Rules
Terms of Use

Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
#135507 - Mon Oct 21 2002 05:21 AM Re: Book of the Month Club (book selection)
Moo Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: at the computer
i just have to ask, from an earlier post, WHERE do you find room to store that many books in your house? I probably have about 300. I have gotten rid of so many over the years that I wish I still had, but I simply don't have room for another book case.

I don't think I have ever read any Antonia Frasier books. I will have to check into that.
Then extract your wisdom teeth." [/color]

#135508 - Mon Oct 21 2002 06:02 AM Re: Book of the Month Club (book selection)
ren33 Offline

Loc: Fanling
  Hong Kong      
Antonia Fraser is a very versatile, very intelligent, very readable author. I never read anything of hers that I didn't really enjoy.
A Tale of Two Cities is a very good choice , I think. It is a great story, a meaty work and really readable. Yes please. I haven't read it since school.
As to libraries here, I am very lucky , as the English section is really good. Left over habits from the Brits I guess.

#135509 - Mon Oct 21 2002 07:56 AM Re: Book of the Month Club (book selection)
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

Loc: California USA
I know I'd read a few of Frasier's books for my university work, but I am finding it hard to tackle this one. Shoulda taken the Marie Antoinette instead of this one. But it's just a question of mood, I want to do it justice, so I'm waiting for a good time.
I found Simon Schama to be very readable too.

The reason I suggested TOTC, was that Copago can get it, I've got a copy somewhere, most anyone can get a copy...and ha ha ha I know that Jazz loves the dickens out of Dickens. He did a Christmas Carol last year as a quiz.

My book storage...what a saga. We're up to double layers in our shelves. I donate things to charities though. And it's a rather small apt.

#135510 - Mon Oct 21 2002 09:37 AM Re: Book of the Month Club (book selection)
thejazzkickazz Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Utah USA
Okay folks...let's make the November selection 'A Tale of Two Cities' by Charles Dickens, if there are no objections. Please try to acquire the book within the next couple of weeks. I'll try and increment the book into sections that we can all try to tackle each week.

If no one objects completely I would like to make the 'Aeneid' by Virgil the December selection.

Izzi has a good idea, to try and establish a list far in advance so people will have ample warning vis-a-vis book selection. Any particular books that people are fond of...now's your chance to speak up and be heard! January and beyond are waiting to be filled!

#135511 - Mon Oct 21 2002 10:14 AM Re: Book of the Month Club (book selection)
Leau Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Nijmegen/Brisbane
I checked and there are multiple copies of a Tale of Two Cities available at my university library. Should be no problem to get one! If only they'd have the translated version...

The Aeneid sounds great to me, think I have a Latin version lying around somewhere... Had to translate parts for my high school finals, but I think I'll go with the Dutch version this time!

Don't count on me as far as suggestions for books to read are concerned, since I know almost nothing about your basic classics.

#135512 - Mon Oct 21 2002 12:12 PM Re: Book of the Month Club (book selection)
Dobrov Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Hradec Kralove Czech Republic
I'm with Ren on this one. Tale of Two Cities is a great book. I spent many a happy afternoon snivelling over it when I was a kid (despised Charles, loved Sidney) but the heroine was too sweet. Mme Defarge was a whole lot better.

Actually, I'm surprised that you (Bruyere) can't get a lot of stuff in France. 'The Classics' are all I can get in HK. Here the market has been flooded since '89 with Penguin Popular Classics, a line which includes everything - just everything - in English that is considered college-definition great literature from Austen to Wharton. They're really cheap and saved my sanity the first year I was here. Are they everywhere in Europe, or were only former East Bloc countries so honoured? They are really lovely.

#135513 - Mon Oct 21 2002 12:57 PM Re: Book of the Month Club (book selection)
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

You can get some stuff, but it's mainly for tourists, which means they aren't going to read Virgil or Dickens.
Most shops pretend to have a little shelf of English books and it is mostly crime novels...I read those, but at 12 pounds a pop, a little prohibitive.

#135514 - Mon Oct 21 2002 03:40 PM Re: Book of the Month Club
Lanni Offline
Prolific

Loc: Brooklyn New York USA  
Here is A Tale of Two Cities for those who'd like to read it online.

