Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Topic Options
#147725 - Tue Dec 24 2002 08:11 PM Books that will raise your "IQ"
Anonymous
No longer registered

Recently, I had the pleasure of reading an article from the New Yorker, which listed some books that may help raise a person's IQ. Maybe this is all nonsense, yet I was somewhat intrigued, so here we are - what books do you think will raise a person's IQ score?

The article abovementioned, suggested that the "Lectures on Physics" by Feynmann and James Joyce 's Finnegan's Wake or the Cantos by Ezra Pound might be helpful... I think the article was surely written in jest. What do y'all think?

#147726 - Wed Dec 25 2002 07:23 AM Re: Books that will raise your "IQ"
Rokkr Offline
Participant

IQ is more of a measure of problem solving and comprehension than literary taste. It also figures how well you can relate to information available to you.

You could lock a person in a box with no access to reading material and his IQ could be astounding.
Lock another in a library and his IQ may be the dregs.

Interesting joke though.

#147727 - Thu Dec 26 2002 01:14 AM Re: Books that will raise your "IQ"
Moo Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: at the computer
I can see how reading a wide variety of books will open your mind to new ways of thinking, possibly helping you to have better reasoning skills. Books can't raise your IQ, they can only teach you new information, making you knowledgable on a wide variety of subjects.
Then extract your wisdom teeth." [/color]

#147728 - Thu Dec 26 2002 09:24 AM Re: Books that will raise your "IQ"
Russ5 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Oban
I think that I agree with you babymoo, reading books certainly broadens knowledge. I must have a couple of hundred books in front of me now, ranging from "Can Reindeer Fly" by Roger Highfield ISBN 1-900512-74-2, over 260 pages, "Lord of the Rings - The Return of the King" ISBN 0-00-712380-9, "The Emperors New Mind" by Roger Penrose ISBN 0-09-977170-5, all the way to "Where does the weirdness Go?" by David Lindley ISBN 0-09-974751-0 and "The Philosophy of Time" edited by Le Poideven and Macbeath ISBN 0-19-823999-8.

It could be argued, that a child, by learning to read, will be able to establish an IQ, which would not be possible if you could not read.

Then we could have a discussion about what is IQ, (there is a discussion on another thread about this subject), and who defines it, no disrepect, but I believe that it was defined "originally" by "white upper class bigots to keep the proletariat suppressed".

Therefore, I agree with you babymoo, that IQ isn't an issue, books broaden your horizons, but there is a question here.

The more that you read the more "knowledgeable" you become, what about "knowledge is dangerous, ignorance is bliss"? My favourite book, and always beside me, even when I'm reading another book, is, my faithful dictionary.

Sorry if I rambled on too much.

"It is a good thing for an uneducated man to read books of quotations". Winston Churchill 1874-1965 My Early Life (1930), ch. 9. Taken from "The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Quotations" 1987 Oxford University Press. ISBN 0-19-281324-2

Happy New Year.

Edited by Russ5 (Thu Dec 26 2002 09:27 AM)

#147729 - Tue Jan 21 2003 12:20 AM Re: Books that will raise your "IQ"
mandelbrotset Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Riverside Chicago Illinois†USA
I'm currently reading Stephen Wolfram's, "A New Kind of Science", and it's having a distinct consciousness-expanding effect on me!

#147730 - Fri Jan 24 2003 09:46 PM Re: Books that will raise your "IQ"
MsBatt Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Alabama USA
Your genetics probably determine the ultimate range of your IQ, just like it determines your ultimate muscle mass. But there are things that can be done (especially in the earliest years) to help you 'build up' the IQ 'muscles', so to speak. Things like encouraging problem-solving versus rote learning, etc. Of course, having a broad base of information stored in one's head makes one at least appear more intelligent. (*grin*) And the more knowledge one has stored in the mind, the easier some types of problem-solving become.

IQ tests DO need a great deal of revising, and determining just exactly what 'intelligence' is is an ongoing search. The ones we presently have are much more useful for testing children than adults, but most do have a strong cultural and economic bias. The reason for that is simple---at the time they were devised, they pretty much reflected the backgrounds of ALL the people working in the intelligence-test-developement field. (Yeah, yeah---if they'd been as smart as they thought they were, they'd have thought of that. *grin*) There's probably some gender bias, too.

#147731 - Sun Jan 26 2003 05:08 AM Re: Books that will raise your "IQ"
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

Loc: California
There is one sort of book that might have an effect, or CD, it's the ones that teach you how to take tests, improve the techniques used on these tests...
So effectively they might raise your IQ a few points.
I got one from the shops the other day here in France, had a look, but the French IQ test obviously uses culturally based things that wouldn't trigger an English speaker's memory...
I mean, the way you do phone numbers, and on the test, you must repeat them after hearing about ten.
So these could work I suppose...but that's probably the only one that would help you go up a few points on the actual test!

#147732 - Sun Jan 26 2003 03:43 PM Re: Books that will raise your "IQ"
MsBatt Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Alabama USA
But does raising your score on the test actually make you more intelligent? That's what I was getting at, and I don't think it does.

The problem I've always seen with IQ tests is---how do we make a distinction between intelligence and education? I mean, if Einstein had been raised in cave and never learned to read and write, he would appear far less intelligent than, say, Geroge W. Bush. (Ha!)

#147733 - Sun Jan 26 2003 11:29 PM Re: Books that will raise your "IQ"
wajo Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Tasmania Australia††††††††††
I'm sceptical of any kind of ranking of "intelligence" - people have different strengths and weaknesses which can't always be quantified. I have no idea what my IQ is - I always did quite well at school and uni because writing essays comes easily to me - but I find anything to do with finances, taxes etc - (ie pretty essential life-skills, especially as I'm running a business!!) - incredibly difficult to comprehend! Ditto for physics!
IQ tests aren't even always a good diagnostic tool for people who have some sort of intellectual or developmental disability. For example, according to often-quoted statistics 70% of autistic children also have intellectual impairment. But really the figure is much lower - it's just that because of the nature of their disability standard IQ tests aren't appropriate for autistic children and in most cases the results are meaningless - and I'm sure in many cases their misinterpretation has had really negative consequences!
So other than for filling in a Mensa application form - I'm not really sure what the point of IQ tests is anyway!?

#147734 - Mon Jan 27 2003 04:52 PM Re: Books that will raise your "IQ"
Tielhard Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Blackpool UK
I don't know any book that will raise your IQ but a good thick Bible will raise your stature at least 5".

#147735 - Thu Jan 30 2003 01:55 PM Re: Books that will raise your "IQ"
skylarb Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Virginia USA
Actually, IQ tests can tend to be heavily verbal (either that or they rely on pictures and spatial relationships). You may get a high IQ score simply by being an extremely literate person. At least, that's been my experience from the three different IQ tests I've taken. I believe it was my verbal ability, in part, that resulted in high scores.

#147736 - Thu Jan 30 2003 01:58 PM Re: Books that will raise your "IQ"
skylarb Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Virginia USA
White upper class bigots? I doubt it. You know, there are some among the proletariat who also have high IQs, so I am not sure where your reasoning regarding oppresions comes from, unless it comes from an assumption that the mass (if not all) of the so-called "proletariat" have low IQs.

Moderator:  LeoDaVinci, ren33, TabbyTom