Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#1141343 - Tue Aug 02 2016 12:09 PM Interview with illiniman14
rossian Online   content

Loc: Merseyside UK 
gtho4
Tell us a bit about yourself and your family.

I am the youngest of 3 with 2 older sisters. My oldest sister just had her second child – both daughters – in April and my other sister is with no kids, while I reside in Champaign, IL for the time being. My mom moved near my oldest sister to be near her grandchildren a few years ago. My father was a doctor, and he passed away 8 years ago when I was 20. We’re scattered about the Midwest but still stay pretty close.

dg_dave, gtho4, ozzz2002
What brought you to FT? What keeps you coming back?

Thinking about this question, I realize I’ve had 3 main phases of my time on FT. When I joined in 2002, I was 14 years old and had been searching for the best trivia sites online (which might’ve been dial-up then). I came across FT and decided to stick around to take as many quizzes as possible. From then until about 2010, I only visited the site on breaks from school – so the vast majority of my time on the site during that time was during summers. Most of my quizzes on the site were written at that time – some I am quite proud of, and several I have to cringe at when I see they’re still on my profile. During this phase, I was mostly focused on taking quizzes around the site and writing some of my own.

The second phase happened from 2010 to about 2013, when I went crazy on the daily and hourly quizzes. During this time, I still wrote a few quizzes, but went all out on the Piece of Cake, FT Knockout, and Global Challenge. I think (not sure) I became the first person to go under 9 seconds on the Piece of Cake, which took several months of constant playing and memorizing all of the answers for those questions. I won the Global Challenge during one of the runs (on normal play, not hardcore), and was usually in one of the top groups in Knockout. This was all when I was in undergrad and found myself with much more free time in front of a computer and put it to good use in those games. I also discovered the forums in 2010 and spent plenty of time simply participating in the tipping comps.

By 2013, I was admitted to law school and that free time dwindled, so I stopped playing the hourly games, but upped my involvement in the forums. The first comps I actually ran were the golf majors in 2012 and filled in a few weeks in the FAPL (English Premier League) before starting my first season-long comp that fall. Since then, that role has expanded to 2 season long comps and 6 one-offs, as well as filling in whenever I can to help out. At this point, I can’t even remember the last normal quiz I’ve taken on the site, though I will play the very rare Piece of Cake game just for kicks.

I suppose you could say I’ve sampled about everything on the site across different time periods. For now, what keeps me coming back is the heat of competition in the tipping comps and doing what I can to keep them running.

rossian
If your user name didn't give it away, I can see from your profile that you come from Illinois. Have you always lived there? What do you love about your state?

Despite my username, I’ve actually lived in Kentucky for the majority of my life. I was born in Illinois and lived there until I was 8, lived in Georgia for a couple years, and then moved to Kentucky and was there until I was 25. My username is really more focused on the University of Illinois Fighting Illini, which I’ve always been a fan of since my earliest years. Since I lived in Kentucky and in-state tuition was far more preferable, I attended the University of Louisville for my first 2 degrees, but was finally able to come to the U of I for law school and been here since.

As for what I love about Illinois (and Kentucky for that matter) is the full spread of seasons. I probably didn’t appreciate it until I lived in Georgia where winter is the occasional frost on the ground, but nothing really beats that first snow of the year... except for the first real day of spring where it’s 70 and sunny all day because you’re so sick and tired of the snow by February. Not to mention you can really enjoy a winter vacation because there’s actual variation between where you’re leaving and where you’re going.

srini701
You are a law student who is also fascinated a lot about sports. You have quite a few good quizzes on Geography on the site. So what are your interests on the site and the subjects that are dearest to you?

History has been one of my main interests for a long time, even going so far as to be a history major at one point in college – and I think history and geography go hand-in-hand for quiz writing purposes. Historical geography is a fascinating subject and ended up giving me my only Editor’s Choice quiz. I think both categories are so diverse they allow themselves to have the best quizzes written on them. While I do enjoy sports and have a few quizzes on it as well, it’s hard to argue that history will almost always have a broader appeal than sports.

ozzz2002
Your list of quizzes is quite impressive, but are there any categories that you would NOT write in? Are there any categories that you would like to add to?

