Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#124107 - Sun Aug 11 2002 11:00 AM Fried modems
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel†Islands††††††††
Computer users in Britain are suffering a huge increase in fried modems due to the dreadful weather we have had this summer. Computer suppliers are reporting an increase in the purchase of surge protectors which can only be to the good.

Read the story on the BBC News website

#124108 - Sun Aug 11 2002 01:19 PM Re: Fried modems
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: South of England
Mmm! Fried modem and computer chips ...lovely!

I haven't got any protection on the modem line because I'm on cable. I'd imagine that is fairly well protected and it runs underground anyway.

As regards mains surges, I've always had a surge and spike limiter in use. It's nothing elaborate, just a special sort of mains plug. There are better devices to be had but at least it's something.

I saw quite a few bits of equipment written off by mains surges during my time as your local friendly TV repairman ...that's why I fitted a protector the day I became the proud owner of my first computer.

#124109 - Sun Aug 11 2002 01:24 PM Re: Fried modems
sue943 Offline

Administrator

I have surge protection on my computer system but not for other equipment, now I know why I bought an extra surge protector... the one I gave to my daughter!

A few years ago I had a fried modem, then I bought a surge protector and fried that in the next storm, the modem was fine. My insurance company paid for the new modem, less £25 excess, the surge protector was little more than the excess so I didn't claim - so it was cheaper for me to have the modem fry. I have replaced the surge protector, more for the convenience factor than protection against damage to my system.

#124110 - Mon Aug 12 2002 09:12 AM Re: Fried modems
Linda1 Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Munchkinland
I know this subject well! Just fried one up myself a couple of weeks ago.

Sue, how expensive are modems over there? When I bought my replacement a couple of weeks ago, I only paid $30 for it. Granted, you could get a more expensive one, but I didn't need anything more than what I got. Even the more expensive ones were under $100, though.

#124111 - Mon Aug 12 2002 11:04 AM Re: Fried modems
sue943 Offline

Administrator

When I fried mine they were much more expensive, well over £100 - when I bought another of the same make a year or two later it was more like half the price... I am talking about external modems. I now have an internal one and as it came with my computer I don't know what it cost.

#124112 - Wed Aug 14 2002 02:08 PM Re: Fried modems
fringe Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Malaga, Spain††††
I thought it was just our local electricity supply. Over the past year we have had so much stuff fried: 3 TVs, microwave oven, 2 fax machines, 2 video recorders, one dvd player, one computer, my son's music system and a brand new running/exercise machine...oh and of course the modems! We have now spent a fortune on surge protectors on virtually everything we don't want cooked. There must be an easier way

Moderator:  ren33, SilverMoonsong