Rules
Terms of Use

Page 3 of 19 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 18 19 >
Topic Options
#1198575 - Fri Jun 15 2018 12:27 PM Re: 2018 World Cup
Lpez Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Mexico
Another close one for Spain! The referee indicates that there is no goal. The Spanish players were asking for VAR, but the ref clearly indicated that his watch with goal-line technology did not vibrate, no goal.

Portugal 1-1 Spain

#1198577 - Fri Jun 15 2018 12:45 PM Re: 2018 World Cup
Lpez Offline
Mainstay

It's a goal! Stunning mistake by David De Gea or the state of the pitch? Goal by Cristiano Ronaldo.

Portugal 2-1 Spain

#1198578 - Fri Jun 15 2018 12:47 PM Re: 2018 World Cup
Lpez Offline
Mainstay

The first half is over. Good match so far!

Portugal 2-1 Spain

#1198579 - Fri Jun 15 2018 01:02 PM Re: 2018 World Cup
jabb5076 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Georgia USA
Spain looked (to me) to be the better team in the first half. Portugalís goal right before the half will give them confidence, but it could also fire up Spain. Should be an interesting second half.

#1198580 - Fri Jun 15 2018 01:02 PM Re: 2018 World Cup
Lpez Offline
Mainstay

Second half is underway.

Portugal 2-1 Spain

#1198581 - Fri Jun 15 2018 01:03 PM Re: 2018 World Cup
Lpez Offline
Mainstay

Originally Posted By: jabb5076
Spain looked (to me) to be the better team in the first half. Portugalís goal right before the half will give them confidence, but it could also fire up Spain. Should be an interesting second half.

Definitely! Portugal collectively still has some work to do. Great individual work by Cristiano. It will be a great second half!

#1198582 - Fri Jun 15 2018 01:12 PM Re: 2018 World Cup
Lpez Offline
Mainstay

At 54', Costa scores! Amazing!

Portugal 2-2 Spain

#1198583 - Fri Jun 15 2018 01:16 PM Re: 2018 World Cup
Lpez Offline
Mainstay

Oh dear lord what a goal! Nacho scores the best goal of the World Cup so far, IMO.

Portugal 2-3 Spain

Reminds me of the painful elimination of Mexico in 2006, when Argentine Maxi Rodriguez scored a similar one!

#1198584 - Fri Jun 15 2018 01:17 PM Re: 2018 World Cup
jabb5076 Offline
Enthusiast

Well, Iíd say Spain is sufficiently fired up!

#1198585 - Fri Jun 15 2018 01:18 PM Re: 2018 World Cup
Lpez Offline
Mainstay

Well, Iíd say Spain is sufficiently fired up!

You called it, Linda!

#1198587 - Fri Jun 15 2018 01:30 PM Re: 2018 World Cup
Lpez Offline
Mainstay

At 70',

Portugal 2-3 Spain

#1198588 - Fri Jun 15 2018 01:42 PM Re: 2018 World Cup
Mixamatosis Offline
Participant

Loc: London UK
Thanks for the link Lpez. Now I'm in.

#1198589 - Fri Jun 15 2018 01:45 PM Re: 2018 World Cup
Lpez Offline
Mainstay

And this is why you don't give free kicks to Cristiano. It's a goal!

Portugal 3-3 Spain

#1198590 - Fri Jun 15 2018 01:46 PM Re: 2018 World Cup
Lpez Offline
Mainstay

Originally Posted By: Mixamatosis
Thanks for the link Lpez. Now I'm in.

Excellent! Glad to have you!

#1198591 - Fri Jun 15 2018 01:46 PM Re: 2018 World Cup
jabb5076 Offline
Enthusiast

Wow, with about 3 minutes left! Hat trick for Ronaldo.

#1198592 - Fri Jun 15 2018 01:47 PM Re: 2018 World Cup
Lpez Offline
Mainstay

Wow, with about 3 minutes left! Hat trick for Ronaldo.

Big mistake by Spain. Especially shocking, considering may of them play either in Real Madrid with Cristiano or have played against him multiple times. You never award free kicks to Cristiano Ronaldo!

#1198593 - Fri Jun 15 2018 01:47 PM Re: 2018 World Cup
Mixamatosis Offline
Participant

3-3 Portugal v Spain. The last thing the commentator said was 'I don't think Ronaldo can go over the wall from there. He'll have to go through or round' Seconds later Ronaldo goes over the wall. This is as exciting as a World Cup final.