I don’t think I’d have any interest in For Children or Celebrities – I like in-depth quizzes that end up being a little harder than most, and neither of those categories seem to really fit that. I have considered doing a Religion quiz before but never really came to fruition, but since religion itself intertwines with history so often I would never rule it out. If I ever had enough time again (a laughable thought now), I’d like to finish up the Battlestar Galactica quizzes (only some of season 3 and then season 4 to go), and I started doing birthday quizzes for January which in my wildest dreams were going to encompass the entire year, but would take years in themselves to actually complete.

dg_dave, srini701
How did you come across the tipping competitions? Is there any season-long competition on the tipping forums you have not won yet and would dearly love to, and why?

I’ll be honest and say I can’t really remember how I came across the tipping comps originally. I remember not knowing what the forums were really for and in late 2009 made a foray into these depths and discovered what was going on. I think the first comp I participated in was the 2009 NBA season (but may have been NFL), and then got my first gold in the Super Bowl comp that year/going into the next year.

As for which season-long comps I haven’t won but would really like to – MLB and any golf major. Baseball is my favorite sport, but outside of one second-place finish (to you!) a couple years ago I haven’t been close at all. As for golf – I’ve been running those comps since 2012 and with 4 running per year I’ve managed 1 third place between all of them. I’d like to add up the numbers one time and come out on top.

ozzz2002
You are a regular in the Tipping Comp forum, and have your fair share of victories. What is your selection method in sports that you are not really familiar with? Do you study form, or just make wild guesses?

Goal differential and home field advantage, generally. Rugby and Aussie Rules Football both allow to use goal differential, which is my main concern (and it for the most part matches up with record – but I’d rather see a slightly below .500 team with a big differential meaning they’re losing close games and winning big than a slightly above .500 team with a small differential meaning the opposite), and if they’re close I’ll give a home field advantage. For cricket, which I’m trying to get into, it’s a bit more towards wild guessing.

dg_dave
How is it running your own competitions, now that you've done them for awhile?

For the most part, I really like the experience, so much so that in my offseason of the summer between the end of FAPL and the start of NCAA Football I try to help out where I can. My two collegiate comps allow a unique opportunity to choose whatever games I want as opposed to most of the comps that have a set schedule with a limited number of teams. It does get a little overwhelming trying to put together a schedule when there are over 300 teams in NCAA basketball and I have to choose 15 games from the weekend that will be competitive enough to have some diversity in picks while still having teams with enough name value that people have heard of them and can look up whatever stats they need to make an informed pick. Overall, the difference in comps that I run keep it very interesting.

Howie72, gtho4
We have just had our first winter storm of the year and it had me thinking about how good it would be to fly north for the winter. If you were given plane tickets to anywhere in the world, where would you go and why? What's been your best holiday so far? (holiday = aka vacation)

That’s a tough question for someone who doesn’t really enjoy going on vacations – I usually default to ‘staycations.’ However, given the choice, I will always default to sandy beaches and blue ocean, usually around Clearwater, FL. My grandparents have a house there a short drive from the beach and near a great seafood place; and just over an hour away from Disney World if you want to spend a day at the most magical place on Earth. Speaking of which, my best vacation ever was at Disney World, where we bought a meal plan for the entire week and ended up eating some of the best food for every meal and following my sister around using Fast Passes to make sure we don’t wait in their incredibly long lines. It was a full week of entertainment and great food, which you really can’t top in my book.

rossian, dg_dave
Can you tell us something about your work, or plans for work in the future? What do you like to do in your spare time?

