Rules
Terms of Use

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1136951 - Tue May 31 2016 11:01 AM Global Challenge 27
shuehorn Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Lawrenceville Georgia USA     
When in early June will it start? Once again, anxious for this specific kind of torture!!

#1136959 - Tue May 31 2016 11:31 AM Re: Global Challenge 27 [Re: shuehorn]
Terry Offline

Head Honcho

Loc: USA
Let's start next Monday

#1137073 - Wed Jun 01 2016 06:29 AM Re: Global Challenge 27 [Re: shuehorn]
shuehorn Offline
Multiloquent

Okey dokey!! Can't wait. smile

#1137489 - Mon Jun 06 2016 05:56 AM Re: Global Challenge 27 [Re: shuehorn]
shuehorn Offline
Multiloquent

We start again today!!!

#1138045 - Wed Jun 15 2016 12:49 PM Re: Global Challenge 27 [Re: shuehorn]
HoboKing Offline
Participant

Loc: South Carolina USA
Please just allow me the opportunity to vent. I'm older (chronologically) but not in spirit and my reflexes are still pretty good. My computer is not going to allow me the super fast times but I do OK for speed. There are so many not good but excellent players on this site. Sometimes if I know a quiz and can go at a fast clip I miss a question. Oh I click on an answer all right but every now and then it doesn't take. With my computer you have to aim slightly high and to the right to click on your answer. I try to make it sure it takes but sometimes I just miss it and see that "you did not answer the question" staring at me after I hit enter. Today it cost me a chance to have more than 8000 points total in a GC round, which I can assure you is a rare event for me. Not anyone's fault but my own, I just needed to vent. As you can see my maturity level does not match my old age.

#1138049 - Wed Jun 15 2016 01:17 PM Re: Global Challenge 27 [Re: shuehorn]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
"aim high and to the right". The possible answers are in boxes that extend to the right about half way across the screen. Four boxes stacked one on top of each other. You don't see the boundaries but the boxes are there. You don't have to hit the little circle (exception: in the Brain twist that aren't FITB, you need to hit the circle (radio button). You can click to the right side of the answer you want to select. At least that's how my quizzes play.
Where do you get 8,000 points in a GC round? Starred topics earn 100 points each if you score above 500 on the quiz. But the 500 aren't points. They're a score level out of 1,500 max per quiz. Or is that a Hard Core tabulation? 65, legally blind on a ssllooww dial-up network connection. (I did just buy a new TV to use as a monitor to help me see the screens.) If you are using a Windows older than 8.1, an update will help. The clicking on an answer and not having 'it take' indicates you may be due for a new mouse.
I'm not belittling your problems but am trying to help.
The pointer needn't be in an exact position;
Old versions of Windows have communication problems with new site data arrangements;
Mouse clickers are one of the first things to go on them (unless you have a scroll wheel, then they go bad first).

Cats on keyboards cause troubles too. smile

The ultimate activity is the Dream.

#1138062 - Wed Jun 15 2016 04:48 PM Re: Global Challenge 27 [Re: mehaul]
nasty_liar Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Sheffield Yorkshire England UK
Originally Posted By: mehaul

Where do you get 8,000 points in a GC round?

Cumulative scores across the five categories plus impossible.

Say you go 15 right in 100 seconds in all six categories then you would have scored 6 x 1400 = 8400
That would be a score above 8000 in a GC round.

#1138069 - Wed Jun 15 2016 06:22 PM Re: Global Challenge 27 [Re: shuehorn]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

I think I was there ^^^^ when I said 'score' not 'points'. Are cumulative scores tallied somewhere that you can see a score of 8,000 or is that from a personal tally like you just performed? You do not get 8,000 points in a day of GC.

