Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#1143983 - Sun Sep 04 2016 03:02 PM Turning on Cookies
Buddy1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Arkansas USA
Starting yesterday, whenever I come here to FunTrivia, I am asked to log on even when I don't log off. I eventually saw the message in the log-on screen that says cookies may be turned off and I should turn them on. I'm not sure how to do that. I tried googling it but that didn't help. I went to the supposed location but I couldn't find the actual buttons to click. I have Internet Explorer 11 and that's what I typed when I tried to google the question.
I think there might have been a thread already started about this, but if I'm not wrong, then I can't find it. Can anyone help me with my problem?

#1143987 - Sun Sep 04 2016 04:12 PM Re: Turning on Cookies
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
This is a guess at what went wrong and how to proceed. I'm guessing you clicked on the gear icon and selected tools. There's another tools menu option with more selections available. On an open area of your header region, right click and turn on the menu bar. There is a 'tools' option there that I believe has the option to turn cookies on. It may be under the pop-up blocking menu. But I may be wrong and I don't dare fiddle with my settings to find out if I'm correct. I'm fairly certain though that you need to turn on the menu bar to get there.

The ultimate activity is the Dream.

#1143988 - Sun Sep 04 2016 04:16 PM Re: Turning on Cookies
flopsymopsy Offline

Administrator

Loc: Northampton England UK
I don't use IE but a quick Google search took me to a page which says that IE11 disables cookies by default, which isn't very helpful of it. Try this to see if it works:

Click on the Tools icon (gearbox) and select Internet Options
Click on Privacy, then on Advanced
Click on box labeled Override Automatic Cookie Handlie
Under First Party cookies, click on Accept
Under Third Party cookies click on either Block or Prompt. (If you choose Prompt, you may get asked to accept cookies from sites you didn't realise you were linked to; if nothing else it's a lesson in how linked various sites are, through advertising, data collection, etc.)
In the box labeled "Always accept session cookies" I would select that as those cookies are what makes shopping baskets work, and sometimes membership sites use them too - this type of cookie is always deleted when you close the tab/browser.)
Then click OK to exit popups.

You may find your layout is different according to which operating system you use but the basic steps should be more or less the same. It might be useful to empty your cache and reboot before going through the above process. Let us know if it works - or not.

#1143995 - Sun Sep 04 2016 06:34 PM Re: Turning on Cookies
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
I thought the menu bar I think because I remembered going there for cookies. I now think it may have been to access the "Help" facility of IE 11. If flopsymopsy's advice fails (which I doubt) you could also go through the IE 11 help routine for changing cookie status.

The ultimate activity is the Dream.

Moderator:  flopsymopsy, ladymacb29