Rules
Terms of Use

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1137618 - Thu Jun 09 2016 03:52 AM General Questions about FT
HairyBear Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Florida USA
I created one successful thread, let's see if I can create a second one. I'd like to ask a series of questions about FT specifically, so I don't think the AskFT spot is correct. And perhaps others can use this thread to ask their own questions if they aren't of a critical nature requiring immediate attention.

#1137620 - Thu Jun 09 2016 04:00 AM Re: General Questions about FT [Re: HairyBear]
HairyBear Offline
Enthusiast

So here are the first few questions:

Where can I find the current number of teams on FT? the current number of active teams on FT?

How many active players are there on FT? Is there a place where that number is indicated?

Why are the old threads on the Bookworms forum all locked?

Can admins' decisions be appealed? How would one do that?

I'm sure I'll think of more as time goes on.

#1137621 - Thu Jun 09 2016 05:14 AM Re: General Questions about FT [Re: HairyBear]
namrewsna Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Utah USA
Ok I am going to put the lie to my screen name here and bring questions of my own while having no answers to any of those listed already.

Does anyone know all the factors which go into the accumulation of Team Points?

The description on the team page link for it says it is based only on TvT and Team Heroes (so, side question, is that correct?. Some such info headers become dated as new games are added so does anything else contribute to team points?) and daily additions to the my total do come out very close to simply my score in those two games from the day before, but since I have been tracking it the last 3 days, there is some variable additional point bonus there and I cannot easily figure out what is generating that. Is it based on your positional rank among your teammates, the final finishing rank of your team, and/or something else?

#1137622 - Thu Jun 09 2016 05:28 AM Re: General Questions about FT [Re: HairyBear]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        

Usually threads are locked once they have expired, question answered etc. If a thread hasn't been active for a year and you wish to post on the same or similar then just start a new thread. It can be annoying when people respond to a thread which is very old and possibly the person starting the thread might well no longer post.

Actually from time to time I put an automatic lock on old threads in many forums, perhaps it is time for me to do it again. After all said and done, do people really want to comment on a year of RIP thead?

#1137623 - Thu Jun 09 2016 05:34 AM Re: General Questions about FT [Re: HairyBear]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Can admins' decisions be appealed? How would one do that?

Normally by using the Contact Us method of contacting the site, rather than to an individual. That is not to say that an appeal will be successful but all the administrators will see it and then can discuss the situation. However, be aware that 'pestering' by repeat appeals in the hopes that will change our minds won't work, that is more likely to annoy us!

Bans etc are never done lightly on a whim, we feel that we have good reason, for instance if a member is abusive to an editor or moderator who are all volunteers, that will not be tolerated. I am sure that none of you would care for your mother, father, sister, brother to be told to 'f*** off' etc.

#1137624 - Thu Jun 09 2016 06:10 AM Re: General Questions about FT [Re: HairyBear]
jabb5076 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Georgia USA
Wow! Have people actually said that to admin on this site??

#1137627 - Thu Jun 09 2016 06:55 AM Re: General Questions about FT [Re: HairyBear]
ren33 Offline

Loc: Fanling
  Hong Kong      
Oh yes and worse. Since all our editors and admins and mods do the job without pay it's hard to take sometimes. Thanks Sue for your response to the book threads. Thats exactly it. Please post in there if there is something new you want to refer to. But I agree, dragging up old threads is annoying at times.

#1137628 - Thu Jun 09 2016 06:55 AM Re: General Questions about FT [Re: jabb5076]
trident Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Wisconsin USA
Originally Posted By: jabb5076

Speaking as an editor, I have seen just about everything over the years. It is, after all, the Internet.

Editor: World and General

#1137630 - Thu Jun 09 2016 08:55 AM Re: General Questions about FT [Re: HairyBear]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Not an authority answer but I think a good guess at the number of active teams on the site can be drawn from the total number listed in Wesley Crusher's Team of the Year 2016 thread where the low ranked team is numbered 149. There may be more but I'd say they weren't active if Wesley Crusher didn't include them.

The ultimate activity is the Dream.

#1137635 - Thu Jun 09 2016 10:00 AM Re: General Questions about FT [Re: HairyBear]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

I guess the worst thing which was said to me was a death threat! It was quite some time ago and since I am still alive I guess my 'Bring it on' called his bluff although at the time since he belonged to a particular organisation it wasn't pleasant. smile

Yes, the account was terminated.

