Rules
Terms of Use

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#1143969 - Sun Sep 04 2016 09:27 AM Works of art (photos of)
flopsymopsy Online   content

Administrator

Loc: Northampton England UK
This thread is for photos taken of works of art, such as paintings, sculptures, and other art objects. Please post only ONE photo per week.

#1143970 - Sun Sep 04 2016 09:29 AM Re: Works of art (photos of)

Administrator

I'll start the ball rolling with this photo of a ceramic wall decoration I saw in the Museum of Applied Arts in Budapest. It's quite big and looks as though it was designed to go over the mantel in a large house, but of course it was the one thing that didn't have a label so I actually don't know who it's by or what it was for.

#1143977 - Sun Sep 04 2016 12:50 PM Re: Works of art (photos of)
CmdrK Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Nevada USA
That ain't goin' over the mantel in my house! eek

Edited by CmdrK (Sun Sep 04 2016 01:04 PM)

#1143978 - Sun Sep 04 2016 02:19 PM Re: Works of art (photos of)

Administrator

She does look a bit fed up, doesn't she? grin

Edited by flopsymopsy (Sun Sep 04 2016 03:53 PM)
Edit Reason: grammar tidy

#1143984 - Sun Sep 04 2016 03:33 PM Re: Works of art (photos of)
spanishliz Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: Ontario Canada
Here's a large piece of outdoor artwork, snapped in Toronto's Distillery District a few years ago.

#1143986 - Sun Sep 04 2016 03:54 PM Re: Works of art (photos of)

Administrator

I think I'd need to go into the distillery after seeing that!

#1143989 - Sun Sep 04 2016 04:27 PM Re: Works of art (photos of)
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
Flopsymopsy,
I suspect your image is of a rainwater deflection device, somewhat like a fountainhead. The water would come from a gutter in the top or rear and then spew outward with the great weight/force of the water behind it to project it out the mouth and well away from the building. These were from before the wide availability of downspout pipes. I think they were reproduced as ornamental spouts for 20th century buildings too.

Edited by mehaul (Sun Sep 04 2016 04:36 PM)

The ultimate activity is the Dream.

#1143991 - Sun Sep 04 2016 05:12 PM Re: Works of art (photos of)
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
I hope a frame capture of a work of art is acceptable in this thread. If so, I'd like to offer the great throne constructed for Cecil B. DeMille for his epic film, "Cleopatra". This image is of Claudette Colbert as Cleopatra on her throne at the moment of her death. They could have used shorter wings. No, their immense height adds to their regal nature.

Edited by flopsymopsy (Sun Sep 04 2016 05:35 PM)
Edit Reason: Deleting image - screen captures are not permitted

The ultimate activity is the Dream.

#1143992 - Sun Sep 04 2016 05:34 PM Re: Works of art (photos of)

Administrator

No, Mehaul, frame captures are not allowed. This forum is for photographs taken by members, not something captured from a movie created by someone else. I have deleted the image.

#1143994 - Sun Sep 04 2016 05:39 PM Re: Works of art (photos of)

Administrator

Originally Posted By: mehaul
Flopsymopsy,
I suspect your image is of a rainwater deflection device, somewhat like a fountainhead. The water would come from a gutter in the top or rear and then spew outward with the great weight/force of the water behind it to project it out the mouth and well away from the building. These were from before the wide availability of downspout pipes. I think they were reproduced as ornamental spouts for 20th century buildings too.

It was not a spout or a gargoyle, but an internal decorative object. I'm a European, mehaul, surrounded by ancient buildings with waterspouts and this wasn't one.

#1144001 - Sun Sep 04 2016 07:17 PM Re: Works of art (photos of)
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London UK           
Oh lovely job, my mum will be very pleased she started a new forum!

Winston Churchill surveying the green in Westerham where he lived.

#1144024 - Mon Sep 05 2016 06:02 AM Re: Works of art (photos of)
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong  Hong Kong      
I posted this before, but I love it. My daughter's winning entry in the Kelloggs Children's art competition, which was shown in the Art Gallery in the Mall in London. She was 8.

#1144029 - Mon Sep 05 2016 06:50 AM Re: Works of art (photos of)
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel Islands    
Originally Posted By: satguru
Oh lovely job, my mum will be very pleased she started a new forum!

Actually David there was and is already a forum/thread where your mother ought to be posting photos of her work, Photo-a-Day or even this thread are not really the correct home for them.

It might be an idea for us to move them over to the correct forum for her. Craft Circle - Photo Gallery5 in the Tips and Tricks forum. She can post up to one per day there of her paintings.

#1144068 - Mon Sep 05 2016 09:27 PM Re: Works of art (photos of)
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

I had no idea, I always thought photos could only go in this forum, so presumably it's been extended?

#1144075 - Tue Sep 06 2016 01:43 AM Re: Works of art (photos of)
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel Islands    
The photo gallery in Useful Tips and Tricks has been there since October 2007 so not many months after we started Photo-a-Day.

It is for any arts and crafts made by members for work that they have done. I will be posting a photo of an item that I finished last night.

