Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#118135 - Sun Jun 30 2002 03:15 PM Get a cat
Linda1 Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Munchkinland
This is my tip for the day!

For that last 30 minutes, I've been hearing a rustling sound in the corner of my dining room. Thinking that it was a huge tree roach, I wasn't all that thrilled about delving into the source of the sound.

But, my cat wasn't scared! He thought it was a game. He's been looking and listening for the sound. Every once in a while, he would go to where he thought it was coming from and listen really carefully. I figured I'd let him make the thing scurry out, and I'd be ready with a shoe!

Finally, I could tell he had the thing cornered. I pulled out a box that seemed to be between him and the "thing" (with my shoe handy!) and looked.

It turned out to be just a cricket. And, I was able to get it outside where it belongs.

But, my advice for dealing with unknown "bug sounds" is to have a cat handy! They can hear the sound and flush out the bug in places where you dare not put your hand.

What a good boy I have!

#118136 - Mon Jul 01 2002 04:33 AM Re: Get a cat
Miaow Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: East London
What is a tree roach? It sounds awful!!

My cat is very good at snuffling out the insects too!! It's good as she stuns them - I can then think of a way to pick them up and get rid of them and my concience is clear that they aren't dead by my hand!!

#118137 - Mon Jul 01 2002 07:36 AM Re: Get a cat
Linda1 Offline
Star Poster

Click here

Far left-hand side. The real thing is only slightly smaller!

Oh, and they can fly at you.

#118138 - Mon Jul 01 2002 02:46 PM Re: Get a cat
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
So glad I didn't come to visit you earlier this year! I can't even stand ants.

#118139 - Wed Jul 03 2002 08:44 PM Re: Get a cat
fjohn Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Wyoming USA Way Out West
We have 3 cats, Linda1 and you're right about them finding bugs and other things that bump around in the night.
Ours have eaten their fill of miller moths for this summer and have begun to sample the new grasshoppers. However, unless you can 'read' and anticipate your pussycat's actions it really gets freaky when one or all of them sit and stare at a closed door. Brrrr.

#118140 - Fri Jul 12 2002 07:51 AM Re: Get a cat
Samantha Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: New Jersey
You are so right! I really hate it when you are trying to sleep and there's a "click beetle" or Japanese Beatle flying around the room , banging into the walls, etc, I can't get to sleep because I keep thinking it'll land on me when I'm asleep and crawl up my nose or something! I can NEVER find him when the light is back on and it drives me crazy - so I bring the cat in, he listens and "tells" me exactly where he is!

#118141 - Fri Jul 12 2002 08:28 AM Re: Get a cat
Linda1 Offline
Star Poster

lol! Ok, first of all, I don't want things crawling up Samantha's nose in the middle of the night! That doesn't sound pleasant.

For some reason, we didn't have many June bugs this year. I saw one at the beginning of June, but that was it. Usually, my boy likes to play with them. I don't think he actually eats them, but they are tons of fun to chase around the room, apparently!

He once found a gecko. Ate it so quickly, that I didn't have a chance to rescue the poor thing. Then, he sat by the door for the next few days - I suppose hoping another "treat" would come under the door! As if that one, in its dying breath, didn't warn its friends?! ("Run! There's a crazy, homicidal cat in here! Don't come near the door!")

#118142 - Sat Jul 13 2002 05:09 AM Re: Get a cat
TabbyTom Offline

Loc: Hastings Sussex England UK    
My last cat was a big 13-lb tom. He would kill and eat mice and sparrows, but he never seemed to bother with insects. I think he reckoned that they were beneath his notice.

#118143 - Sat Jul 13 2002 03:10 PM Re: Get a cat
sue943 Offline

Administrator

I didn't have any mice until I got some cats, obviously noting the lack of such creatures one of mine set about rectifying the deficit - so helpful.

#118144 - Wed Jul 17 2002 12:35 PM Re: Get a cat
Vanyar Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Canada
Right now I'm living in a house with five cats, yes that's right five. I agree that cats are wonderful hunters and protectors of the peace, but they have a definite down side. I'm certain all of you have had this happen at least once, so picture this . . .

It's late at night, all the lights are turned out so the house is completely dark. Your faithful cat sits on the corner of your bed sound asleep, but it's heightened hearing and sight are always on alert (for you protection of course). You lie awake, watching your feline friend sleep soundly at your feet.

Suddenly you purrfect pet sits up alert as if something has startled it from its slumber. It looks out into the darkness that is your hallway as if it has seen the most hellish creature on earth, and then proceeds to go right back to sleep. You however, lie awake for the rest of the night with your mind imagining all the creeping things that your cat could have seen that you did not.