Edited by mehaul (Wed Jun 15 2016 06:23 PM)

#1138070 - Wed Jun 15 2016 06:28 PM Re: Global Challenge 27 [Re: mehaul]
flopsymopsy Offline

Loc: Northampton England UK      
It's a total score, mehaul, across all the topics played in a given round of the GC. There's a page of results for scores in the previous session - there is one for Normal mode and another for Hardcore:

http://www.funtrivia.com/minigame/octathletes.cfm
http://www.funtrivia.com/minigame/octathletes_hc.cfm

#1138083 - Wed Jun 15 2016 10:16 PM Re: Global Challenge 27 [Re: shuehorn]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Thanks for the links. I see where someone can be aiming for a score of 8,000 under Total Score. Is there a minigame page that details the ins and outs of scoring high there?
I added the page to my favorites bar. I see there is a badge. Is the Challenges (jeweled Tower) the only place this can be found through?

Edited by mehaul (Wed Jun 15 2016 10:23 PM)

#1138086 - Wed Jun 15 2016 11:27 PM Re: Global Challenge 27 [Re: shuehorn]
shuehorn Offline
Multiloquent

I think it is just bragging rights. You see the list of the top 100 players for a round in each mode, and you see where you ranked each time. I normally count how far I am from the top of the list. If I were a better player, scoring 8000 would be another benchmark for me. We all set bars for ourselves to keep going through the long haul that is the GC.

#1138088 - Thu Jun 16 2016 12:03 AM Re: Global Challenge 27 [Re: shuehorn]
nasty_liar Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: shuehorn
I think it is just bragging rights.

There is a badgelet for finishing top of each list (hardcore and normal) so slightly better than bragging rights alone! wink

#1138089 - Thu Jun 16 2016 12:05 AM Re: Global Challenge 27 [Re: mehaul]
nasty_liar Offline
Enthusiast

I think I was there ^^^^ when I said 'score' not 'points'.

You do not get 8,000 points in a day of GC.

Splitting hairs really

#1138105 - Thu Jun 16 2016 01:44 AM Re: Global Challenge 27 [Re: shuehorn]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Sometimes hairs need to be split to gain knowledge like when someone says they get 8,000 points in a round of GC. I want to get that many points too! Then you find out they meant a score value which is not the same thing at all and is not just the other piece of the hair. Maybe they were related in your way of thinking but I was unaware of the minigame. To me score is not points so it's not splitting hairs. How does your observation add to the discussion except to say you don't care for my comments?
I withdraw my comment. After all, this is FUN Trivia.

#1138119 - Thu Jun 16 2016 05:05 AM Re: Global Challenge 27 [Re: nasty_liar]
shuehorn Offline
Multiloquent

Originally Posted By: nasty_liar
Originally Posted By: shuehorn
I think it is just bragging rights.

There is a badgelet for finishing top of each list (hardcore and normal) so slightly better than bragging rights alone! wink

Yes, that's true. But even after that goal is won (and I don't have either yet), people still keep trying to outdo their own best scores along with those of everyone else.

#1138127 - Thu Jun 16 2016 06:52 AM Re: Global Challenge 27 [Re: HoboKing]
Barbarini Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Alberta Canada
Originally Posted By: HoboKing
Oh I click on an answer all right but every now and then it doesn't take. With my computer you have to aim slightly high and to the right to click on your answer. I try to make it sure it takes but sometimes I just miss it and see that "you did not answer the question" staring at me after I hit enter.

HoboKing, this seems to be happening to me more and more often.

May I ask if it's possible to create a larger space at which to aim at the point where one clicks? I can make the text larger by hitting Ctrl, then moving the scroll wheel on my mouse but I like to see more questions on the screen at one time. Perhaps a slight increase of the size of the dot in proportion to the text would be a help in allowing fewer misses. Terry?

#1138129 - Thu Jun 16 2016 07:40 AM Re: Global Challenge 27 [Re: shuehorn]
spanishliz Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: Ontario Canada
You don't need to point directly at the dot for your answer to register. I've just played a round to confirm, and you need only click on the word(s) of the answer you are choosing for the dot to be chosen. (At least this works using Firefox.)

