Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#1141255 - Mon Aug 01 2016 01:58 AM W.10 free upgrade offer has ended.
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: South of England
I went for the upgrade while the offer was running and find that Windows 10 works well. Others don't like it for one reason or another. Some saw no point in upgrading when the computer works well enough as it is. It runs the required programs so why bother?

Did anyone else go for the upgrade, take measures to avoid it or perhaps revert to their previous operating system because they didn't like Windows 10? Are any considering a change to Mac or Linux?

The Windows 10 'Anniversary Update' is being released on August 2nd, so those using Windows 10 can expect a big update soon.

#1141257 - Mon Aug 01 2016 02:57 AM Re: W.10 free upgrade offer has ended.
rossian Offline

Loc: Merseyside UK
This may well be a stupid question, but how can I check which version of Windows I have?

#1141258 - Mon Aug 01 2016 03:29 AM Re: W.10 free upgrade offer has ended.
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

Originally Posted By: rossian
This may well be a stupid question, but how can I check which version of Windows I have?

Do you have an icon on the Desktop called 'My Computer' or 'This PC' ? If so, right-click on the icon and choose 'Properties' from the menu. A window will open giving information on the Windows version.

#1141263 - Mon Aug 01 2016 07:47 AM Re: W.10 free upgrade offer has ended.
postcards2go Offline
Prolific

Loc: New York City USA
I did not upgrade. I like my Windows 7, so why change? Also, I've heard that it's quite difficult to turn off updates in 10. I want to know when updates are being provided, and I want to be able to chose whether or not to install, and also want the ability to remove them.

Yes, I'm considering Apple. My kids have used Apple for years.

#1141264 - Mon Aug 01 2016 08:05 AM Re: W.10 free upgrade offer has ended.
rossian Offline

Loc: Merseyside UK
Thanks for the guidance. I have Windows 7 on my desktop and Windows 10 on my laptop. I have a vague recollection of deciding to try it on the laptop, which is used for leisure and had Windows 8 on it anyway, and not to risk it on the desktop, which is used for work.

From a practical point of view, I can't say I notice any difference in everyday usage. I have the laptop set to give me a desktop view anyway, rather than the tiles, which I don't care for, so I suppose that could be why it seems the same on both.

Edited to add some punctuation!

Edited by rossian (Mon Aug 01 2016 08:05 AM)

#1141267 - Mon Aug 01 2016 08:39 AM Re: W.10 free upgrade offer has ended.
flopsymopsy Offline

Administrator

Loc: Northampton England UK
My old laptop had Windows 7 - I liked it and would happily have stayed with it, except the machine started to go horribly wrong and the blue screen of death arrived more and more frequently. So I bit the bullet and bought a new machine - which had Win 8.1 on it, aaaaaargh! However, by this time I knew that Win 10 was imminent and downloaded that as soon as I was able. It works fine and I quite like it... but... Win 10 does have some 'features' I don't like and which, sadly, they have reinforced/are making worse.

1. The updates. I switched off automatic updating by selecting an option to make it look as though my web usage was capped. If you do that then it doesn't download anything automatically. But if you plug an ethernet cable in, it switches the capped option off and hey, you get auto updates again. I hate that.

2. The advertising. It's growing, spreading, and I loathe it. If there was anything that would drive me towards Apple it would be those adverts. Okay, so I didn't pay for Win 10 but they were using me to test their system so I shouldn't have to pay via adverts. Now that people are paying money for Win 10, I hope the screams get louder.

3. I want the old Minesweeper back!

I think it's basically a good operating system, it's stable, and is much faster than Win 7 was but it has some drawbacks.

#1141288 - Mon Aug 01 2016 12:48 PM Re: W.10 free upgrade offer has ended.
Barbarini Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Alberta Canada
I bought a new laptop last year, one with Bluetooth capability. Lost Bluetooth completely when I upgraded to Windows 10 and Asus can't seem to fix the problem. Every now and then I get in a snit and email them, they send me back the fix which takes ages and ages to do, and by the time I've figured out it doesn't work, I'm mentally drained from the experience and have to go and lie down. I'm more annoyed with the nitwits at Asus than I am with Microsoft. Other than that, W 10 works great!

#1141290 - Mon Aug 01 2016 01:11 PM Re: W.10 free upgrade offer has ended.
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

Originally Posted By: postcards2go
I did not upgrade. I like my Windows 7, so why change? Also, I've heard that it's quite difficult to turn off updates in 10. I want to know when updates are being provided, and I want to be able to chose whether or not to install, and also want the ability to remove them.

Yes, I'm considering Apple. My kids have used Apple for years.

It is difficult to turn off updates in Windows 10 (not sure if it's even possible), so my W.10 has all updates. None have caused problems for me so far. Most seem to be overcoming bugs or security holes, so I rather wanted to accept these anyway.

I've been using Linux Mint quite a bit lately. It does just about everything Windows can do and I sometimes think it could switch to it. Mint is quite 'Windows-like' and it could be another option if not wanting to stick with a Microsoft OS. A screenshot of my Linux Mint Desktop:

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u78/Mart44/marts-graphics/mintscreenshot_zpsfe8zdfzw.png

Originally Posted By: rossian
Thanks for the guidance. I have Windows 7 on my desktop and Windows 10 on my laptop. I have a vague recollection of deciding to try it on the laptop, which is used for leisure and had Windows 8 on it anyway, and not to risk it on the desktop, which is used for work.