Boy, if I only had an answer to this one! I just graduated from law school in May and took the bar exam last week. Unfortunately, the places I worked in the two summers between academic years aren’t hiring, so I’ve been applying to places around Illinois and we’ll see how the permanent job search goes. In the meantime, I am working as a research assistant for one of my professors that pays a bit less than being a full-time lawyer. That has been taking up most of my free time, so I’ll have to rediscover video games and the normal pleasures of life that have since escaped me.

srini701
Do you play any sports yourself? Which sport do you follow the most/are most passionate about? If you could be standing with the winner's trophy of one particular sport/tournament, which one would it be and why?

I played baseball from when I was 3 all through high school, and that remains by far my favorite sport. Intramural softball gave me a little of the same experience during law school, but it never really matched the competition that was the main driving factor I found in all the years of baseball.

That all said, I’ve seen my favorite team, the St. Louis Cardinals, win the World Series twice already. So, if I could be standing with one trophy of a particular tournament, it would be the USA winning the World Cup. I can’t deny it’s the best tournament out there, even if soccer as a whole could be cleaned up from the FIFA higher-ups to refereeing cracking down on flopping. Watching the US win the World Cup would be incredible.

gtho4
As you are a sports fanatic, tell us about two memorable days/events - one when your favourite team/athlete won, and one when they lost!

I’m glad you asked this and not dg_dave. The most memorable day for me as a sports fan was Game 6 in the 2011 World Series. The Cardinals were one loss away from losing the Series and fell behind 7-4 in the 8th inning. We got 1 in the 8th, and David Freese, down to his last strike, hit an unbelievable triple to tie the game in the 9th. We gave up a run in the 10th, only to once again get a game-tying RBI when down to our last strike. After we held Texas in the 11th, Freese came back up again and hit a walk-off home run on a 3-2 pitch, sending us to Game 7 and eventually a World Series championship.

The loss that hurts the most is Illinois’ loss in the championship game of the NCAA Tournament in 2005. We were the best team all year long, but some... fortunate... calls for North Carolina left us without our center for most of the game, and we never really hit our stride. We made it a game, but left with a loss, and haven’t really recovered from that as a program since.

Howie72
The 2016 Olympics, which I am looking forward to, are not far away. If you had the chance to head to Rio de Janeiro, which 3 Olympic events would you get tickets for and why?

One would be the final for the 100m butterfly, hoping to see Michael Phelps win gold in his last Olympics – but that one would be transferrable to any swimming event where I could see the same. I’d also like to see the USA compete in rugby sevens, making its debut at the Olympics, although I have no idea how good we are or what makes it different from any other kind of rugby. Finally, probably the tennis final match for either the men’s or women’s tournament. I’ve never been to a tennis tournament and would love to see the best athletes competing for their countries. While thinking about it, I wouldn’t pick basketball or women’s soccer because I think those are foregone conclusions that the US is going to win and I’d rather see something a little more competitive.

Howie72
The last time I went to the cinema was in Toronto in 2010 but I have free tickets to go in my home town so I was wondering if there is any movie you have seen recently, or would like to see, that you would recommend?

The only movies I’ve seen this summer were ‘Star Trek: Beyond’ which was thoroughly enjoyable and ‘Bridge of Spies,’ which while well made wasn’t my favorite movie and I didn’t find it particularly compelling. Asked any other year I would have a full list for you, but the bar exam cut into normal summer plans. I do plan on seeing ‘Jason Bourne’ fairly soon, even though it hasn’t been receiving the best reviews. Everything else has been on Netflix: ‘An Honest Liar’ was a good documentary on The Amazing Randi; also ‘Fastball’ if you enjoy baseball and ‘Welcome to Leith’ if you’re looking for something a little different.

gtho4
Give us three interesting facts about yourself, and one false fact. Don't tell us which one is which and we'll try to guess which of the four is fake.

1. I have a list of my 100 favorite movies and keep it updated constantly, as well as a list where I decide whether the Oscars got Best Picture right every year. For the record, the record for most years we’ve agreed is 5: from 2007 (No Country For Old Men) to 2011 (The Artist).

