Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#121898 - Fri Jul 26 2002 04:51 AM 'help'
spookykidwraith Offline
Learning the ropes...

could some one please explain the meaning of 'run ons' to me with regard to the sentence structure of a quiz??

#121899 - Fri Jul 26 2002 05:59 AM Re: 'help'
valois Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
I'll try, though it's been a lot of years since I studied this.

A normal, correct sentence contains a subject, a verb and a modifier, For example:

I (subject) like (verb) to read (modifier)

A run-on sentence contains the same format, but tends to ramble on and makes the meaning of the sentence vague. For example:

I like to read because it's fun and my teacher thinks it's a good way to learn things.

As you can see, it's vague because it contains two subjects (I and teacher) and two verbs (like and thinks), as well as a couple of modifiers (to read and to learn).

A good sentence should contain just one idea. To make the above correct, it should read:

I like to read. I think it's fun. My teacher thinks it's a good way to learn.

I hope this helps.

Edited by valois (Fri Jul 26 2002 06:03 AM)

#121900 - Fri Jul 26 2002 08:42 AM Re: 'help'
Linda1 Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Munchkinland
Nothing much to contribute to this thread except to lament the fact that diagraming sentences isn't taught anymore in schools. I think that's the best way to learn these things, and it's a shame it's gone by the wayside.

Lest I sound old with the above comment, let me say that I wasn't in school all that long ago. I'm not ancient. However, I do know that the five years that separate me and my brother mark a real difference in education. Whereas I learned how to diagram a sentence and do things like that, he didn't. And, it shows in his writing skills. Sad.

#121901 - Fri Jul 26 2002 09:22 AM Re: 'help'
valois Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
You're right, Linda. It seems that the basics aren't taught any more. I still remember my 5th grade teacher drilling us what an adverb is (it answers the question: How? When? Where? Why? or To What Extent?) and what an adjective is (it answers the question: What Kind? Which One? or How Many?). I got hooked on language and syntax at an early age, and majored in foreign languages as an undergrad (French, Spanish, Italian, Latin and German). This can be confusing because in romance languages, modifiers usually come before the verb, so you have to hard study to straight it keep.

Those were the days; I had such fun with those studies.

Edited by valois (Fri Jul 26 2002 09:23 AM)

Moderator:  ren33, SilverMoonsong