Rules
Terms of Use

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1144663 - Tue Sep 13 2016 10:33 PM MeTV
gracious1 Offline
Prolific

Loc: New York USA
Really love MeTV, a network that exclusively shows classic TV. It's generally found as a sub-channel for over-the-air networks here in the USA.

They've added a big block of Irwin Allen so-bad-it's-good sci-fi shows in the wee hours of Sat. nite/Sun. morning. Many of these I have only heard of, but have never seen, or have hardly seen any episdoes, so I'm really looking forward to it. They are getting rid of "Emergency!" at the end of the year, however.

#1144676 - Wed Sep 14 2016 12:39 AM Re: MeTV
MiraJane Offline
Prolific

A "sub-channel"? I've never heard of a "sub-channel". It's a local channel that broadcasts out of New Jersey. Like many small local channels, it broadcasts syndicated shows.

#1144683 - Wed Sep 14 2016 01:21 AM Re: MeTV
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
I think gracious means that the network is picked up by local stations (WHERever) and is broadcast during the nighttime hours when they have no local content to fill the time (a syndicated block of programming). They show many old US shows (Columbo, Perry Mason and other such fare) on weekends. They've had Gomer Pyle on. Baa Baa Black Sheep. On cable they run a full days worth of oldies. Gunsmoke, Wanted Dead or Alive, Rawhide, The Rifleman, Streets of San Francisco, The Saint, Peter Gunn, Mr. Lucky and Mannix to name a few more.

See here that it began in Chicago and expanded to Milwaukee. It has always allowed for promotional ads that make the syndication seem like a "local" product.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MeTV

Edited by mehaul (Wed Sep 14 2016 01:28 AM)

The ultimate activity is the Dream.

#1144687 - Wed Sep 14 2016 02:49 AM Re: MeTV
gracious1 Offline
Prolific

No I meant sub-channel. Digital channels have sub-channels. In Syracuse, the main channel is WSYR, channel 9, or rather, channel 9.1, which carries ABC . It has some sub-channels that carry MeTV (9.2) and Bounce (9.3). In Louisville, it is also on a sub-channel for WLKY, which is their ABC affiliate.

It could be in other markets it's on a main channel.

And I just reread the posts. Yeah, Mehaul got it partially right. MeTV is a network. It is localized ("Thank you, Louisville/Syracuse/Daytona/whatever, for making MeTV #1...") in every market.

But it is 24 hours a day. Some local stations will pre-empt certain hours of MeTV for local programming or for some other syndicated show they've purchased. Well, come to think of it, it could be some stations only show MeTV at night. I guess it depends on the market. But MeTV has programming available 24 hrs./day, whether your local affiliate pre-empts some of it or not.

#1144689 - Wed Sep 14 2016 02:53 AM Re: MeTV
gracious1 Offline
Prolific

Getting back to programming changes, I wonder if I wrote to MeTV, would they tell me why they are dumping Emergency!, and what they will put in its place?

I wish they would bring back the old detective shows like Cannon and The Streets of San Francisco. Right now, all they've got is Kojak, and of course Columbo, and sometimes they show MacMillan & Wife or McCloud.

They also took away CHiPs, which made me very sad, because there are still a whole lot of episodes of that one that I never have caught.

#1144692 - Wed Sep 14 2016 03:38 AM Re: MeTV
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

MeTv has about 100 affiliate stations it supplies content to.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Me-TV_affiliates

The Digital Subchannel is a new concept with digital broadcasting which I was unfamiliar with (I have cable, not broadcast, but I plan to hook up a free TV receiver so the new digital lesson is appreciated.) If I read the wiki stuff correct, the digital subchannel is a new area for MeTV. They mostly cover regular digital broadcasting on most of their 100 affiliates.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_subchannel

#1144693 - Wed Sep 14 2016 06:26 AM Re: MeTV
gracious1 Offline
Prolific

Well, I have cable, too. Time-Warner splits most of the sub-channels into separate channels for those with a (digital) box. Or without a box, you can still get it directly if you have a digital TV. All of the virtual channels in that table that end .2 or greater are sub-channels.

Anyway, should I write MeTV?

#1144710 - Wed Sep 14 2016 10:58 AM Re: MeTV
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
I like it too. And our CW channel has one called Heroes and Icons that has a block of *uncut* Star Trek shows - they do every series in a block for five hours a night.

