretty high), but it does look clean

On the other hand, public transport in London must be just about the worst in Europe, and it's getting worse all the time. If anything can persuade me to move out of London, it'll be the sheer aggravation of trying to get anywhere with London Transport.

#113569 - Thu May 01 2003 11:17 AM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
Geek Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Minnesota U.S.A.
I guess smog wasn't the word I was looking for, it's just that I found the car exhaust fumes/ ciggarette smoke to be very unpleasant.

On my first visit to London I experienced a fair amount of trouble with getting places. Mostly with finding a bus that was going where I wanted to go. I did get to see what the Underground looks like early on a weekday morning I was very surprised to see how many people can fit in one of those compartments. Still, I found it to be easier to get around London than it is to get around Minneapolis, because having to drive around there I often get totally lost and when I do find the place I am looking for then I can't find a decent place to park... I'd probably get very frusterated if I had to get around in London every day, going to and from work and other places, but for the time I was there I thought it was way better than driving.

#113570 - Thu May 01 2003 07:01 PM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
valois Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
Being a devout Francophile, my choice would be Paris, France, on the Champs Elysees.

Or maybe a villa in Provence.

#113571 - Fri May 02 2003 05:54 AM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
x_Ashi_x Offline
Explorer

Loc: Saturn
I would love to live in Hawaii or California. Mostly Hawaii because you don't have to deal with earthquakes, but you do have to deal with volcanoes and huricanes. I would really like to learn to surf so Hawaii or California would be the best choices.

#113572 - Fri May 02 2003 06:20 AM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
Tielhard Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Blackpool UK
Of the places I have visited the place I would most like to live is on the Western Coast of Scotland somewhere between Ullapool and Cape Wrath. It is not so rugged as the Central Highlands and not as cold as the East Coast. It is sheltered from the Atlantic by the Western Isles and from the cold Siberian winds by the rest of Scotland. There are many small coves with clear blue water. They often are surrounded by steep hills that are dotted with small cottages. I should like to live in one of those. The mountains behind me, and the facing the sea, perfect. I have absolutely no idea what I would do to support myself if I ever got a place there as it is very sparsely populated with absolutely no work for Engineers. Yet another reason for needing to win the Lottery!

Of the places I have seen only in my dreams or on the telly; Arakoa or the Coromandel in New Zealand. Very similar places to Western Scotland but, at least in the case of the Coromandel a lot warmer.

#113573 - Fri May 02 2003 07:56 AM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

I kind of prefer the East Coast having lived there, this summer I visited my cottage, my village, and it was like being home...

Wherever I live, there will have to be some mountains not too far though, I grew up amongst the trees, the Sequoias, and therefore, I'd feel homesick if I were too far from mountains..

Scotland's a wonderful place.

#113574 - Fri May 02 2003 08:27 AM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
Coolupway Offline
Prolific

I would like to have a little farm, with cows, and pigs and rabbits, where ya can live off the fat of the land...

Sorry. Someone beat me to that one.

#113575 - Fri May 02 2003 09:35 AM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
draculanut31 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Waterford New Jersey USA    
I would like to go back to Verona, Italy. I went there last year and just fell in love with the city. It had the small town feel even though it's a city. I would love to be where the only language spoken is Italian--maybe I'd actually learn how to speak the language!

Jadranska, what is it about Italian that is difficult? It's just a question of curiosity--I happen to find it an easy language, but my problem is that I have no one to talk to! No one in my family speaks it (even though my dad is a thoroughbred Italian) and none of my friends took to the language the way I did. I was the only one who learned it so quickly in my Italian class. My teacher awarded me the honor of having the highest average of the entire school--I guess it's just what you take to the quickest.

#113576 - Fri May 02 2003 05:11 PM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
DieHard Offline
Prolific

Loc: Louisiana USA
Norway, the beautiful snowy mountains, the northern lights, and I'd never have to lock my doors at night...

#113577 - Sun May 25 2003 08:33 AM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
Eraserhead Offline
Prolific

Loc: Outer Sydney NSW Australia    
Quote:

What decision is that? The answer is Guinness my friend, Guinness. In fact, I'm fairly sure that it's the answer to most of life's questions!!

Quote:

Sorry to disappoint you: in fact the answer to the question about life, universe and everything is 42

Wimm and Tanzen, the problem with Douglas Adams is that sometimes he doesn't finish things. The answer to Life, The Universe And Everything is.......42 pints of Guiness.