From a practical point of view, I can't say I notice any difference in everyday usage. I have the laptop set to give me a desktop view anyway, rather than the tiles, which I don't care for, so I suppose that could be why it seems the same on both.

Windows 7 is good and supported for a few years yet. There's maybe no good reason for upgrading providing the system works OK. I just find new stuff interesting, so tend to go for it straightaway. smile Having spent a year with Windows 10, I've got used to the tiles and have tamed them pretty well I reckon. Keep them small and fit more in a smaller space. Here's a screenshot of the Desktop:

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u78/Mart44/marts-graphics/desktop3_zpsxpurdhsv.png

Originally Posted By: flopsymopsy
2. The advertising. It's growing, spreading, and I loathe it. If there was anything that would drive me towards Apple it would be those adverts. Okay, so I didn't pay for Win 10 but they were using me to test their system so I shouldn't have to pay via adverts. Now that people are paying money for Win 10, I hope the screams get louder.

Do you mean when using the OS generally? I don't see any advertising when doing that. There are some on the Windows Store but that's all. Have you been through the Privacy Settings and turned a few things off (All settings > Privacy > General)? The reason I don't see them could be because I'm using a program called 'Adguard' (paid program, not the browser extension).

Originally Posted By: Barbarini
I bought a new laptop last year, one with Bluetooth capability. Lost Bluetooth completely when I upgraded to Windows 10 and Asus can't seem to fix the problem. Every now and then I get in a snit and email them, they send me back the fix which takes ages and ages to do, and by the time I've figured out it doesn't work, I'm mentally drained from the experience and have to go and lie down. I'm more annoyed with the nitwits at Asus than I am with Microsoft. Other than that, W 10 works great!

It would be good if the 'Anniversary Update' sorted it out. Well, you never know your luck. smile

#1141516 - Wed Aug 03 2016 04:11 PM Re: W.10 free upgrade offer has ended.
flopsymopsy Offline

Administrator

Loc: Northampton England UK
I downloaded the new "Anniversary" version last night and while I haven't yet had time to play with many of its features I will say that you need to allow a chunk of time to download and install it, longer possibly than the original Win 10 took. I can't be sure how long it took because when the 'install' process got to 1% I gave up and went to bed. When the birds woke me up, it had finished installing apart from the bit "Windows needs to restart, we have scheduled this for 3.45 tomorrow morning unless you choose otherwise" so I chose otherwise and after it warned me that it would need to restart several times I went back to bed. At a more reasonable hour, it took its time telling me there were a lot more features and only then would it let me log on. Which was the first feature I noticed - the logon page now uses the wallpaper I used for the initial start-up page (of which there are still three, an unnecessary number in my opinion). After I'd logged on it told me it was checking one of my apps for compatibility and then said it wasn't compatible so I no longer have a desktop clock. Oh well, I've done Hardcore so what else do I need a clock-come-stopwatch for? wink

Anyway, it seems to work, it looks okay, and it didn't conflict with my anti-virus so that's a good sign. It has included some changes on the Start menu and Cortana is clearly going to take over the world. I haven't yet made up my mind whether or not to synchronise Cortana with my phone but apparently all sorts of wonders are now open to me if I do.

PS. The clock returned this morning. Developers everywhere must have had a sleepless night. wink

Edited by flopsymopsy (Thu Aug 04 2016 07:41 AM)
Edit Reason: Change comment about logon page; add PS

#1141691 - Thu Aug 04 2016 11:35 PM Re: W.10 free upgrade offer has ended.
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

The Anniversary Update was not plain sailing for me. It stuck at 83% the first time I tried it. I know the process on such a large update can appear to hang for long periods of time but I was pretty sure the process had really hung. The only way to exit seemed to be turning off at the mains. On coming back on, the system automatically rolled back to the pre-update (attempt) state.

I tried again but firstly removed a security program called HitmanPro.Alert. This is designed to prevent changes being made to the computer and it looks like it did its job. smile I should have thought of that. Anyway, with HitmanPro.Alert gone, the update went OK.

A couple of points regarding Edge (browser): It now remembers its Window position. Although it is now possible to install extensions on Edge, the LastPass extension doesn't install properly and so doesn't work. I'll continue to use Firefox or Chrome.

Since everything seems to be OK after the update, I've used Windows 10's own 'Clean up system files' function to remove the files/folders that are automatically backed up during the update procedure.

There was one backed-up folder the clean-up procedure wouldn't remove. This being C:\Windows.old. Not much left in the folder after the clean-up procedure but an annoyance nonetheless. Some people have removed this folder using a program called 'MoveOnBoot'. I deleted it by booting up with a Linux installation disk and removing it from outside of Windows. No ill-effects noticed when booting into Windows again.

A bit of setting up was needed after the update but I suppose that was to be expected.

Moderator:  flopsymopsy, ladymacb29