Editor for Television Category

#1144760 - Wed Sep 14 2016 06:04 PM Re: MeTV
veronikkamarrz Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Carson City
Nevada USA 
I don't have cable anymore, and MeTV is one of my favorite channels. I usually start at 1:00pm, with "Gunsmoke," I skip "Bonanza" at 2:00. At 3:00, I watch "The Rifleman" and then,(while it lasts) it's "Emergency" from 4:00 to 6:00.

I do not miss "CHiP's" but I did enjoy it years ago. On the weekends, MeTV is awful, with "Gilligan's Island" and "The Brady Bunch" over, and over.

#1144766 - Wed Sep 14 2016 08:40 PM Re: MeTV
MiraJane Offline
Prolific

MeTV may be a sub-channel on your system gracious but it isn't channel in reality. It is a full blown network. On other cable systems, as noted, even digital ones, MeTV is on 24 hours a day and not interrupted by other programming from another channel.

#1144777 - Wed Sep 14 2016 10:19 PM Re: MeTV
gracious1 Offline
Prolific

Hi, MJ.

I think you might be misunderstanding me. Yes, it is a network, with 24-hour-a-day programming. I said that in a previous post. (I wrote, "MeTV is a network," and later in that post I wrote, "But it is 24 hours a day.") So we are saying the same thing. laugh

I also pointed out that some local affiliates carry it on a sub-channel, and some local affiliates pre-empt the programming at various times. So it is different in different markets.

Glancing at the list of MeTV affiliates offered by Wikipedia, and assuming it is up-to-date, it appears that there are more local stations that carry MeTV on a virtual sub-channel (anything x.2 or higher) than carry it on their main channel stream (x.1 or a number without a decimal). I didn't actually count, so I could be wrong about how the stations are carrying MeTV.

I see that WJLP carries MeTV on 33.1. They also carry Justice Network on 33.2, Escape on 33.3, and Grit on 33.4. So I am really envious because we don't get any of those networks here!

When I said MeTV was localized, I meant there are local bumpers/promos, like "Thank you, Syracuse..." and "Thank you, Louisville...", and "You are watching MeTV on WSYR 9.2", and so forth.

#1144779 - Wed Sep 14 2016 10:30 PM Re: MeTV
gracious1 Offline
Prolific

Originally Posted By: veronikkamarrz
I don't have cable anymore, and MeTV is one of my favorite channels. I usually start at 1:00pm, with "Gunsmoke," I skip "Bonanza" at 2:00. At 3:00, I watch "The Rifleman" and then,(while it lasts) it's "Emergency" from 4:00 to 6:00.

I do not miss "CHiP's" but I did enjoy it years ago. On the weekends, MeTV is awful, with "Gilligan's Island" and "The Brady Bunch" over, and over.

I don't know if you saw the promos, but Emergency! is going away after the end of the year. frown They didn't say what will replace it. Oh you did say, "while it lasts", so I guess you know the bad news!

WSYR pre-empts Gunsmoke on weekdays with Dr. Oz (!), so I'll never get to see it. frown

You are right that MeTV is awful on on Sundays. They used to have old detective shows on Sundays, and now it's the sitcoms you mentioned. Let's write MeTV and ask them to bring back the detective shows!!

At least on Sunday late-night they have Mary Tyler Moore and Taxi and Bob Newhart.

#1146759 - Thu Oct 06 2016 11:23 PM Re: MeTV
gracious1 Offline
Prolific

So sad the MeTV is getting rid of Emergency! at the end of the year. I wonder what will replace it?

I wonder if they are getting rid of anything else.

#1147192 - Wed Oct 12 2016 05:46 PM Re: MeTV
gracious1 Offline
Prolific

So I saw the commercials for the new MeTV streaming music service. Has anybody tried it yet? I wonder how they make any money from it?

#1147195 - Wed Oct 12 2016 06:38 PM Re: MeTV
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
Is it free or do you have to pay for it?

Editor for Television Category

#1148818 - Fri Oct 28 2016 12:29 AM Re: MeTV
gracious1 Offline
Prolific

It is free!

#1148819 - Fri Oct 28 2016 12:50 AM Re: MeTV
gracious1 Offline
Prolific

Oops! That reminds me... I'm missing Kojak!