2. As a fan of ‘Game of Thrones,’ I took the time in between semesters of law school to read the ‘A Song of Ice and Fire’ series. Now, since the show has passed the books, I’m not sure if ‘The Winds of Winter’ comes out if I should read it or wait for the show to finish and then pick up the books afterwards.

3. I own every Calvin & Hobbes collection, from ‘Calvin and Hobbes’ to the recently-released ‘Exploring Calvin and Hobbes: An Exhibition Catalogue’ which I haven’t found time to read just yet with everything going on.

4. I have never been drunk at a single point in my life. I’ve been surrounded by it many times, but never saw the appeal and took the plunge myself.

#1141398 - Tue Aug 02 2016 06:05 PM Re: Interview with illiniman14
dg_dave Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: near Stafford, Virginia USA  
Quote:
As you are a sports fanatic, tell us about two memorable days/events - one when your favourite team/athlete won, and one when they lost!

I’m glad you asked this and not dg_dave. The most memorable day for me as a sports fan was Game 6 in the 2011 World Series. The Cardinals were one loss away from losing the Series and fell behind 7-4 in the 8th inning. We got 1 in the 8th, and David Freese, down to his last strike, hit an unbelievable triple to tie the game in the 9th. We gave up a run in the 10th, only to once again get a game-tying RBI when down to our last strike. After we held Texas in the 11th, Freese came back up again and hit a walk-off home run on a 3-2 pitch, sending us to Game 7 and eventually a World Series championship.

Two things on this...dogging my team (Go Rangers lol) and what do you mean you're glad George asked this and not me? (LOL) wink wink And you gave up two runs in the 10th...I remember that game very well myself.

I remember that my dad's cousin's husband passed between Games 5 and 6 that year...and while the Rangers had that 3-2 lead, I knew they would lose that Series...because in 1982, the Cards won, and my dad's grandfather passed. In 2006, my dad's uncle (his cousin's father) passed, and the Cards swept that year if I remember correctly, so because of that, the last three times the Cards won the Series, she lost a family member. While I root for the Cards during the season (as my parent's hometown are big Cards fans), I don't want them winning a series due to that.

Edited by dg_dave (Tue Aug 02 2016 06:07 PM)

#1141415 - Tue Aug 02 2016 06:54 PM Re: Interview with illiniman14
ozzz2002 Offline

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia        
Great interview, mate! And thanks for inviting me as one of your interrogators. smile

Quote:
3. I own every Calvin & Hobbes collection, from ‘Calvin and Hobbes’ to the recently-released ‘Exploring Calvin and Hobbes: An Exhibition Catalogue’ which I haven’t found time to read just yet with everything going on.

I am going to pick this as the red herring...

Editor, Hobbies and Sports, and Forum Moderator

#1141432 - Tue Aug 02 2016 09:49 PM Re: Interview with illiniman14
dg_dave Offline
Champion Poster

I was thinking that was the fake fact too.

#1141624 - Thu Aug 04 2016 02:33 PM Re: Interview with illiniman14
illiniman14 Offline

Loc: Illinois USA        
Thanks to both of you for agreeing to send in questions, and interesting that you both chose the same 'fake fact.' I've been told to wait a few days before letting it spill which one is the actual answer, so hopefully we'll get a few more guesses in the meantime.

#1141681 - Thu Aug 04 2016 09:31 PM Re: Interview with illiniman14
dg_dave Offline
Champion Poster

You didn't respond to my first post... wink

#1141686 - Thu Aug 04 2016 11:06 PM Re: Interview with illiniman14
illiniman14 Offline

You are correct - so let me say that I also hope that St. Louis' success isn't related to you losing family members. At this point I wouldn't blame you at all if you stopped rooting for them during the season and instead put a hex on the entire city! Also, we ended up winning the '06 Series 4-1, losing in the "What's that on Kenny Rogers' hand" game (I think Game 3)

#1141692 - Thu Aug 04 2016 11:49 PM Re: Interview with illiniman14
gtho4 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Sydney oz downunder           

That was a great interview!

and the fake one is the in in bold:

Quote:
1. I have a list of my 100 favorite movies and keep it updated constantly, as well as a list where I decide whether the Oscars got Best Picture right every year. For the record, the record for most years we’ve agreed is 5: from 2007 (No Country For Old Men) to 2011 (The Artist).