Edited by sue943 (Thu Jun 09 2016 10:01 AM)

#1137670 - Thu Jun 09 2016 05:47 PM Re: General Questions about FT [Re: sue943]
dg_dave Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: near Stafford, Virginia USA  
Originally Posted By: jabb5076

As with most things, I can see staff members getting treated very disturbingly, and that is not limited to FT by any stretch. They "think" they can hide behind a computer and all, but it's not as easy to "hide" as one may think. IP addresses are logged, no matter where you are, for one. This is why there are so many "trolls" out there. One thing that is a problem, and this is not for the "trolls" or "non-trolls", but when typing something, it's difficult (in some cases) to show emotion into your writing versus speaking to someone. If I say "hey there", for example, am I saying it with force in my voice or rather quietly? You cannot tell on a computer screen. Yes, here, we have italics, bolding, and underlining capabilities, so we can show some emotion in our words in the Forums, but do all sites? Absolutely not. You cannot use HTML or UBB coding in quizzes on the other portion of this very site (yes, very old quizzes from 2001 and older have that, but that was before a restriction was placed). And yes, I am aware of the all caps thing for shouting...lol.

One question I'm curious of...what percentage of accounts get terminated for that sort of thing?

Originally Posted By: sue943
I am sure that none of you would care for your mother, father, sister, brother to be told to 'f*** off' etc.

Such language! wink wink wink

#1137677 - Thu Jun 09 2016 06:53 PM Re: General Questions about FT [Re: dg_dave]
WesleyCrusher Offline

Administrator

Loc: Germany
Originally Posted By: dg_dave

One question I'm curious of...what percentage of accounts get terminated for that sort of thing?

Actually quite low (FunTrivia users are well behaved compared to other sites). By my projections, we're on track to have 2016 as a year with less than 100 banned accounts and that includes everything - spammers, cheaters, et cetera.

#1137688 - Thu Jun 09 2016 08:23 PM Re: General Questions about FT [Re: HairyBear]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
Swearing at an editor - or another member, for that matter - is an instant ban, but we tend to give warnings for less serious offenses. My experience has been that more often than not, a warning is heeded, and we have no more trouble with the person. Sometimes they come back with "How dare you tell me to keep it civil, you *&#@*! #*&@!" but not too often.

#1137689 - Thu Jun 09 2016 08:48 PM Re: General Questions about FT [Re: agony]
gracious1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New York USA
Originally Posted By: agony
Swearing at an editor - or another member, for that matter - is an instant ban…

So if a user drops one f-bomb, that's it, banned for life? No warning? Just poof? No chance of returning after apologizing? BTW, just asking, not planning to do it myself, nor am I necessarily arguing against the policy. Just curious. grin

Edited by gracious1 (Thu Jun 09 2016 08:49 PM)

#1137692 - Thu Jun 09 2016 09:05 PM Re: General Questions about FT [Re: HairyBear]
spanishliz Online   FT-cool
Champion Poster

Loc: Ontario Canada
Quote:
Players sending abusive or nasty notes are not welcome at FunTrivia.com and will be banned from participating on this website.

The warning above appears in red lettering every time you write a note to another user using the Quizzyland message system, so not really "just poof".

#1137698 - Thu Jun 09 2016 09:58 PM Re: General Questions about FT [Re: spanishliz]
dg_dave Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: near Stafford, Virginia USA  
Originally Posted By: WesleyCrusher
Originally Posted By: dg_dave

Actually quite low (FunTrivia users are well behaved compared to other sites). By my projections, we're on track to have 2016 as a year with less than 100 banned accounts and that includes everything - spammers, cheaters, et cetera.

That's good that the number for 2016 is trending below 100...I was figuring somewhere close to triple to quadruple that over the course of about six months.

Originally Posted By: spanishliz
Quote:
Players sending abusive or nasty notes are not welcome at FunTrivia.com and will be banned from participating on this website.

The warning above appears in red lettering every time you write a note to another user using the Quizzyland message system, so not really "just poof".

Is there a way that Terry can make that font a little larger for some folks? I have no eyesight issues with glasses, but some folks may not see it real well.

#1137699 - Thu Jun 09 2016 10:01 PM Re: General Questions about FT [Re: HairyBear]
kyleisalive Online   FT-cool
Forum Champion

Loc: Toronto, Canada, eh!
Quote:
Is there a way that Terry can make that font a little larger for some folks? I have no eyesight issues with glasses, but some folks may not see it real well.

Most people likely wouldn't read it anyways; what we find with messages like those is that if we change the colours, bold the font, make it larger, etc., people will look at it once and then it will be forgotten in short time.