#1148824 - Fri Oct 28 2016 01:50 AM Re: MeTV
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

With my Comcast, MeTV is part of my Basic Digital Starter line up. So it has a cost but not above the basic cable fee (which isn't near basic). I'm not sure if it's locally broadcast by a local transmitter/broadcaster (what used to be UHF channels, I think they're still UltraHigh Frequency but digital rather than analog).

#1148946 - Sat Oct 29 2016 01:53 AM Re: MeTV
gracious1 Offline
Prolific

Correct, though high-band UHF (ch. 52-83) are gone. And VHF for analog TV is gone, too. It's all digital on UHF low & medium bands (ch. 14-51).

Getting back to MeTV....

I am really happy with the red-eye sci-fi block with the Irwin Allen shows. I record them every Saturday night!

Edited by gracious1 (Wed Nov 09 2016 08:32 PM)
Edit Reason: corrected time

#1150248 - Wed Nov 09 2016 06:30 PM Re: MeTV
veronikkamarrz Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Carson City
Nevada USA 
I discovered another "oldies" channel that is also free. It's called: "Antenna-TV." On my menu, it's listed as 2.2. I have seen: Hazel, Leave it to Beaver, Gidget, The Patty Duke Show, Paladin and many more.

Antenna TV seems to be like MeTV, with a different line up of shows. Very nice!

Edited by veronikkamarrz (Wed Nov 09 2016 06:30 PM)

#1150261 - Wed Nov 09 2016 08:31 PM Re: MeTV
gracious1 Offline
Prolific

So envious! We don't get that channel here.

#1155494 - Fri Jan 06 2017 04:15 PM Re: MeTV
HairyBear Offline
Mainstay

I started watching MeTV when I lived in northwest Indiana, so I was happy when it started being carried on other networks down here in Florida. A lot of the shows on there were my favorites for years, including M*A*S*H and Twilight Zone and even Emergency! and The Rifleman when I was a kid, but now I've seen them all, and I've seen all the Bonanza episodes MeTV has access to, which seems to be considerably fewer than were originally broadcast, so I'm tired of them and ready for something else. I missed the short period when MeTV was playing Barney Miller regularly, and I missed when they were playing the rarely-seen one hour episodes of TZ from the fourth season on the weekend, I wish they would bring those back. Donna Reed was stunningly beautiful, but I find the show nauseatingly sweet and not very funny. They play the chopped versions of Star Trek, and since I know those by heart, I notice every time they cut a scene. Same thing with M*A*S*H, but as I said, I have quit watching that one.

#1156256 - Tue Jan 17 2017 08:59 AM Re: MeTV
frosty123 Offline
Participant

Loc: North Dakota USA
I really want to see more medical shows on metv. Since they're taking emergency off of metv.

#1156551 - Sat Jan 21 2017 05:23 AM Re: MeTV
gracious1 Offline
Prolific

Originally Posted By: frosty123
I really want to see more medical shows on metv. Since they're taking emergency off of metv.

I'm with you! Let's write them and ask them to bring back Quincy, and maybe add Marcus Welby, M.D. to their lineup.

I would also like to see them move M*A*S*H (hey, that's medical, too!) to a different time slot. Right now, my local TV station pre-empts the 7-o'clock hour with news, so I never get to see one of my favorite programs. frown

But golly gee, 2 whole hours of 1980s MacGyver every day. sick
Perhaps they are hoping to attract an audience of those who are watching the new MacGyver?????

#1156552 - Sat Jan 21 2017 05:33 AM Re: MeTV
gracious1 Offline
Prolific

Originally Posted By: HairyBear
They play the chopped versions of Star Trek, and since I know those by heart, I notice every time they cut a scene.

Yes, so do I. I had to stop watching Star Trek when from the Tribble episode they cut the funniest scene -- where Kirk is interrogating Scottie after the bar fight. (See link below.) That was the straw that broke the camel's back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rsZfcz3h1s

I couldn't believe it when they did this. I had recorded the broadcast, and I kept rewinding and forwarding thru the episode, convinced I must have missed it somehow! How could they remove that?!

I don't know the other programs on their sci-fi lineup as well, so I continue to watch them[*]. But I do know that they take chunks out of each of them. Sometimes the editing is rather obvious, too.

[*]Except for Lost in Space, where I do recognize the cuts b/c I have been watching that show as long as Star Trek.

Edited by gracious1 (Sat Jan 21 2017 05:36 AM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ladymacb29, SilverMoonsong