Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Topic Options
#119047 - Tue Jul 09 2002 05:48 AM Jell-O
gillyharold Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Davison Michigan USA          
Style your hair.
A teaspoon of Jell-O dissolved in a cup of warmwater makes an inexpensive setting lotion. Or use prepared Jell-O asyou would any hair gel product.

Make marshmallows.
Gelatin is the main ingredient in any cookbook for marshmallows.

Make Wine Jell-O.
The Joy of Cooking suggests boiling one cup water,mixing with gelatin powder in a bowl until dissolved, then adding onecup red wine. Stir well, then refrigerate for four hours or until mixture gels. Serves four.

Wrestle in Jell-O.
Pour 2,347 boxes of Jell-O into an eight-foot-square padded box, add boiling water, and chill for two days.

Watch seedlings grow roots.
For a great science experiment for children, grow seeds in Jell-O and observe the root structures.

"Jell-O" is a registered trademark of Kraft Foods, Inc.

#119048 - Thu Jul 11 2002 12:54 AM Re: Jell-O
lefois Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kitimat BritishColumbia Canada
When I was in Sardegna (Italy), we had to stay with my husband's family. I didn't make much of an impression as the Canadian wife as I couldn't butcher lambs, make cheese or iron his shirts on a flat table! My stone-wash-tub technique brought a few looks, too. However, after a few weeks, I decided I would make a meal, sort of a North American meal. My husband's brother (where we were staying) had been a cook in worker camps here when they opened up the north of British Columbia and had never shared the "cuisine" with his family, but he was eager! There was a sad attempt at burgers, which DID use beef of some sort (ground meat isn't popular in that town)...and some sort of bun that was round. I could get processed cheese slices...Kraft, even!...and fries are sort of universal, I suppose, in some form or other....Ketchup (Heinz) was available in these teen tiny bottles...I think they thought it was medicine or something...and I believe I made a salad MY way, because I had actually had my arm grabbed when shredding lettuce because they didn't DO it that way, there! Geez. Anyway, my dessert selection was a jello/dreamwhip cheesecake, the recipe I knew off the top of my head. It's very light and refreshing in the hot weather! SO....jello? jello? gelatin??? jelly powder...look look....The International Foods section??? I dunno...it was nowhere to be found. No Jello. How could I make my cheesecake without it? My husband wasn't even too sure what it was in English, let alone trying to explain it to the clerk in Sardegnian! Anyway, all I could lay my hands on was a German brand of gelatin I think you use for making headcheese or something. I substituted Dr. Oetker somethingorother for the dream whip (interpreting the German directions as I went), made a short type base crust instead of graham crumb crust (don't even go there!)...and flavoured it up with some sugar and fresh peaches! Well............

I'll say no more.............just another thing I couldn't do!

That's my jello story!

#119049 - Thu Jul 11 2002 05:45 PM Re: Jell-O
jubjub Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Southern Ontario, Canada
Kinda butchered the original recipe JUST a TAD, don't you think, sister dear? I'm sitting here laughing my head off. You never told me this one.......I mean, SOMETIMES you can substitute SOME ingredients, but, my GAWD!

Edited by blue (Tue Jul 16 2002 06:20 PM)

Moderator:  ren33, SilverMoonsong