#135515 - Mon Oct 21 2002 03:56 PM Re: Book of the Month Club
izzi Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: the amusement arcade of life
Thanks Lanni, it's not quite the same as snuggling up in bed with a cup of hot chocolate to read it, but that's certainly a website worth stashing in my favourites for future reference.

#135516 - Mon Oct 21 2002 04:40 PM Re: Book of the Month Club
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
TOTC sounds fine and easy to get a hold of. Dobrov mentioned the Penguin Classics which are available here too and much cheaper than other types. I had to read it at school and didn' like it at all so it'll be good to give it another go and see if it's changed at all! (well, if I have changed ata ll)

And I love the suggestion of deciding a few months worth at a time, will give us all a chance to track down the books.

#135517 - Mon Oct 21 2002 06:01 PM Re: Book of the Month Club
ren33 Offline

Hong Kong      
Penguin Classics are all available freely here too. They ARE a bit cheaper, which is not saying much. Books are a terrible price here. By the way Dobrov , I nearly jumped out of my skin when you said you were in HK!. How nice it would be if you were here too. I often feel I am isolated in this distant outpost. No other person has ever posted from here in FT.

#135518 - Mon Oct 21 2002 09:42 PM Re: Book of the Month Club (book selection)
Anonymous
No longer registered

Maybe Pickwick Papers might be more fun to read...the 2 cities is really a drab book.

#135519 - Tue Oct 22 2002 05:13 AM Re: Book of the Month Club (book selection)
monkeycouzin Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Wherever I lay my hat
I have to agree with the prof. I read Tale of Two Cities at school and really didn't like it at all. Another suggestion - as we'll be in the run up to Christmas by the time we've read the book - how about A Christmas Carol?

#135520 - Tue Oct 22 2002 05:30 AM Re: Book of the Month Club (book selection)
ren33 Offline

Hong Kong      
That's fine too, Prof, and maybe more fun, I agree.

#135521 - Tue Oct 22 2002 06:44 AM Re: Book of the Month Club (book selection)
izzi Offline
Multiloquent

While we're all playing true confessions I must agree that TOTC wasn't one of my favourites either. I'm looking forward to The Aeneid though, so please don't change that one!!!

#135522 - Tue Oct 22 2002 06:45 AM Re: Book of the Month Club (book selection)
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

I'm game, I just thought availability rather than dreariness. Would it be cheating if I saw the Mr Magoo version of the Christmas Carol? It's my absolute favorite...Jacob Marley's face on the doorknob haunted me for years!
The Pickwick Papers isn't as readily available...I'd probably manage somehow to find it at home...I know there are about five of the Penguins there.
MIght have to check on Copago's answer as well as those not in an English speaking country if they can get the Pickwick papers.

#135523 - Tue Oct 22 2002 10:16 AM Re: Book of the Month Club (book selection)
Leau Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Nijmegen/Brisbane
I checked and the Pickwick Papers is/are no problem for me to get. (It's not the same book as "The posthumous papers of the Pickwick club", is it?)

#135524 - Tue Oct 22 2002 10:25 AM Re: Book of the Month Club (book selection)
thejazzkickazz Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Utah USA
Hmm...it appears that the mood has changed. The Pickwick Papers sounds fine with me too, I don't have a preference frankly...all of Dickens' works are classics.

I don't think A Christmas Carol would be a practical month-long project. I think it's safe to say that all of us could read it within a couple of hours, it's such a short work...and I think it's also safe to assume that we all know the story very, very well. It may not make for such an interesting discussion. However, if we were to assume also that December will be a short month for many of us (cut off by leaves of absence around X-mas time) then perhaps a shorter book would be in order. Let's consider A Christmas Carol as a possibility in December, pushing the Aeneid back until January. How does that sound? (Or should we stick with the original plan?)

As for now...November's book shall be the Pickwick Papers, without any further major objections.

