Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#1173209 - Yesterday at 04:26 AM Just wondering
Creedy Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Coffs Harbour NSW Australia  
Hello smile

I was just wondering - it's not a request, just a query - that if we get an exceptionally good question in a quiz on the daily Duel, whether some day when you're not busy (Oh ho ho ho), if there was some way to send a compliment to the author of that question?

I've just played one about a remarkable Japanese man, a diplomat in Europe, who issued visas to over 6,000 Jewish people fleeing persecution during WWII. He couldn't get his staff to do them so "wrote them all out feverishly by hand" himself, working up to 20 hours a day to so before the consulate was closed. "He was still writing visas while in transit from his hotel and after boarding the train at the Kaunas Railway Station, throwing visas into the crowd of desperate refugees out of the train's window even as the train pulled out. In final desperation, blank sheets of paper with only the consulate seal and his signature (that could be later written over into a visa) were hurriedly prepared and flung out from the train" to the desperate refugees".

It was a remarkable thing to do - and an excellent question.

His name was Chiune Sugihara and he said after the war that he had to after seeing "... refugees face to face, begging with tears in their eyes...among the refugees were the elderly and women. They were so desperate that they went so far as to kiss my shoes, Yes, I actually witnessed such scenes with my own eyes...I knew that somebody would surely complain about me in the future. But...this (was) the right thing to do"

#1173214 - Yesterday at 05:59 AM Re: Just wondering
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel Islands    
One easy option, perhaps, would be to take the whole quiz later then to rate it and send a compliment.

#1173215 - Yesterday at 06:30 AM Re: Just wondering
trident Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Wisconsin USA
Well...that wouldn't quite work for questions submitted as single questions, which I think this one is since it looks a little familiar...

Editor: World and General

#1173217 - Yesterday at 07:07 AM Re: Just wondering
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel Islands    
Ah right. smile

#1173219 - Yesterday at 07:39 AM Re: Just wondering
Creedy Offline
Mainstay

Yes, it doesn't say who wrote it. Single question ie.

#1173220 - Yesterday at 07:53 AM Re: Just wondering
spanishliz Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: Ontario Canada
I'm pretty sure that the author's name is given at the end of the interesting info for all Duel questions, whether they come from a quiz or the single question pool. I've just played a couple of top level Duel categories (People and World), and while no quiz title appears (indicating single questions), the author's name is given in each case at the end of the info.

#1173225 - Yesterday at 09:24 AM Re: Just wondering
postcards2go Offline
Prolific

Loc: New York City USA
The author's name shows at the end of the Interesting Information for each *individual* question. It does not show after you've taken the entire Duel, when you click to see all the answers. It would be nice to be able to see who wrote the individual questions after taking all 10 questions. To stop in the middle, and write down a person's name, really stops the flow while taking a timed quiz.

#1173241 - Yesterday at 12:53 PM Re: Just wondering
spanishliz Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: Ontario Canada
You don't lose any time though, as the timer doesn't start until you hit Next and the next question appears. I found that out when my phone rang in the middle of a duel, and though I feared I'd lose the whole thing, only one question 'timed out' and I was able to continue playing the rest.

#1173246 - Yesterday at 03:11 PM Re: Just wondering
postcards2go Offline
Prolific

Loc: New York City USA
You don't lose any time, but you lose momentum. I'm just not inclined to grab a pen and a piece of paper in the middle of a quiz. The quiz bot mixed quizzes do show the authors of the individual questions at the end, so it seems to be possible.

#1173271 - Today at 12:53 AM Re: Just wondering
Creedy Offline
Mainstay

There's nothing on the individual questions when playing a quiz in the Duel to indicate authorship - and there's nothing on the "Display Entire Quiz" page either.

#1173276 - 26 minutes 1 second ago Re: Just wondering
lonely-lady Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: England UK
There is on the answer page after each individual question, at the bottom inside brackets

Moderator:  Terry