#1137715 - Fri Jun 10 2016 02:59 AM Re: General Questions about FT [Re: HairyBear]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

As you will have noticed, our forums are remarkably free of spam, that is not by chance.

When it comes to the forums people wishing to register here have to join a Registration Queue rather than instant registration. Each registration is then checked by me, or by another administrator if I am away.

Some registrations are instantly obviously rubbish accounts, possibly computer generated registrations, they are refused immediately with no reason given. No, I won't tell you the clue, just trust me, they are not genuine accounts. I have had, on occcasions, more than 30 in a day but most days there are just a few, some there are none.

Next, for all other registrations, I check the email address against the membership on the main site. If there is no matching email address I will next search for the user ID for a matching one. If there is no matching main site account the rejection message will read 'No active main site account' or similar. If I find a matching main site account I check that the user ID is identical, for instance using the same case. If there is a discrepancy, for instance one having an uppercase letter and one lowercase then it will be rejected with a message saying that the names must be identical and will give the main site ID and tell them to re-register with that. A rejection deletes all trace so the email address can be re-used for a correct registration.

If I find a genuine main site account but with a different email address I will accept the account and normally send a message to the member via the main site message system asking if they need to update the email address on the main site, possibly the one registered is no longer valid therefore they would have problems retrieving their password should they have computer problems.

Banning a forum account is pretty rare once someone has been accepted, however if a main site is banned then the forum account will also be banned.

#1137733 - Fri Jun 10 2016 08:52 AM Re: General Questions about FT [Re: sue943]
shuehorn Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Lawrenceville Georgia USA     
Thanks for the detailed explanation, and even more, for the dedication and work that goes into keeping FT as smapper and scammer free as it is.

#1137741 - Fri Jun 10 2016 01:13 PM Re: General Questions about FT [Re: HairyBear]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
On the subject of being banned for life because of one f-bomb.... our feeling is that those who have to be specifically warned not to swear at people aren't really who we want here anyway.

A less directly rude use - "Your quiz was @#%@ fantastic", say, would probably get a warning.

#1137750 - Fri Jun 10 2016 07:41 PM Re: General Questions about FT [Re: HairyBear]
MiraJane Offline
Prolific

Loc: New York USA
Sue, what about people that play in tournaments only and are told they need to register for the Forums if they have a comment or complaint to make? They won't be registered on the "main site." how are they able to post here?

#1137769 - Sat Jun 11 2016 02:26 AM Re: General Questions about FT [Re: HairyBear]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

There is nothing to stop them registering on the main site then not using that account, it will take them minutes so not really a problem for them. Rather waste two minutes of their time than have the forums full of spam would you not agree?

Alternatively they can always use the Contact Us method of contacting us, they do not need to be a member for that.

Edited by sue943 (Sat Jun 11 2016 02:27 AM)

#1137848 - Sun Jun 12 2016 08:48 AM Re: General Questions about FT [Re: HairyBear]
ssabreman Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I've asked this elsewhere a few times, but never received a response. So I'll try it here.
What is the purpose of the timer in the Who's the Smartest game? To be more useful, should it be placed at the bottom of the page where it can be seen when you finish?

Why only that game? What about having it available (at the bottom) in other games?

Edited by ssabreman (Thu Jun 23 2016 11:18 PM)

#1137858 - Sun Jun 12 2016 12:00 PM Re: General Questions about FT [Re: sue943]
HairyBear Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: sue943

Usually threads are locked once they have expired, question answered etc. If a thread hasn't been active for a year and you wish to post on the same or similar then just start a new thread. It can be annoying when people respond to a thread which is very old and possibly the person starting the thread might well no longer post.

Actually from time to time I put an automatic lock on old threads in many forums, perhaps it is time for me to do it again. After all said and done, do people really want to comment on a year of RIP thead?

That does not seem to be standard operating procedure. There are very few locks on this forum, for example, even on twelve year old threads, but no one abuses the privilege. Likewise, there are few threads locked on the category chat boards, and I do see some threads resurrected from the dead from time to time without anyone freaking out about it. If someone has something interesting to add to an old thread, why NOT allow him/her to add it? And to answer your final question, no, no one wants to comment on a year old RIP thread, but that means a lock is totally unnecessary.

#1137873 - Sun Jun 12 2016 01:38 PM Re: General Questions about FT [Re: HairyBear]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

We have had cases of members posting then several years later someone responding to that person who perhaps left three years prior to the reply so is no longer interested in the thread. You would be surprised at what some people will do, one thing they don't seem to check is the date the thread was started or last active.

I am far happier for people to start fresh threads if they wish.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Terry