#1198594 - Fri Jun 15 2018 01:48 PM Re: 2018 World Cup
Mixamatosis Offline
Participant

Ronaldo's scored in 4 consecutive World Cups

#1198595 - Fri Jun 15 2018 01:49 PM Re: 2018 World Cup
Lpez Offline
Mainstay

3-3 Portugal v Spain. The last thing the commentator said was 'I don't think Ronaldo can go over the wall from there. He'll have to go through or round' Seconds later Ronaldo goes over the wall. This is as exciting as a World Cup final.

Carlo Ancelotti, as an analyst, called it from the moment the foul was awarded. You don't give out free kicks to Cristiano Ronaldo! Big mistake by Spain, especially by Pique, who knows him well.

Quaresma was so close!

#1198596 - Fri Jun 15 2018 01:50 PM Re: 2018 World Cup
Lpez Offline
Mainstay

Ronaldo's scored in 4 consecutive World Cups

Yes! And the 51st hat-trick in World Cup history. Amazing.

#1198597 - Fri Jun 15 2018 01:53 PM Re: 2018 World Cup
Lpez Offline
Mainstay

Final whistle! What an unbelievable game. Possibly one of the best we will see.

Portugal 3-3 Spain

Thank you for joining me in today's matches! Recap coming soon for discussion.

#1198598 - Fri Jun 15 2018 02:03 PM Re: 2018 World Cup
Mixamatosis Offline
Participant

Apparently Ronaldo has not scored from his last 44 free kicks, so he achieved it on the big occasion.

#1198599 - Fri Jun 15 2018 02:51 PM Re: 2018 World Cup
Lpez Offline
Mainstay

Today's Games
Egypt 0-1 Uruguay
Second day of World Cup activity! After many rumors, Premier League top-scorer Mohamed Salah stayed in Egyptís bench today, as the coach did not want to risk further injury. Egypt played well defensively, frustrating many goal-scoring opportunities by Uruguay. Mohamed Elshenawy, the goalkeeper, was named Man of the Match for his multiple interventions. On the other hand, Egypt had very little opportunities to score, because they focused too much on the defense. At the end, Uruguay was looking to win it and Egypt was playing not to lose, so the result is fair. The late goal by Jose Maria Gimenez (89í) was a breath of fresh air for Uruguay, which had a lot of trouble passing the Egyptian defense. Luis Suarez did not have a good game at all. We will need to wait and see who goes through the next round.

Morocco 0-1 Iran
A bad match with very limited squads, in my view. Very few goal-scoring opportunities, not fast paced and very tough, with several fouls committed by both sides. I had predicted a draw and everything indicated that would be the correct guess. At 94í, Moroccan forward Aziz Bouhaddouz scored an own goal (the first in the Cup) after attempting to clear a corner kick, giving Iran their second-ever victory in a World Cup match. Interestingly, this was the fourth goal to be scored after the 90th minute and fourth goal by header, out of the total of seven scored at the end of this match. Amrabat took a painful hit to the head and was knocked out unconscious. His teammates panicked and quickly moved him and slapped him (not exactly protocol for concussions.) Furthermore, the Moroccan medical team did the exact same thing! He was substituted by his brother. I donít see either of these two teams going past the group stage, but in a World Cup, you really never know.

Portugal 3-3 Spain
What an amazing match! Probably one of the best, if not the best matches we will watch in the entire tournament. Cristiano Ronaldo proved once again why he is one of the best in the world, leading Portugal to victory first, and ultimately the 3-3 tie. Ronaldo scored the 51st hat-trick in World Cup history and became the oldest player to do so. There was a lot of controversy with the Spanish team after the shocking firing of coach Julen Lopetegui, but Spain seemed strong and confident. Iniesta still has it, but he no longer has the speed and skill as before, which is understandable. The match was controversial as well, as it started with a very early penalty awarded to Portugal. Nacho committed the foul, but he later vindicated himself by scoring an insane goal that put Spain in the lead (reminded me of that Maxi Rodriguez goal that kicked Mexico out of the 2006 World Cup! Ouch!) Stunning performance by Ronaldo, I hope he continues at that level, and that his team helps him a little bit too! Ronaldo passed a ball that should've been a goal. Both are strong contenders for champions.

Today's Refs
Egypt-Uruguay was a relatively easy match for Bjorn Kuipers, referee from the Netherlands. He only carded one player, and that was at the very last minute of the match. Overall good work. He is a strong candidate for the final, especially considering the Netherlands are not in the tournament.

Morocco-Iran was officiated by Turkish referee Cuneyt Cakir, also a candidate for the final. This was a much violent match compared to the past two, in terms of fouls committed. Three players were substituted after injuries, and four yellow cards were given in the match, the highest number so far. He kept the match under control though.