#1144091 - Tue Sep 06 2016 09:20 AM Re: Works of art (photos of)
sisterseagull Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Torquay, Devon UK

This is a picture of an enormous stained glass panel that I took a few years ago at an Abbey in Normandy. Unfortunately I have lost my records as to who the artist was that produced this; the style is very similar to that of the Russian/French artist Marc Chagall.

If anyone can positively identify the artist responsible, I would be most grateful to know!

Edited by sisterseagull (Tue Sep 06 2016 09:21 AM)

#1144098 - Tue Sep 06 2016 12:52 PM Re: Works of art (photos of)

Administrator

Hmm... It's not Chagall, it is signed (bottom right, I can't read the name), but it's very lovely whoever it's by. smile

#1144105 - Tue Sep 06 2016 02:56 PM Re: Works of art (photos of)
TabbyTom Offline

Loc: Hastings Sussex England UK    
It seems to be the work of Jacques Le Chevallier (1896 - 1987), who I confess I'd never heard of until now. It was preserved in the artist's former studio and exhibited at various places including Notre-Dame de Paris (for which it was originally intended) and the abbey of Hambye in Normandy, which may be where you saw it.

There's a lot of info on the Notre-Dame website, though I can't find an English translation.

#1144108 - Tue Sep 06 2016 03:52 PM Re: Works of art (photos of)
sisterseagull Offline
Mainstay

Ah-ha! Thanks TabbyTom... That is exactly where I saw it; many thanks!

I have been searching for my original picture and the details that I took on the day for the last week or so without success, and then what happens? Within twenty minutes of you kindly telling me who it was by, my original USB stick turns up... Aaaargh!

Edited by sisterseagull (Tue Sep 06 2016 04:00 PM)

#1144109 - Tue Sep 06 2016 04:53 PM Re: Works of art (photos of)
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Originally Posted By: sue943
The photo gallery in Useful Tips and Tricks has been there since October 2007 so not many months after we started Photo-a-Day.

It is for any arts and crafts made by members for work that they have done. I will be posting a photo of an item that I finished last night.

I've always found hidden surprises here, there's another one!

#1144111 - Tue Sep 06 2016 04:53 PM Re: Works of art (photos of)
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Excuse me, I thought I'd posted in the photo thread. I've swapped it to where it should be now.

Edited by satguru (Wed Sep 07 2016 09:41 PM)

#1144112 - Tue Sep 06 2016 05:38 PM Re: Works of art (photos of)

Administrator

I don't consider a long straight road to be a work of art. Wrong forum? Please post somewhere else.

#1144523 - Mon Sep 12 2016 06:38 AM Re: Works of art (photos of)
sisterseagull Offline
Mainstay

Here are two more examples of civic art from the city of Exeter. The statues are figures of 'Hope' and 'Despair'. The pair were, for a number of years, located high up on a pair of buildings facing each other in what was known as the Princesshay precinct. The old precinct was one of those awful post-war concrete carbuncles; however, after the Luftwaffe's Baedeker raids on Exeter during May 1942, the city needed to be regenerated, and quickly! The statues were created by craftsman Darsie Rawlins, an ecclesiastical sculptor, and were unveiled on 26 June 1957 by the Mayor of Exeter, Mr Ronald Hay Creasey. Rawlins was born in 1912 at Kentmere, Westmorland and later became a Fellow of the Royal Society of British Sculptors – he passed away in 2003.

During the early 2000's the old precinct was demolished and the new Princesshay shopping complex was built in its place. During rebuilding work these statues, along with a number of other examples of civic art, were put into storage for safe-keeping until works had been completed. They now occupy positions very high up in the centre of the complex, pretty much out of sight, which is a great shame.

The most surprising thing about these statues is that no-one living locally, at least those that I have spoken to, knew of their location; even the city's tourist office AND the public library of all places had no idea that they even existed.

The thin netting that the pair are enveloped in is there purely to protect them from the corrosive effects of pigeon poop!

Edited by sisterseagull (Mon Sep 12 2016 06:47 AM)

#1146031 - Thu Sep 29 2016 11:56 AM Re: Works of art (photos of)
sisterseagull Offline
Mainstay

Does this wooden carving constitute a work of art?

This work, a crucifix known as a 'Rood' or 'Holyrood' is suspended above the pulpitum within 'Ty Dewi', or Saint David's Cathedral, in the city of the same name in the county of Pembrokeshire in the far west of Wales. This example is a recent 20th Century replacement for the original that was believed to date back many hundreds of years.

The cathedral is unique for a building of its type and size in that its roof and vaulting are constructed entirely from wood, Irish oak in fact; the reason for this material being used was that an earthquake during the 13th Century caused the Cathedral's western walls to lean outward and further construction and repairs using the more traditional stone being unfeasible at that time.

Edited by sisterseagull (Thu Sep 29 2016 12:05 PM)

#1148070 - Fri Oct 21 2016 04:12 AM Re: Works of art (photos of)
sisterseagull Offline
Mainstay

The Archangel Michael; a sculpture housed within the Abbey at Mont St. Michel, Normandy, France.

Edited by sisterseagull (Fri Oct 21 2016 04:14 AM)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  flopsymopsy