2. As a fan of ‘Game of Thrones,’ I took the time in between semesters of law school to read the ‘A Song of Ice and Fire’ series. Now, since the show has passed the books, I’m not sure if ‘The Winds of Winter’ comes out if I should read it or wait for the show to finish and then pick up the books afterwards.

4. I have never been drunk at a single point in my life. I’ve been surrounded by it many times, but never saw the appeal and took the plunge myself.

#1141725 - Fri Aug 05 2016 10:41 AM Re: Interview with illiniman14
dg_dave Offline
Champion Poster

Originally Posted By: illiniman14
so let me say that I also hope that St. Louis' success isn't related to you losing family members.

It's been that way since 1982. However, the two years the Royals won the Series (1985 and 2015), my dad lost an uncle (1985) and his mother (2015), so even when they won, we lost family members...

I'm glad that I was able to take part in your interview...loved reading it (outside of you dogging my Rangers lol wink )

#1141800 - Sat Aug 06 2016 02:19 AM Re: Interview with illiniman14
rossian Online   content

Quote:

I'm going to guess this one, just because nobody else has and I can't believe you've been a student without having one too many.

#1141862 - Sun Aug 07 2016 12:37 AM Re: Interview with illiniman14
illiniman14 Offline

With 4 guesses in the books, the winner is.......

Nobody!

I have never been drunk, and don't really plan on doing so at any point; I do indeed keep a list of my 100 favorite movies and "evaluate" the Oscars; and I do own every Calvin & Hobbes collection, but haven't found time to read the most recent one which means there's no way I've found time to read every ASOIAF book, even though I think Game of Thrones is the best show on television right now.

#1141876 - Sun Aug 07 2016 04:33 AM Re: Interview with illiniman14
rossian Online   content

Well done for fooling us all. I've never actually seen any of Game of Thrones and think it's too late to start now. I was in Spain last year and visited Girona. The guide was very proud to tell us that GoT was partly filmed there and couldn't believe I had never watched it. I've also been to Dubrovnik, which I understand is another location.

#1141879 - Sun Aug 07 2016 06:22 AM Re: Interview with illiniman14
dg_dave Offline
Champion Poster

Actually, rossian was correct.

Originally Posted By: rossian

I'm going to guess this one, just because nobody else has and I can't believe you've been a student without having one too many.

#1142577 - Wed Aug 17 2016 01:22 AM Re: Interview with illiniman14
srini701 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Hyderabad India           
Great interview smile Ws fun reading up and getting to "know" you better! Glad I had a chance to pop a few questions as well...

PS: I hope you are not a real old man by the time you get to see USA win a FIFA world cup wink wink

#1146532 - Tue Oct 04 2016 02:51 AM Re: Interview with illiniman14
illiniman14 Offline

Update: I passed the bar exam!

#1146536 - Tue Oct 04 2016 05:57 AM Re: Interview with illiniman14
ozzz2002 Offline

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia        
Originally Posted By: illiniman14
Update: I passed the bar exam!

Woohoo! Onya, mate!

Editor, Hobbies and Sports, and Forum Moderator

#1146544 - Tue Oct 04 2016 09:41 AM Re: Interview with illiniman14
dg_dave Offline
Champion Poster

Way to go!

#1146555 - Tue Oct 04 2016 11:17 AM Re: Interview with illiniman14
rossian Online   content

Congratulations. Hard work deserves to be rewarded.

Moderator:  Pagiedamon, rossian, sue943