I love my cats.

#118145 - Wed Jul 17 2002 12:37 PM Re: Get a cat
Linda1 Offline
Star Poster

I'm laughing so hard at this! I know EXACTLY what you mean!

They're back asleep with no worries in the world. You, on the other hand, are terrified!

#118146 - Thu Jul 25 2002 02:29 PM Re: Get a cat
valois Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
What I'm going to say will be about as popular as the plague, but my curiosity has made me brave. I don't understand what people see in cats. I realize that there is nothing cuter than a kitten...but then they grow up. Why can't cats be more like dogs?

When I come home, my little Shih T'zu, Isis, gives me an excited and loving greeting. Tail wagging, waiting for a pat or a kiss. And it doesn't matter if I'm gone 5 seconds or 5 hours; he's always so happy to see me. Most cats I've seen, when the owner comes home, just stares as if to say, "I see you're home. A bit later than usual, but you're home."

When I feed Isis, he's excited, tail wagging, can't wait to dig in. A cat may approach the dish if he feels like it, sniff, look at you as if to say, "Is this it?" and then proceed back to his spot in the sun. And my little Isis would NEVER bring the carcass of something he killed, clenched between his jaws, in to me to appreciate.

Isis loves to be cuddled. Most cats I've been around will let you cuddle them if they feel like letting you cuddle them. It seems that you have to love a cat on the cat's terms.

Isis loves a walk on his leash. I've never seen a cat on a leash. They seem to want to lurk around looking for something to kill. This is one thing I have against cat owners; they let their cats out to roam without any regard for the animal's safety. It breaks my heart to see a dead cat by the side of the road. This is just pure cruelty and irresponsibility.

And, finally, cats stare, and stare, and stare. I'm afraid that would drive me crazy, feeling that someone was watching me.

Well, there you have it. How I feel about cats. Be gentle when and if you reply....remember I said that there was nothing cuter than a kitten.

#118147 - Thu Jul 25 2002 02:50 PM Re: Get a cat
Linda1 Offline
Star Poster

ARE YOU KIDDING?!

My boy greets me at the door when I come home. If I don't immediately acknowledge him, he'll follow me around until I pick him up and give him kisses.

Most of the time, he needs to be in the same room that I'm in. There have been times when I've needed to go room to room and back again - perhaps packing for a trip or putting clothes away or something. Poor thing! I start to feel sorry for him, because he follows me to each room. And, sometimes, I'll only be going into a room to put one thing away and will be coming right back again. But, he's there. And, I can tell he's thinking, "Would you please just stay still already?! I'm exhausted!"

Sometimes, I'll be in the shower and hear him calling me. I have to poke my head out and say, "I'm in here. Just come sit on the floor until I'm through."

A lot of mornings, I awaken to him sitting on top of me, usually sound asleep himself. He's like a little alarm clock sometimes, wakening me with kisses.

He likes to have me sit there while he eats. Sometimes, I can tell that he's waited all day to eat, so I can be there with him.

My boy loves to sit in the room with me while I watch tv or read. He doesn't stare at me. In fact, he's just as happy to snooze while I'm sitting there with him.

He absolutely LOVES me to give him headbumps. And, I've discovered that rubbing my nose over his head makes him purr like almost nothing else does.

I'm in total agreement with you on the letting cats outdoors thing. Cats should be indoors only. It's the only way to keep them safe.

My little boy wouldn't know what to do with a mouse or other rodent even if we did have them. Granted, he did ferret out the bug for me. But, I wanted him to do that. It was either he do it or I do it. And, I quickly made that choice! Had it been a dog, I still would have insisted that the animal get whatever the noisemaker was out of there! I wasn't crazy about doing it.

I think you've been around the wrong kind of cats, V! I've never had one like the ones you're describing, and I've had cats all my life.

Baby, my precious kitty that died just a couple of years ago, couldn't get close enough to you to cuddle. My favorite thing was waking up with her up against me. She wanted to snuggle so much. (I'm going to have to stop on this part, because I think it's still too soon to talk about that. I can already feel the emotion inside me.)

#118148 - Thu Jul 25 2002 03:32 PM Re: Get a cat
valois Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
Well,your reply made me sniffle! I hope you're happy!