Edited by Exit10 (Mon May 26 2003 06:56 AM)

#113578 - Tue May 27 2003 03:52 AM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
damnsuicidalroos Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Sydney
NSW Australia
In Victoria about three hours drive from Melbourne there are a group of mountains named The Grampians.In The Grampians there is a tiny town, with one main street and few others, named Halls Gap.This is my ideal place to live and I,m pretty sure that I shall retire there someday,and positive that I shall buy a holiday house there soon.From about 5pm there are kangaroos in every street and other nocturnal wildlife.The walks[and you can access most of them from your house by foot]are interesting and the views spectacular.Creeks are plentiful as is birdlife[the noise of the birds coming home to roost is deafening].There is a large lake for boating activities,though power boats are not allowed,and the four wheel driving tracks are fun.Whilst there isn`t a pub there there is a nice place to have a quiet drink[Guiness preferably].It`s not anything like Sydney and there isn`t a beach nearby but it`s as close to my ideal place to live that I,ve seen yet.

#113579 - Tue May 27 2003 05:10 AM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
Bertho Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Queensland Australia
I'd like to live in the middle of 100 golden beaches far from the troubles of the world. Where everywhere is only 15 minutes away. A place where the three-month winter helps you sleep with a cool chill in the air and the days are warm and cloudless. Where the summer brings out a million bikinis and a nine-month party. I want rainforests to the north and south, tropical reefs to the east, a bay with two hundred deserted Islands to explore, a brewery called XXXX and a blues beating footy team. Somewhere where no one is in a real hurry and everyone say's 'she'll be right - we'll do it tomorrow.'

Lucky me, I don't have far to go..

#113580 - Wed May 28 2003 12:14 AM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
tanzen Offline
Forum Champion

VIC Australia
Kevin, of course!

It all makes sense to me now!

I wonder if you'd have to have all 42 in one sitting, or if it can be spaced out? If it's all at once, maybe I'll have to organise a couple of days off waork...

#113581 - Wed May 28 2003 03:27 PM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
A Member Offline
Multiloquent

Loc:  
Bertho - apart from the brewery we are in heaven! (you haven't tried real ale have you!)

#113582 - Sun Jun 01 2003 07:45 PM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
rogue Offline
Mainstay

Quote:

If you could live anywhere in the world, other than where you live, where would it be and why?

Somewhere I could find a love of my own, that's not unrequited.

#113583 - Sun Jun 01 2003 11:58 PM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: South of England
There are a number countries I would like to sample life in. These are Canada, America, Australia, Jamaica and Iceland. Not just to holiday but to live and work in for six months or so. I think only then can a true picture of a country be gained. Even then, some of those places are so vast the ways of life must vary tremendously within them.

To idealise the place I’d like to settle though:

I’d like to live somewhere that has some sunshine and warm weather (but it mustn't be too hot). Also a fair amount of rain would be desirable to keep the countryside green and in good condition. Along with that, some snow every now and again would be nice but it shouldn't hang about for long periods of time. Shops and countryside must both be within easy reach and I must have enough local hilly places to go mountain biking. I would also prefer a country with few things to grumble about because what’s life in a place without a few drawbacks to provide topics of conversation? I suppose many places in the world must fill those requirements but Hey! …do I really need to go anywhere?

#113584 - Wed Jun 18 2003 05:34 PM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
Anonymous
No longer registered

I would love to live somewhere in the tropics near a beach, a rainforest, a river, a lake, tide pools, a mangrove… anywhere were there were lots of different habitats with lots of biodiversity in them. It would be the greatest!... OH… and FAR FAR away from humanity; maybe just a small town.
(There has to be SOMEWHERE like that right?)

#113585 - Wed Jun 18 2003 08:41 PM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
Exit10 Offline

It sounds like the Daintree Forest just north of Cairns is for you CHIMPS.

There is a small village as you enter the forest proper, and at one stage the road is so close to the water's edge you can get out of your car and cross from the Great Barrier Reef to the forest. A tidal river exists with mangrove banks except for some small sandy parts.

However I don't recommend getting out of your boat because there are a few crocs in the vicinity. OK there are a lot of crocs but other than that it is a beautiful place to get back to nature.

#113586 - Wed Jun 18 2003 08:41 PM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
superferd Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Boca Raton
Florida USA  
If this counts for any TIME as well, I would go back and check out Atlantis in its hayday (you know, before it sunk)...
Otherwise, I would probably think the grass is always greener no matter where I live. (Just an olive shade away)

#113587 - Thu Jun 19 2003 08:17 AM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
Anonymous
No longer registered

WOW! I must go visit there someday. It sounds great! I do't mind the crocs or sharks or venomous snakes.
I'll go visit sometime.

#113588 - Thu Jun 19 2003 05:55 PM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
DakotaNorth Offline
Forum Champion

If I could live any where on Earth, I would love to live in Africa or Australia. Those two continents have got to be the most awesome!

#113589 - Fri Jun 20 2003 08:37 AM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
Anonymous
No longer registered

Why? hot, dry, where would you want to live? tropical rainforest, desert, savannas, what?

#113590 - Fri Jun 27 2003 09:11 PM Re: If you could live anywhere on the planet....
Pearldust Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Ithaca New York USA      

Anaheim
Orlando
Paris
Bermuda Triangle

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  bloomsby