#1138136 - Thu Jun 16 2016 09:22 AM Re: Global Challenge 27 [Re: shuehorn]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

And Windows.

The only time you should have to click in the circle (radio button) is if you run into an old Fill In The Blank (FITB) that has a few multiple choices mixed in. Or, if you have an incomplete page load and the servers will show you the page in basic HyperText Markup Language (HTML) without any of Terry's defined improvements. In that mode you will see any links as underlined text and the font will be unbold and smaller slightly like the text in the reply window here.

The possible answers are in boxes that extend to the right about half way across the screen. Four boxes stacked one on top of each other. You don't see the boundaries but the boxes are there. You don't have to hit the little circle (exception: in the Brain twist that aren't FITB, you need to hit the circle (radio button). You can click to the right side of the answer you want to select. At least that's how my quizzes play.

The boxes are about the same as the ones you see for answers in Quiz templates and in Single Question fill in the answers boxes. They correspond to the maximum length of an allowable input in character length (30?) I believe.

If you point in an area to the left of the open circle, you will be outside the box (answer field). Best to stay hovered over the answer text for clicking.

There may be a pointing issue beyond these if you use a fancy, non-standard pointer, like some animated gifs with wiggly tails.

Edited by mehaul (Thu Jun 16 2016 09:31 AM)

#1138347 - Sun Jun 19 2016 12:22 PM Re: Global Challenge 27 [Re: shuehorn]
lonely-lady Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: England UK
I got Q10 from http://www.funtrivia.com/quizdetails.cfm?quiz=157114 in Movies: Movie Mixture: Name the People ** just now and guessed right!

#1138348 - Sun Jun 19 2016 12:40 PM Re: Global Challenge 27 [Re: shuehorn]
spanishliz Offline
Champion Poster

Did you send a correction note so that the question can be removed from the pool? That's the best way to ensure it won't turn up again.

Several people did indeed send correction notes, and the question has now been removed from the pool.

------
Spanishliz (Editor in Movies, Geography, Brain Teasers and Crosswords)

Edited by spanishliz (Sun Jun 19 2016 12:46 PM)
Edit Reason: Update

#1138351 - Sun Jun 19 2016 02:59 PM Re: Global Challenge 27 [Re: shuehorn]
rossian Online   content

Loc: Merseyside UK 
Thank you. I guessed correctly too, but am glad to know the question won't reappear.

#1138353 - Sun Jun 19 2016 03:13 PM Re: Global Challenge 27 [Re: shuehorn]
lonely-lady Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: England UK
No, I did not send a correction note. I know now and will do so in future.

#1138354 - Sun Jun 19 2016 03:32 PM Re: Global Challenge 27 [Re: shuehorn]
spanishliz Offline
Champion Poster

Actually, the clue to which was correct there was the punctuation smile I wouldn't allow the question in that state now, but at the time it was a way to avoid the "no punctuation in fill in the blanks" rule.

------
Spanishliz (Editor in Movies, Geography, Brain Teasers and Crosswords)

#1138381 - Mon Jun 20 2016 11:23 AM Re: Global Challenge 27 [Re: shuehorn]
HoboKing Offline
Participant

Loc: South Carolina USA
On funtrivia and in life I try to keep a low profile but here I am like a bad penny, back again. Yesterday I got zero correct in zero seconds in the category Flags and Symbols. The only problem is I never clicked on that quiz. That is not a subject I would touch with a ten foot pole. I have had instances where I finished a quiz and clicked submit only to see the circle go around and around for minutes, ruining your score. I've also had my power go out in the middle of a round. Those things happen and all you can do is laugh about it. However in this case I never got into this quiz, like I said not a category for me. I have no idea what happened.

#1138834 - Tue Jun 28 2016 08:09 AM Re: Global Challenge 27 [Re: shuehorn]
2tough4u Offline
Learning the ropes...

Loc: Indiana USA
Played 6 games in Global Challenge today and none of my scores are showing even though I am being listed as played.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Terry