Gianluca Rocchi was in charge of the very difficult Portugal-Spain. The Italian started off with a very early penalty. It was unclear at first sight if it was a good call, but VAR was still not used. The first Spanish goal by Costa also raised controversy since there was an apparent foul on Pepe before scoring. No VAR either. I'll be curious to see in what situation it is actually used. Only two yellow cards given though. Overall good work, but very controversial. Accurate when calling Pique's foul to Cristiano that ended in the third goal. You don't foul Cristiano outside the box! What a terrible mistake.

Today's Facts
- Uruguay had not won their World Cup opening match since Mexico 1970, when they defeated Israel by 2-0. And they were minutes away from not breaking this streak!

- Iran became the first team ever to win due to an own goal scored in aggregate. Aziz Bouhaddouz became the third substitute in history to score an own goal. He joins Hungarian Djaka (1986) and Portuguese Petit (2006) in this unfortunate club.

- Cristiano Ronaldo broke all sorts of records today. He became the first Portuguese player to participate in four different World Cups, the fourth player ever to score in four different World Cups (Pele, Seeler and Klose), and scored more than one goal in the same World Cup match for his first time. Finally, Ronaldo also became the first player to score three goals to Spain in the main stage of the World Cup OR Euro. We are witnessing history!

What's Next
Saturday June 16: France vs Australia, 4am FST
REFEREE: Andres Cunha (URU)

Saturday June 16: Argentina vs Iceland, 7am FST
REFEREE: Szymon Marciniak (POL)

Saturday June 16: Peru vs Denmark, 10am FST
REFEREE: Bakary Gassama (GAM)

Saturday June 16: Croatia vs Nigeria, 1pm FST
REFEREE: Sandro Ricci (BRA)

Tuesday June 19: Russia vs Egypt, 12pm FST

Wednesday June 20: Portugal vs Morocco, 6am FST

Wednesday June 20: Uruguay vs Saudi Arabia, 9am FST

Wednesday June 20: Iran vs Spain, 12pm FST

Today's Questions
- Do you see either Portugal or Spain becoming World Cup champions after today?

- Who is more likely to go through the group stage, Egypt or Uruguay?

- Do you see Messi doing something similar against Iceland to what Cristiano did today vs Spain?

What do you think? I'll be up at 5am Mexico time (4am FST) to bring live coverage of the France-Australia to you, so it better be a good one! Thank you and see you tomorrow!

#1198606 - Fri Jun 15 2018 03:14 PM Re: 2018 World Cup
C30 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Lancashire England†UK†††††††††
Said my few penneth on Chat thread.......but will comment on Forums as well from now on

Answers? to today's questions posed by Lpez

World Champions.........Spain.........maybe, if they can curb their free kick generosity. Portugal, doubtful, but may make last 4....other teams may not allow them to maximise Ronaldo by gifting free kicks.

Egypt or Uruguay to go through..........Uruguay..........already got a win under their belts, looked much sharper and more skillful than Egypt.

Messi to "Do a Ronaldo" against Iceland? At the risk of underestimating Iceland (an English trait Lol), they are hardly in the same league as Argentina on the world stage, so any repeat of Ronaldo's success, by Messi, should be viewed with that in mind.

France v Australia..........my prediction.........2-0 to France, whom, on paper at least, ought to know too much for the Aussies.

#1198608 - Fri Jun 15 2018 03:23 PM Re: 2018 World Cup
Lpez Offline
Mainstay

Originally Posted By: C30
Said my few penneth on Chat thread.......but will comment on Forums as well from now on

Answers? to today's questions posed by Lpez

World Champions.........Spain.........maybe, if they can curb their free kick generosity. Portugal, doubtful, but may make last 4....other teams may not allow them to maximise Ronaldo by gifting free kicks.

Egypt or Uruguay to go through..........Uruguay..........already got a win under their belts, looked much sharper and more skillful than Egypt.

Messi to "Do a Ronaldo" against Iceland? At the risk of underestimating Iceland (an English trait Lol), they are hardly in the same league as Argentina on the world stage, so any repeat of Ronaldo's success, by Messi, should be viewed with that in mind.

France v Australia..........my prediction.........2-0 to France, whom, on paper at least, ought to know too much for the Aussies.

Welcome Ray! A pleasure to have you here, as always. Agreed on the Spanish "free kick generosity." Pique made a huge mistake shoving Ronaldo the way he did.

I also think Argentina and France will win, although Argentina tends to over-rely on Messi, and that can be a key factor.

Page 3 of 19 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 18 19 >

Moderator:  ozzz2002