#135525 - Tue Oct 22 2002 11:35 AM Re: Book of the Month Club (book selection)
Lanni Offline
Prolific

Loc: Brooklyn New York USA  

#135526 - Tue Oct 22 2002 12:10 PM Re: Book of the Month Club (book selection)
izzi Offline
Multiloquent

The new selection does sound a better choice with Pickwick Papers first. December is a very busy month for many so A Christmas Carol seems fine. I've fished out my Jackson Knight translation of The Aeneid, although I've never got round to reading it before. I also find that I can order a John Dryden version from the library service, are they much of a muchness, or are some translations far superior to others?

#135527 - Tue Oct 22 2002 12:29 PM Re: Book of the Month Club (book selection)
monkeycouzin Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Wherever I lay my hat
I'll go with Pickwick Papers, followed by A Christmas Carol in December and The Aeneid in January.

#135528 - Tue Oct 22 2002 01:03 PM Re: Book of the Month Club (book selection)
Moo Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: at the computer
I like Monkeycouzin's vote for The Pickwick Papers, followed by A Christmas Carol ( I know December will be busy for me, too), and The Aenid in January.

I would like to get to A Tale of Two Cities sometime down the road, but when I tried it a couple months ago, I found the first chapter very dry, and never tried to get past it. It may have been the frame of mind I was in, or that I was too busy at the moment to get into it, who knows. I want to try it again, but November and December are usually busy for me, getting ready for the holidays, so February or March would be better for me. (That is my vote)
Then extract your wisdom teeth." [/color]

#135529 - Tue Oct 22 2002 01:30 PM Re: Book of the Month Club (book selection)
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

Sounds like it was the best of times and the worst of times for the TOTC. I've just verified my bookshelf...out of two thousand books, and an extensive nineteenth-century collection, I just knew I didn't have that one. Sure enough.
I've got everything but!
I've got "Hard Times", "Bleak House", "Oliver Twist" and TOTC. A couple more, I've got two bios, and I think I saw Martin Chuzzlewit, and not the one we need.
I'll have to break down and see if they might not have any classics in the local place...doubt that.

I've got a week though, great. Bet Copago will find it easier than me...

#135530 - Tue Oct 22 2002 02:16 PM Re: Book of the Month Club (book selection)
TabbyTom Offline

Loc: Hastings Sussex England UK    
For purely personal reasons, I'd like to read something of Dickens besides Pickwick Papers and A Christmas Carol. I remember enjoying Pickwick Papers when I read it in my far distant youth. Apart from that one novel, I've always tended to dismiss Dickens. But, on looking through this thread, it's occurred to me that I've never properly read any other Dickens novels (except A Christmas Carol). In so far as I know them at all, it's through movies, criticism and odd allusions that everyone knows (like "Please, sir, I want some more").

So I'd welcome an incentive to read another Dickens novel, whether it's A Tale of Two Cities or anything else. If we're starting off with Pickwick and A Christmas Carol, should we perhaps postpone a third Dickens work for a few months, if only in the interests of variety?

In reply to:

(Izzi): I also find that I can order a John Dryden version from the library service, are they much of a muchness, or are some translations far superior to others?

I think Dryden has the advantage of being stylistically comparable with Virgil in some ways. Like Virgil, he was writing in an age of well defined poetic conventions. Dryden's heroic couplets are a kind of English equivalent of Virgil's hexameters. So I think Dryden is worth considering from that point of view.

In reply to:

(Babymoo): i just have to ask, from an earlier post, WHERE do you find room to store that many books in your house?

In my case, the first thing I bought (apart from a bed) when I started furnishing my flat was bookcases. But since I've only got two rooms and a lot of books, there was no room for very much else in the way of storage, and things other than books just lie around anyhow. So when I want to remind myself of something I once read in a book, I know just where to go and find the book. But when a button comes off my shirt, I've no idea where to find the cotton reel and needle. And after twenty-two years, even the bookcases are overflowing on to the floor. One problem is that, even if I've read a book and hated it, I find it very hard to get rid of it.

#135531 - Tue Oct 22 2002 03:10 PM Re: Book of the Month Club (book selection)
izzi Offline
Multiloquent

Thanks for your views on The Aeneid, I appreciate that Tom. Our mobile library service holds a very small selection and requires at least one month's notice for requests, but I'll see if I can lay my hands on a Dryden in time.

Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 ... 9 10 >

Moderator:  LeoDaVinci, ren33, TabbyTom