It's true...I haven't been around that many cats. And certainly not around a cat that you describe. The first cat I was ever around belonged to a former boss of mine. He invited me over for dinner one night and, upon entering his living room, I complimented him on the beautiful area rug he had in front of his fireplace. Then I noticed that the rug had a head. That was the biggest cat I had ever seen. And mean. I went up to it and said, "Hello, kitty!" and was greeted with a loud, "RRRRAAWWWW!" and a scratch on my arm that drew blood. And that damn cat climbed on a table and stared at me the entire night. I couldn't wait to leave. I did feel bad (a little) a few years later when the cat got fluffed to death. My boss' wife threw some things in the dryer, turned it on, and didn't know that the cat was in the dryer. The cat was dead, but I understand his coat never looked better.

A neighbor had a cat that used to climb and shred the curtains until they had him declawed, which seems a little cruel to me. That one wasn't particularly friendly either.

I guess my problem is that I basically like animals, and will go up to one, let it smell my hand, and then caress or pet it. Cats don't seem to be as receptive as dogs to this.

Your cat sounds a lot like Isis.....I stand corrected.

Edited by valois (Thu Jul 25 2002 03:35 PM)

#118149 - Thu Jul 25 2002 03:35 PM Re: Get a cat
Linda1 Offline
Star Poster

At 18 lbs, I have a feeling he's a bit bigger than Isis, though. It's his breed - they tend to be bigger. No really!

#118150 - Thu Jul 25 2002 03:42 PM Re: Get a cat
lefois Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kitimat BritishColumbia Canada
I have to agree with you, Linda. (...and Mr. V...you're so smitten with your puppy it wouldn't take long for the right cat to steal your heart!)

Today when I came home from dropping off my daughter at work (about 5 minutes), my cat was sitting on the balcony overlooking my driveway and meowing and sticking his head through the rails like he was going to jump! When I entered the door he thundered down the stairs. I couldn't take a step without him underfoot.

My cat does not wait for the dish to be filled on YOUR time. If he sees you heading for the kitchen (from any direction), he will do this funny "trot" thing with his tail all bushed up and waving in the air like a ring tailed lemur! He will stay a constant two feet in front of you...then open the appropriate "cat food" cupboard and look at you beseechingly. If you choose not to feed him right then, he will sit stubbornly and quietly for about five minutes attempting to guilt you into it!

My cat is the snuggliest! Always. Anywhere. If you are not "prone" he sits on your feet. Not just YOUR feet, but any stranger that may be in the house or come inside the front door collecting for something or anyone at all! And he's lately developed a new snuggle habit. If I'm sitting at the kitchen table (and there's no one there, cause cat's are not ALLOWED on the table!) he props himself against my chest and drapes his chin and right paw over the crook of my arm. This new habit was a little warm last week at 30c+, but I'm just showing he's affectionate.

My cat doesn't go outside at all, unless he "escapes", which is rare. He once got out when my mother was visiting and was gone for 24 hours! That was scary. But the older he gets the sooner he comes back! Actually, if a take a can of cat "treats" and shake it outside the front door, he's a real sucker. Comes running immediately!

A cat on a leash is rather awkward! They just don't follow like a dog, that's true. And when you take them for a "drag", folks complain! But I did have neighbours whose cat would follow along behind them for their entire 4k daily walk!

As for cats staring at you....well...actually V....don't you think EVERYONE'S staring at you??? I think that was covered in a different thread!

#118151 - Sun Jul 28 2002 10:03 PM Re: Get a cat
Vanyar Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Canada
Just a brief thing about the differences between cats and dogs, from someone who loves both types of animals.

1. A dog loves you from day one, and loves you even more as he/she gets to know you.
BUT
You must earn a cat's love and respect.

2. Dogs think their owners are gods, cats think they are gods.

#118152 - Mon Jul 29 2002 07:37 AM Re: Get a cat
Paradis Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Somewhere out there
How nicely put, and oh so true.
If you have a cat for a pet, you have to realise they run things, you don't
Dogs are happy to be told what to do. Cats will just eye you up and down and say, yeah yeah

#118153 - Mon Jul 29 2002 11:09 AM Re: Get a cat
sue943 Offline

Administrator

My cats would get very upset if I didn't let them roam free, it has to be said that I chose the house with the cat in mind, a seven feet six inch wall around the garden (to keep kittens safe - I thought) and when they were big enough to climb the walls t(he)y would find a lovely common complete with rabbits and no cars.

As for intelligent, my daughter says that Henry (one of the cats) ignores all the cars which pass our house then will suddenly get up and go to the window, then I drive onto our forecourt, he knows my car by sound well before she can hear it.

Moderator:  ren33, SilverMoonsong